Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Grey Dog Software General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Living Legend

Default Ad redirects yet again

On mobile I'm getting near constant ad redirects with a pop up I can't get out of without it sending me to the app store. The url has brickages in it. Not sure what else as I'm not using mobile to come to the site again until it's fixed.
Unread 07-06-2017, 10:03 AM
GDS Developer

If anyone is having issues on their mobile, please PM or email me a screenshot or information on the offending ad's site. I can remove it like before.
Unread 07-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Minor League

Promotefine is the name of the ad that keeps redirecting Jaysin, Arlie.
Unread 07-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCreative View Post
Promotefine is the name of the ad that keeps redirecting Jaysin, Arlie.
this is what I'm getting, will screenshot nextime
Unread 07-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Major League

Yeah, I keep getting Promotefine too, keeps offering me a 1000 dollar gift card that is the most fraudulent looking thing I've seen in a while.
Unread 07-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Low Minors

http://imgur.com/s1TzxAm

http://imgur.com/0jLzv5d

Edit: Sorry, missed the PM part. Sending now.
Unread 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM
GDS Developer

OK, guys, I tried to fully block this ad. PM me if you still have issues moving forward.
Unread 07-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Super Star

I can't list anything because I have an effective ad-blocker, but it is shutting down my browser from doing anything for more than 3 seconds. It just makes Firefox Not Responsive. Please fix.
Unread 07-10-2017, 10:50 AM
GDS Developer

Have you had any issues in the past few days? I've checked with three people having issues and all have said it is better. I'm not sure what "shutting down your browser" with an ad blocker means though. Are there still ads messing with you?
Unread 07-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie Rahn View Post
Have you had any issues in the past few days? I've checked with three people having issues and all have said it is better. I'm not sure what "shutting down your browser" with an ad blocker means though. Are there still ads messing with you?
I have an ad blocker on my PC which is why I couldn't get re-directs as that's one of the things that those do (thus why most of the time the people struggling are trying via mobile phone, not computer). It literally would work for 3-5 seconds and then freeze with the very top of the screen showing (Mozilla Firefox is Not Responding) with the blue spinning donut. That would be there for 10-20 seconds or so, and then the whole thing would rinse and repeat.

It eventually followed me to another web page so I had to shut the browser down completely and relaunch it to stop the problem. I wonder if it isn't something triggered by Facebook because I almost never check that before coming here, but I had that day. And I haven't had the problem since I shut the browser down and reloaded that night, but I have made sure to come here before going to FB or shut the browser down first in-between.
Unread 07-12-2017, 02:01 PM
GDS Developer

Guys, I cut off using one of our ad providers because they kept sending the mobile redirects (even though I asked them multiple times to block them). So, I'm trying out some newer groups that are supposedly less intrusive. Let me know if you see any issues. One of them has a footer that appears on the bottom - but it shouldn't block the forum.

Thanks again for all your patience!
Unread 07-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Minor League

Keep getting annoying popups on my screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (1).jpg (19.6 KB, 20 views)
Unread 07-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossface View Post
Keep getting annoying popups on my screen.
Yeah that just stared happening to me today as well when viewing the site on iPad.
Unread 07-12-2017, 02:46 PM
GDS Developer

The bottom one is part of the new ad service I'm using. First, you can close it by clicking the "X" to the left of the ad. And second, it should always stay at the bottom and not block your screen (if you don't want to close it).

I'm trying to find a nice balance and I think having an ad the resides at the bottom of the screen (and can be closed) is better than the extremely annoying mobile redirect ones.

All that said, I'm just trying this out for a few days to see. I can eventually remove it if it bothers people too much.
Unread 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Minor League

While I understand that you guys need a revenue stream, these ads are extremely annoying. The popup comes back every time you switch a page. It makes cycling through threads and subthreads awful. It wouldn't be as bad if you could close it out once per visit to GDS as a whole but checking in on multiple diaries, or various threads under "general discussions" is not a great experience as currently constituted.