Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-11-2019, 03:31 AM
Phenom

Default The End?

Something I've been thinking about recently, due to the nature of this game... do you guys consider it to have an "end?"

Like, theoretically you could put every other company out of business after 700-year slog, or maybe you exclusively play Local-To-Global or Road-To-Glory saves which have a more definitive "goal" in mind... or maybe you're just happy playing until you don't enjoy your save any more?

Thought it'd be interesting to get different people's perspectives on this, let me know your opinion, and if it changes based on what type of save you're doing.

[A side question that occurred to me while previewing my post: can one's user character die, like everyone else in the game world? That would be a pretty clear end point...]
Unread 07-11-2019, 03:38 AM
Locker Room Leader :)

1. No, human controlled characters can't die... so you could be millions of years old in a watcher game in theory and see the rise and fall of generations of stars and empires.

2. There is no actual game end point... though you could turn worker generation and regeneration off which would eventually starve the game world for workers so companies would eventually struggle. But no technical end point.

3. As for personal end points.... I've noticed that even in long term games where I have plans for things, I tend to end up getting to natura pausing points where major story arcs have concluded. Those have frequently been game ending points for me, but they do also act as ideal points for jumping back in later on too.... as much as I like challenges like RtG, I tend to not stick to them quite so well as I have a personal difficulty getting from regional to national.... somewhere in the middle there I just tend to stall out.
Unread 07-11-2019, 04:00 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek B View Post
1. No, human controlled characters can't die... so you could be millions of years old in a watcher game in theory and see the rise and fall of generations of stars and empires.
Damn, I actually think that's kind of a shame. I can see why people wouldn't want Kenny deaths for the player character, but natural old-age deaths shouldn't bother too many people. After all, how many players either start a game as a 90-year-old, or play for 70 years?

Quote:
2. There is no actual game end point... though you could turn worker generation and regeneration off which would eventually starve the game world for workers so companies would eventually struggle. But no technical end point.
With gen and regen off, wouldn't the game world eventually only have the user character? That's definitely an end.

Quote:
3. As for personal end points.... I've noticed that even in long term games where I have plans for things, I tend to end up getting to natura pausing points where major story arcs have concluded. Those have frequently been game ending points for me, but they do also act as ideal points for jumping back in later on too.... as much as I like challenges like RtG, I tend to not stick to them quite so well as I have a personal difficulty getting from regional to national.... somewhere in the middle there I just tend to stall out.
Yeah, I can imagine a lot of WWF/E saves end at Wrestlemania, for example. You spend so long building your stories, it's only natural to feel a little like you've finished when they end. What is it about the jump from regional to national you struggle with? I've never really made that jump, so I don't know what it entails.
Unread 07-11-2019, 04:37 AM
Locker Room Leader :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBEZA View Post
Yeah, I can imagine a lot of WWF/E saves end at Wrestlemania, for example. You spend so long building your stories, it's only natural to feel a little like you've finished when they end. What is it about the jump from regional to national you struggle with? I've never really made that jump, so I don't know what it entails.
It's a combination of things that reflect on me as much as TEW. Between regional and national there is a lot of ground to cover. When playing as smaller companies I am mentally prepared to lose workers and to build up new stars... when playing as larger companies I am mentally prepared for fighting wiht major companies but more often than not winning those fights (unless I'm not the owner) which I find fun. That middle ground kinda just doesn't work for me. So combine that with it being the stage I have to play at the most ANd having a habit of playing only for a few years before I decide to try something new and it's become an area that becomes a natural end point for me a lot. Many of my games have gone from Local to Cult OR from Cult to National+.... but it's been a long time since I've done anything that has spanned regional to national.

But I have some epic ideas for a game I want to play in TEW2020 depending on how the Cornellverse shakes out. That game should easily run 10+ years and see me go from the bottom to at least Cult, if not higher. Can't wait until I get the chance to play it.
Unread 07-11-2019, 04:42 AM
Phenom

Quote:
But I have some epic ideas for a game I want to play in TEW2020 depending on how the Cornellverse shakes out. That game should easily run 10+ years and see me go from the bottom to at least Cult, if not higher. Can't wait until I get the chance to play it.
This is the main thing I've been getting from the developer diary: "ooh, I could use that feature in a save where I do this..."

