Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 07/08/2010 > Total Extreme Wrestling 07/08/2010 Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Low Minors

Default TEW in Linux (Tutorial)

This tutorial is in dire need of an update. I went through and tried to see what was the bare minimum you need to make this work in the current version of Wine. This was tested in Wine version 1.3.19, not the stable 1.2 branch.

So onto the tutorial.

First, the requirements:

Any x86 version of Linux (meaning a version of Linux running on Intel or AMD processors, including Intel Macs)
Wine (http://www.winehq.org or from your package manager)
Winetricks

There is a full guide to Winetricks here, but I'll try to cover the necessary parts for getting TEW to run.

Now let's run through the steps.

1. Open up your terminal. It should start in your home folder. Just to make sure, run this command:
Code:
cd ~/
2. Make a separate directory for your TEW (Optional, but recommended if you already use your .wine directory and don't want to risk messing it up):
Code:
mkdir .tew-wine
If you do this, remember to use this command before continuing:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=~/.tew-wine
NOTE: You can name it whatever you want.

3. Download Winetricks:
Code:
wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
NOTE: If you're using Ubuntu and have added the Wine repository, Winetricks is automatically installed when you install Wine.

4. Run the following Winetricks commands.
Code:
sh winetricks ie6
Code:
sh winetricks vb6run
Code:
sh winetricks jet40
NOTE: If you have Winetricks installed via your package manager, you shouldn't use "sh" in the above commands.

5. At this point, you're almost done. Run the install program:
Code:
wine TEW2010setup.exe
NOTE: This assumes the installer is in your home folder. Use the exact path if it is in another directory.

6. After it's done installing, you're set to run it.
Code:
wine "C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2010\TEW2010.exe"
7. This is optional, but recommended for ease of use ONLY if you followed Step 2. You can create a small script that will allow you to launch TEW without needing to use the WINEPREFIX or the terminal. First create a plain text file, then open it in your favorite text editor and paste this:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

cd
wine "c:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2010\TEW2010.exe"
Save the file. Then right click the file and select Properties, go to the Permissions tab, and click "Is Executable." At this point, you should be able to double click the file and TEW should launch.

Known Issues:
Sometimes TEW will crash with a message that it needs a dll or ocx file. Some such files may not be properly installed when installing TEW. One solution to this is to copy/paste the files off of a Windows install that has TEW on it. If that's not available, then you can try this.

Download Universal Extractor. For ease of use, just get the binary package. This program works well in Wine. Start it up and point it toward the TEW installer, and click OK. After it determines the type of installer, select "Wise Installer /x switch" and hit OK. This will dump all the files from the installer, including the files you need, into the target directory. Then you can just copy the needed files into the Windows/system32 directory of the Wine install you use for TEW.

Last edited by Lucied : 08-24-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Refining the guide
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:15 PM
All Star

I'm curious...

I just purchased my mac so this is all new to me. Does this work with a standard macbook pro?
Unread 12-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
I'm curious...

I just purchased my mac so this is all new to me. Does this work with a standard macbook pro?
I responded to your PM.

But just to get this out in the public thread, I have no idea. I don't use a Mac or have access to one. I'm not familiar with Mac, so I don't know if it will work.

There is a page on the Wine website for using Wine on Mac. http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX I do not know if Winetricks will work on Mac, though.
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Low Minors

I updated the tutorial. I added a line which fixes how text in certain screens is rendered. The added line is:
Code:
sh winetricks native_oleaut32
Don't forget to use the WINEPREFIX line if you used a separate Wine directory.

If you're having problems with text looking like this (screen from TEW2010), then that will solve your problem.

Also, as you may be able to tell from the screenshot, TEW2010 works perfectly with this method. However, as is the same with Windows users, you must have a copy of Excel to make use of the spreadsheet feature.
Unread 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Low Minors

TEW2008 and 2010 both quit for me when I'm playing. I get the following message. I've followed both guides to the word.

Error picture
Unread 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesushat902 View Post
TEW2008 and 2010 both quit for me when I'm playing. I get the following message. I've followed both guides to the word.

