Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
MONDAY NIGHT SCOUTING
RAW
- Show started with Mankind going after Kane, which they sold as payback for Survivor Series. Mick cleared the ring of Kane, but Kane didn't take too much damage, so they didn't make him look weak at least. Savio versus D-Lo ended with a Nation/Boricuas brawl. How long have they been feuding!? Shawn promo, just generally being a dick, before he beat Chainz. Finlay beat Brakus and Bradshaw in a three way dance. Finlay got promo time before the match, so Vince must be hot on him. Segment with Austin chasing Michaels out of the building. Vader over Jose Estrada Jr.. Main event was Outlaws against Mankind and Undertaker, non title, no finish either with Kane taking out Mankind and the match getting thrown out. Best Raw I can remember sitting through in a while though.

SHOTGUN TAPING
- Recon over Mark Henry. Fit Finlay over Mosh. Bob Holly over Phineas.

NITRO
- Hall and Savage spoke backstage, before Hall beat El Dandy. Hall gave Dandy a lot and they had a much better match than you'd expect, Hall is always good about doing that. Flair got into it with Buff and Hennig backstage, presumably setting something up for the PPV there with Flair and Bagwell. Nash over Prince Iaukea. Nash was less generous than Hall, let's put it that way. Giant did a promo on Bret coming in. Saturn over Chavo, TV Title. Video package hyping up Hogan versus Sting for Sunday. Benoit over Super Calo. Main event, Hogan over Rick Steiner, where they were selling the Steiners continued problems with the NWO. Lots of buzz for the PPV, let's see if they deliver.

SAT. NIGHT TAPING
- Skit with Rick Martel having his interview ruined by Disco dancing. Jericho beat El Dandy. Liz, Kimberly and Debra were involved in some kind of skit taking questions from fans. I don't think any question I would have asked could make air. Miller over Alex Wright via count-out. McMichael and Wrath no contest.

----
Quote:
ECW HARDCORE TV
December 28, 1997

Joey opened up this week's show at the commentary position, welcoming everyone to another week of the most extreme action in professional wrestling. Joey also made sure to put in a plug for ECW's next PPV event, Living Dangerously, Sunday night, March 1st, from the Asbury Park Convention Hall in Asbury Park, New Jersey. The best that ECW had to offer would be in action, but the question on everyone's lips was, would that include "The Franchise" Shane Douglas, who's future as the ECW Champion was still in doubt. Douglas had still yet to inform ECW officials of his status and heading into the year of 1998, both Douglas and the championship were in a state of limbo.

(C-)

--------

Brakus (w/Lance Wright) -vs- Nova

For the first time, Lance Wright's hired gun, the man known as Brakus, would step into an ECW ring, but it wouldn't be against Taz. Instead, we got what essentially amounted to an exhibition, as the massive WWF superstar stepped into the ring with a game but clearly out-matched Nova. Everything Nova tried failed, merely bouncing off of Brakus any time he tried an offensive manouever. And once Brakus stopped playing defence and went on the offence, he made light work of Nova, tapping him out with a full nelson.

Winner: Brakus, by submission, in 2:31
(E)

With Brakus in the ring, it was no surprise that Taz wasn't far behind though, hitting the ring almost as soon as Brakus had released the hold. Taz was ready to fight and clearly hoping that Brakus finally was too, which seemed a good bet since he'd just made such light work of his actual match. But as Brakus looked ready to go and the two prepared to finally go at it, the rest of Team WWF would hit the ring and jump the Human Suplex Machine from behind, lead by Taz's old rival Sabu.

Joey: "It was a set-up! Lance Wright had back-up waiting in the wings!"

Sabu, Van Dam, Furnas and LaFon all beat down on Taz, while Wright held back Brakus and tried to calm his man down, since his problem was being taken care of. Luckily for Taz, help was on the way, as Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman hit the ring, Dreamer with a chair and Sandman with his trusty cane, meaning suddenly Team WWF weren't so keen on fighting. All four would bail, along with Wright and Brakus, able to escape with just a chair to the back of LaFon and a cane to the back of Sabu. Dreamer and Sandman dared the WWF team to come back, while Taz picked himself up in the background. The WWF troops left but Dreamer wasn't satisfied, taking a microphone and challenging them to a match, right here tonight, four against four. Obviously Sandman was up for this and Dreamer claimed he'd have no trouble finding a fourth guy in the back who wanted to join Team Extreme and kick the WWF's ass.

However, Taz would take the microphone away from Dreamer, having gathered his thoughts from the attack he just suffered.

Taz: "Before you get all excited... I ain't a part of anybody's ****in' team... and I don't care if you, or you, dont like it, I do what I wanna do, when I wanna do it. So here's the deal, IF I wanna be your partner tonight then I'll be here and if I don't I won't."

Taz would leave without Dreamer or Sandman and Dreamer didn't seem too surprised about Taz's attitude, but didn't seem too thrilled about the situation either.

(D+)

--------

Back from break, Joey would confirm that the four on four match had been accepted, but pointed out that while Team WWF were four strong, Team Extreme only had two competitors confirmed, Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman, as well as potentially but not definitely Taz, if he decided to show up and defend the company that he works for.

From there Joey would point out one man who certainly wouldn't be the fourth man on Team Extreme tonight, that being Mikey Whipwreck, courtesy of the actions of Justin Credible. The finish of Mikey's match with Justin and the after the match attack were shown, as Joey revealed Mikey had undergone knee surgery and would be out of action for an unspecified amount of time, but stretching into months as opposed to weeks. Joey wished Mikey a speedy recovery and called him part of the heart of ECW.

(D)

--------

We'd head back to the ring for the entrance of the aforementioned Justin Credible and Jason, much to the disgust of Joey on commentary. That disgust wasn't helped when Jason got on the microphone and proclaimed Justin as the man who finally put Mikey Whipwreck out of his misery and out of ECW where he belonged. The crowd gave Justin plenty of abuse, but Jason didn't seem phased, going onto claim that things were only looking up for them going forward. Justin was the greatest competitor in ECW and he was the sexiest man alive, but it got better.

Jason: "That's right, I wanted to share this moment with you Justin and I wanted to share this moment with the world, as I introduce you all to the HOTTEST woman on the face of the planet... my new lady friend... everybody give it up for the woman that makes me complete, Bobcat!"

The hatred for Jason and Justin would die down somewhat when 'Bobcat' made her way down to the ring, as to Joey's surprise, Jason wasn't lying about her being attractive. Infact, Joey seemed confused as to how Jason had pulled this off, as Bobcat joined Justin and Jason in the ring and kissed Jason on the cheek. Jason looked like the cat that had gotten the cream and Justin just looked as smug as ever about the whole situation, with his entourage now growing.

(D)

Justin Credible (w/Jason and Bobcat) -vs- Devon Storm

With not one but two people in his corner, Justin was now set for action against a man making his first apperance in ECW for a year, formerly 'Dangerous' Devon Storm, but now apparently just Devon Storm. He was still an accomplished competitor as Joey was quick to point out, but Justin is a man growing in confidence by the day and didn't seem phased at all in the early goings. If anything Justin would be a little too comfortable as he toyed around with Devon, which invited his opponent to find a way into the match and start to give Justin a run for his money. A missed crossbody out of the corner would be Devon's downfall though and Credible showed a little more focus to put the match away, finishing Devon off with the spinning tombstone known as That's Incredible to notch up another victory.

Winner: Justin Credible, by pinfall, in 4:45
(D)

As Credible celebrated the win with Jason and Bobcat, Joey would send us to footage from earlier in the day that was filmed in Tokyo, Japan that Justin would no doubt want to see when he got to the back. At a press conference with Japanese media, The Great Sasuke would announce that he had seen the disrespectful acts of Justin Credible since defeating him and that he wanted a rematch with Justin soon. Joey claimed that ECW officials were already hard at work to ensure the match would happen again and that hopefully, The Great Sasuke would be back in ECW to put the young upstart Justin Credible in his place.

(E+)

--------

Back from break and we were back with Joey, to this time hype ECW's next event, House Party 1998 from the ECW Arena in South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And just signed to compete on that show would be a man who hadn't been in action since November To Remember, who had now been cleared to compete, the former ECW World Heavyweight Champion, Bam Bam Bigelow.

(C)

--------

Taz, Tommy Dreamer, The Sandman and Al Snow (w/Beulah McGillicutty) -vs- Sabu, Rob Van Dam, Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon (w/Bill Alfonso and Lance Wright)

It was main event time but it was still up in the air as to what the main event would look like as the entrances took place. Who would be ECW's fourth man and would they even actually be the fourth man, as it wasn't clear whether Taz would even bother to show up. Team WWF were in full force as Dreamer and Sandman made their way out. Luckily for them, they had back-up in the unlikely form of Al Snow, enough to convince them to go to the ring with or without Taz. But before the match could get underway, "War Machine" would hit and Taz, reluctantly or otherwise would complete the team, much to Joey's delight.

To nobody's surprise this was utter chaos with eight men involved and such bad blood between the two teams, a wild brawl in and around the ring that swung back and forth throughout. The key grudges between RVD and Dreamer and Sabu and The Sandman would take a bit more of a backseat than usual, as in the chaos, they all had plenty of other opponents to contend with as well. Infact the big moment of the match would see old rivals Taz and Sabu end up in the ring together in a callback to some of their in-ring face-offs from last year, only this time the lights would not go out when they locked horns.

The WWF team would benefit from having two recognised tag teams in the match, with both Furnas and LaFon and RVD and Sabu managing to find some opportunities to isolate one man in the ring and double team them. There would eventually always be another member of Team Extreme spare to get in and even the odds though. The ECW side would fight more like a team of individuals than the WWF, but with a common goal. And when Taz went on a suplex spree, taking out all four of his opposition, it looked like the goal of taking the might of the WWF down was well within reach. However, at that point, Brakus had returned to ringside and jumped up on the apron, distracting Taz from finishing the match.

Joey: "Look at Lance Wright, holding this gigantic man back from stepping in the ring! Does he want to fight Taz or not!?"

