Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-15-2018, 08:30 PM
Major League

Default IPOW: International Pro Olympic Wrestling

So I decided it was time to create a promotion and do another dynasty report. As bad as I am at booking storyline and entertainment based promotions. I've always been intrigued by tournaments and things of that nature. I ran some ideas through my head, and in giving props to alpha2117 and BHK1978, I've come up with something that I'm almost 100% sure has never been done (at least if it has, I've never seen it.) I'm converting pro wrestling into an Olympic sport. How, you ask? Well, here's the setup.

For now, the promotion will be called International Pro Olympic Wrestling, or IPOW for short. That may change depending on feedback. I haven't decided what size the promotion will be or anything like that, but the format will be seasonal. For every season, I will be having 6 representatives from each of the 7 game worlds (USA, Mexico, Canada, Japan, Europe, British Isles, and Australia). I will have another 6 representatives from the Rest of the World (could be Indian, American Samoan, etc. I'm going strictly nationality here.) 4 males, 2 females for each. I will have 3 different G1 style tournaments. With 32 males and 16 females, the females will have a women's tournament. 2 blocks, 8 participants, each block will have 1 participant from each game world, chosen at random. Round robin, the block winners will compete for the Women's title.

Now to the men. For each game area, there will be 2 singles matches. The winners go to the men's singles tournament, the losers pair up and go to the men's tag team tournament. Both the same style, with the only difference being the Tag Team tournament will have 1 block only. Anybody confused yet? If you have any questions, let me know.

This will be done seasonally, 1 set of tournaments per calendar year (still trying to figure out if I want to be a touring fed or what, I'm leaning that way).

This is where Olympic Style comes in: for each match, the winner gets 3 points, the loser gets 0, and if there is a time limit draw, 1 point. No DQs or countouts allowed, all wins by pin or submission. At least for the 1st season, that could change later on. This points will be tallied by country, and after all the tournaments, we'll give medals (gold, silver, bronze). The last place competitor in each tournament will be dropped for the next seasons tournaments and replaced with someone else in that game area. For example, if say Johnny Impact finishes last in his block, he'll be dropped from the promotion and replaced. Still confused? If I can clear up anything, let me know.

How will the matches be determined you ask? Well, for every card, 2 matches will be decided by reader vote. I'll tell which 2 matches, and after a set time (usually 24 hours) the voting will end. The rest of the matches will be strictly random, using a dice roller, so who knows what'll happen. For the reader vote matches, I'm hoping to get a minimum of 5 votes per match.

Tonight I will be working on setting up the promotion and securing the wrestlers for it. Over the next few days I will announce the national members for each game area, and start setting the first season of tournaments up. I'm open to suggestions on names for the tournaments. Stay tuned!
Unread 09-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Major League

My 48 initial contract offers are in, and let me tell you, some of them were tough! I tried to limit it to males and females that were unemployed. For USA, Canada, Mexico, and Japan it wasn't too bad, although I do have a fair amount of already employed wrestlers that I offered contracts to.

Europe, British Isles, and Rest of the World was really, really tough. I've offered contracts to a lot of people that I've never even heard of, just to fill spots. I might have to change up how I do this, and put extra emphasis on USA, Mexico, Canada, Japan, and England, since they seem to have the most wrestlers.

I'm thinking this idea may not work as well as I anticipated. It was really hard to break down Europe and British Isles. For Europe I tried to go non-English, and for British Isles I tried to stick with English, Scottish, Welsh, etc.

We'll give it a go for a season and see what happens, but changes may need to be made unfortunately. Once I hear back from all the contract offers, we'll see what I have and go from there.
Unread 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Major League

Also, if anybody else has any ideas on how to handle British Isles, Europe, and Rest of the World, let me know. If everybody signs that I sent a contract offer too, in both the male and female divisions, I'll have a mix of really known wrestlers and not so known wrestlers. The random dice rolls could see a lot of upsets for the not so known wrestlers.
Unread 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Major League

ok guys, the roster for Season 1 of IPOW is just about complete. I have decided to use 6 specific areas, and they are the United States, Japan, Mexico, Canada, The United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales) and the Rest of the World (anything else in Central/South America, Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia, etc).

