Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Mafia Capo: Payback General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Super Star

I will be following along. Definitely has peeked my interest.
Unread 11-30-2018, 08:18 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
A chance to play as Meyer Lansky? Where do I sign up?
Scum
Unread 11-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Major League

Well I've got my eyes on this!
Unread 12-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Minor League

To Derek.
Unread 12-07-2018, 04:11 AM

Hey Derek,

I have a couple ideas you can add if you can figure out a way for it to work.

I think having a rat inside your crime family, mob, etc., would be cool feature. And maybe having to figure out who that person is at some point or risk getting busted/arrested/killed, etc., would be another layer to that feature.

Also, having a feature where maybe someone in your ranks tries to whack you, like a disgruntled goon or muscle. Maybe there could be a feature that allows you to intimidate your "employees" to try and scare them into not trying any of these shenanigans. And maybe there could be a way to monitor morale/behavior/personalities, etc.

I'm obviously just spitballing here, but I think something like that would be a nice wrinkle if there's a way to actually translate it to the text-based format.
Unread 12-09-2018, 12:23 PM
All Star

Definitely sounds interesting. Although I am a bit hesitant until I see a final product. I do recall you hyping a Racing Simulator here on GDS that never came to fruition. Although it did seem to release on Steam in an 'early release' format that seems to have been forgotten about. I'm certainly not trying to be rude, but you seem to make games based on screenshots and the "wow" factor of features. I'm not sure how much goes into the actual programming or AI of your games, or if you hide the problems with a beautiful design.
Unread 12-09-2018, 01:27 PM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRodzen View Post
I'm not sure how much goes into the actual programming or AI of your games, or if you hide the problems with a beautiful design.
I plan on including very solid balance and design on this one, that much I can say, along with a nice design. The two can co-exist.
Unread 12-15-2018, 03:36 AM

Wow, reading the description and seeing the screen shots, it's like I already own this game.

It's called Streets of Chaos and it's on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/346320/
Unread 12-15-2018, 08:07 AM
GDS Developer

Nope, very different in terms of design, approach and the way goals are accomplished. SOC was too simplistic, where this game will be much deeper in strategies and ways of doing things. This game will (hopefully) correct all the issues that game had, and look a lot better too. Also, this game doesn't have HQ points, attack/defense type stuff. In this game guys gain experience, gain levels, age and retire over time, can get injured and it tracks jail time; you don't just lose them instantly if they go to jail, all things not present in SOC. Recruiting will have more choices, there's more types of crimes to commit, and businesses will be much deeper in terms of what you can do (you can even set up legit businesses, not even possible in SOC).

Also, SOC was removed from Steam at my request and is no longer able to be purchased.

The portraits will probably be changed too, as well. Using them for now so that something is there. I'll be asking someone from our great GD community to help me get new portraits done.

Last edited by Derek DiBenedetto : 12-15-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Unread 12-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Wow, no wonder it looks very familiar - I didn't realize you were the developer of the other game.

Since that's the case - I've a couple requests for you to consider - as there were a couple things that really killed my enjoyment in the Streets of Chaos.

1 - Every crime shouldn't be a life sentence. I noticed you mentioned the feature of being able to break them out in the new game - but having your guys do low risk petty things and ending up with Life sentences was crazy.

2 - Random events are cool - until you end up with out of the blue, thug x dies due to sickness. Then repeat that same random event a few more times over the next few turns, and you're left with little to no crew and any progress you had is gone by nothing more than having advanced the game (since no decisions made were able to address the sickness or avoid it or even know what the hell it was).

The above two items in the original game involved no strategy, and happened so frequently that when I played the game it seemed more like trying to appease the random number generator gods than it was based on any real strategy.

It really killed my enjoyment on what seemed like a very cool concept. If you can correct that or find a way to better balance it - then I'd definitely be interested as just about everything else with the game was enjoyable.
Unread 12-15-2018, 02:31 PM
GDS Developer

Yep, that was me who developed that game, and yes, this game will correct both of those issues and add an extra layer of cool stuff on top. No more repeated sudden random deaths (and random events can be shut off altogether if desired) and no more life sentences for petty crimes.
Unread 12-15-2018, 04:49 PM

This sounds great!
I have been looking all over for a good Mafia game!
Unread Today, 12:43 AM
Super Star

Nice, sounds interesting, lets hope it will be good, this is something i will likely buy.