Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > World of Mixed Martial Arts 4 > World of Mixed Martial Arts 4 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Some Suggestions for WMMA 5

I'm a big fan of the series, and here are some things that I would like to see implemented in WMMA 5:
  1. Fighters retiring and then deciding to come back, and the ability to lure certain fighters out of retirement with big money offers.
  2. Once you're a major company and on PPV, it's extremely easy to make money because the expenses are so low. For example, production costs and fighter salaries are very low. I liked the feature in past games where you could choose production levels, but even then, the highest level of production should be north of $1 million per show (even a low level UFC show costs in that range to produce in real life). I'd like to see fighters look for more money as they see their promotion growing, and as they headline more cards.
  3. I believe that in the current system, a fighter's marketability ratings affect how quickly their popularity will progress. I think that these ratings should also affect the highest level of popularity that a fighter should be able to reach.
  4. Also with regard to popularity, a big win over a famous fighter (and perhaps a subsequent marketing push, which would also be a nice feature), should have a significant impact on even an unknown fighter's popularity.
  5. This might be just me, and I know these games are meant to be more fighting sims than business sims, but I'd like to see more emphasis on negotiating television deals and such (negotiating a per-show rights fee from TV stations, rather than getting a cut of the ad or subscription revenue. Or, a smaller promotion could buy time on the television station.
  6. The media system in WMMA 4, where some TV/PPV stations will require worldwide exclusivity even if they only reach one area, isn't realistic. Exclusivity within a certain area makes sense, but not worldwide exclusivity.
  7. One-night tournaments! As an added feature, it would be more realistic for some fighters to have to withdraw from the tournament due to injury, with the ability to replace them with earlier tournament losers or fighters from alternate bouts.
  8. I believe the minimum time between fights is 28 days. In real life, we do occasionally see fighters return for another fight within a couple of weeks, or even sooner (like within the next couple of days). I think if a fighter has a high recovery rate and took little or no damage in their most recent fight, they shouldn't have any mandatory waiting period.
  9. Similarly, medical suspensions are too long in most cases. If a fighter was taken down and submitted in 30 seconds, there's no reason for them to be medically suspended at all. Medical suspensions should be tied to damage (KO losses, number of strikes taken in a fight) and injuries only, and really shouldn't be more than 60-90 days (unless there was an injury).
  10. Going with my earlier suggestion about negotiating media rights - maybe this is just me - but I'd like to make financial offers to buy other promotions, and in a perfect world do something like take out loans if necessary (interest rate depending on something like revenue level or company size). Of course, some promotions shouldn't be interested in selling, but how could a small promotion turn down a big buyout?
  11. Maybe this is a ridiculous idea, but I think a fun feature could be trying to fix a fight. If you try to get the wrong fighter to take a dive and get caught, you get fired (if you are only the matchmaker) or the promotion gets shut down (if you are the owner). And fixing a fight would always have a chance at getting caught no matter who you ask, varying depending on the size and popularity of your promotion. I think this could be a really fun system.
Unread 06-18-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunkett View Post
[*]Also with regard to popularity, a big win over a famous fighter (and perhaps a subsequent marketing push, which would also be a nice feature), should have a significant impact on even an unknown fighter's popularity[/list]
Yea I agree, after a couple of losses I gave Sukarno a fight against a no name to get him back on track and he was knocked out! This would have made the no name an instant legend but he only had a small boost in popularity and was basically still a no name.

So in short I think the opponents popularity should definitely affect how big the lower rep fighters boost in popularity is
Unread 06-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Hall of Fame

I dont know. Petruzelli stopped Kimbo when he was on fire and people barely know him. They're trying to boost Holm know but is she still the Rondakiller? Not quite, at least not until yesterday.
Unread 06-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Ah when I was talking about Sukarno losing it was on a PPV main card in the biggest promotion in the game. I think it's quite good as is, but wouldn't mind seeing bigger boosts in popularity for wins over hugely popular guys in highly publicised events.
Unread 06-18-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunkett View Post
Maybe this is a ridiculous idea, but I think a fun feature could be trying to fix a fight. If you try to get the wrong fighter to take a dive and get caught, you get fired (if you are only the matchmaker) or the promotion gets shut down (if you are the owner). And fixing a fight would always have a chance at getting caught no matter who you ask, varying depending on the size and popularity of your promotion. I think this could be a really fun system.
This is a really interesting idea - I'm not really sure if it fits the narrative of a game like WMMA but how awesome it would be if something like this was an option. The ability to recreate a fight like Coleman vs Takada in game would be incredible, and make for some really intense events and stories!
Unread 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leithal View Post
This is a really interesting idea - I'm not really sure if it fits the narrative of a game like WMMA but how awesome it would be if something like this was an option. The ability to recreate a fight like Coleman vs Takada in game would be incredible, and make for some really intense events and stories!
Maybe interesting as an idea but it will offend purists that it's even an option. And gameplaywise: does it truly sound fun to you? There's gambling events in relation to marketing in WMMA3, but after a while I stopped using them.

The 'roid doctor in TEW is another thing imo that is more suitable to be in games like this. MMA is an actual sport.
Unread 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Maybe interesting as an idea but it will offend purists that it's even an option. And gameplaywise: does it truly sound fun to you? There's gambling events in relation to marketing in WMMA3, but after a while I stopped using them.

