Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 08-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Skywalker1976's Avatar
Skywalker1976 Skywalker1976 is offline
Minor League
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 307
Default Have you been beaten by the AI?

I was wondering who has been beaten or at least seriously challenged by the AI in single games. In which games and circumstances have you lost against AI companies or could not overtake them?

I love the game but lately feel that I need to help with house rules or even take control of AI companies (e.g. make sure the right workers get hired) in order to feel challenged. Sometimes I feel that if you follow certain strategies you will rarely be really challenged and can easily beat the AI in most games.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 08-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Jaysin's Avatar
Jaysin Jaysin is offline
Living Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kent, Ohio
Posts: 5,758
Default

USPW in my current SWF game is super predator like. The second my contracts come up they're outbidding me. I have to offer outrageous contracts to keep my people. Luckily I'm making enough money to counteract it, but it's making it take forever to save up to buy a broadcaster.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 08-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Jon The GOAT's Avatar
Jon The GOAT Jon The GOAT is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker1976 View Post
I was wondering who has been beaten or at least seriously challenged by the AI in single games. In which games and circumstances have you lost against AI companies or could not overtake them?

I love the game but lately feel that I need to help with house rules or even take control of AI companies (e.g. make sure the right workers get hired) in order to feel challenged. Sometimes I feel that if you follow certain strategies you will rarely be really challenged and can easily beat the AI in most games.
Once you figure out how the game works, its EXTREMELY easy to game it, I feel like for the most part you have to go out of you way to not game / to play realistic if you don't want it become real easy mode. Marat Khoklov is an easy example of this. To win any of the starting national battles, all you have to do is sign Marat Khoklov. AI should be smart enough to know that they'll get shoved to cult if they let the UC take Khoklov but they won't bother challenging. Buddy Garner too, if you're in Japan.

That is all to say, I 100% agree with you that you have to set house rules and deliberately avoid things that are a bit too game-y.

I feel somewhat challenged in my RTG game, a company popped up that is regional and is getting C- in ratings to my E+ so I'm losing the regional battles and struggling to grow more than .1% per month (tanked industry/economy helps). But this is mostly because I'm not really going out of my way to sign guys that would carry me (Spencer Spade/Scythe are available right now, as an example, and would probably propel me past C- without much trouble if I sacrificed a handful of the 100$ contracts I have because I like 8 match cards), and its not like I'm losing pop or money. So it's mostly just slowing me down and they're pretty much bound to go bankrupt.

The game's a bit too sandboxy for it to ever be a big challenge imo (this isn't to criticize those who do struggle, but I'm sure you'll find it to be that way too when you get to know enough of the mechanics).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 08-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Zero's Avatar
Zero Zero is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,364
Default

I hate being at war with WCW. They will outbid me on almost every worker. I sign all my talent to long term deals when I can (and will edit their contract instead of releasing them when I get rid of them).

But WCW is brutal and New Japan is near impossible to compete with in a pure match contest. I lose national battles all the time to WCW and NJPW.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 08-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Matt_Black Matt_Black is offline
Minor League
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 348
Default

This happens to me a lot. When I run AAA or QAW and hit Cult (which is a lot easier to do with the latter than the former) and then try to sign someone to a written, there's a good chance USPW will swoop in. "Dude, you guys don't even use the women you do have that much!" (Theoretically, NOTBPW would do this do, but I've figured out how to reliably take them out of the equation every single time). Same deal with OLLIE and SOTBPW.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 08-13-2018, 03:50 AM
NewZealandfan's Avatar
NewZealandfan NewZealandfan is offline
Low Minors
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 110
Default

ECW is the only challenge I've still haven't been able to go to the next level without completely moving it away from what it is supposed to be it's almost impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 08-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Skywalker1976's Avatar
Skywalker1976 Skywalker1976 is offline
Minor League
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon The GOAT View Post
Once you figure out how the game works, its EXTREMELY easy to game it, I feel like for the most part you have to go out of you way to not game / to play realistic if you don't want it become real easy mode. Marat Khoklov is an easy example of this. To win any of the starting national battles, all you have to do is sign Marat Khoklov. AI should be smart enough to know that they'll get shoved to cult if they let the UC take Khoklov but they won't bother challenging. Buddy Garner too, if you're in Japan.
That is basically how I feel, if on the same level I think once you know how the game works you will always outplay the AI (and I do not even consider myself a master of the game, I just follow a few ground rules)

Now don't get me wrong I would not want to play a game which I would fail at everytime but I would like the AI to challenge me a bit more. Also to create more situations like the Monday Night Wars, in which a competitor (WCW) all of a sudden overtakes you - I personally have not seen it. For me the most challenging situations are workers getting injured or backstage problems or when I give myself house rules.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 08-13-2018, 05:12 PM
D16NJD16's Avatar
D16NJD16 D16NJD16 is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,654
Default