We wouldn't find out, as Taz was victim to a spinkick from Van Dam and Wright was able to convince Brakus to leave, distraction taken care of.

Van Dam would be tackled to the floor by Dreamer though and the match would continue on, until just two men were left in the ring with everyone else out on the floor. As LaFon, the Tag Team Champion, nailed the unlikely participant in Al Snow with a crescent kick, it looked like Team WWF were on the way to what would be a very unpopular win. But Snow would flip over out of a back suplex attempt and land on his feet, before catching LaFon and scooping him up to hit the Snow Plow. Snow made the cover and Sabu's attempt to make a save was too late. Team Extreme picked up the win and of all people to get the fall, it was Al Snow.

Winners: Taz, Dreamer, Sandman and Snow, by pinfall, in 14:46
(C)

As Team WWF skulked away to the back, Dreamer and The Sandman would join Al in the ring, with Al having retrieved Head and celebrating with his 'spiritual advisor'. Dreamer and Sandman seemed both perplexed and amused at the scene, while Taz just brushed it off. Dreamer would offer a handshake to Taz, which Taz would brusquely accept, saying something to Dreamer that only he could hear, before leaving the other three to celebrate.

Joey: "Taz may not be the image of a team player... but on this night, the ECW Television Champion came through for Team Extreme. And with the help of Taz, tonight, ECW still stand victorious... and Lance Wright, I'm sure, will have plenty of explaning to do, when he gets back to the halls of Stamford, Connecticut."

(C-)

--------

OVERALL- C-

Quote:
SHOW NOTES
- Rob came in ahead of the show and made use of the parking lot at the back of the building, by setting up a waffle bar and cooking for the boys, which is a new one on me. Then again, Rob is a 'different' kinda guy. Terry was backstage at the show too and called on me during a little lesson he was giving Axl at one point, giving him some pointers on how to be a sympathetic babyface. Some nights are definitely more harmonious that others around here.

- So, I'm under no illusions- this Brakus guy Vince has leant to us isn't very good. Infact, he's no good. The match with went three minutes and every one of those minutes was wrestled, if we can call it that, with the backdrop of the crowd absolutely *****ing on the guy. But THAT'S GOOD. When we finally put him in there with Taz, people are gonna be begging for Taz to destroy this guy and get him out of ECW. Taz looks like a star in there by comparison and it always works.

- We debuted Bobcat and paired her up with Jason and Justin. I figured Justin's act was the best fit for a valet right now. I still haven't fully decided on what to do with Dawn yet but I've got an idea. People reacted well to Bobcat, which isn't really a surprise and she did a good job playing up to it. I think we're onto a winner with her.

- Speaking with everyone after the show, Sandman shared with me his 'expert' opinion, that Phil LaFon "can't sell worth a damn" and "needs to learn how to work". Now, setting aside for a second, the irony of The Sandman critiquing the finer technical points of anyone's game, I do have to admit, I've been a little disappointed in Furnas and LaFon lately. A couple of years ago, those two were no question one of the best teams in the world. I don't think they've shown that recently. Maybe all those years working that hard style in Japan are starting to take their toll a little, particularly on LaFon.

--

Almost to the key turning point. I'll have a Starrcade related post next up, since I booked that show myself and then we're into 1998 and hopefully off to the races.
Unread 04-16-2018, 05:54 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
WCW STARRCADE 1997 LIVE RESULTS

- Eddie Guerrero successfully defended the WCW Cruiserweight Championship over Juventud Guerrera.

- Harlem Heat defeated The Faces Of Fear.

- Mean Gene interviewed Ric Flair and The Steiner Brothers backstage, with Flair trying to gee up The Steiners after their recent disappointments against the NWO.

- Macho Man Randy Savage, Scott Norton and Buff Bagwell of the NWO defeated Flair and The Steiners.

- After the match, The Steiners frustrations threatened to boil over, but Flair managed to calm them down.

- The undefeated Goldberg defeated Ray Traylor.

- Mean Gene interviewed The British Bulldog, with Eric Bischoff interrupting and warning Davey to stay out of "our business" tonight.

- Chris Benoit beat Chris Jericho.

- Saturn defended the WCW Television Championship against Konnan.

- Diamond Dallas Page won the WCW United States Championship from Curt Hennig.

- The Outsiders beat Lex Luger and The Giant by nefarious means.

- In the big main event, Sting would win the WCW World Championship from Hollywood Hulk Hogan. Referee Nick Patrick would initially count the fall for Hogan to retain, but the debuting Bret Hart would ensure that the match was restarted due to a fast count and Sting would win the match second time around, being presented with the belt by Bret after the match.

Sunday, December 29th 1997

Very rarely in this business are you given an opportunity, SO perfect, that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to drop the ball.

WCW's Starrcade event was that moment. After over a year of anticipation, the Icon of WCW, Sting, was going to finally vanquish Hulk Hogan and the NWO, at the biggest show of the year, what could possibly be one of the biggest events in PPV wrestling history. Oh, and by the way, you also had one of the greatest wrestlers of this era fall into your lap, ready to make his first appearance on this same show.

And they dropped the ****ing ball!

Watching the end of that show, I found myself looking around, wanting to ask someone if I was actually watching this. I mean, am I the only sane one left in this business? First, Vince pulls a legitimate shoot on his World Heavyweight Champion on live PPV... and now THIS!?

Apparently, the temptation to take one more jab at Vince and do an 'ode' to Survivor Series was too strong for Eric, but this was not the time. And I'm sure it was merely a coincidence that the finish took the shine off of Sting, the heir to the throne and simultaneously gave Hulk Hogan an 'out' for his inevitable defeat. It sucks, not only for those reasons, because Sting is the lifeblood of that company. If anyone short of Ric Flair deserved that moment tonight then it was Sting. And it didn't happen.

The rest of the show struggled to live up to the billing and it was plain to see that the crowds that go to these shows are invested in the NWO first and foremost and not a lot else besides. Which, who can blame them, if that's how the last year has been promoted? Seeing Benoit and Jericho and Eddie Guerrero and Juventud Guerrera have enjoyable matches that didn't get rabid reactions rammed that point home. Unfortunately it looked like Guerrera hurt himself late, which may not have helped, but the guys tried. They always try. The crowd were there for Sting and Hogan, they briefly got up for other NWO related matches, such as Dallas Page's win over Curt Hennig, but it all felt like the preliminary undercard to a Heavyweight Title fight.

Part of me wonders what Bret made of all this. Hey, maybe he's so pissed off at Vince that this whole thing was his idea? Who could blame him? I'm not sure what it really accomplishes for Bret in the long term. If he were enough of a professional to take his humiliation and try to draw money for it I'd have great respect for that... hell, let's face it, if it were ME booking Bret Hart, maybe I would have done the exact same finish, just in a different match... but I'm not sure how this draws any money Bret's way. Either way, my main concern now is with how this affects our plans for Owen Hart.

Bearing all of what I saw in mind, I feel even more confident in the route we've planned for Owen. I don't think it would be possible for us to not acknowledge what happened at Survivor Series - people are going to flat out expect us to do that - but I think we've got something more substantial for Owen than the 'pay-off' WCW provided with Bret. This isn't about one big moment, or saying "screw you" to Vince McMahon. Owen Hart could be the next step in ECW's progression. If we handle it right, then this could be another turning point. Not just for me, but for everybody in the company.

I just hope that we don't drop the ball we've been given.

--

Quote:
So, I got part way through this and realised, no, Heyman probably would have had Bret Hart punch out Jeff Jones and count a pin for Tommy Dreamer over a WWF guy given half the chance. But hey, I don't think Heyman should be a completely reliable narrator, so let's let him have a bit of his indignation.
Unread 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
MONDAY NIGHT SCOUTING
RAW
- Shamrock challenged Michaels to a match at the start, but Shawn said he was too busy and he'd make sure Shamrock got a match with someone else, to set up the throughline of the show. Rock defended the IC Title against TAKA, which went to another non-finish. Michaels and Helmsley beat The Headbangers, which they sold as Shawn's reason for ducking Shamrock. Undertaker squashed Recon. Vader beat Skull. Main event, saw Kane beat Shamrock by a count out after a tombstone on the floor.

SHOTGUN TAPING
- Brian Christopher promo, chased off by Brakus. D-Lo beat Stevie, who we really needed to appear on WWF TV at least once to sell the idea he's involved with them. Bradshaw and Finlay no contest brawl to the back. Chainz and Bob Holly over Kurrgan and The Sultan. Apparently they're teasing Chainz and Holly as a team now, because I dunno, bikes and race cars. At least it's not Kurrgan and Sultan I guess.

NITRO
- First show after Starrcade. They started off with Giant getting into a brawl with Hall. Raven beat El Dandy. Bret came out for an in-ring promo to 'explain' what happened at Starrcade, which wasn't too satisfying, before Flair came out and 'welcomed' him to WCW, with the two exchanging some verbal jabs to paint Bret as a bit of a tweener. Rick Steiner squashed Riggs. Hogan/Sting video recap. Not sure why you'd remind people of what you did. Barbarian squash over Prince Iaukea. Alex Wright interrupted a DDP promo to challenge for the US Title. Page won that by DQ with an NWO run-in. All of this was the prelude to the main event. Sting versus Bret Hart, first time ever, on TV. Because, of course! Can you guess what the finish was? That's right, Nitro schmozz with NWO run-in. Because, of course! The match was a great spectacle while it lasted, I'll give them that.

SAT. NIGHT TAPING
- Wrath over Psychosis. Segment with Bischoff and Debra McMichael. Hugh Morrus over Ray Traylor. Main event, Jericho over Ernest Miller by DQ.

----
Quote:
ECW HARDCORE TV
January 4, 1998

Joey would open the show from the commentary position, welcoming everyone to the first episode of ECW Hardcore TV of 1998. Joey would then recap what happened to close out 1997, as last week on the show, Team Extreme came together in 8-Man Tag Team action to defeat the might of the World Wrestling Federation. Unfortunately, Team WWF were here again on the show tonight, but as Joey pointed out, Team Extreme were united and ECW was stronger than ever before.

