Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Mafia Capo: Payback General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-20-2019, 08:14 AM
GDS Developer

Lightbulb Dev Diary #10: Turn Engine begun!

Hey all,
Just a quick update: The main screen buttons and such are finished and working, and all seems to be good. I've now started on the 'Turn' engine and processing your commands, paying contracts, advancing time, etc.

There will be 12 'months' or 'turns' in a game year, and each year contracts for your lawyers, judge bribes, and crew salaries get deducted. Street parameters may or may not change as well.

Each turn, the action or crime you select will be processed and the results displayed in a 'book'. The commands will stay the same each turn unless you change them, so if you're sticking with the same thing, you won't have to reclick everything every turn.

More to come very soon as I finish this up!
Unread 05-18-2019, 11:06 AM
GDS Developer

Working on this again after a hiatus. My current RPG project finished up. Sorry for the break, but now my intent is to focus on this until I get it up and going decently well.

- I added a function that displays the lawyer on the main screen under the icon toolbar if you hire one, along with his yearly salary.
- Changed out the popup graphic for giving orders to something slicker.
- Changed out some music in the game to fit the theme better.

More screens and updates coming very shortly!

Last edited by Derek DiBenedetto : 05-18-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Unread 05-22-2019, 11:39 AM
GDS Developer

Continuing onward with functions that happen once a game year, and knocking them out. One of the things about Mafia Capo is that nothing stays the same forever. The game world is changing constantly, and you have to adjust.

The tasks finished include:

- Your crew increasing stats -- and possibly salary -- depending on their age and development curve. This will be displayed each year so that you can see their progress.

- The street themselves: Their economic climate and police presence can change each game year, so you have to keep a close eye on things.

- Payment of lawyers/judges/crew: Gotta keep your guys paid!

- Judges/lawyers can retire, pass away or whatever and be replaced. Rare, but it can happen.

All of these are finished and verified working. Onward!
Unread 07-02-2019, 07:40 AM
All Star

I hope this will be like an Adam Ryland game, where the universe is endless, and you can play for as long as you want.
Unread 07-02-2019, 08:09 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16NJD16 View Post
I hope this will be like an Adam Ryland game, where the universe is endless, and you can play for as long as you want.
Yep, there will be an endless sandbox mode where you just play until you decide to stop, or set various game goals to win the game. A fair degree of moddability and flexibility is what many like in Adam's game, and as a Grey Dog game, definitely will be considered and included.
Unread 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Low Minors

I hope monetary amounts will be realistic. As in, you pay your guys realistic sums and not "units of gold" or "units of cash" or something like that.

I playtested a board game about political campaigns where $1 was chosen to represent $1 million. It drove me crazy. I could not get the designer to understand how absurd it looked to raise $5 in campaign contributions and then spend $1 mil to campaign for a month in Ohio. Why not just call it $1 million!
Unread 07-03-2019, 08:25 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
I hope monetary amounts will be realistic. As in, you pay your guys realistic sums and not "units of gold" or "units of cash" or something like that.
I playtested a board game about political campaigns where $1 was chosen to represent $1 million. It drove me crazy. I could not get the designer to understand how absurd it looked to raise $5 in campaign contributions and then spend $1 mil to campaign for a month in Ohio. Why not just call it $1 million!
Abstraction can work on some levels, but yes, this game will have fairly realistic money levels (hundreds, thousands and tens of thousands of dollars mostly).
Unread 07-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Low Minors

On some levels, certainly, but in my opinion the best games are those that draw you into an alternate reality and allow you to pretend you are there. Having $1 represent $1 million is just silly.
Unread 07-16-2019, 08:11 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
On some levels, certainly, but in my opinion the best games are those that draw you into an alternate reality and allow you to pretend you are there. Having $1 represent $1 million is just silly.
Yes, that is a rather strange abstraction and nothing I would ever do.