Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-31-2018, 01:14 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukess11 View Post
I love collecting the DC Showcase and Marvel Essentials. I personally love the old school Avengers just because they were an amazing cast of characters filled with romance.
Right there with you on the Showcases and the Essentials. Love those classic reprints. It really feels like comics were better in the days they were targeted primarily at children. I've tried dabbling in modern comics from time to time. But between the expense and the harder, grittier tone, I always find myself going back to earlier times. But then I was also a sheltered kid and my introduction to most of the great superheroes was in kid friendly programming like Adam West's Batman series. Spiderman battling Conk and Bonk on The Electric Company. Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno as The Hulk.

And it's not like there weren't grown up elements snuck in during the Showcase/ Essential era. Stuff like Professor X's attachment to Jean Grey in the pre-Claremont X-Men that would be considered extremely inappropriate in this #MeToo world. The would be homewrecker Mavis Trent not respecting the fact that Hawkman and Hawkgirl were married and trying to score Katar for herself. Sure you had cars being turned into ice cream and thieves stealing gems to power ridiculous rays that turned men into cheese. But kids weren't tiptoed around like they are today either. As innocent as a 60's comic might seem today, they are still times I marvel (pardon the pun) at things that were snuck past the censors.
Unread 08-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Living Legend

Anyone else reading Cosmic Ghost Rider?

Only two issues out so far, but I love it.
Unread 08-13-2018, 01:31 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Anyone else reading Cosmic Ghost Rider?

Only two issues out so far, but I love it.
I am a Donny Cates (Love Babyteeth, Thanos, and Venom) fan but I am not feeling Cosmic Ghost Rider at all. Granted I have not read the second issue and I did enjoy the character in Thanos so I might go read the next issue. I am not sure though.