(D+)

--------

The Great Sasuke -vs- Nova

Ahead of his now officially signed rematch with Justin Credible, the Japanese sensation The Great Sasuke returned to ECW, for what was a very different kind of match to the one he was gearing up towards. Where-as Sasuke had returned to the US looking for revenge over the disrespectful Justin, this was a very respectful 'tune-up' match, as one of ECW's promising high-flyers Nova looked to test himself against one of Japan's finest.

The match began with a show of respect and was fought in the same manner throughout, with Sasuke willing to see what his opponent had to offer and give him time to recover after moves that he wouldn't be affording Justin Credible. Nova fared better than he did in his match last week against Brakus, his offence at least leaving a dent this time around. Sasuke's reputation as one of the top talents in the world was well earned though and he was still the aggressor, proving too quick and his kicks too sharp.

Having wowed the crowd with a patented Space Flying Tiger Drop, it looked as though Sasuke was on his way to victory, as he rolled Nova back into the ring. At which point, Justin Credible decided to make his presence known, along with Jason and Bobcat. Briefly distracted, Sasuke let Nova recover and attempt to fight back. But luckily, the damage had already been done. One swift kick to the midsection knocked the wind out of Nova's sails and with a point in Justin's direction, Sasuke put the match away with the Thunder Fire Powerbomb, Justin looking defiantly smug even as Sasuke was announced as the winner.

Winner: Great Sasuke, by pinfall, in 4:22
(D)

--------

In the locker room area, we were with a strangely subdued and rather laid-back looking Al Snow, who even greeted the camera with a smile before calmly addressing everyone who had tuned in.

Al: "As we enter the year of 1998, I feel this is a good time for reflection. You know, the last year of my career had been one of the happiest of my life. I've finally found a home here in ECW, I've finally found some acceptance over who I am and I've begun to find some success here over the past few months. And for that I have you, the ECW fans, to thank. So, sincerely, I would like to thank you all for your support and your kind words over the course of 1997. And hopefully, together, we can make 1998 an even better year for me and a great year for Extreme Championship Wrestling."

Snow's smile at the end of his heartfelt speech stuck for just a little too long, before starting to waver, as the camera panned to his left, to reveal Head sat next to him, with a gaudy "Happy New Year" paper hat attached to it and a party streamer next to it.

Al: "....no! I wanted this to be serious this time, from the bottom of my heart! Can't you just let me have this one moment!?..... I know it's tradition...... I don't WANT to do it! I pour my heart and soul out for the world and now, you want me to undermine the whole thing!? ........ *sigh* ....."

Rolling his eyes, Al grabbed a second hat and bitterly put it on, before crossing his arms and launching into a rendition of "Auld Lang Syne". Of course, he couldn't link hands with Head because, well, Head doesn't have arms, but he made the effort anyway. And Al's rendition and got more and more hurried and more and more annoyed as the song went on, mumbling his way through the parts that nobody really knows the words to, while the camera zoomed in and out on Head.

Al: (reluctantly) "Happy 1998! *party streamer*"

(D)

--------

The Full Blooded Italians (w/Tommy Rich) -vs- Jerry Lynn and Tommy Rogers

The team of Jerry Lynn and Tommy Rogers had been making a case for a shot at the ECW World Tag Team Championships since pairing up and two weeks ago, had taken the current champions Furnas and LaFon to the limit. So a match with the former champions Tracy Smothers and Little Guido would go a long way to deciding if the rookie and the veteran would be on Furnas and LaFon's radar again any time soon or if the established... ahem... 'Italians' would be chasing for a rematch.

Although there was a gap in terms of tag team experience, the two teams themselves were fairly well matched. Guido and Lynn were the younger more athletic halves of their teams and went at it in a pretty fast-paced opening to the match. Then, the wiser heads of Smothers and Rogers would square off, in what was a slightly less fast-paced battle. "The Big Don" would off course get involved, tripping up Rogers to allow his side to get the advantage and take control of the match. A mistimed double team by the FBI opened the door for Rogers to make the tag to Lynn though and Lynn lived up to his moniker with a Dynamic comeback. Smothers and Guido would be ran through by Lynn and Rich would suffer a dropkick when he jumped up on the apron as well, as the match began to break down. And though Lynn would finally be slowed down, it would be another mishap from the FBI that ended the match. Smothers missed a charge in the corner on Lynn and Rogers hit Guido with a missile dropkick while he was off his guard. A pescado to the floor by Rogers took out Smothers, leaving Lynn to get a bridging german on Guido to secure the win over the former champions and stake his and Rogers's claim as the rising team in ECW.

Winners: Lynn and Rogers, by pinfall, in 8:27
(D+)

The result of the match would not go down well with the FBI and tempers would flare when fingers began to be pointed over who's fault it was. Smothers, Rich and Guido all ended up arguing with each other in the middle of the ring, with Guido storming off and Smothers and an increasingly red-faced Rich right behind him, still yelling at each other in their thick, not very Italian accents.

(E+)

--------

Rob Van Dam (w/Bill Alfonso) -vs- New Jack
Both RVD and New Jack have had their separate issues recently, New Jack with the Dudley Boyz and RVD with Tommy Dreamer. Much like Dreamer, "The Original Gangsta" is ECW through and through though, so the chance to take on the WWF's braggadocios "Mr. Monday Night" was one he was always going to relish.

The rulebook went out of the window for this one, which was no surprise of course with New Jack involved. This was a clash of extreme styles, Van Dam very creative with his use of his environment and weapons, where as New Jack, while creative in his own way, favours a slightly more... 'straight ahead' approach. So while Vam Dam took the fight to New Jack with tactics like aerial moves off the guardrail and a legdrop off the apron with a chair rested over New Jack's chest, New Jack was happy to just brain Van Dam over the head with a few chairs in response. And New Jack's style might not have been as pretty but it seemed pretty effective, much to Bill Alfonso's concern.

After a nasty looking suplex from the inside out onto the ringside table for Van Dam, it looked like New Jack was ready to put this one away, as he climbed to the top with a steel chair. Van Dam intercepted his chairshot attempt with a thrust kick though and that proved to be the turning point. New Jack stayed in the match with a couple of last ditch kickouts, despite some more flashy offence from Van Dam. When New Jack finally found the opening to go back for the chair though, Van Dam was ready. A Van Damninator found the mark as New Jack turned back around and a Five Star Frog Splash with the chair sealed the deal, giving Van Dam the victory over another ECW mainstay.

Winner: Rob Van Dam, by pinfall, in 5:33
(C)

--------

Back from break, Joey would hype House Party 98, coming up this Saturday night at the ECW Arena. The match between the Great Sasuke and Justin Credible was covered, after Sasuke's win earlier in the show and Justin Credible's bird's eye view of the action.

Joey: "And on top of that, now official, in one on one action... Rob Van Dam, "Mr. Monday Night", will be in action, to take on one of the toughest challengers he's ever had to encounter here in ECW... and he faces the returning "Beast From The East", Bam Bam Bigelow!"

Joey gave the big sell for that one, urging fans in the South Philadelphia area not to miss out on the first event at the ECW Arena of 1998.

(D)

--------

Back in the locker rooms, we cut to Stevie Richards with a big disingenuous smile on his face, as other wrestlers went about their business behind him. Stevie claimed that ever since he'd returned to ECW to grace everyone with his Superstar presence, he'd been feeling a lot of hostility. He understood that the fans and the ECW locker room were jealous of the success that he'd had recently, but that was all okay and because he understood and because he was a Superstar, he forgave them.

Stevie: "See, I know that you'd all love to have done the things that I've done, been the places that I've been. And that's okay. But just remember, I'm here for all of you. I'm here to shine my bright light on all of your less fulfilling lives. I'm here to make things better for you guys."

Stevie turns to Paul Diamond and Roadkill as he says this last part, neither of them looking particularly interested in what Stevie's saying and Chastity just scowling at Stevie. Stevie ignores the disdain though, saying that soon, they'd all realise why he is "The Superstar" Stevie Richards and they'd all learn to love him again.

(E)

--------

Back in the arena, Tommy Dreamer made his entrance ahead of the main event along with Beulah, to a rousing reception from the crowd. Less well liked was Lance Wright, who made his way out after Dreamer and grabbed a microphone. With the crowd trying to drown him out with some pretty uncomplimentary chants, which seemed to amuse Dreamer, Wright told Dreamer that he'd been trying to fight against the WWF for months now and it had gotten him nowhere. All he'd ended up with was a busted up ankle, some busted up ribs and defeat after defeat to his men. And if he wasn't careful, the WWF might be forced to put him and his "Sable wannabee" girlfriend out of the wrestling business for good.

Joey: "Sable wannabee!? Are you KIDDING me!?"

Unfortunately for Lance, Beulah didn't take too kindly to the comparison, or just Wright's general existence and slapped the WWF lackey, which Wright took an oversized bump for. This all proved to be a set-up though, as Furnas and La Fon hit the ring to try and get the jump on Tommy. It would quickly backfire though as Dreamer broke through a double clothesline and shoved Furnas into LaFon, before pitching Furnas over the top to get our main event officially underway.

(D+)

Tommy Dreamer (w/Beulah McGillicutty) -vs- Phil LaFon (w/Lance Wright and Doug Furnas)

Team WWF's plan had clearly not worked so well, as rather than LaFon getting the jump on Dreamer, it was Dreamer who made the hot start, pounding away on one half of the ECW World Tag Team Champions. And it was all Dreamer until Furnas finally got involved again, tripping Dreamer's ankle from the outside as his partner seemed in trouble and giving LaFon the chance to take Dreamer out from the blind-side to turn the tide of the match.

As alluded to by Wright earlier, Dreamer's ankle was only recently recovered and that was where LaFon focused his attack, working over the leg of Tommy for much of the match. Dreamer would show his typical guts and determination, but every attempt to fight back would end as soon as LaFon was able to go back to the leg, frustrating Tommy as he struggled to get a foothold back into the match.

