Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Major League

Default The USPW Thread

So who out there is running USPW? Seems like everything's coming up aces for the little company that could. They're shedding their rep as a retirement home for '80s and '90s stars, they've got some brand new, top-tier talent, the women's division is taking off but its cornerstone is on the shelf with an injury, and they've got their own network and millions of dollars in the bank. What's not to like?
Unread 05-02-2016, 12:56 AM
All Star

Somehow, quite a bit. Despite all of that, I'm finding that USPW still loses nearly every national battle, and with the new system, more often than before -- starting behind both TCW and SWF in star power.

I'll admit it: Adam nailed the general concepts for the C-Verse, but some of the details missed the mark, and that is most evident in USPW.

The company is perfectly set up to own a developmental company and utilize all the new features, especially with SWF the lone company with developmental, and how they ended up behind gutted TCW has to be an oversight.

I'm sorry, USPW was my baby in '13 and I love them.
Unread 05-02-2016, 01:03 AM
All Star

As far as a start:
1) build Nicky enough to beat out SWF or TCW. You need to focus on not falling to cult right away.
2) Hire Kholklov for a few months, and see who you can poach.
2) I'd go personally with Money vs. Nicky for the first PPV. I'd have Justice, Enygma and Frehley all go over on PPV and TV.
3) I've always booked Frehley as a tweener -- same as either heel or face -- I imagine him similar to Ron Simmons.
4) Start a Developmental territory and invest in developmental T.V.
5) Slow build Alicia Strong as your "company figurehead".
Unread 05-02-2016, 01:06 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowYourEnemy View Post
Somehow, quite a bit. Despite all of that, I'm finding that USPW still loses nearly every national battle, and with the new system, more often than before -- starting behind both TCW and SWF in star power.
If you sign Khoklov you should win the national battle, no?

And also you can upgrade the announce team substantially with Peter Michaels or Tommy London available
Unread 05-02-2016, 03:55 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronullet View Post
If you sign Khoklov you should win the national battle, no?

And also you can upgrade the announce team substantially with Peter Michaels or Tommy London available
The front-runner shouldn't be losing national battles -- especially if that could be achieved by tweaking Nicky Champion's or Steve Frehley's stats, or for that statement, going on a hiring spree out of the gate.

...and the same can be said for TCW or SWF.
Unread 05-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Low Minors

Yeah, i detailed it a bit in one of the other threads but USPW has all the tools to be successful if the player is booking them, but will fall to cult quickly if the player is booking another company. You almost certainly need to sign Khoklov, because his star quality and overness makes him an invaluable asset to the roster, not to mention it fits with USPW's land of giants philosophy. I think Peter Michaels is a no-brainer to sign also, he is much better than Danny Jillefski (doesnt look right but i dont have the game in front of me so apologies) and has more experience with McQueen at the desk. I also signed Vilbert as a heel authority and signed a few young guys who are potential stars in the future (fro sure, Greg Gauge etc). The last thing worth mentioning is that the starting feuds are somewhat weak in my opinion, obviously Champion and Frehley work fine, but Baine and T-Rex Vs The Force doesnt have legs or ratings in it, Rich Money Vs Chris Caulfield is an absolute waste of Money as Caulfield simply isn't on his level. Enygma, James Justice and Jumbo Jackson also start with no feuds, so maybe adding either Justice or Engyma to help The Force and pairing the other with Jackson in a separate feud may be the best course of action. Overall I cant wait to play long term with them though, seems to be more fun than booking the other 2, although i do have somewhat of a soft spot for SWF.
Unread 05-02-2016, 05:59 AM
Super Star

Quote:
5) Slow build Alicia Strong as your "company figurehead".
You can't build Alicia as your figurehead unless you make the product integrated and push her so hard that she'll end up with main event pop. Only main eventers can be figureheads.

I started a game with USPW and hired Marat Khoklov right away in order to win the national battle in the US. TCW lost the battle and dropped to cult on the first day of February.

I finished the Champion vs. Frehley feud as well as the Money vs. Caulfield feud after the February PPV and started Champion (who went over Frehley for the belt) vs. Money and it's running excellent so far. They can cut A/A* promos on each other left and right so this feud is money (pun intended).

I also stole Skull DeBones from SWF and he'll debut in March. Not sure what to do with him yet, but I'll find something for him. The most important thing for me was to hurt the SWF's star power by snapping him up.

What I found hard is to maintain B+ popularity in the US. So far, I haven't been able to book shows that graded better than a B.

I started my own broadcaster and gave the international markets some free-to-air coverage. With so much money available, you don't have to worry too much about the costs of setting this up and by pushing a third foreign area, you'll eventually rise to international.

Unlike in 2013, I've had fun booking USPW so far and I might continue this game for a while.
Unread 05-02-2016, 04:14 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingster View Post
You can't build Alicia as your figurehead unless you make the product integrated and push her so hard that she'll end up with main event pop. Only main eventers can be figureheads.
Has that been in tested in 2016? I know it's true in '13. Either way, you can still have a women's division/women's title, just set the product to integrated. I doubt it because Alicia took ~year to build in '16.

