Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Phenom

Default R.I.P Vader

Big Van Vader passed away.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...-63/ar-AAyUTC3
Unread 06-20-2018, 01:11 PM
All Star

Another hero from my child hood is gone.... A big guy that was well before his time.
Unread 06-20-2018, 02:18 PM
All Star

I was sad to hear the news, but it's not totally unexpected, given his recent health issues. May he rest in peace. He will be missed.
Unread 06-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Low Minors

One of the best ever, that's for sure. RIP Vader.
Unread 06-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Living Legend

Ah, that's sad news. I knew he'd had issues but I thought he was doing better. I had no idea he'd developed pneumonia.

Such a huge presence, such a defining character. He really changed the way big men were viewed in the US, I think, and was huge in Japan as well.
Unread 06-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Super Star

Sad to stumble across this news on Facebook this morning, been thinking a lot about it since. Whenever Vader comes across my mind, one of the first memories to come to mind was that night, way back in 1992 or so, some time around there, at a WCW TV taping I attended. There were these two jobbers, and they were wrestling... each other! I wasn't used to seeing jobbers wrestle each other, so I was like... what's up with this? I remember I'd barely finished making the joke, "Well, good news is... one of them's BOUND to win this time!" when... he was there. Vader, and.. I was proven wrong. Vader hit the ring, the two jobbers stopped fighting each other... and Vader went to work. Chokeslams and powerbombs, all around! Vader Time had come, once again, to my little corner of the world.

I wasn't the biggest Vader fan back then... I was a Little Stinger at the time... but still, I got a kick out of that.

It was a good time, and a pretty good memory, and Vader definitely became one of my all time favorites.

RIP.
Unread 06-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Super Star

RIP Vader, my prayers go out to his friends and family.
Unread 06-20-2018, 09:29 PM
Phenom

Even though I only mainly followed Vader in his time at wwf, he was of my favourite wrestlers. I think if he came earlier he may have just held the title. Followed him on Twitter for a few years aswell which was entertaining. RIP
Unread 06-20-2018, 11:34 PM
Living Legend

I was in my early teens when he began wrestling for WCW. I remember reading about this awesome monster of a guy who wrestled in Japan and was now coming to the states. The first time I saw him I remember being in awe at how good he was considering how big he was. Up until that point the only other wrestler I remember seeing that was around his size who was actually good was Bam Bam Bigelow. I was a fan right from the start.

I wish his WWF run could have been better because I think he deserved a better run there.

R.I.P.
Unread 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Living Legend

I don't remember if I'd seen Vader on TV first or not, but this image stuck with me:

It seems a bit cheesy now, but that's a downright awesome way of making him seem like an absolute monster!
Unread 06-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Rookie

Unread 06-21-2018, 09:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Vader is probably in my top three all time.

I echo a lot of things people said, and while they did draw me to Vader, what really made me fan was his look and his gimmick. To pull this off, Vader had to have a real mind for the business, and creative talent.

His great look and gear were and still are unique. He could really put himself over as a threat -- he played the unstoppable, uncontrollable monster without coming off too cheesy. This complimented Manager Harley Race, who really understood how to add to a match with his heel antics. I loved watching his run with Flair in '93 -- Vader had a swagger, bravado and the resume to go toe-to-toe with the Nature Boy.

It's a real shame he hit his prime when Wrestling was at a low point -- there were so many stars in that early-to-mid 90's period who, because of the reputation wrestling carried, never got their due.