Joey: "LaFon, relentless in his attack on the knee of Tommy Dreamer. But Tommy Dreamer will not quit. Tommy Dreamer will never give up on what ECW stands for, especially not in the face of people like Furnas and LaFon, who come to Tommy Dreamer's house, waving the flag for the World Wrestling Federation."

Dreamer would hang in the match through every submission LaFon threw on, before finally finding his way back into the match, albeit hobbled as he did so. Things were turning south for LaFon and Furnas realised it, jumping up on the apron but taking a right hand from Dreamer as well with Tommy now running on the adrenaline. Dreamer was rolling now, but as he signaled for a DDT, Furnas re-appeared, Dreamer getting rid of him again only for LaFon to capitalise with a chopblock.

That was when back-up arrived though, as Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten had finally seen enough and ran to the ring to neutralise Furnas's involvement in the match. Balls brawled with Furnas, while LaFon gave up on a spinning toehold to remonstrate with Axl. Axl would make him pay with a right hand and Dreamer was waiting as LaFon stumbled back around, delivering a Piledriver in the centre of the ring to pick up the win for Team Extreme.

Winner: Tommy Dreamer, by pinfall, in 8:25
(D+)

Joey: "Balls and Axl could take no more! The ECW Tag Team Championships they've chased for months are still firmly in their sights! And Lance Wright and his cronies found out tonight that when you mess with ECW, you mess with ALL of ECW!"

Team WWF would make a sharp exit, leaving Balls and Axl to celebrate with a hobbled Dreamer to close the show, with ECW on top again for tonight and Axl leading the chant with the crowd.

(D-)

--------

OVERALL- D+

Quote:
SHOW NOTES
- We had to cool down Rob after his match, as he was understandably a little shaken up. New Jack was supposed to crotch him on the guardrail and did it in such a way that the back of Van Dam's leg hit the barricade instead. Which then meant his head, quickly thereafter, hit the floor. Rob point of view was New Jack messed up and that he was luckily not to have really hurt himself one way or another. I doubt Rob'll be making too much of a fuss of this after tonight, but I get the sense that he's not too happy about the carelessness and I don't think he'll want to be wrestling Jack any time in the near future.

- In better news, we got a standout performance from Jerry Lynn in our tag team match tonight. Considering he was in there with two, aging but seasoned veteran hands and a promising worker like Little Guido, the match really ended up being the Jerry Lynn story. Jerry's been around a lot longer than the role we have him in might suggest and he's really overdue an opportunity in his career.

- I was a little disappointed in the main event and again, I'm left a little down on Furnas and LaFon. No longer can these two be considered super-workers. It's a shame and I thought they underperformed before the match too in their attack on Tommy. They're still of value to us, but what level of value, I'm not so sure.

Last edited by cbacon87 : 04-24-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Unread 04-24-2018, 04:59 PM
Super Star

Enjoying this so far! I think you've done a good job capturing the "ECW vibe". Keep it up!
Unread 04-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
ECW HOUSE PARTY 1998

STAIRWAY TO HELL MATCH
The Sandman vs. Sabu (w/Bill Alfonso)

Rob Van Dam (w/Bill Alfonso) vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

ECW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES
Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon (w/Lance Wright) (c) vs. Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten

Taz vs. Brakus (w/Lance Wright)

Justin Credible (w/Jason and Bobcat) vs. The Great Sasuke

Tommy Dreamer, John Kronus and Spike Dudley vs. The Dudley Boyz (Buh Buh Ray, D-Von and Big Dick) (w/Studley Dudley)

Jerry Lynn and Tommy Rogers vs. Roadkill and Paul Diamond (w/Chastity)

Al Snow vs. Tracy Smothers (w/Tommy Rich)
---

No official prediction contest or anything yet, we'll see how things go before we get into anything like that, but I figure I'd put the card out there for you anyway.
Unread 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM

really digging this!
Unread 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Minor League

Really excited to see where you take some of these characters, especially Al Snow as he was getting over like crazy around this time.

ECW HOUSE PARTY 1998

STAIRWAY TO HELL MATCH

Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon (w/Lance Wright) (c) vs. Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten

Tommy Dreamer, John Kronus and Spike Dudley vs. The Dudley Boyz (Buh Buh Ray, D-Von and Big Dick) (w/Studley Dudley)

Unread 04-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Super Star

STAIRWAY TO HELL MATCH
I like Sabu more, but I figure you'll need a top babyface like Sandy to look good

lol

Looking at you, Kronus

Unread 04-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Living Legend

ECW HOUSE PARTY 1998

STAIRWAY TO HELL MATCH

Unread 05-30-2018, 06:04 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Hmm, that took a while. But now, the story begins in earnest...
Quote:
MONDAY NIGHT SCOUTING
RAW
- Show opened with a Shawn promo and an interruption by Taker. Fit Finlay got interview time before his match with Steve Blackman, which he won via DQ, when Bradshaw ran in. Kama Mustafa beat One Man Gang. Triple H and Stone Cold ended up getting into a brawl, with HHH trying to make sure Austin doesn't make it to the Royal Rumble, perhaps tipping off who's probably going to win the Royal Rumble. Ahmed and 8-Ball, no contest. Rock IC Title defence against Aguila, no contest. I guess this is Rock's gimmick now. Main event was Shawn and Vader, in a THIRD straight no contest of the show, this one setting up the Rumble on Sunday with a big schmozz.

SHOTGUN TAPING
- Segment with Sable and Sgt. Slaughter. One Man Gang squashed Scott Taylor, literally I can only presume. D-Lo Brown beat Fit Finlay with a Bradshaw distraction. And Henry Godwinn over Bart Gunn in a match two years past it's sell-by date.

NITRO
- Nash interrupted a Sting promo to warn him that the NWO weren't done with him at the top. Eddie over Chavo. Wrath over Stevie Ray. Davey Boy beat Alex Wright. Hogan and Bret had a confrontation over what happened at Starrcade. Hogan has an 'out' for losing a match and is playing it up to the maximum effect, in a shocking development. Ric Flair beat Rocco Rock. And the main event saw Roddy Piper beat DDP. A fairly standard episode of the show, not too much craziness going on this week.

SAT. NIGHT TAPING
- Booty Man and Lenny Lane segment which I'm sure was a thriller. Kidman over Psychosis. Rude hosted an interview segment with Rick Martel and Alex Wright involved. Wrath over Rey Jr. And Hugh Morrus over Mortis.

----
Quote:
ECW HOUSE PARTY 98
January 10, 1998

ECW Arena, Philadelphia, PA

ECW's first Arena event of 1998 promised to live up to it's Party billing, as with Tracy Smothers and Tommy Rich already in the ring, a strange scene surrounded them. Al Snow made his way out to the ring along with Head, to be welcomed by an arena full of Head-a-likes, as seemingly every person inside the ECW Arena was waving a styrofoam head over their own. Snow played up to the crowd, leading the heads in motion, while Smothers and Rich tried to figure out exactly what they'd gotten into and Joey tried to figure out exactly what the hell he was calling.

(D-)

Al Snow -vs- Tracy Smothers (w/Tommy Rich)

So the night's opening match, accompanied by the sounds of styrofoam heads being banged together reverberating around the ECW Arena, saw two men in very different situations. Al had been on quite the roll ever since getting Head, while Smothers was still trying to regroup from losing the World Tag Team Championships, with the state of the FBI under question from Joey on commentary.

Smothers seemed thrown off by the sea of heads at the start and struggled in the early going, The Big Don's attempts to try and calm Smothers down falling on deaf ears. Partly because, with all the banging of styrofoam, Smothers couldn't really hear anything and was getting more and more would up. Eventually Rich would prove his worth with a grab of the ankle to distract Al, allowing Smothers to attack from behind and turn the tide his way. The vocal crowd support for Snow was still playing on Smothers though and after a missed charge in the corner, Snow was rolling again. Rich looked on despairingly, trying to will Smothers to pull himself together. It never came though and the Snow Plow would seal it for Al, picking up another victory, while the FBI continued to lose momentum.

Winner: Al Snow, by pinfall, in 5:50
(D)

--------

Jerry Lynn and Tommy Rogers -vs- Roadkill and Paul Diamond (w/Chastity)

Two teams that had come together in recent months looked to further establish themselves in the next match, with potential eyes on the World Tag Team Championships. Lynn and Rogers had put some impressive wins under their belt recently, over former champions The Pitbulls and The FBI. Diamond and Roadkill were less experienced as a team meanwhile, but both being under the wing of manager Chastity, they were looking to announce themselves here.

Like Lynn and Rogers's match with the FBI recently, this was an interesting mix, with two tag team specialists in Rogers and Diamond, alongside two of ECW's fresher faces in Lynn and Roadkill. And while Rogers and Diamond were fairly well matched, Lynn and Roadkill was a battle of speed versus power. Power won out at first, Roadkill gaining the advantage for his team by using his bowling ball like frame to run through Jerry. Lynn's evasiveness would set up the tag to Rogers though and Lynn and Rogers's burgeoning teamwork proved the key factor. Lynn would return to aid Rogers in fighting off both opponents and with Lynn having taken Roadkill out with a plancha on the floor, Rogers was left with Diamond, hitting the Tomakaze and strengthening Jerry and Tommy's case for a Tag Title shot down the road.

Winners: Lynn and Rogers, by pinfall, in 6:18
(D)

--------

Tommy Dreamer, John Kronus and Spike Dudley -vs- The Dudley Boyz (Buh Buh Ray, D-Von and Big Dick) (w/Studley Dudley)

Kronus and Spike had been having their issues with the Dudleys recently and with New Jack not here tonight, they looked to draft in a replacement partner to take them on again. And as replacement partners go, they don't come too much better than the heart of soul of ECW himself, Tommy Dreamer.