The 'roid doctor in TEW is another thing imo that is more suitable to be in games like this. MMA is an actual sport.
Yea I agree with Blackman on this one, if it was a feature I would hope there was an option to turn it off
Unread 06-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I dont know. Petruzelli stopped Kimbo when he was on fire and people barely know him. They're trying to boost Holm know but is she still the Rondakiller? Not quite, at least not until yesterday.
Was Kimbo really on fire though? He was a fighter who had a lot of buzz because of his street fighting videos, wasn't in a legitimate promotion, or a legitimate star. And it showed when Seth dropped him in less than a minute.
I had Whittaker come in and KO Jacare, and this was before Whittaker got the buzz he has now, and he barely got any momentum cause of it.
Unread 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Low Minors

Quote:

Having it as an option is always a good idea. Being able to turn something off or on should be suitable for purists.
Unread 06-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Low Minors

Yeah no offence but the fight fixing idea is not good. The game has a rep as being the best realistic simulation MMA game, and I think this kind of feature would probably put a dent in that a little. I also don't see how that would be fun, like, what is the benefit of it being in?

I do like the idea about fighters coming out of retirement. Not sure if I necessarily agree that this should be something that is incentivised, perhaps more of an extension to WMMA4's hiatus concept, whereby a fighter can return, albeit randomly.

I've not played the new TEW, but am I correct in thinking that you can sign random filler fighters for one off appearances, who come from the region in which your event is taking place? Obviously something like this would only really work if there's a bunch of spare face/body pics available, but it'd be pretty neat I reckon. Like, LFA and (to a lesser extent, Cage Warriors over here) tend to bring in a bunch of regional fighters for their under cards.

One final suggestion, which might be a bit difficult as it would involve the fight engine, is different rulesets for different regions. For example, New Jersey, Ohio, Missouri, Colorado, Virginia, Maryland and South Dakota don't operate under the new unified rules of MMA, so they have the different views on knees to downed opponent etc. Now, I guess this would be a fair bit of work to implement, and I'm not really sure there's any benefit to offset it, but it's just something to throw out there.
Unread 06-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Low Minors

Related to the retirement thing, older fighters should be picky about who they fight. They should want to fight other old fighters or big fights only. The game now works opposite where old guys on losing streaks tend to want to fight no names.

Last edited by klnOmega : 06-27-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Unread 06-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Low Minors

Fight fixing might work best if used as an attribute and a random event when making match. Similar to how a pop up box comes up and says that fighter will only take the short notice fight for some extra cash. It would pop up and say "Bob Sapp is willing to throw this fight for an extrs payment of. .." and would only show up for fighters with the "willing to throw fights" attribute.
Unread 06-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsoccerpro View Post
Yea I agree, after a couple of losses I gave Sukarno a fight against a no name to get him back on track and he was knocked out! This would have made the no name an instant legend but he only had a small boost in popularity and was basically still a no name.

So in short I think the opponents popularity should definitely affect how big the lower rep fighters boost in popularity is
Or even if it doesnt give him a big permenant boost, it should give him a giant temporary one. Adam already sorta started this with the heat system, but I'd love to see it expanded on. Some like Sokodjou was huge after beating Arona and Nog, but then faded into obscurity after a few loses.

Popularity in general should be a little more dynamic, and then maybe smoothen out the more fights a fighter gets. Someone who gets a big win over a legend in his 4th fight should get a big boost l, but then he'll lose it if he fails to follow through. Meanwhile, popular guys with 30 fights are legends, and them taking losses shouldnt affect their popularity as much. Dan Henderson was never on the prelims in real life, for example. But in WMMA4 if he loses a 2 in a row, they game would put him there.
Unread 06-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnOmega View Post
Or even if it doesnt give him a big permenant boost, it should give him a giant temporary one. Adam already sorta started this with the heat system, but I'd love to see it expanded on. Some like Sokodjou was huge after beating Arona and Nog, but then faded into obscurity after a few loses.

Popularity in general should be a little more dynamic, and then maybe smoothen out the more fights a fighter gets. Someone who gets a big win over a legend in his 4th fight should get a big boost l, but then he'll lose it if he fails to follow through. Meanwhile, popular guys with 30 fights are legends, and them taking losses shouldnt affect their popularity as much. Dan Henderson was never on the prelims in real life, for example. But in WMMA4 if he loses a 2 in a row, they game would put him there.
Unfortunately, Sokoudjou has continued to get big fights because of the Nog and Arona wins, just not in the UFC. He's been KO'd by some serious names in the last few years.

But back on point yeah, I think that fighter popularity growth needs to somehow match promotion growth better. What I've found myself doing recently, is adding 25% pop each time a fighter wins via stoppage, but even then, I'm hitting high level international promotion popularity with most of my fighters at high level regional to mid level national.
Unread 06-28-2017, 03:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Yeah, the heat system is probably best placed for this kind of thing. Beating a hyped fighter could transfer the hype to someone else. Take Holm for instance: they kept milking her "Rousey-killer" status even though she wouldn't (or should'nt) be selling tickets due to her average marketability. Then again, it's not that Miesha suddenly got over on that finish. It could've been the belt too. In any event, heat is changing too slowly. You have to accumulate several finishes in exciting fights for it, but it should take opponent quality into effect. If you beat up several cans, you get hyped, sure. But if you beat one established fighter in impressive fashion... that's often just as good to hype a fighter up.