Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Code of Superheroes General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-11-2020, 01:11 PM
GDS Developer

Default Dev Journal #5: Traveling to Other Cities

Traveling to other cities is very simple: Just click on the Travel button, then up pops a little screen in the game itself:

Then click on the city you want to travel to. Simple and streamlined.

The reason this is important is different cities have different crime meters (the orange bar underneath each city name) that change during the game. Crime meters can indicate the types of events that come up during turns, as well as patrol events that can occur. Also, you can only interact with CPU heroes in the current city you're in.
Unread 02-11-2020, 01:40 PM

As usual, I have a few questions:

In CBH, cities had different styles, like Futuristic or Gothic or Apocalyptic. Will this be implemented in COS or won't that be a factor? I ask that, because it was a way (not a really good one) to limit the locations the CPUs would travel to. An easier way, since there will be only 6 cities in this game, would be, to add a option do edit the travellocations for every character.

In the upper left corner is a kind of quest. Is that a storyquest or will those messages come up randomly? It seems kind of to specific for a random quest to me.

And in the lower left is the bubble with Issue #1 in it. Does that mean, it will be like in CBH that every encounter is an issue and will there be the text editor so we can write our own storys in it?
Unread 02-11-2020, 02:37 PM
GDS Developer

1. Well, to artificially limit locations heroes can travel to would make it tough to deal with a hero who doesn't like you, especially with only 6 cities in the game. Wouldn't make sense, IMHO.

2. The 'quests' are randomly generated and spliced together through a quest generator engine I developed, with varying phrases, urgencies, antagonists, names and/or objects all carefully written so they always seem like custom written quests, which is the trick, indeed. This way it draws the player in and doesn't seem like it's a Mad Lib sort of thing.

3. It's just a fancy way to track turns that I felt was better thematically than just saying 'turn #1'.
Unread 02-11-2020, 04:06 PM

1. I get that. Just thought it was a nice gimmick.

2. Sounds fun. But won't the quests repeat itself after an amount of rounds, depending on the number of characters in the game?

3. So the game won't track the "story"? Like which heroes you met, which villains you fought how often and things like that? Writing my "own" story was a lot of fun in CBH.
Unread 02-11-2020, 06:56 PM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWeb View Post
1. I get that. Just thought it was a nice gimmick.

2. Sounds fun. But won't the quests repeat itself after an amount of rounds, depending on the number of characters in the game?

3. So the game won't track the "story"? Like which heroes you met, which villains you fought how often and things like that? Writing my "own" story was a lot of fun in CBH.
2b: Eventually, but it'll take awhile, since there will be hundreds of phrases, items, etc.

3b: I could do that, like a 'diary' of sorts that tracks what happened each turn?
Unread 02-12-2020, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
3b: I could do that, like a 'diary' of sorts that tracks what happened each turn?
Yes. That would be great. It gives a feeling of continuation and following a story instead of playing random rounds.