Dreamer would enter right into the spirit of the match and picked up where New Jack would have left off, as the match spilled to the floor straight away when The Dudleys attempted a sneak attack, but their opponents were ready for them. The two teams paired off with Buh Buh and Spike, D-Von and Kronus and Dreamer taking the fight to Big Dick, spending a few minutes on the floor before Spike and Buh Buh made their way into the ring and Spike found himself launched into the lights with a high back drop. Things would settle down into more of a traditional tag match at that point, somehow, with The Dudleys focusing their attack on their little half brother. Dreamer would rally the crowd and eventually lead his team back into the match off the hot tag. And with Dreamer clearing the way, along with a Spike low blow to fell Big Dick like a big oak, Kronus ended up hitting a 450 off the top to pin the big man for his team.

Winners: Dreamer, Kronus and Spike, by pinfall, in 7:52
(D)

--------

ECW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon (c) (w/Lance Wright) -vs- Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten

For months, Balls and Axl had been chasing the World Tag Team Championships, held at the time by the Full Blooded Italians. Many times, they'd been close and more than once, the championships were as good as theirs, if not for some bad luck and above all, some shady 'officiating'. At that point, you'd have thought Balls and Axl couldn't have had much more motivation to finally right those wrongs and capture the gold. That was until December, when in a triple threat match, Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon would be helped to the titles, on behalf of the World Wrestling Federation. Now, coming into this match, Balls and Axl weren't just out to win the titles for themselves. They were out to bring the titles back for ECW.

As you'd expect Balls and Axl came out fists flying for this one, all fired up at their chance to finally win the gold. That wasn't a game Furnas and LaFon were comfortable playing and this match was a battle of skill and technique against fire and fury, with the WWF team's attempts to turn this into a wrestling match often winding up with a painful beating for their troubles. Furnas and LaFon are pros and would stick to the gameplan regardless, getting some impressive suplexes in on their challengers and briefly cutting the ring off on Balls while working over the leg. Sheer force of will seemed to be too much though and when Axl ran through both champions and called for the steel chair, the titles looked to finally be coming home to ECW. Unfortunately, Balls and Axl had been here before...

Joey: "Wait a minute... it's Jeff Jones! Who let this idiot in the building again!?"

Jones took assigned official Jim Molineaux's attention, but got Axl's as well, resulting in him being dragged into the ring and sized up for a chair shot instead. Jones begged for his life, but it was a low blow from Furnas that saved him. When Molineaux complained, Jones then resorted to the same tactic and went through the uprights on the actual official, while Furnas attempted to give Axl a taste of his own medicine with the chair. Balls would interject and the two teams began brawling in the ring, at which point Jones tried to call for a double disqualification.

Joey: "Don't listen to him! This man has no authority in ECW!"

No bell was rung and nobody actually listened to Jones. This was the excuse Lance Wright needed to get his champions out of dodge though, the champions leaving up the aisle and engaging in another brawl with Balls and Axl back through the curtain, with no official winner begin announced and another opportunity for Balls and Axl going up in smoke.

Official Result: No Decision, in 8:11
(D)

--------

After the chaotic end to the last match the show would take a brief breather before coming back with Joey Styles in the ring to address the crowd. Joey did his usual routine, hyping up the show and talking about how ECW was setting the standard for professional wrestling heading into 1998.

Most of the crowd weren't listening to him by that point though. Their attention was taken by a man, dressed in all black, walking down the aisle with a purpose.

And even Joey trailed off in mid sentence, mouth agape as he noticed just who was approaching the ring.

Owen Hart was in the ECW Arena.

The crowd, understandably, went nuts as Owen climbed into the ring and stood next to Joey, who between the noise of the crowd and his own shock took a minute or so, but seemed like longer, to compose himself. Before, not so eloquently, managing to stammer out the question everybody was surely wondering, "wh-what are YOU doing HERE?"

Owen: "What am I doing here? Something I should have done a long time ago. See I was invited here to ECW to speak my mind... and Joey Styles, I've got a few things to get off my chest."

Joey would shrug and hand over the microphone to Owen, as eager to hear what he had to say as everyone else probably was, leaving Owen to talk about what happened in Montreal a couple months ago and how he'd been sat at home since then. He told everyone that he'd done a lot of thinking over the past month and he had a lot more still to do, but there was one decision that he'd come to.

Owen: "See I've been a company guy for a long time now. For 9 years, I've busted my back, trying to be the best. And I'm sick and tired of being disrespected, so as far as I'm concerned, the bullshit stops here. I'm not going to be some corporate puppet anymore. I'm not gonna sit there and be taken for granted for my loyalty. My brother Bret, Neidhart, Bulldog, they did what they had to do. And now, I'm going to do what I have to do. I'm going to forge my own path and I'm gonna show the whole world exactly what I'm about. From now on, this Hart is going to beat for itself. I'm doing things MY way, by MY rules and I'm going to do it on my own and there's nobody who's going to tell me what to do or when to do it and that includes Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation, because as far as I'm concerned, you can shove it!"

The crowd were understandably behind Owen all the way here and roared their approval for Owen saying that, as he handed the microphone back over and did a lap of the ring slapping hands on his way out, as Joey continued to look stunned at what just happened.

(C+)

--------

After that shocking turn of events, it was time to regroup a little, as Justin Credible made his way to the ring for his upcoming match, alongside Jason and his new valet, Bobcat. Jason would take the microphone before the match and proclaim Justin as the man who put Mikey Whipwreck on the shelf and the man who would send The Great Sasuke back to Japan with his tail between his legs, for the second time. Justin meanwhile spent the entire time goading the crowd, who's chants of "Aldo" didn't seem to go down well with him.

(D-)

Justin Credible (w/Jason and Bobcat) -vs- The Great Sasuke

Justin had already shocked the world once against the man considered to be one of the finest junior heavyweights in Japan, if not the world. Last time was a little different though. This time, Sasuke had specifically returned to America because of the disrespect shown by Justin, not just towards himself, but towards Mikey Whipwreck. And with something to prove against the brash upstart, Sasuke came out with a lot more fire than he did in their first encounter.

At the start of the match Credible could barely get any respite, followed to the floor any time he tried to take a breather, either on foot or through the air. At one point a Sasuke baseball slide sent Credible flying over the barricade and into the front row, where Sasuke gave the crowd an even closer view of his devestating kicks before following Justin back inside. It would be a baseball slide that turned the tide in Justin's favour though, sidestepping a second one later on and sending Sasuke into the barricade, before going to work on the knee of the Japanese star. Joey pointed out that Credible was trying to do to Sasuke what he'd done to Mikey, as he used whatever he could to damage the knee, be it ring post, ring apron or even a chair. Sasuke's flying and his kicks were both hampered by the bad knee and it made getting back into the match tougher too.

Sasuke would try and a while he was succeeding, able to pull off some of his awe-inspiring arsenal even on one leg. The knee was always there waiting to be exploited though. And after a kick to the knee to stop Sasuke in his tracks, Credible was able to hit his spinning tombstone. Sasuke kicked out, much to Justin's surprise. A second spinning tombstone followed though and this time it was enough, giving Justin two wins over one of Japan's finest and forcing some begrudging respect from Joey on commentary.

Winner: Justin Credible, via pinfall, in 7:49
(C-)

--------

Taz -vs- Brakus (w/Lance Wright)

This match had been months in the making, ever since Lance Wright introduced the man known as Brakus as his bodyguard. The powerhouse from Germany had seemingly been on a collision course with Taz every time he appeared, but every time, Brakus was convinced not to fight by Wright. Fearing no man, no matter the size, clearly Taz was more than willing to see what the WWF's hired muscle was made of. The question was, when would Lance Wright relent and let Brakus compete.

Well, the answer was here and the result wasn't pretty for the World Wrestling Federation. Taz had been in this position before and every man who thought they could simply beat Taz with size ended up suffering the same fate. Brakus was no different, getting a few clubbing shots in on Taz at the start, before a couple of suplexes and a Tazmission later, he became just another victim.

Winner: Taz, by submission, in 2:51
(D-)

Taz celebrated the win after the match, Brakus and Lance Wright making a hasty exit, as Taz stood tall having vanquished another opponent.

(C)

--------

Rob Van Dam (w/Bill Alfonso) -vs- Bam Bam Bigelow

1997's November To Remember was headlined by a punishing main event between Bam Bam Bigelow and Shane Douglas for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship, which neither man came out of unscathed. Douglas won the title but left with a shattered elbow, still yet to return and with question marks hanging over his future in ECW. Meanwhile, Bigelow also hadn't been seen since losing the title and on his return to the ring, a tough test awaited him in the athletic and confident Rob Van Dam.

Clearly, dropping the ECW Title had lit a fire under The Beast From The East though as he looked like a monster in the early stages of the match, finally let loose. Van Dam did his best to stick and move to take the fight to Bigelow, but any time he got caught, or took a shot, RVD clearly felt the effects. At one point, Bigelow even teased pressing Van Dam from the ring into the second row, in shades of his monumental feat on Spike Dudley, with only a rake of the eyes saving Van Dam from some unwanted crowd surfing.

Van Dam would be forced to get creative to find a way into the match under Bigelow's onslaught, bringing a chair into play when the match moved outside to even the odds. And having avoided being sent flying into the crowd earlier on, Van Dam would choose to take flight on his own volition, with a jaw-dropping somersault dive from the top rope, over the barricade and onto Bam Bam that popped the crowd. The time away finally started to seem like it had caught up to Bigelow at that point, as RVD pushed the pressure and Joey had to question Bigelow's condition and how close to 100% he came into the match at.

Bigelow still had plenty left in the tank, as it turns out and he fought his way back into the match with big power moves, after catching RVD on a crossbody attempt and delivering a splash. Just when Bigelow seemed on the right track again however, the Triple Threat would hit the ring. Chris Candido and Lance Storm would both try to help RVD out and both get laid out by Bigelow. Sunny then attempted a distraction on the bigman and almost took a trip to Asbury Park for her troubles, but for a low blow from Candido. The two on one ensued, but was brief, Bigelow pressing Candido into Lance and sending both men scurrying to the floor. That allowed RVD to connect with a spin kick for two, but after a combo of strikes, RVD got caught with a clothesline that turned him inside out, before a big powerbomb would pick up the win for Bam Bam, in spite of the Triple Threat's efforts.

Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow, by pinfall, in 14:02
(C+)

--------

STAIRWAY TO HELL MATCH
The Sandman -vs- Sabu (w/Bill Alfonso)

The main event saw the continuation of the ongoing feud between The Sandman and Sabu and as Joey wondered aloud on commentary, it wasn't clear what it would take to settle the score. Having already faced each other in Singapore Cane, Tables And Ladders and Death Matches, this match would be a first ever, the Stairway To Hell Match. Essentially, this was like a regular ladder match. But instead of retrieving a belt, above the ring hung a loop of barbed wire. And by pulling it down, you didn't win the match, but instead, you got to use it on your opponent.

In the mean time, Sabu and Sandman were content to 'just' use ladders and tables and other assorted weaponry on each other, in a variety of innovative and insane ways, in what was a chaotic contest to close the show. The bar between the two seemed to have been raised at November To Remember, but they may well have topped it here. Sabu would fly in the ring, out of the ring and over the guardrail. Sandman would resort to suplexing inanimate objects into Sabu to cause more damage. Both men would go through tables and the crowd would get an up close and personal view of all of this mayhem, as for a while, the barbed wire seemed a secondary consideration.

Eventually it would be Sandman who made the first climb for it. He'd soon regret it though as Sabu pushed the ladder, sending Sandman careering over the top rope and through another table on the arena floor. Sabu would then retrieve the barbed wire, only to make the mistake of leaping off the top at Sandman with it, only for Sandman to sidestep and Sabu to crash into the barricade.

The barbed wire was now in play, which only turned up the violence. Both men ended up tasting the wire along the way, but still that wasn't enough. Sandman brought his trusty singapore cane into the match. Sabu meanwhile dug into his boot and produced a pair of scissors, in some sort of homage to his uncle The Original Sheik. Both men would be left bleeding profusely by the end of it but particularly Sandman, who looked the more worse for wear of the two, just about. Sabu couldn't find the nutty move to put Sandman away however and the Sandman would hang in the match, long enough to find the cane again and connect.

One more table would be introduced into the fray and thanks to a chair slid in by Fonzie, it would be Sandman set up on it, wrapped in barbed wire, with Sabu climbing to the top of a ladder. Sandman would met Sabu at the top though, still wrapped in the wire. And with a superplex off the top through the table, Sandman mercifully got the three, to end a memorable main event to the show.

Winner: The Sandman, via pinfall, in 14:45
(C+)

--------

OVERALL- C

Quote:
SHOW NOTES
- I'm ecstatic that, even if it's for a short time, we've got Tammy on board and she's a part of ECW. But, with that said, it's such a shame she's so hard to work with and that, apparently, not everyone is so happy to have her around. Her attitude hasn't gone down well with some of the locker room and I had to warn her to play nice, because it was looking like it could turn into a more troublesome situation. Whether it'll get through, I don't know.

- Jerry was once again the star in his and Tommy's tag team match, but Tommy is finding things easier as he re-finds himself as a Wholesome face again.

- We kept Bubba and D-Von strong in the six man tag, including by having Big Dick take the fall. We have to use Big Dick sparingly, because the crowd know how limited he is and aren't shy about vocalising that fact. Even here, with the match being a glorified brawl and protecting how we used him, he still took a ton of heat from the crowd. But, a guy his size is a good win for people to get.

- Sasuke and Credible are a great pairing and Sasuke's been invaluable in setting the foundations for Justin as an upstart heel. Now Justin's 2-0 over him, we probably can't go back to this any time soon. But, something to keep in the back pocket.

- This was it for Brakus. Look, the guy's no good. He's a jakked up bodybuilder and he's green as grass. But this was always going to be the plan. Build up to the match and get it over and done with quickly. Taz gets another giant on a resume and we helped Vince out by giving his pet project something to do for a few months. Any longer than three minutes and we might have lost the crowd for the rest of the show. This was laid out as much as we could have done to get Brakus through it and he still stunk up the joint. Maybe this vocation isn't for you, Brakus. But hey, good luck to you. You have muscles and that's a start.

- I set aside time after the show to compliment Bam Bam, who really delivered with Rob tonight, as well as acknowledging Tommy Rogers and Paul Diamond as good examples for the rest of the locker room. Having that veteran presence on the show is something I value and these guys are solid hands with a lot of knowledge to share particularly when it comes to tag team wrestling. Maybe they're not the kind of guys most people think of when they hear the name 'ECW', but they're an important and undervalued part of things in my opinion.

Last edited by cbacon87 : 05-30-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Unread 06-02-2018, 05:25 AM
Low Minors

Saturday, January 10th 1998

We'd had a month to build to this moment and I knew, this could be big. Until I saw Owen Hart step into that ring though, I couldn't completely rely on it actually happening. There was always a chance that he could back out, decide that this wasn't really the move he wanted to make. There was a chance that Vince would change his mind too, a real chance. This wasn't like with Pillman, or even with Austin. We were relying on other factors, more than just Owen. This whole situation since Survivor Series last year had been a whirlwind and there were still weeks before the show for somebody to see some sense and say, "you know what, let's not do this".

But there he was. Owen Hart. In the ECW Arena.

After Bischoff dropped the ball on Bret's debut, I hope that people see what we're doing with Owen and stick around to find out what happens next. After all, we've got some big plans of our own, long term plans, whether they pick the Bret Hart ball back up or not.

Speaking with Owen, I like to think he's fully on board. If the response he got didn't convince him that ECW is the place to be for him right now, I'm not sure what will. We've tried to sell this to him on a number of levels. Right now, he's probably still wondering how things ended up going like this. But now he's got a foot in the door, I'm confident we can do some great things together.

Owen isn't the first big name to step through the doors and into our locker room. It's something that has been crucial in driving this group of wrestlers forward over the years, having somebody join our cause and convince the rest of the locker room, you DO matter. Bringing in Owen at this point in time serves a dual purpose. Terry Funk has spoken about wanting to move on to a new venture within the next few months, when our current agreement is up. I would never stand in his way and if there's one more big payday out there for him, nobody deserves it more. Of all the people who've joined our family, Terry has without a doubt been the most important. When Terry leaves, I can only hope Owen embraces ECW in half the same way. If he does, I'm excited for where we go from here.
Unread 06-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Star

Thank God you came back
Unread 06-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Low Minors

----
Quote:
ECW HARDCORE TV
January 11, 1998

We opened with Joey at the commentary position, hyping the events of House Party 98 and the moment that the entire wrestling world was talking about, as Owen Hart, the former World Wrestling Federation Intercontinental Champion, appeared in the middle of the ring in the ECW Arena and called his shot. Styles promised exclusive footage from House Party 98 later in the show and that we would hear Owen Hart's comments, in full, right here tonight on Hardcore TV.

(C+)

--------

Taz -vs- Danny Doring

Having taken care of the massive Brakus in impressive fashion at House Party 98, Taz returned to the ring and made short work of another opponent, albeit one considerably less intimidating in size. Young Danny Doring didn't really stand a chance here, as this was just a three minutes display of Taz's suplex repertoire, teaching his inexperienced opponent a harsh wrestling lesson. Joey claimed that Taz was looking as good and as focused as he ever had, as he polished off Doring with the Tazmission, to end a one sided contest and make another statement.

Winner: Taz, by submission, in 3:16
(D+)

--------

Back at the desk, Joey narrated over footage of Al Snow's entrance at House Party 98 for his match with Tracy Smothers, with the crowd at the ECW Arena showing their support with a sea of styrofoam heads. Joey called it one of the weirdest experiences he'd ever seen in ECW and the ground that that covered, stating that the ECW faithful seemed to be embracing Al and his strange ways like nothing we'd seen before.

(E+)

--------

Roadkill (w/Chastity) -vs- Super Crazy

"The Lancaster Bull" had been turning some heads with his performances in recent weeks and went up against international opposition here tonight, in the former of Mexican luchador, Super Crazy.

The contrast in styles gave Roadkill a few problems at various points in the match, as he struggled to keep up with Crazy and his high flying any time Crazy managed to take to the air. When Roadkill was able to utilise his power though, it was the luchador who had no answer. The crowd occupied themselves by getting on Chastity's case at ringside, while Roadkill gradually wore the fight out of Crazy and began to dominate as the luchador ran out of steam. The bigman from Lancaster would put an impressive exclamation point on the match by taking to the top rope himself and finishing Crazy off with a big splash, to pick up a statement win.

Winner: Roadkill, by pinfall, in 5:07
(D+)

--------

Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten -vs- The Dudley Boys (w/Big Dick and Studley Dudley)

Balls and Axl's pursuit of the ECW Tag Team Championships hit another hurdle at House Party 98, as more referee shenanigans got in the way of a title challenge and resulted in their match against champions Furnas and LaFon ending in a no contest. To get themselves back on track, they would have to go through the Dudley Boys, who's attention had been more focused on little brother Spike than tag team gold in recent weeks and who were coming off of a defeat in six man tag team action.

To the surprise of no-one, this match threw any kind of rules out the window and quickly wound up as a brawl around the ringside area, as both teams decided to take out their recent frustrations on each other's bodies. Fighting outside the ring and into the first few rows of the crowd, the Dudleys were introduced to a number of handily placed chairs by the masters of the steel, before the match finally got back towards the ring a good four or five minutes in. The Dudleys tried to give as good they got in the brawl, but it was Balls and Axl who were getting the better of things, as they retrieved their trusty steel chairs and prepared to put Bubba and D-Von away.

Just as they prepared to wind up though, the Tag Team Champions would hit the ring and attack Balls and Axl from behind, sparking a brawl between the two teams. Balls and Axl got rid of Furnas and Balls then tackled LaFon out to the floor, allowing Axl to go back for his chair. Furnas would re-appear though and nail Axl in the back of the head from the apron, leaving him prone for the 3D, which gave The Dudleys a very un-earned victory.

Winners: The Dudley Boys, by pinfall, in 8:14
(C-)

--------

After commercials, Joey was in excitable mood, as he once again confirmed that tonight, we would see the exclusive footage from House Party 98 of the appearance of Owen Hart. As Joey hyped up the moment though and just as it seemed like he was ready to throw to the footage, Lance Wright would step right in front of the camera shot at cut Joey off.