Already have my first twenty saves on it planned out!
Unread 07-11-2019, 05:50 AM
All Star

Quote:
It's a combination of things that reflect on me as much as TEW. Between regional and national there is a lot of ground to cover. When playing as smaller companies I am mentally prepared to lose workers and to build up new stars... when playing as larger companies I am mentally prepared for fighting wiht major companies but more often than not winning those fights (unless I'm not the owner) which I find fun. That middle ground kinda just doesn't work for me. So combine that with it being the stage I have to play at the most ANd having a habit of playing only for a few years before I decide to try something new and it's become an area that becomes a natural end point for me a lot. Many of my games have gone from Local to Cult OR from Cult to National+.... but it's been a long time since I've done anything that has spanned regional to national.

I can do Small to Global with MAW but it takes some tweaking the COTT to accomplish it. I always invite as many companies as possible from day one. I make it a 'consortium' alliance where companies will be pulled up financially by the other companies. This basically allows me to book however I want without worrying about financials. For the first year I ran the monthly events. Year two and three I ran 24 events. After 3.5 years (July 2019), I started to run a small weekly event to go along with the bigger monthly event. That August I took over an Australian company (DIW) and absorbed their popularity. I had to tweak the broadcaster to allow us to get on Australia Options. We started to run Tri State and South East to go along with the Mid Atlantic region, while showing the events on PPV in Australia to keep up with the popularity I had stolen.

By 2021, I was on East Coast Today. In April of 2023 I took over GCG and disbanded them, absorbing all of their popularity and even continuing their TV show "Stars of The Golden Canvas" with the TV deals they had in place. I ended up switching to a bunch of their events due to prestige. Its June 2027 as of now and MAW is now AWA. The AWA Network is in full force and we have $366 million in the bank. I've contemplated shutting down our subscription network and going with a standard commercial network. Money isn't really a concern and shutting down a $145 million network to start another one isn't a huge deal when you have twice that on hand.

What blows my mind is I can't wrap my head around using a RW mod with WWE but I always create my own WWE within the CVerse. A massive organization that has multiple developmental companies. Speaking of that, BHOTWG was going out of business and I saved them - they are our second developmental company. Although, I'm letting them run as a child company and not developmental, so they can continue to do what they want, I'll just absorb the losses or the gains.
Unread 07-11-2019, 05:59 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRodzen View Post
-snip-
Wow, that's quite the story! What is your end point for said MAW save? I'm guessing you've carried on after reaching Global, so what's the point where you'll stop?
Unread 07-11-2019, 06:19 AM
All Star

Quote:
Wow, that's quite the story! What is your end point for said MAW save? I'm guessing you've carried on after reaching Global, so what's the point where you'll stop?
Richard Eisen is 72 years old and still running SWF. They are the #4 company in the United States. They've been a mess for years now and I'm curious to see if they can make it back to where they once were. Or to see what happens when Jerry or Eric takes over. I've even contemplated leaving my company when he retires in an attempt to take control of SWF and fix them.
Unread 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Richard Eisen is 72 years old and still running SWF. They are the #4 company in the United States. They've been a mess for years now and I'm curious to see if they can make it back to where they once were. Or to see what happens when Jerry or Eric takes over. I've even contemplated leaving my company when he retires in an attempt to take control of SWF and fix them.
So, no end point in sight? Will you just play until you don't enjoy it any more?
Unread 07-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
It's one thing I'm keen to see the community take and embrace with TEW2020. Save sharing and the ability to create databases from saves means that you could do and so could others.

Such a cool option.
Unread 07-11-2019, 07:14 AM
All Star

Quote:
So, no end point in sight? Will you just play until you don't enjoy it any more?
Not really any ending point. I'd say I'm riding this save until TEW2020 comes out, just to see what happens in the game world. I've come to realize that one of the ways to really enjoy the game now is to turn a lot of the settings up high. I've done that with injuries and deaths, which I usually play with those settings turned down. I also decided to have a 'dirty doctor' backstage for years and basically got my roster addicted and made them progress quicker. Sally Anne was a whistleblower just two years ago in the game because of the drug use backstage and we lost out on a ton of sponsorship and merchandise money while that blew over. Prestige and momentum took a massive hit, but I found that rose back up fairly quickly. We had literally just started the AWA Network, which was extremely lucky because no broadcaster would touch us and all of our deals were running up within 3 months.

