Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > World of Mixed Martial Arts 1/2/3 > World of Mixed Martial Arts 1/2/3 Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Default Recent game data has disappeared.

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered already. I've looked through the FAQ and read before posting and couldn't see anything regarding this.

I've just logged on to wmma3 and part of my recent data is missing.

All of my fighters histories have omitted the previous 2-3 fights, thought their current momentum, title etc is showing as it should be.

My next 6 events I've booked are showing to have no fights, yet the events and title of the events are showing.

I only played the game yesterday and have had no issue with my laptop. I saved the game as normal and closed it as normal. I'm currently running windows 7.

Hope you can help
Unread 09-27-2017, 01:06 PM

I'm using version 1.1
Unread 09-27-2017, 01:40 PM
GDS Developer

It sounds like you have forgotten to put yourself in admin mode, or, you are in admin mode now but weren't before. To recap, you must always be in admin mode or you will end up with two separate versions of the same data which can cause "ghosting" where data can end up being from way into the past or disappearing entirely.
Unread 09-27-2017, 04:34 PM

OK - is there a quick way to fix this? I'm a bit of a dummy.
Unread 09-27-2017, 04:47 PM

I've tried running the game as admin and nothing changes. Not sure how I can select it to not run as admin
Unread 09-28-2017, 02:33 AM
GDS Developer

First you would need to confirm what your previous status was - were you not in admin at all? Were you occasionally in admin mode? Do you not know? I'd need that information before I could advise you further.
Unread 09-28-2017, 01:32 PM

I'm unsure if you mean my computer profile or the game. My computer profile is in admin role.

As for the game I'm unsure of whether it was being run as administrator or not, do you know how I could find that out?

I tried running it as administrator but nothing changed. When you run it as administrator it does not tell you whether it was previously in administrator mode.

Thanks
Unread 09-28-2017, 01:48 PM

Not sure if it helps but i've been playing WMMA3 since in Feb 2017 and this is my first save. I've never had an issue with it since then.

Yesterday before playing I did select another program to run as administrator. Not sure if that could have affected it.
Unread 09-29-2017, 03:00 AM
GDS Developer

No, using your computer as the admin and playing the game in admin mode are two entirely separate things. If you haven't specifically chosen to run the game in admin mode then you almost certainly haven't been. There is no way of knowing for sure as it isn't recorded anywhere, but everything you've described so far is exactly what would be expected from having been in the wrong mode, data being messed up and in two different "times" simultaneously is classic admin mode related damage.

Please see the opening paragraph of the FAQ for information on it and how to put yourself in the correct mode permanently.

No, I'm not sure why it would suddenly have changed, it could be that using a different program in admin mode as you said you did could have impacted it somehow, although that would be unusual.

The following is from the TEW2016 FAQ on how to find your non-admin mode files and put them in the right place - it'll work for WMMA too, just change the folder names used accordingly. This is really the only thing I can suggest to try and get your data back to the way it was, although if you've been playing in non-admin mode all this time then I'm really not sure how many problems it will have created. You should give it a go and report back.

Quote:
I was running the game outside of admin mode and now can't find my save games...

You will need to 'rescue' your save games from non-admin mode in order for them to work. The following method can be used (quoted from a user post):

You should be in admin mode all the time, but you should be able to move the save files from their current location in order to keep using them. Assuming you are using Windows 7, the files should be stored in a hidden folder called appdata. If you don't have hidden folders displayed, then appdata can be found by typing "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData" into the Windows Explorer taskbar (or in your start menu), substituting USERNAME for, well, your username! Once in appdata, you should be able to find your save files by going into "Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GDS\TEW2016\Databases\DATABASE NAME".

Copy the save folders from that location to your default GDS directory (within Program Files) and they should work perfectly. If you are struggling to locate the files within AppData, then another option would be to search the AppData folder for "TEW2016.mdb" (minus quotations). Once the results appear right-click on one of them and click Open File Location from the drop-down menu.
Unread 09-30-2017, 05:46 AM

Thanks for your detailed response.

I've followed the steps you've advised but the Virtual Store folder is completely empty. I've tried searching the folder for WMMA3 and World of Mixed Martial Arts 3 but nothing is showing up.
Unread 09-30-2017, 06:16 AM

I've had a look in my game folder under program files and I appear to have 3 sets of saves.

When I click in the name of the saved game there are one set of save files there. It also contains two folders one named 'backup' and another named 'temp'.
Unread 09-30-2017, 06:30 AM
GDS Developer

If the Virtual Store folder is empty then that indicates that you've never been in admin mode. I'm not sure why the game would suddenly "ghost" to two separate dates if you've never switched modes, but I would imagine it has to be because of when you used the other app you mentioned in admin mode.

The only thing you can try now is to manually apply the Backup. You do this by copying all the files within the Backup folder and then going "up one level" (i.e. you'd be going from WMMA3 \ Databases \ DBName \ SaveGames \ SaveName \ Backup to WMMA3 \ Databases \ DBName \ SaveGames \ SaveName) and pasting them there, replacing everything.

I'm not sure if this will work in your case, but it is the only possible solution you have left. If it does not work, I'm afraid there's nothing further you can do and you'll need to start a new game (making sure that you're permanently in admin mode - again, to underline, you should never be using this game outside of admin mode).
Unread 09-30-2017, 07:18 AM

Greats news. It's worked. I followed what you said and copy and pasted the back up 'up on level'.

Thanks for your help. I've been on this save since February and I'm in 2006. I'd have been gutted to lose it.