Joey: "...are you KIDDING me!? Don't you have a coffee to deliver somewhere? Get out of here!"

Holding a video tape in his hand, Lance would inform Joey that tonight, the footage he was promising to show would in fact NOT air, per the wishes of himself and the World Wrestling Federation. Lance explained that Owen Hart was a contracted performer to the WWF and that he couldn't be shown on TV without his say-so and since he didn't authorise for Owen to appear and because of the disrespectful words used by Mr. Hart during his appearance, he was going to make sure that nobody saw what happened.

Joey, however, seemed unconcerned and threatened to call someone to get rid of Wright, which freaked him out, causing him to immediately switch to begging Joey not to show the footage or he might get in trouble. Joey would end up shooing Wright off, who facade of any sort of authority really didn't last very long, before announcing that the main event was up next and then, following the conclusion of that match, they would show what happened with Owen.

(D+)

--------

Ahead of the main event, the self-professed "Sexiest Man Alive" Jason, with Bobcat by his side, would handle the introductions for the ever-unpopular Justin Credible himself.

(D)

Justin Credible (w/Jason and Bobcat) -vs- Jerry Lynn

That main event would see two of ECW's rising prospects going one on one, as they looked to continue their impressive recent runs. After losing his undefeated streak to Mikey Whipwreck at November To Remember, Justin Credible had bounced back in a big way, putting Whipwreck on the shelf with a knee injury and at House Party 98, defeating the international sensation The Great Sasuke for the second time. Jerry had been more focused on tag team competition, as himself and Tommy Rogers had formed a formidable team, which knocked off Roadkill and Paul Diamond at the same show. So squaring off one on one would be another chance to impress for both.

The early feeling out stage off the match would be a cagey one, as the two competitors tried to out-wrestle each other, with neither able to get a clear advantage. Credible showed that behind the unlikable personality lied a talented wrestler, but any time Lynn looked to have gained the upper hand, Credible was also quick to roll outside and break the momentum to go 'discuss strategy' with Jason and Bobcat on the floor. That didn't endear him to the crowd and it didn't endear him to Jerry much either, who eventually tired of this game and caught Justin by surprise with a baseball slide, sending him careering over the barricade and into the front row. Jerry took the fight to Credible from there, until an opportunistic move from Credible turned the tide, catching Lynn for a back suplex but then crotching him on the top rope and knocking him to the floor.

Jason stayed out of the action, but Credible took the fight to Lynn on the floor himself, leading to him taking control of the match. And he maintained that control for a while, as he tried to ground and wear Lynn down. As Justin slowed things down, the crowd got behind Jerry though, which caused Justin to start to lose his focus and jaw with the fans. That allowed Jerry back into the match and he looked to take advantage, putting together a string of near falls on the brash upstart. Struggling to get his head back in the game, Credible couldn't regain any kind of advantage for long and Jerry was building momentum. Justin stayed in the fight though, long enough to pull off the key counter of the match. After a boot up in the corner, a tilt a whirl headscissors attempt by Jerry was blocked and instead, Justin would connect with the spinning tombstone piledriver. A hook of the leg later and Credible secured another win and although as Joey pointed out he was pushed all the way, it was another victory to add to his growing resume.

Winner: Justin Credible, by pinfall, in 12:28
(C-)

--------

Before the show came to an end though, as promised, we returned for the footage from House Party 98 and the shock appearance in an ECW ring of Owen Hart.

Quote:
ECW House Party 98

Owen: "What am I doing here? Something I should have done a long time ago. See I was invited here to ECW to speak my mind... and Joey Styles, I've got a few things to get off my chest."

Joey would shrug and hand over the microphone to Owen, as eager to hear what he had to say as everyone else probably was, leaving Owen to talk about what happened in Montreal a couple months ago and how he'd been sat at home since then. He told everyone that he'd done a lot of thinking over the past month and he had a lot more still to do, but there was one decision that he'd come to.

Owen: "See I've been a company guy for a long time now. For 9 years, I've busted my back, trying to be the best. And I'm sick and tired of being disrespected, so as far as I'm concerned, the bullshit stops here. I'm not going to be some corporate puppet anymore. I'm not gonna sit there and be taken for granted for my loyalty. My brother Bret, Neidhart, Bulldog, they did what they had to do. And now, I'm going to do what I have to do. I'm going to forge my own path and I'm gonna show the whole world exactly what I'm about. From now on, this Hart is going to beat for itself. I'm doing things MY way, by MY rules and I'm going to do it on my own and there's nobody who's going to tell me what to do or when to do it and that includes Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation, because as far as I'm concerned, you can shove it!"

Back in the commentary position, Joey discussed what we just saw, stating that Owen Hart sent a message, loud and clear, straight to the doorstep of Titan Towers. Styles relays word that Owen immediately left the building afterwards, but on his way out the door, an open invitation for him to return to the ECW Arena was made.

Joey: "Owen Hart was non-committal on whether or not he would return. And so, the question remains, was last night a one-off statement of defiance? What does the future now hold for the career of the "Lone Hart", Owen Hart... and does that future include Extreme Championship Wrestling?"

(C+)

--------

OVERALL- C-

Quote:
SHOW NOTES
- I don't usually get involved in the personal lives of the guys, but when it impacts on what happens in the ring and with Owen's arrival, maybe we need to change that stance a little. The fact that Balls and both Dudleys were all hot at the state Axl was in during their match meant I probably would have had to step in anyway. But with the direction we're going, I guess I have to play to people's better judgement. I warned Axl about letting his recreational life affect his professional life and left it at that for now. I guess the guys will take some getting used to this, but hey, we're working towards something here.

- I was hoping for Roadkill to impress and brought in a young kid who's got a lot of potential to make him look good. He had a real off night, unfortunately, which was bad timing. I still see something there though, so I'll stick with him.
Unread 06-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
WWF ROYAL RUMBLE 1998 LIVE RESULTS

- Fit Finlay defeated Blackjack Bradshaw, in a physical grudge match.

- The New Age Outlaws successfully defending their WWF World Tag Team Championships against The Legion Of Doom.

- In a match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship, it appeared that Ken Shamrock had won the title, after surviving a brass knuckles shot from The Rock. However, The Rock was able to convince the referee that Shamrock had infact used the knuckles post match, causing the official to reverse the decision and give The Rock another shady win by DQ.

- Shamrock would snap after the match, laying out The Rock but leaving without the title.

- TAKA Michinoku retained the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship against Brian Christopher, in a rematch of the title tournament finals at IYH: D-Generation X.

- The 1998 Royal Rumble Match was won by Stone Cold Steve Austin, who booked his place at Wrestlemania XIV, last eliminating HHH. Also in the final four were Mankind and The Rock.

The 30 entrants were: 8-Ball, Ahmed Johnson, Bob Holly, Chainz, D-Lo Brown, Faarooq, Flash Funk, Goldust, Henry Godwinn, The Honky Tonk Man, Jacques Rougeau, Jeff Jarrett, Kama, Ken Shamrock, Kurrgan, Mankind, Marc Mero, Mark Henry, Mosh, Norman Smiley, The One Man Gang, Phineas Godwinn, Savio Vega, Skull, Steve Austin, Steve Blackman, The Rock, Thrasher, HHH and Vader

In other key moments in the match, tension would boil over between The Nation Of Domination, as all five members fought each other during the match and Faarooq would stab Kama in the back late in the match to eliminate him. Ken Shamrock and The Rock did battle again, while there were surprise appearances by The Honky Tonk Man and former WCW competitor Norman Smiley.

- The main event was a casket match for the WWF Championship, with Shawn Michaels defending against The Undertaker. The Undertaker looked at home in his signature match and seemed on the way to winning the championship, until the intervention of Kane, who ended up chokeslamming his brother into the casket and helping Shawn to retain the gold. Kane would continue the attack after the match, ending the show by delivering a Tombstone onto the top of the casket and posing over his brother.

Sunday, January 11th 1998

As expected, Vince went through with setting up Austin versus Michaels as the main event for Wrestlemania. Anything else would have been the wrong move in my opinion; thankfully, Vince wasn't tempted to throw a surprise at anyone.

After all the turmoil that's been caused by what happened at Survivor Series, this was the first time you could feel a sense of direction in the show. Clearly, Vince has regrouped. The Rumble was completely built around Austin, which again was the right move. It was so obvious he was winning, but that's partly because it was obvious no-one else SHOULD have won. That result and the quality of the main event between Michaels and Taker made for a well received show and with a double main event of Austin versus Michaels and Undertaker against his monster brother character Kane, they've set up an intriguing Wrestlemania. At least at the top, that is.

We had tried at the last minute to try and get Al into the Rumble match, with the idea for a bit of exposure and a skit ready to be filmed for afterwards. Unfortunately, by the time I pitched this to Vince, he'd already finally the line-up. Now, if you're asking me, could you have told Honky Tonk Man to stay home? Absolutely. But, I guess if Vince had already promised the slot to him, what are you gonna do? Maybe next year.

While Vince has a direction and a focus, I don't know what to make of WCW. Flair turned heel this past Monday on Nitro, seemingly out of the blue. Presumably, that sets him up to face Hart or Sting. But they're both still tied up with the NWO, which after Starrcade, is still a thing. Don't get me wrong, Ric Flair is one of the great wrestling heels of recent times. But with the NWO still taking up much of the show, I don't see what upside there is for both Flair and Piper to be put on the heel side in recent weeks.

Vince has Wrestlemania in his sights and we have Owen. I don't know what WCW have in their mind. But to be honest, who gives a damn? Vince turning things around is in our best interests too, after all.
Unread 07-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
MONDAY NIGHT SCOUTING
RAW
- Vader got promo time before defeating Brakus. Segment with the Nation, with Kama and D-Lo leaving the group and turning face after they'd clashed in the Rumble match. Phineas Godwinn beat Mark Henry, since he had no help from the Nation. Rock and Shamrock ended up in a pull-apart to further their feud. Kane squashed Norman Smiley. Triple H tried to ambush Austin backstage but got fought off. Outlaws defended the Tag Titles over The New Blackjacks. And Mankind beat Triple H in the main event, with Austin interference.