Error picture
See this line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucied View Post
The last line fixes a font rendering problem on certain TEW screens. NOTE: Setting it to use the native oleaut32 file seems to cause some instability with both TEW2008 and TEW2010.
I answered this for you in a PM, but for everyone else, I'll explain it here.

Go to your terminal and enter winecfg. That will get you to the Wine settings. Go to the Libraries tab, highlight oleaut32, click Edit, and change it to "Builtin then Native."
Unread 02-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Super Star

Hey, I have TEW07 installed on windows. If I uninstall windows and install Ubuntu, and then install TEW07 again through WINE, would I be able to enter the same elicense or would I need a new one?
Unread 02-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Savant View Post
Hey, I have TEW07 installed on windows. If I uninstall windows and install Ubuntu, and then install TEW07 again through WINE, would I be able to enter the same elicense or would I need a new one?
You must unlicense your version on Windows first. The method to do that should be in one of the FAQs on these forums.
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Super Star

Thanks!
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Super Star

Default How I hooped myself and how you can help!

Ok so I followed the instructions on here but kind of messed it up.

I'm using TEW2007 and Ubuntu 8.4.

So I entered in all the commands (except for the one to fix the screwy text), including the making of the new directory, up until I got to the point where I was trying to run the installer.

I (rightly or wrongly) entered:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.tew-wine wine TEW2007setup.exe

which got me the message:

bash: export: `TEW2007setup.exe': not a valid identifier

to which I said. Hrmmm. And made a disapproving face. So I decided to heck with the the alternate directory and entered:

wine TEW2007setup.exe

And it worked! After a restart I saw it in my Applications>Wine>Programs. So I clicked on it and it asked me for an elicence. I unlicenced my 2007 on windows and entered it into my Ubuntu one. It worked! Everything's great! So I try to play the game and it says at the bottom of my screen:

Starting TEW2007

Which is what I want it to do but then it disappears with nothingness taking it's place which is not what I want it to do. So a restart and the same thing. So I think, "Hey! Maybe I should reinstall the winetricks but without the 'export WINEPREFIX=~/.tew-wine' part as I said 'to heck with the alternate directory'!" and I install them all (including the one to fix the screwy text for some reason) (the ie one was kinda weird and didn't return me to my command line prompt but I think it worked) and then try to play the game. Same thing. Damn. Ok no problem I'll try it in the terminal, I enter:

wine "C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\TEW2007.exe"

And I get a wall of text.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00000000).
Register dump:

and then it goes on for quite some time. Something about modules. Things are deferred. I don't know. I can supply the full text if it's helpful. But basically this is where I'm at:

A) What did I do wrong? There's a lot of possibilities.

B) Is it fixable? I hope so...

C) Even if it's not fixable does anyone know how to unlicence the game from the linux terminal?

Thank you for your kindness and understanding in these tough times.

Last edited by Rick Savant : 03-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Low Minors

Well, let's go through this piece by piece.
Quote:
I (rightly or wrongly) entered:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.tew-wine wine TEW2007setup.exe

which got me the message:

bash: export: `TEW2007setup.exe': not a valid identifier
I guess maybe I was a little too vague. When I said "enter this line" I meant type the WINEPREFIX line, hit Enter, and then type the next command. So it would be:

Code:
wine TEW2007setup.exe
Two lines.

Quote:
Which is what I want it to do but then it disappears with nothingness taking it's place which is not what I want it to do. So a restart and the same thing. So I think, "Hey! Maybe I should reinstall the winetricks but without the 'export WINEPREFIX=~/.tew-wine' part as I said 'to heck with the alternate directory'!" and I install them all (including the one to fix the screwy text for some reason) (the ie one was kinda weird and didn't return me to my command line prompt but I think it worked) and then try to play the game. Same thing. Damn. Ok no problem I'll try it in the terminal, I enter:

wine "C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\TEW2007.exe"

And I get a wall of text.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00000000).
Register dump:

and then it goes on for quite some time. Something about modules. Things are deferred. I don't know. I can supply the full text if it's helpful. But basically this is where I'm at:

A) What did I do wrong? There's a lot of possibilities.

B) Is it fixable? I hope so...
I'm not sure...