Another question: If Alicia is pushed to [main event] popularity, will it count towards national battle.

The USPW women's division has equivalent entertainment/star quality to the normal wrestlers and far superior in-ring skills. Raven Robinson is actually the rosters' best worker (barring time decline) and her star quality, etc. are without peer in the company. Raven/Alicia can carry the company with a feud.
Unread 05-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Super Star

I know in 13, I changed their product to 40% matches on TV & PPV (or maybe 40% TV, 50% PPV) so that they didn't fall to cult when being run by the AI.

Any such fixes possible in 16?
Unread 05-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Phenom

Location: Helpless people on subway trains scream bug-eyed as He looks in on them

USPW isn't my favorite company to play ("Family friendly? No thanks!") but I'm really enjoying the challenge of not falling to Cult in TEW 2016. My instinct was to grab a B show and have my charismatic stars gain popularity through dominating wins. Aha, but rather fiendishly, Champion, Enygma, Law, Money and Frehley won't wrestle on B shows. So there's that.
Unread 05-03-2016, 03:40 AM
Low Minors

I've made some ballsy decisions so far in my new USPW game. Enjoying the full game thoroughly now, it means my long term plans will actually get followed through and I'm always going to be working towards something.
Signings: Roger Cage-developmental

Kirk Jameson- Developmental (he isnt improving his skills, just working down there until some other members of the roster settle in)

Hell's Bouncer- My most important young signing so far. I put him with Frehley in a bodyguard/managerial role, have him beating down Champion, whilst winning matches against the lower card on TV. He gets regular comments from fellow workers teling me to push him to the moon! And he's thriving in a main event role, and building overness nicely.

Marat Khoklov- As i've said in other places before, its a no brainer. Primed to be the next contender now the belt is back on Champion. Currently feuding with Enygma, and they are pulling surprisingly good grades.

Peter Michaels: another must sign. Has experience with McQueen, has a better skill set than jillefski.

Greg Black: Sign him in most games because he's always dependable somewhere in the midcard. Now i have a B show, i felt like i needed more workers like him. I put him with The Force in his feud Vs The Titans, and i had them win! (Baine is 10 years past his best in my game, didn't worry about putting him in main event feuds anymore) Black and The Force are now a permanent team and will feud with the Cold Warriors for the titles, which they'll probably win because Novak is always on the 'roids.

Sara Marie York: Very good women's worker, feud eventually with Alicia Strong would be money. Currently working a 3 way program with Gorgon and Melody.
Unread 05-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Super Star

Quote:

I'll admit it: Adam nailed the general concepts for the C-Verse, but some of the details missed the mark, and that is most evident in USPW.
Yeah. I think USPW is the only company that this applies to. The game database just doesn't mesh with the actual game mechanics. The story of the game is that USPW had a great two years and overtook the world. So why are they third in National Battles, and why do they fall to cult? It doesn't make sense.
Unread 05-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Star

I'm having no problem with USPW but I am running annual events every day broadcast on subscription and changed the match ratio to 40%.
Unread 05-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Major League

Well, I finally settled on making USPW my first big game. I made a few pre-game tweaks: Frehley, Money and Champion all got their Popularity set to the low 90s. And I make USPW the owner of Reverie, since the owner of USPW also owns that network.

A few weeks in, and we're still shaking things up. I opened up a developmental company and raided talent to fill it up with trainers and trainees.

I kept the starting storylines, though Khoklov got hired and will be added to the Frehley/Champion feud so I can spin Champion off away from a belt feud and give Frehley time to be a monster with it. Money is going to mow Caulfield over, and Law will overcome Shaffer. Money and Law have a date at our July PPV, when they have their first big singles match since both men left the company more than a decade ago. The plan is for Law to win on his way up to a feud with Frehley. It's now or never for Law, so let's see if he can go.

I had to suspend Petr Novak for steroids, so I ran a storyline that the Cold Warriors were deported due to visa issues, vacating the tag team titles and setting up a tournament that allows me to introduce some new workers and some new teams.
Unread 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCycle View Post
Yeah. I think USPW is the only company that this applies to. The game database just doesn't mesh with the actual game mechanics. The story of the game is that USPW had a great two years and overtook the world. So why are they third in National Battles, and why do they fall to cult? It doesn't make sense.
Honestly, if you want a simple fix just switch Justice and Baine's starting pop and they're close to if not better than Total.

Another thing: If Allen Packer owns Reverie and USPW, then USPW should have "ownership" level access to reverie by proxy -- they're run by the same person, so it should count as "USPW"'s network -- this would allow Adam to implement new developmental territories features and USPW has several workers (notably Killer Kass and Julius Moor) who scream developmental products.

BCG is another name I'd throw in the ring -- they've won 2 of 3 most improved companies and are still pretty much fielding the same pop as before. You could simply put GCG as the 2015 winner (they had a much better year) and the narrative would make sense.

Overall, Adam did a terrific job, and conceptually has drawn others into the series. I think the 2016 database is far superior to '13 overall, just rough around the edges.