SHOTGUN TAPING
- Mark Henry over Stevie. Smiley and Aguila beat Jesus and Jose. Bart Gunn over Recon.

NITRO
- Page promo to open, with Hennig interrupting but getting shut down by Page. Hall and Nash beat the Public Enemy. Sting ended up laying out Nash afterwards. Piper over Rick Martel. DDP beat Wrath, non title. Hogan and Savage tried to recruit Bret into the NWO, because of course they did, but he stayed pretty vague on the whole situation. Flair over Prince Iaukea. And the main event saw Luger beat Sting, thanks to the Outsiders, so I guess Luger's joined the NWO now. All of this to set up Sting and Hall at the PPV.

SAT. NIGHT TAPING
- Segment with Kimberly and Elizabeth. Riggs beat Louie Spicolli. Booty Man and Kidman had a confrontation of some sort. Glacier and Ernest Miller no contest with Disco and Alex Wright. Main event was Rey Mysterio Jr. over Wrath in an upset.

----
Quote:
ECW HARDCORE TV
January 18, 1998

The show opened in the ring, in front of an already raucous crowd, as Joey Styles stands in the ring with a man we haven't seen much of at all since November To Remember, the ECW World Heavyweight Champion, "The Franchise" Shane Douglas. The reason we hadn't seen much of him since was the shattered elbow he suffered in that match and that arm was out of a sling, but still bandaged up, as he stood solemnly next to Joey holding the ECW Title in his other arm. And his absence had raised questions over his future, which Joey questioned him about, asking him if the rumours, unspecified, were true.

An unusually humble Douglas talked about the injury and stated that becoming the first man to retire as World Heavyweight Champion wasn't what he'd planned 16 years ago, but he'd spoken to two separate doctors, who both told him he was done. And they had spoken to the State Athletic Commission and told them that he was done.

Douglas: "So I guess I'm done...... done listening to ****ing doctors, because I'm not ****ing retiring!"

As the crowd popped, Joey questioned the logic of this, but Douglas claimed that he had an ace up his sleeve. His elbow wasn't fully healed yet, but given time, he was sure he'd be back to 100%. And the reason he was sure of that was that he had someone to help nurse him back to health. This lead to a woman entering the ring in a sexy nurse's outfit, who Douglas introduced as 'Dawn Marie', his personal rehabilitation assistant. And with her personal care and good bedside manner, The Triple Threat would ride again and The Franchise would continue to rule ECW.

(C)

--------

Al Snow -vs- Tracy Smothers (w/Tommy Rich)

In a rematch from House Party 1998, Al Snow and Tracy Smothers locked heads once more, as Smothers looked to rebound from another dispiriting loss and Snow looked to keep his surprising run of good momentum in the past couple of months going.

Smothers seemed to have learned his lesson, with a few less styrofoam heads to distract him (but still plenty in the crowd) in the early going. He also learned that having Tommy Rich on the outside was a good tool to use, throwing Snow outside for The Big Don to do a number on at least three times, as he managed to control a decent portion of the match. Head may not be able to put the boots to someone like Rich, what with not having any feet and all. But Al's spiritual guider had been proving every bit as useful recently. And regardless of how, or why, Al was able to feed off of Head's advice again and put Smothers on the back foot. Things once again spiraled out of Smothers's hands quickly, which forced The Big Don to try and salvage the situation. Unfortunately, it went very wrong very quickly and ended with Smothers being bumped into Rich, who collapsed to the floor. Distracted, Smothers turned around into the Snow Plow and it was another bad night for the FBI.

Winner: Al Snow, by pinfall, in 7:22
(D+)

It was another big win for Al Snow though and as the fans and Al banged their Heads, Joey remarked that Al was on the biggest roll of his entire career. And it was all thanks to Head.

(D)

--------

A replay of the closing moments to Bam Bam Bigelow's match with RVD at House Party 98 was shown, with Bigelow fighting off the attempted interference of Lance Storm and Chris Candido, en route to an impressive victory.

In a dark room backstage, we then got comments from Taz, about his Television Title match with Bigelow, coming up at Living Dangerously in March. Taz said he challenged Bigelow to the match because he'd made a career out of beating the biggest and the baddest and that Bam Bam was one of the best big men in the business. So he was glad to see that defeat at November To Remember hadn't taken anything out of Bam Bam and he was still a bad ass. He claimed he wanted the very best of Bam Bam at Living Dangerously, because even Bam Bam's best wouldn't stop Taz from choking him out.

(C-)

We then went back to Joey, who discussed what we saw earlier, with The Franchise defying doctor's orders and vowing to remain the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. Joey was sure that while Bam Bam had his sights set on a match with Taz, that the issue between Bam Bam and The Franchise was far from over, particularly after Bigelow had put Franchise on the shelf and almost ended his career. The question was, what would Douglas have planned, now he was back in the fold of ECW.

(C-)

--------

Paul Diamond (w/Chastity) -vs- Chris Chetti

It was a classic case of the veteran against the rookie in this one, as 13 year pro Paul Diamond looked to test the up and comer from the House Of Hardcore, Chris Chetti.

Chetti seemed up for the challenge and gave Diamond some nervy moments, as Diamond seemed to take the match a little lightly. And at one point, having let Chetti back into the match by pulling him up off a cover, Diamond almost suffered a surprise defeat, after a moonsault press off the top capped off a Chetti fightback. It was the intervention of Chastity that spared Diamond's blushes in the end, tripping Chetti as he went up top against and crotching him on the turnbuckle. Diamond took advantage to hit a reverse suplex and pin Chetti, but as Joey pointed out, it was far from convincing in the end.

Winner: Paul Diamond, by pinfall, in 5:16
(E+)

--------

The big news in ECW was still the appearance of Owen Hart at House Party 98, where he vowed to forge his own path and proclaimed that the World Wrestling Federation could shove it. And clearly this was the talk of the locker room, as we got a montage of comments from ECW stars about Owen's appearance.

First was Tommy Dreamer along with Beulah, who was unsurprisingly complimentary about Owen's ability and his attitude in the face of adversity. Dreamer said that Owen was someone that he admired greatly and he hoped so much that Owen Hart would be back soon in the ECW locker room.

The Dudley Boys were, also unsurprisingly, a little less complimentary. They didn't seem completely against the fact that Owen Hart had shown up in ECW. But, they clearly had somewhat of an issue.

Buh Buh: "It you wanna forge your own path, that's fine. But you better not hope that that path crosses ours... because if it does, you're gonna find out that in this business, there's only one family that matters... and it's the Dudleys!"

John Kronus, meanwhile, talked up Owen's ability in the ring as a great high flier and welcomed him to the 'mad house'.

And lastly we got the expert opinion of the FBI, with Rich and Smothers both excited about the news and Rich suggesting that if Owen wanted to come back to "The E C Dubya" some day, they could sit down and talk business over some deep dish pizza, just like mamma used to make.

(D+)

--------

Rob Van Dam (w/Bill Alfonso) -vs- The Sandman

In the main event, it was the continuation of the battle between Team Extreme and Team WWF, as two of the sides' top stars went at it. These two had clashed in various tag team matches in recent weeks, as The Sandman's ongoing feud with Sabu and RVD's issues with Tommy Dreamer crossed paths, so there was some added animosity in this one on one encounter.

Much like Sandman's matches with Van Dam's tag team partner, this turned into a chaotic match pretty quickly, with Van Dam enjoying a constant conveyor belt of weapons from Bill Alfonso to use to his advantage. That style suited both men, with chairs, tables and kendo sticks used early and often by both, in various creative and a lot of the time risky ways. Van Dam would throw everything he had and everything that came to hand at Sandman, but soon found out the hard way how resilient Sandman was, as his escalating uses of the chairs and tables still couldn't seem to put The Sandman down. And Sandman showed he was just as adept as Van Dam in coming up with weird and crazy uses of the weapons, as well as being a dab hand at swinging a singapore cane.

As the carnage began to pile up, it would be an outside intervention that ended up deciding the match. After a suplex to the floor by Sandman that put both through a table and a legdrop off the top with a chair for two, Sandman would hit the White Russian Legsweep, causing Alfonso to jump up on the apron to distract him. On cue, Sabu hit the ring with a chair, coming off the top with it to the back of Sandman's head to knock him down. An Arabian Facebuster followed, by which time Van Dam had recovered. One huge Frog Splash later and Van Dam picked up a tainted victory, thanks in no small part to Sabu, who's rivalry with The Sandman continued to show no signs of being over.

Winner: Rob Van Dam, by pinfall, in 12:36
(C)

--------

OVERALL- C-

Quote:
SHOW NOTES
- After some thought and some debate over what to do with Dawn Marie, the obvious answer seemed to be the best one. With Francine down in Mexico for the foreseeable future, it made sense to to give Shane a new valet and have Dawn fill Francine's role in his act. Shane has worked well with Sherri and Francine in the past, hopefully Dawn will fit in just as well. Her Ditsy act makes her an above average valet. And hey, if Francine decides to come back, maybe we've got a ready made program.

- It'd be nice if Tammy decided to come back, once her temporary deal with us is up. Trouble is, while she's here, she can be a bit of a headache. She turned up late for something we had planned for her and Candido and while it put those involved out, I had to settle for a slap on the wrist. A, she's not really our problem and B, it's Tammy. Chris seemed happy I didn't go overboard at least.

- Sandman looked really off the pace in the main event. Keeping up with Rob is a tough job for anyone, so I'm not gonna hold it against him. We sent them out to go have a car crash of a match and judging by the amount of broken chairs and splintered tables the crew had to take out afterwards, they delivered on that.

- We tried to protect young Chris Chetti in his match, because he's clearly not all the way ready yet. Even with that, Diamond probably came out the better, since it was the first time ECW fans could really start to buy into his Grizzled Veteran gimmick and he got to show off his technical skills a little.