What version of Wine are you using? Do "wine --version" (without quotes) in your terminal. That should give you the version. If it replies 0.9.59, it may be your outdated version. Follow the instructions on this page to get the most recent Wine for Ubuntu: http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

After that, you might want to delete your Wine directory (unless you have stuff in there that you want saved) and start over. The other directory option in the tutorial is mainly there for people who already use Wine for other stuff, and don't want to risk the Winetricks things messing it up.

It very well could be your Wine version. Also note that the line to fix the font sizes, as I put in bold text, can cause TEW to be unstable. But since it acted this way both with and without, I don't think that's what's causing this particular incident.

It might also be missing files that you may have to copy over, but I wouldn't know without the full error text. But try upgrading your Wine version (if it's still the 0.9.x series) and see if that works first.

Quote:
C) Even if it's not fixable does anyone know how to unlicence the game from the linux terminal?

Thank you for your kindness and understanding in these tough times.
Unlicensing the game in Linux is the same as in Windows. You just have to use the Wine command along with the normal command.

Code:
wine "C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\TEW2007.exe" -unlicense
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Super Star

You are a super human. Thank you very much.

My wine version appears to be 1.0 (according to wine --version) so what I'll do is delete it and start from scratch with the two lines.

Thanks again!

BREAKING NEWS:

The unlicence didn't work and I suspise that the reason it didn't work might be the reason the game doesn't work: When I type in

it says "wine: cannot find 'C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\TEW2007.exe'" and I say "That''s weird." and go into my C:/ in wine. There I see Program Files and Windows folders, and in Program Files I see Common Files and Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, and the thing I notice about all of these folders is that none of them are GDS or TEW2007 or really anything that actually has the game in it. But it does appear in my menu under Applications>Wine>Programs>TEW2007.

So is it possible that I somehow installed it somewhere stranger and more obscure? Or is it hidden for some reason? Or is it not actually installed at all? Any suggestions at all would be massively helpful, thanks!

Last edited by Rick Savant : 03-15-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
You are a super human. Thank you very much.

My wine version appears to be 1.0 (according to wine --version) so what I'll do is delete it and start from scratch with the two lines.

Thanks again!

BREAKING NEWS:

The unlicence didn't work and I suspise that the reason it didn't work might be the reason the game doesn't work: When I type in

it says "wine: cannot find 'C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\TEW2007.exe'" and I say "That''s weird." and go into my C:/ in wine. There I see Program Files and Windows folders, and in Program Files I see Common Files and Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, and the thing I notice about all of these folders is that none of them are GDS or TEW2007 or really anything that actually has the game in it. But it does appear in my menu under Applications>Wine>Programs>TEW2007.

So is it possible that I somehow installed it somewhere stranger and more obscure? Or is it hidden for some reason? Or is it not actually installed at all? Any suggestions at all would be massively helpful, thanks!
If you deleted your .wine directory before that, then it would be deleted. The menu items don't get removed if you just delete the entire directory like that.

You should be able to install it again. I don't know if eLicense will complain.

But to check if you did install it somewhere else, go into a menu editor and see where the menu shortcut points.
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Super Star

I didn't delete the directory yet so that's just the way it was installed... I followed your suggestion by going System>Preferences>Main Menu and got this:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/felix/.tew-wine" wine "C:\PROG~FBU\GDS\TEW2007\UNWISE.EXE" /W1 "C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\INSTALL.LOG"

So I think that means that it should be installed in C:\program files but I can't find it there...
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
I didn't delete the directory yet so that's just the way it was installed... I followed your suggestion by going System>Preferences>Main Menu and got this:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/felix/.tew-wine" wine "C:\PROG~FBU\GDS\TEW2007\UNWISE.EXE" /W1 "C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\INSTALL.LOG"

So I think that means that it should be installed in C:\program files but I can't find it there...
Well I guess it must be installed in the /home/felix/.tew-wine/drive_c/Program Files/ directory, given the existence of the WINEPREFIX.

(For future reference, "env WINEPREFIX" has to be on the same line as the Wine command, while "export WINEPREFIX" has to be on its own line.)

So if you were to enter this:
Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/felix/.tew-wine" wine "C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW2007\TEW2007.exe" -unlicense
You should be able to unlicense. Assuming you haven't deleted that directory, either.