Never. The game is very deep, but extremely easy for a veteran player.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 08-14-2018, 03:06 AM
Skywalker1976's Avatar
Skywalker1976 Skywalker1976 is offline
Minor League
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16NJD16 View Post
Never. The game is very deep, but extremely easy for a veteran player.
I wonder what could be done to make the AI more competetive without having to rewrite the programme. I have noticed that the AI seems very slow in building momentun and popularity for their workers. Most workers in AI feds really only go up or down in momentum 1 or 2 points if at all. In my mind this is a huge disadvantage as it seems building popularity for human players moves much quicker.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 08-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Nobby_McDonald Nobby_McDonald is offline
Living Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Staffordshire, England
Posts: 6,195
Default

In this game, I'm slowly grinding my way up to WWE.

In Football Manager, I'm often beaten by the AI.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 08-16-2018, 07:23 PM
Zero's Avatar
Zero Zero is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker1976 View Post
I wonder what could be done to make the AI more competetive without having to rewrite the programme. I have noticed that the AI seems very slow in building momentun and popularity for their workers. Most workers in AI feds really only go up or down in momentum 1 or 2 points if at all. In my mind this is a huge disadvantage as it seems building popularity for human players moves much quicker.
I would like to see the AI build superstars easier. Especially at the nationa level
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 08-16-2018, 07:43 PM
DAVEFAN95's Avatar
DAVEFAN95 DAVEFAN95 is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,321
Default

Personally, I think the reason it is easy at national level is that the national battles is very simple to manipulate. As Jon said, get Khoklov, you're Golden. I think ot should be changed and ages ago, I put a suggestion in how it could be changed for the better, it wasnt perfect but I think it simulated a battle better as well as making it a little more unpredictable.

At Regional level it can be hard, but only if you limit yourself. However, most times the big companies leave lower level guys go that you can sign without too much problems and make them top dog to carry you. Not sure if that could be stopped other than simply making former lower level national level guys only want to work for the top indy promotions or promotions that fit their style unless there are no other options. EG If Spade left, he'd might to NYCW cause it would accentuate his strengths more than CZCW. However, if lets say Gregory Grace left RAW, he would be okay with signing for DIW seems there are very little opportunities in the Aussie scene.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 08-18-2018, 05:32 PM
soxfan93's Avatar
soxfan93 soxfan93 is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: A small town in NH (USA)
Posts: 2,428
Default

I think that, technically, we've all been beaten by the AI in one sense or another, whether it be the most infuriating one for me, the ability to re-sign freelance workers, or something else entirely. There are some things the AI can do that we can't.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Tterrag Tterrag is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEFAN95 View Post
Personally, I think the reason it is easy at national level is that the national battles is very simple to manipulate. As Jon said, get Khoklov, you're Golden.
Old, but the thing with Khoklov is he's old, expensive, and even when not in time decline he is completely worthless in the ring. So those off-set the star power; you're stuck with a millstone around your neck, winning the national battle or not.

I haven't been beaten as in like, outright losing NBs or being driven out of business yet, but I have noticed the AI running better shows than I can and getting workers more over faster. Like PGHW getting constant A shows with two or three A matches in my observer game vs. me hardly ever breaking B+, or NOTBPW getting Brooke Tyler to C popularity within a couple months of the start and always getting at least one A-ranked match. It'd be nice to be able to see what they're doing in more detail rather than just a list of segments. I think they're doing better than me business-wise too, as I'm barely turning a profit and often coming out of months at a loss.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 08-28-2018, 08:09 PM
Jon The GOAT's Avatar
Jon The GOAT Jon The GOAT is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tterrag View Post
Old, but the thing with Khoklov is he's old, expensive, and even when not in time decline he is completely worthless in the ring. So those off-set the star power; you're stuck with a millstone around your neck, winning the national battle or not.

I haven't been beaten as in like, outright losing NBs or being driven out of business yet, but I have noticed the AI running better shows than I can and getting workers more over faster. Like PGHW getting constant A shows with two or three A matches in my observer game vs. me hardly ever breaking B+, or NOTBPW getting Brooke Tyler to C popularity within a couple months of the start and always getting at least one A-ranked match. It'd be nice to be able to see what they're doing in more detail rather than just a list of segments. I think they're doing better than me business-wise too, as I'm barely turning a profit and often coming out of months at a loss.
Wholly disagree. I had Khoklov killing it in my TCW game, and even if he'd be on TD and the millstone you claim he is, he gives you enough breath and space to build up the long term guys into being star powers by the time you no longer need him (you could totally go with a year long contract). And this is TCW, the place where, next to NOTBPW, he should the most useless. That's not considering the amount of versatile roles a guy like Khoklov can have, being a bodyguard, being used in the manner of Strowman or Lesnar (unbelievable physical feats), being paired up with a better performer as a tag team. Khoklov is amazing. I'd be shocked if you can't make great use of him.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.