As far as actual nations go, obviously United States, Mexico, Canada, and Japan are nations of their own. The UK and the Rest of World have been broken down into countries. There will be 14 countries represented in Season 1. The 4 above mentioned will always have 6 participants, while the others will vary. More on that later. There will be 3 separate G1 style type tournaments this season (and for future seasons as long as there is availability). Men's singles, men's tag team, and women's singles. The singles tournaments will have 2 blocks of 8 participants each, with each block represented by 8 different countries. Round robin, block winners face off in the championship. The tag team will have 6 tag teams, all from a different country. Round robin. Top 2 will compete for the Tag Team championship.

All champions will be back to defend their titles in the next Season, provided they want to come back. The bottom finisher in each tournament will immediately be dropped from the promotion (all wrestlers will sign 1 year contracts only and be renewed every year if they so choose). The 2 countries with the least total points will not be invited back next season (obviously this is a huge disadvantage to the countries that only have 1 or 2 participants). Every single match is worth points within the tournament and the nation challenge. 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. This includes the championship matches.

If anybody has any questions or comments, please let me know, as I am about to reveal the roster and personnel for Season 1.
Unread 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Major League

The Season 1 participants have been finalized, and to choose, I basically did a random draw. For some of the nations, especially on the female side, there are still a lot of "who is that" participant, but for the others, most of these guys are well known and have been signed to 1 year written contracts. The majority have been taken from ROH, LU, NJPW, or Impact (I'm certainly not making any friends here!)

Without access to graphics right now (I couldn't get all the graphics to work for the mod, and I still don't have patience for Photobucket), if there is a common wrestler that is known under a different name, I will announce that.

Here they are, broken down by nation:

Team USA (4 men, 2 women)- Austin Aries, James Storm, Jake Hager, Mr. Anderson, Madison Rayne, Celeste Bonin (Kaitlyn in WWE).

Team Mexico (4 men, 2 women)- Alberto El Patron, Pentagon, Fenix, Drago, Fabi Apache, Mari Apache.

Team Canada (4 men, 2 women)- Crazzy Steve, Petey Williams, Kenny Omega, Rene Dupree, Angel Williams (Angelina Love in TNA), Chelsea Green (Laurel Van Ness in TNA).

Team Japan (4 men, 2 women)- Kaz Hayashi, Kushida, SANADA, Toru Yano, Hikaru Shida, Makoto).

Team England (4 men)- Nick Aldis, Marty Scurll, Will Osprey, Zack Sabre Jr.

Team Puerto Rico (3 men)- Amazing Red, Carlito, Ricky Banderas (Mil Muertes in Lucha Underground).

Team Scotland (1 man, 2 women)- Grado, Isla Dawn, Kay Lee Ray.

Team Australia (2 women)- Tenille Dashwood (Emma in WWE), Madison Eagles.

Team Germany (2 women)- Katarina Leigh (Katarina in TNA), Alpha Female.

Team South Africa (2 men)- Dameon Duke (Adam Rose in WWE), PJ Black (Justin Gabriel in WWE).

Team Cuba (1 man)- Rocky Romero.

Team New Zealand (1 woman)- Toni Storm.

Team Philippines (1 man)- Shiima Xion (DJ Z in TNA).

Team Portugal (1 woman)- Shanna.

There are 28 men and 16 women in Season 1. That will be the standard format as long as I can make it work. If anybody wants a rundown on how the nations are divided, here it goes:

6- United States, Mexico, Canada, Japan
4- England
3- Puerto Rico, Scotland
2- Australia, Germany, South Africa
1- Cuba, New Zealand, Philippines, Portugal

As far as the staff goes, all staff, other than myself since I'm the owner, has been signed to 2 year contracts.

