Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Code of Superheroes General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Questions

First off, I love the idea. CBH is one of my favourite games that GDS has put out, and have wanted CBH2 for the longest time.

The first game had its issues, but Rylands usual iteration cycle between games had my hopes up that CBH2 would be amazing.. It just never came

Firstly:

Generate your own hero from scratch, or have the game randomly generate you a hero from thousands of different seeds with custom health, powers and name and jump right into the action! - Is this going to be filterable or completely random. I may not want to generate everything, but want a brute force puncher for instance. Will there be an alter-ego system and is so can you define it. Flaws: Superman has Kyptonite, Spiderman has his sense of responsibility, Xavier has his past-time of constantly dying. Will there be an option to create heros with flaws for people to exploit?

Experience hundreds of different choices and events that help to shape your character. - Cant argue there

Each character has their own flavor and 7 different stats, each with various effects on the game. - Looking at the options has me a little worried that a lot of heroes are all going to have similar stats

Over-arcing mission to accomplish every game, database includes hundreds of quests with variances. - EVERY game? I hope not. I want to craft my own story. Also will villians act like their counterparts. If you made an Onslaught for instance, is he just going to commit bank robberies?

Randomly generated world every game to play in, including different heroes to interact and form relationships with (or not!) and a world that changes as you play. - Does this mean that you cant pre-build a world to play in and random heroes may turn up in your game? Also 14 other different heroes possible over 6 cities means you may only have 2 heroes per city at one time?

Slick, polished interface with lots of built-in help and designed to be simple to learn and get going. - Be careful not to oversimplify

Build Fame, and earn and spend Hero Points for building your character as you see fit. - Will fame have a point if you play endless mode?

Character Powers are randomly generated for maximum replay-ability.- Goes back to my previous question about a randomly generated world and villains. If I build a Punisher style character, am i going to just get 'Shocking Touch Of Ooze' as a power

Equip your heroes with randomly generated weapons and armor for even more custom chaos! - Is this going to break immension with custom databases?

Tons of customizable options; want combat simmed? Want heroes to never die? Want to play to a certain Fame or Level? Or just play forever? Itís all easy to do. - I'd like to see a turn option. What can I get done in 100 turns fors instance

Built in Universe Editor allows you to set up your game the way you want using your own custom heroes, stats and cities. - Is this in-game or pre-start up. Its going to be a chore having to go into a game you've just started to update all the characters if you're wanting to play in Gotham but not sure what type of hero you want to play

Secondly:

General thoughts time. For all its flaws (Popularity loss when losing was horrific and constantly clicking Patrol ) CBH was a very full game that allowed you to pretty much do anything you wanted. Taking on a comic book game at GDS is a very brave task.

I worry that this game is going to be a pale comparison. Just looking at CBH now, you have initial abilities, attributes that can positively or negatively effect them, and various upgradable powers once again effected by the previous. Villians would only commit certain style crimes, or always work alone. It allowed you to make a very unique playgound. This has a feeling of genericness to it. Want to recreate Cyclops optic beam.. Psyche attack.. Psylocke's psychic knife.. Psyche attack.. Ok.. How about Invisible Womens kinetic blasts.. Psyche attack. Dr Stranges mystic bolts .. Psyche attack. It appears to lack the ranged/melee, physical/mental/electrical, impact/stun/drain depth that CBH had.

As I said at the beginning, I love the idea. I just have a lot of doubts that this is just going to be a shell of a game. As both are published by GDS, could you not licence the code and update CBH to make it even better?
Unread 02-13-2020, 07:21 PM
GDS Developer

To address your main point: The default game can generate a random hero and you can start right away, or you can create your own hero with his own name, powers and stats.

Or there will be a mode where you can create the world pre-startup using a text file, and you can create all of the heroes and their stats and powers if you wish and load that into the game instead. It will even allow you to create the central quest goal as well. So that will allow much of the flexibility you desire, I think.

A Turn Option: That can go in, yes. Good idea. Maybe 100 turns, 250 turns?

Fame in Endless Mode: Fame can also be used for special effects and favors during the game, used to purchase weapons and armor, and used in combat for various effects too. So there will always be a use for it.

Up to 10 heroes can be in a city at once, so no limit on that.