She had about 15 people with tension, dislike, or hatred directly after she did that. I kept her around and tried meddling some relationships around until I decided to ship her down to developmental to train people. I figured if I fired her, she'd start a wrongful termination lawsuit against me and most definitely win. So she's still employed but she's a trainer and has no contact with the main roster.

Basically, I've done a ton of stuff to this save I would never do in any other save. Mostly to keep it fresh and see what type of wrenches get thrown at me. Its made it really fun to switch out workers when you have a slew of guys in rehab, a few suspended, and a few on the shelf due to injury. It definitely makes the game more interesting because you can't "stick to your guns". It forces you to play differently and at this stage of TEW2016, while we wait for TEW2020, its one of the only ways I can make the game entertaining.
Unread 07-11-2019, 07:38 AM
Phenom

That's fair enough, then! I must admit, as much as I love planning stuff out (I have my main event scene for the next 18 months mapped out for my new WCW diary already, and I'm not a week in yet! ), I do really enjoy a good ol' spanner in the works, like an injury, death, etc!

One I distinctly remember is I did an ECW revival save, and Bill Alfonso died only a few months in. He was my only ref at the time, and he died like two days before a show, so other than hiring local, I was screwed. I decided, in the end, to use Shane Douglas, Taz, Sabu and Rob Van Dam as the referees as a sort of "tribute" show, that then became an annual tradition where I held a memorial tournament with all matches refereed by those 4 men, who were most closely associated with his career, especially in ECW.

That whole show concept wouldn't have come about but for the game screwing me over a couple of days before a show.
Unread 07-11-2019, 07:47 AM
All Star

Quote:
That's fair enough, then! I must admit, as much as I love planning stuff out (I have my main event scene for the next 18 months mapped out for my new WCW diary already, and I'm not a week in yet! ), I do really enjoy a good ol' spanner in the works, like an injury, death, etc!

One I distinctly remember is I did an ECW revival save, and Bill Alfonso died only a few months in. He was my only ref at the time, and he died like two days before a show, so other than hiring local, I was screwed. I decided, in the end, to use Shane Douglas, Taz, Sabu and Rob Van Dam as the referees as a sort of "tribute" show, that then became an annual tradition where I held a memorial tournament with all matches refereed by those 4 men, who were most closely associated with his career, especially in ECW.

That whole show concept wouldn't have come about but for the game screwing me over a couple of days before a show.
That is pretty nifty how you worked out that problem. That seems like something that would happen to me. Something crazy happening right before a show.

This same save, I hired Jack Bruce in May 2019 after he had a scandal. He was caught mocking the disabled. SWF fired him and he was a company cancer for two years. I had changed MAW's product to be more risque, so I played it up that our company reputation was the perfect place for him to be. His popularity was around 70 and he agreed to sign with us because he had no options and hadn't worked in a year since the scandal happened.

I ended up using him as a special attraction. After awhile, when I realized we were gaining steam and could potentially have a TV deal and grow the company, I made him loyal to MAW so that nobody could steal him. My reasoning for that is we were the only company willing to take a chance on him and give him a second shot after he royally screwed himself. I was able to justify it in that regard so I did it. He passed away in February 2025 at the age of 52 though. Not an accident or drug related from what I could tell. Just his time to go I guess.
Unread 07-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Phenom

Quote:
This same save, I hired Jack Bruce in May 2019 after he had a scandal. He was caught mocking the disabled. SWF fired him and he was a company cancer for two years. I had changed MAW's product to be more risque, so I played it up that our company reputation was the perfect place for him to be.
I take it he was some sort of mega heel who picked on disabled fans so the babyface could make the heroic save?
Unread 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Super Star

The load times would be so massive that you'd probably reach 100 years old before the game does.