Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Code of Superheroes General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-14-2020, 12:09 PM
GDS Developer

Default Dev Journal #6: Upgrading Heroes

Using your Hero Points to improve and develop your heroes is one of the key decisions to make in the game, as it allows them to get better and stronger.

The amounts for various things may get tweaked, but for now, these amounts seem to work fine. You can upgrade your Health, Psyche, Stats and your abilities (or add a new ability if you have free slots).

In COS, you can access this screen quite easily, just click the icon next to your character on the Main Hub. Here's a sample. It's designed to easy and simple to use:
Unread 02-14-2020, 01:19 PM
All Star

Looks like the classic DiBendetto game screen. Everything you need is there with minimal excess that might confuse the player.
Unread 02-14-2020, 01:35 PM

Looks simple enough.

Health, Strength and Toughness are selfexplenatory.

Psyche: I guess you said, this is like Manapoints, that we use to attack with powers? But from the name I would assume it could be influenced by certain happenings in the game. Like, when you lose a fight or maybe someone you know gets killed, does that have an effect on Psyche?

Sorcery: I think this is for attacks that are more than just physical and use superpowers? But what does it affect? Since we can level up the powers itself, what does this Stat increase?

Dexterity, Intellect, Tech: Sounds like those Stats aren't really for fights. So will there be some kind of puzzles or traps in the game to solve?

Are the attacks limited to 3 for every character, since this one has 2 and there seems to be only space left for one more?
Unread 02-14-2020, 04:07 PM
GDS Developer

Psyche: Mana points used by special spells or abilities. Not affected by people getting killed or anything like that.

Sorcery: Can impact the effectiveness of spells. There may be options doing a fight that increase damage done by spells when rolling against your Sorcery score as well.

Intellect: Measures figuring out spells and special puzzles and events in the game.

Tech: Measures effectiveness using weapons and armor, and some kinds of more advanced equipment is only usable by those with high enough Tech.

Abilities are limited to 3 per character, yes. After awhile, abilities may become redundant and unnecessary, so I restricted it so you need to make choices.
Unread 02-14-2020, 04:48 PM

Sounds all fun to me, although maybe I would have prefered the option for more attacks.

Is there a difference between spells and abilities? Like, the former is mental and the latter is physical or something like that?
Unread 02-14-2020, 05:03 PM
GDS Developer

Abilities: Physical attacks that don't use any Psyche or other points, and are capable of special attacks or critical hits (spells can't do crits). Early on at least, don't usually do as much overall damage as spells do.

Spells: Higher damage abilities that use Psyche points to activate and also can do extra damage depending on your Sorcery rating. They don't miss, as Physical attacks can.

Some enemies are less susceptible to one form of attack than another, so that's another thing to consider.
Unread 02-14-2020, 05:23 PM

Makes sense to me, so in the example the first attack is a physical attack and the second one is a spell. Is the whip in the second attack a weapon or is it just the name of the attack?
Unread 02-15-2020, 10:06 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWeb View Post
Makes sense to me, so in the example the first attack is a physical attack and the second one is a spell. Is the whip in the second attack a weapon or is it just the name of the attack?
Just the name of the attack. Weapons and armor will be displayed on your hero on the main screen separately on the bottom two slots.