More depth will be added and can be added as time goes along, certainly. This game will be a cousin, but not an identical clone of CBH. I believe the game i'm making will be easier to get into and more accessible than CBH was, as cool as that game was design wise.
Unread 02-14-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
Fame can also be used for special effects and favors during the game, used to purchase weapons and armor, and used in combat for various effects too. So there will always be a use for it.
Idea: Would it be possible to let the CPU-Heroes gain Famepoints for their actions as well? That would give the Fame-Mode a competitive aspect and as the player it would be interesting to decide if you better go for the win or use Famepoints to level up your powers to get more Famepoints in the long runby beating bigger villains. This way, you would play against all other Heroes in the game to be the first to gain the set amount of Fame. Could be fun.
Unread 02-14-2020, 05:26 AM
Hall of Fame

(this is based on very limited playtime, so this post might be wrong information. Just saying )

I never REALLY gave CBH a chance and just fooled around with it, but the "comic book structure" made me abandon it as it feels too restricted. Would be better to have it "open world" like TEW/WMMA where you can move around freely. The combat also looked a bit like pokemon, where you'd just do the best attack. I liked the experience system and the progression, but maybe that should apply to the AI heroes as well.

Maybe if the interactions, meaning puzzles and combat, looked more like Wrestling Spirit, it would look and play deeper and people will be more invested. It's a risk though, as 'simpler' games appeal to a broader audience. And not to step on anyone's toes here, but comic books aren't really the deepest stories given the limited text involved.
Unread 02-14-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
(this is based on very limited playtime, so this post might be wrong information. Just saying )

I never REALLY gave CBH a chance and just fooled around with it, but the "comic book structure" made me abandon it as it feels too restricted. Would be better to have it "open world" like TEW/WMMA where you can move around freely. The combat also looked a bit like pokemon, where you'd just do the best attack. I liked the experience system and the progression, but maybe that should apply to the AI heroes as well.

Maybe if the interactions, meaning puzzles and combat, looked more like Wrestling Spirit, it would look and play deeper and people will be more invested. It's a risk though, as 'simpler' games appeal to a broader audience. And not to step on anyone's toes here, but comic books aren't really the deepest stories given the limited text involved.
To make that comparison: Wrestling doesn't have the deepest storylines either. But it both works for their individual formats. In the case of games it's just a factor that gives the player a feeling of making progress. Without a story, it feels like just playing random rounds that have no effect on anything.

The world in CBH was big enough or you could build one that was. But of course there are always limitations on whst you can do an as much as I liked the foundation of CBH it became kind of repititive very fast, because of the fights that were always the same and the puzzles being just there to be there.

But with this game there will be a new foundation and as Derek says, improvements can be made over time. So it will be a kind of different game than CBH and with the right direction it can be a more fun game. We will see.
Unread 02-14-2020, 07:58 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
As both are published by GDS, could you not licence the code and update CBH to make it even better?
To clear up any confusion, there will very likely eventually be a CBH2 written by me (albeit I don't have any specific plans for when - it will not be for at least a few years yet), it just won't be a direct sequel (it'll have the same universe but will be a totally different approach to both the original and to Derek's upcoming game). That's why I declined Derek's request to make an official CBH2 and why he's not doing a direct build on top of what CBH1 did.

All being well, eventually you should all end up with two very cool and very different comic book games to play.
Unread 02-14-2020, 09:28 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post

I never REALLY gave CBH a chance and just fooled around with it, but the "comic book structure" made me abandon it as it feels too restricted. The combat also looked a bit like pokemon, where you'd just do the best attack. I liked the experience system and the progression, but maybe that should apply to the AI heroes as well.
1. Yes, this combat system isn't just 'do the best attack' as some attacks cost Psyche (mana) points to use, so you can't just spam the attack with the most damage. There are advantages to physical attacks and magical/mutant attacks in different situations.

2. Yes, the other characters will do stuff and develop over time along with you, so this world will NOT be static at all. They may even acquire their own weapons or armor as well.
Unread 02-14-2020, 01:28 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland View Post
To clear up any confusion, there will very likely eventually be a CBH2 written by me (albeit I don't have any specific plans for when - it will not be for at least a few years yet), it just won't be a direct sequel (it'll have the same universe but will be a totally different approach to both the original and to Derek's upcoming game). That's why I declined Derek's request to make an official CBH2 and why he's not doing a direct build on top of what CBH1 did.

All being well, eventually you should all end up with two very cool and very different comic book games to play.
Thank you for that clear-up, Adam. Certainly good news that you do have future plans for the CBH franchise. Long term as they may be at the moment. I still play nine years later and enjoy it immensely despite the limitations LostInWeb and Blackman were discussing. Perhaps you should cross-post this news to the CBH forum so it doesn't get missed by people who might not be following CoS just yet.
Unread 02-14-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland View Post

That is unbelievably good news, thank you for posting that. I think you would be surprised by how many people cherish CBH and what it means to them, as cheesy as that may sound.

I'm looking forward to enjoying COS and eagerly anticipate CBH2 down the road.

At the end of the day, the kids in us just want to be superheroes.