Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Bowl Bound General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-01-2015, 06:04 AM
Low Minors

Default Player conversions

I am not sure if I have done a post on this yet, but if I have not, here we go.

Everyone has noticed that players have, as part of their attributes, an adaptability* rating. That is the rating that determines how well a player is at playing out of position, meaning how adaptable they are. For example, an OG with an adaptability rating of 90 could be put into the Center spot, or a big HB with adaptability of 90 could go in the FB spot. But another thing that adaptability can be used for is player conversion. You do this in training camp, where you can outright move a player to a different position (Wr to CB, for instance). I will list some of these that I have come across and explain how I got them to work.

* higher adaptability, the better

RUNNING BACKS

there are three types of players I'd convert to runningbacks, in order of preference- linebackers, tight ends, and fullbacks

For linebackers, when you recruit them, look at their high school stat sheet, if you see rushing yards as well as defensive stats, these are the best ones to convert because they have at least learned to run the ball. Usually linebackers are big (over 210 or more lbs) and strong, so you'll end up with a big, maybe fast and instinctual power back. Strength is an under-appreciated attribute in running backs because it doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't plow some guys for short yardage or push a pile.

For tight ends (whom I rarely convert) it's usually the small stubby ones (6'2 225 or so) that I convert. a 6'7 260 lb RB just isn't feasible. But the thing with this is that these players may never develop to full potential. I had a TE once, 240 lb man, converted him, he did play well, got big yardage but he never developed past 2.5/4. He just stayed there for two years. He was very good, but he never became great.

Fullbacks I rarely ever convert because most of them are just too damn slow. But if you can find a fast, undersized one, maybe without the greatest run blocking. use him.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Wide receivers in this game are on average small. Not too many of them crack the 200 lb mark. For anyone who knows the college game, a staple of a lot of offense is the big 220 lb type receiver blocking on the perimeter. So what do you do to remedy this? Get a tight end, duh. find some random 6'4 220-235 lb tight end and convert him. Now, they won't always be the fastest or jump the highest but they can more make up for that with their body size as they can fight for the ball.

Now, once I did get some speedy tight end who was 6'2 225 by the name of Mike Hull and he developed into 5 caliber talent and I threw 25 yard curls to him all the time and it was fun. But that might not happen all the time, so a big physical outside receiver with low jumping skills is still good, though.

LINEMEN-

The only way I usually do this is to go from OL to DL, not the other way around. If I am trying to do an internal position change (like from guard to center) I just slide the guard into the center spot rather than change his position totally.

For some reason in this game, though, defensive linemen are not that strong or big. You can recruit some low class lineman and he will come into the program with average 50 55 strength and good hands. Linemen on average weigh over 300 lbs even if they are short; but to find a DT over 300 lbs he either is crappy or rare high ranked talent. . So what I do is just turn an OL into a DL. I usually keep interior linemen on the interior (so an OG to a DT) and bookends on the ends (OT to DE, for length). What will happen is you get some big 330 lb lump of flesh to clog interior lanes, as well as him being strong, and the good thing is, you don't need the man to develop into a beast pass rusher or anything because you just want to clog holes.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

I really don't do anything with DBs except interchange them (e.g. converting a CB to FS or something). One thing I have done, though, is convert tiny linebackers to safeties and put them in the nickel or 5th safety spot. Take some tiny 6'2 225 linebacker and switch him.

Now, all that being said, the most important thing to do is develop them. Just because a player was 3/5 at another position doesn't mean he will automatically be 3/5 in the other one, esp. if he never played that other position before. If you have the luxury of doing so, then, redshirt them. that way they can grow and do not have to be thrown in immediately. Most times when you switch a position the ratings will be poor but the redshirt year allows them to grow. For example

OG 6'4 325 who is 3.5/5

switch to DT

DT 6'4 325 1/1

after a redshirt year

DT 6'4 330 3/4

But if you are desperate at a position, put them in to improve on the fly. You will take some lumps, though.
Unread 09-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Low Minors

Thanks for the write up. Good read and knowledge to have

I ever really tried to move positions a lot but definitely going to look at it
Unread 09-01-2015, 11:54 AM
GDS Developer

Great observations, stickied
Unread 11-05-2015, 09:14 AM

I really appreciate all of your guides. Regarding these conversions...

I don't know that I ever considered moving OL to DL, it might be because they show that 1/1 current/potential rating. It agrees with your example above, but within a year, he jumped way up.

How do we predict this? If we have a solid OL with good adaptability, are you likely to see a similar jump after a season? I may rely too much on that 1/1 prediction when doing the positin change, and it prevents me from taking a chance.
Unread 11-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Low Minors

precisely. High adaptability is the best predictor. that and strength. the 1/1 is just for the here and now to represent a player just moved to a position he never played before. It doesn't mean he will never improve once he learns the position.

this is why I say if at all possible when you convert give them a redshirt year to learn and grow
Unread 11-05-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1993 View Post
precisely. High adaptability is the best predictor. that and strength. the 1/1 is just for the here and now to represent a player just moved to a position he never played before. It doesn't mean he will never improve once he learns the position.

this is why I say if at all possible when you convert give them a redshirt year to learn and grow
That is really helpful. I did a test with an OT that had pretty good adaptability, but was sitting as my 4th or 5th best OT. He did the 1/1 thing and then was a 1/3 after a RS season. Of course I didn't save that, so we will see if that will happen again in my real season.

Thanks so much.
Unread 11-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Low Minors

since he was your 4th or 5th OT he probably wouldn't develop into any higher than 1/3 unless you had 5 blue chip players at OT

you can do it for TEs to WR FB, defensive backs, you can even make a bigger LB into a DE
Unread 11-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
since he was your 4th or 5th OT he probably wouldn't develop into any higher than 1/3 unless you had 5 blue chip players at OT

you can do it for TEs to WR FB, defensive backs, you can even make a bigger LB into a DE
I feel like this opens up a whole knew world for me in the game.
Unread 11-06-2015, 08:24 AM

Will you ever recruit heavily for a specific position that has lots of interest with the thought that you will convert someone? For example, you have a lot of LB interest, not much DE...so you grab as many high quality LBs you can, thinking about one being a DE on your team?
Unread 11-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Low Minors

Yep, I do that quite a bit. and the other way around, also. Get some 6'3 250 2 star DE and make him into an OLB or ILB since no linebacker interest. You can do everything
Unread 12-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Probably my most common conversion is Mobile QB to RB. Many of my best RBs actually started as 1 or 2 star QBs that I never had any intention of playing at QB. You need to be careful on playing weight (going over and busting), hands (fumbles) and strength but I've had some really good success with this.
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Minor League

Just curious, any luck ever moving a player to QB (I don't even think that's an option thinking about it..but I'm in a desperate situation in a league..lol)
Unread 12-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Low Minors

I've done that sometimes, but mostly I only move RBs to LBs. Because, if you look in real life, a lot of high school teams that have top recruits on them have that guy playing RB and QB. So look at his adaptability and arm strength then give it a shot
Unread 06-19-2018, 02:55 AM

Quote:
I've done that sometimes, but mostly I only move RBs to LBs. Because, if you look in real life, a lot of high school teams that have top recruits on them have that guy playing RB and QB. So look at his adaptability and arm strength then give it a shot
Yeah, he has potential.