Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Rookie

So I got up early here in the states to watch Dominion live, seeing as how New Japan doesn't give those in other countries enough time to watch the replay before they blurt out the results.

Overall a very good show. Main Event fell flat tho, personally I just wasn't feeling Okada/Jericho.

Im just curious as to where New Japan is going now as everything just seems a mess. Okada looks to have no one fresh lined up, it looks like Jay White is in line for a title match and I am just not interested.

I was upset that Osprey beat Shingo, but if it was ment as a way to move Shingo into the heavyweight division I am ok with it. But, Osprey didn't need to win the Jr. Heavyweight title. Hiromu is very close to being back and if Dragon Lee was still champion that story would have wrote itself.

For the most part tho, I am just really curious in the game plan the rest of the year for New Japan, The G1 tournament looks promising, but the released cards for the Australian shows coming up are cringe worthy at best.
Unread 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
Im just curious as to where New Japan is going now as everything just seems a mess. Okada looks to have no one fresh lined up, it looks like Jay White is in line for a title match and I am just not interested.
This is the time of year when the title goes on the backburner and all the focus is on the G1, so he doesn't really need to have challengers lined up yet.

I liked Dominion, but wasn't really a fan of Ibushi/Naito. I haven't enjoyed any of their matches against each other this year. Those two are extremely reckless when working together, and I get so worried about their health that I can't get caught up in enjoying the match.
Unread 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Countdown View Post
This is the time of year when the title goes on the backburner and all the focus is on the G1, so he doesn't really need to have challengers lined up yet.

I liked Dominion, but wasn't really a fan of Ibushi/Naito. I haven't enjoyed any of their matches against each other this year. Those two are extremely reckless when working together, and I get so worried about their health that I can't get caught up in enjoying the match.
The G-1s entire purpose is to create credible matchups for the IWGP title, elevate Jr. HWs into the HW scene, and set up the top programs all the way through to New Years. So, that's why the Jericho finish is fine, and I like what they did if they use Jericho to run in and cost Tanahashi early so he has to work as little as possible.
Unread 06-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Rookie

Moxley, KENTA, Shingo, Ospreay all in the G1. Talk about stacked.
Unread 06-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Living Legend

According to Wikipedia, Jericho and Lance Hoyt/Archer are in as well. Couldn’t care less about Lance, but Jericho should provide some decent match ups.

I really want to see Moxley vs Minoru Suzuki real bad. Hope that happens in G1.
Unread 06-15-2019, 05:22 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
According to Wikipedia, Jericho and Lance Hoyt/Archer are in as well. Couldn’t care less about Lance, but Jericho should provide some decent match ups.

I really want to see Moxley vs Minoru Suzuki real bad. Hope that happens in G1.
Jericho teased the idea of being in, but I'm skeptical about it actually happening. If he was going to be in I think they would've plugged him as appearing on Night 1 in Dallas, like they've done with most of the major stars already.
Unread 06-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Countdown View Post
Jericho teased the idea of being in, but I'm skeptical about it actually happening. If he was going to be in I think they would've plugged him as appearing on Night 1 in Dallas, like they've done with most of the major stars already.
I think Jericho is trying to get in because he wants to cross the G-1 off his bucket list, because this will likely be the last time he'll have the schedule room. I don't think NJPW want him in because they have a lot of mouths to feed already in this G-1 and protecting Jericho to a satisfactory level would be a nightmare. That's just my read though.
Unread 06-16-2019, 06:06 AM
Rookie

A Block:

Okada
ZSJ
Tana
Ibushi
Evil
SANADA
Fale
Archer
Ospreay
KENTA

B Block:

Naito
Ishii
Juice
Yano
Goto
Switchblade
Cobb
Shingo
Taichi
MOX
Unread 06-16-2019, 04:44 PM
Minor League

Pretty stocked imo...
Unread 06-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
A Block:

Okada
ZSJ
Tana
Ibushi
Evil
SANADA
Fale
Archer
Ospreay
KENTA

B Block:

Naito
Ishii
Juice
Yano
Goto
Switchblade
Cobb
Shingo
Taichi
MOX
Replace Taichi with Suzuki and B Block would be awesome. Fale and Archer drag A Block down pretty bad, but other than those three G1 should be a blast this year.
Unread 06-16-2019, 07:57 PM
Rookie

Extremely upset there is no Suzuki.