Announcer- Me
Color Commentator- Taz
Road Agents- Trish Stratus, Lance Storm, D'Lo Brown
Referees- Carley Rae, Brian Hebner, Jim Korderas, Jack Doan

Stratus, Rae, and Doan will mainly be used in the women's division, while Storm, Brown, Hebner, and Korderas will handle the mens tournaments.

If I feel the need for an authority figure (which I shouldn't based on the product of the company) it will be me.
Unread 09-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Major League

There will be initial men's matches to determine the participants in each of the singles and tag team pools for United States, Canada, Mexico, and Japan. They will each have 2 singles matches, with the winners going to separate blocks and the men's singles tournament, and the losers teaming up to represent their nation in the tag team tournament.

Puerto Rico, having 3 wrestlers, will send 1 to the singles tournament. Those 3 will have a 3 way dance to determine who represents Puerto Rico in the singles tournament. The other 2 will team up to represent Puerto Rico in the tag team tournament.

There will be 2 initial shows to decide this. The first show will feature the United States and Mexico. Those matches will be:

Mr. Anderson vs. Jake Hager (readers vote match)
Alberto El Patron vs. Pentagon (readers vote match)
James Storm vs. Austin Aries
Fenix vs. Drago

The second show will feature Canada, Japan, and Puerto Rico. Those matches are:

Crazzy Steve vs. Rene Dupree
Kaz Hayashi vs. Toru Yano
Petey Williams vs. Kenny Omega (readers vote match)
Kushida vs. Sanada (readers vote match)
Ricky Banderas vs. Amazing Red vs. Carlito (readers vote match)

I will run the first show on Thursday, and the second show on Saturday, so please get your votes in.
Unread 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Star

Fenix vs. Drago

My Take - Hager winning is the obvious way to go, ADR is problematic so I'd go with Pentagon, Storm with an upset, Fenix is a better longterm choice.

Dupree has star power, Kaz some profile, Omega is the class act here, the two other Japanese workers are a toss up but I like Sanada, Banderas has the power to stand up to other workers.
Unread 09-19-2018, 01:08 AM
Living Legend

Unread 09-19-2018, 02:03 AM
Hall of Fame

Fenix vs. Drago

Unread 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Major League

The first 2 shows will now be combined, as apparently being a new promotion, I can only start with 1 tv show, as nobody would negotiate for my 2nd show. So all of the matches listed previously will be on the same show.. along with 2 more matches. I forgot that England had qualifying matches that needed to be done. So here is the official first show card for IPOW: Unleashed!

Fenix vs. Drago
Nick Aldis vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scrull vs. Will Osprey (readers vote match)

Of course, this will be a 3 hour show, and then I will be dropping it down to 2 hours.

For those that have already sent in their reader votes, you can either send all your predictions/votes again, or you can just PM me your vote for the Scrull/Osprey match, either way.

Also, you are more than welcome to predict all the matches on a show. I won't take that into stock, but the reader vote matches are the ones that I will definitely be tabulating. I'm always interested to hear your thoughts on who you like in all the matches though.

Remember, those matches that are not readers vote matches will be decided by a random dice roller. So while there will be some logic to the readers vote matches, the rest will be completely random, which could make for some crazy results.

I will run this huge show either Friday or Saturday, and I will give at least a 24 hour warning notice to get your votes in. Thanks.

Also, going forward, if you want to PM me your votes for the readers vote matches, I might appreciate that better, that way there will be an element of surprise and nobody will be able to see what the votes are and see who will win those matches right off the bat. Thanks.
Unread 09-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Super Star

Fenix vs. Drago

My take - Aldis has great star power and Osprey gets over Scrull in a squeaker.
Unread 09-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Low Minors

Unread 09-19-2018, 11:28 PM
Living Legend

Unread 09-19-2018, 11:45 PM
Phenom

Interesting concept here

Fenix vs. Drago
Unread 09-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Major League

Barring any mishaps, I am planning on running the first card tomorrow, late morning/early afternoon, so consider this a 24 hour warning to get your picks/votes in.