Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-19-2017, 01:40 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
OVW is a great school.

Ricky Shane Page is from my neck of the woods and has said nothing but good things about Ian.

I'm fairly certain he has screwed tons of people over, but the way RSP makes it sound he's really come a long way.
RSP is literally my favorite wrestler in the world lol
Unread 06-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Major League

Not sure what everyone else said but they are all wrong unless you go into training and just do everything you saw on youtube that the Young Bucks do. Try hitting the trainer right away with a superkick....

LOL

I joke. Do what Ap said. His tips are right in line. I wrestled from 16-21 until my son got sick and I needed to be with him more. Honestly Ap said a lot of would I would echo. Only thing you should look at Young Bucks for is how they marketed themselves and got themselves over. Don't do anything they do in the ring.
Unread 06-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Major League

I also have a bit of advice:

- Just know in advance that bumping is going to HURT, even when you diffuse the impact with your arms spread and landing on your back.
And you're going to be doing it A LOT, ESPECIALLY in training (in fact, any good trainer will make it one of the first things they teach), so you better get used to those aches quick.
Related: FRONT bumping will feel weird and unnatural at first, since you've generally been conditioned over your entire life to try and break that fall however you can. But once you've gotten a feel for it (and again, it's going to hurt because you're going to do it A LOT), it'll also become 2nd nature to you.
SIDE bumping should also be learned early and adjusted to early, because it's going to happen more often in matches than you think. Your shoulders WILL hurt because of it.

- Also related to bumping, running the ropes will also actually hurt at the beginning, so if you weren't prepared for that when starting, you're gonna be taken by surprise. Running the ropes PROPERLY will benefit your matches in all sorts of ways both in the short term AND the long term.
Related, learn how to compensate for those eventual times when any of the ropes will somehow suddenly snap off.

- MAKE SURE that the trainer teaches you rolling at the beginning (at least, that's what I read in an interview I think with Lance Storm at some point), because it'll help with agility and ring movements and stuff.

- Even if you don't plan on being a high flyer, practicing balance on the ropes (both in the corner and in a springboard position) will also help you in the long run.

- On a lighter note, for the love of whatever deity you may or may not worship, always make sure that Suplexes, DDTs, and Front Chanceries in general are locked with the left arm, and Neckbreakers, Bulldogs, Facebusters, and stuff like that are locked with the right arm. After all, you're not in Mexico or smaller Canadian companies.

Simple things that will benefit you in the long run.
Unread 07-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Rookie

Wanted to wish you all the luck breaking into the business. Let us know your updates on this post.
Unread 07-08-2017, 06:17 AM
Minor League

I read the whole topic, very interesting. Never tried wrestling schools or anything like that, but one thing is certain - keep yourself in the best shape possible. If you can't take care of your own body, nobody good enough will let you take care of their body too. Good luck bud, hope you're doing well!
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:39 AM
Hall of Fame

I wrestled for 5-6 years. It's hard work but it's fun. I never really 'made it' but I made a lot of friends and had some great experiences, on and off shows. Wrestling is a strange one. A lot of competition, but in the end we're all working together as a team to entertain.

I think number one advice, beyond what Apu correctly advises, is to be aware what you're getting into. Indy wrestling is a different beast from WWE.

"If you think you're going too slow, go slower." -best advice I ever got.
Unread 07-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self View Post
"If you think you're going too slow, go slower." -best advice I ever got.
This, a million times this. Ricky Morton drills this into every one of his students. Take it from someone who was too hard-headed to listen, when a veteran (a real veteran, not some guy who was in the PWI 500 once in the 90s and never shuts up about it) tells you how to do something, you do it that way.