Lots of fun matches lined up, I am a big fan of Jeff Cobb and I hope they let him have a decent showing.

Yano and Archer look to be the eaters of pins in their respective blocks, unless they actually give Archer a decent showing then the eater of pins will go to Fale.

I will throw my eggs into the Ibushi basket this year. He seems like the most logical choice to go against Okada at Wrestle Kingdom. It's time for Kota to shine in my opinion.
Unread 06-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Replace Taichi with Suzuki and B Block would be awesome. Fale and Archer drag A Block down pretty bad, but other than those three G1 should be a blast this year.
Tama and Suzuki might be tied up with the ROH/NJPW/NWA/CMLL Summer Supercard. You need guys like Fale, Archer and Yano for short matches and to absorb losses.
Unread 06-16-2019, 10:50 PM
All Star

Give me Okada vs. Kenta all damn day!
Unread 06-17-2019, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Suzuki promises hell to pay for not being in the G1
Unread 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Locker Room Leader :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
A Block:

Okada
ZSJ
Tana
Ibushi
Evil
SANADA
Fale
Archer
Ospreay
KENTA

B Block:

Naito
Ishii
Juice
Yano
Goto
Switchblade
Cobb
Shingo
Taichi
MOX
Tournament definitely looks stacked this year, they've been bringing in some talented guys to fill in the gaps that have been made and they've even managed to switch things up.

It's great to see YOSHI-HASHI and Yujiro Takahashi NOT in the tournament this year, they've been deadweight the last couple of years and I argued vociferously about YOSHI-HASHI's inclusion last year. I'm glad they are rebuliding him by keeping him out of the tournament to see if he has what it takes to really belong there.

The loss of Kenny Omega to AEW was inevitable, but the non inclusion of Minoru Suzuki surprised me as he just never stops being awesome. I am guessing he's feeling his age a little and will be resting up a little during the tournament, which is probably for the best. In kayfabe, they still have Archer, ZSJ and Taichi in to represent Suzuki-Gun at least.

There are some potentially AMAZING matches set up with these blocks too, which excites me a lot.

Block A

Ibushi vs anyone
Tana vs Okada
Ospreay vs Ibushi in particular
KENTA vs Okada

Those all stand out to me and I feel like Ibushi is being groomed here to win the block, probably dropping matche to the likes of Tana (who beat him in the final last year), KENTA and maybe ZSJ for rematches before he heads on to Wrestle Kingdom

Block B

Naito vs Shingo, immediately I can't wait to see how this match goes. Could have huge long term LIJ implications if Naito were to lose and Shingo is awesome.
MOX vs Ishii, if this is less than stellar, I'd be ery disappointed in MOX
Taichi vs Yano, because it will be one of the most fun matches of the tournament
Juice vs Switchblade, due to their history against each other
Ishii vs Goto, cos they are amazing
Goto vs Cobb, which should be an amazzing hossfight
Ishii vs Cobb, boss hosses!

I find it really hard to predict a winner here. In the one hand, I feel like Naito is the obviously choice for the block and he will tear it up as he always does for sure. But Goto is one of my favourites, and with CHAOS mixing back into the home team ranks I feel like Goto could step up and step out here as a top guy who has been overlooked for too long. That said... with NJPW so clearly building a new star in Switchblade, I find it hard to not pick him as one of the favourites.

I'm looking for Taichi and Yano in particular to make this group amazingly unpredictably by losing matches they should win and winning matches they should lose. That chaos will make this block close and I could see 5 or 6 people still in with a shot at winning with a couple of matches to go.

In order to avoid another match between Ibushi and Naito in the finals after their series of hellacious matches so far this year, I think I'm going to predict blocks to be won by Ibushi and Switchblade... with Ibushi picking up the win overall.

I'm probably going to be very, very wrong.