Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-10-2018, 11:50 AM
Rookie

I am from Telangana.
I am amazed to see another Indian on this forum. I have never seen any Indian talking about any of the Grey Dog Software Games.

@Flame Snoopy Can we suggest any changes to any skill levels of any person with backing it up not just shouting it?
Unread 06-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Phenom

Sorry for the wait on this; had a few really busy weeks. "The Duke of Oakland" should be online later this week, and hopefully it's worth the wait!
Unread 06-28-2018, 04:42 PM
All Star

Sounds like a pretty good game opening idea, Comic Fighter. Kind of reminds me of one of the suspense flicks you'd see on Lifetime except for the male leads. Also strikes me as a spiritual prequel to my flick, Green Eyed Monster, from the last game.

The big thing I'd say to help you out with your story is I hope you have your story beats figured out already. Since you read through the last three runs of the game, I'm sure you've noticed there are always folks who start out to play and then fall by the wayside. The most common mistake those folks make is to post their proposal as soon as they have their pre-casting done. Only for the writing to overwhelm them because they have to chart the story's course and write it all in one big gulp.
Unread 06-28-2018, 04:44 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyboy View Post
Sounds like a pretty good game opening idea, Comic Fighter. Kind of reminds me of one of the suspense flicks you'd see on Lifetime except for the male leads. Also strikes me as a spiritual prequel to my flick, Green Eyed Monster, from the last game.

The big thing I'd say to help you out with your story is I hope you have your story beats figured out already. Since you read through the last three runs of the game, I'm sure you've noticed there are always folks who start out to play and then fall by the wayside. The most common mistake those folks make is to post their proposal as soon as they have their pre-casting done. Only for the writing to overwhelm them because they have to chart the story's course and write it all in one big gulp.
Speaking as someone who forgot the villain's evil scheme after a busy couple of weeks, I totally second this post. I have my movie half written and I forgot where I was going and need to go back to it.
Unread 06-29-2018, 06:13 PM

[quote=cappyboy;2297616]Sounds like a pretty good game opening idea, Comic Fighter. Kind of reminds me of one of the suspense flicks you'd see on Lifetime except for the male leads. Also strikes me as a spiritual prequel to my flick, Green Eyed Monster, from the last game.

How do you like my new idea, The Champ is Here
Unread 06-30-2018, 05:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I have found that my biggest obstacle to starting this game is I have more of the big bang ideas like action films, fantasy films and so on and much less for things like drama and such. That and you can't get into the big bang ideas unless you do well with your budget-friendly ideas. Budget is certainly a beyotch.
Unread 06-30-2018, 10:25 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath764 View Post
I have found that my biggest obstacle to starting this game is I have more of the big bang ideas like action films, fantasy films and so on and much less for things like drama and such. That and you can't get into the big bang ideas unless you do well with your budget-friendly ideas. Budget is certainly a beyotch.
I can see that too. Budget is one place where I see my lack of knowledge of today's A listers to actually be an advantage for me. Since I don't know my Cooper Bradleys from my Jay Laws, hiring stars I know something about and can relate to comes without the price tag that genres in your comfort zone would. I think that's also why you were seeing Russel do animated films like Madeline and Greenwater Amusements before he got banned. With voice actors, even top level talent like Tom Kenny and Tara Strong will come much cheaper than live action A listers. After all, it ultimately doesn't matter who played ParaNorman, who voiced Elsa in Frozen, or who did Riley and her emotions in Inside Out. As long as kids love the characters, the film will work.
Unread 06-30-2018, 11:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I can see that too. Budget is one place where I see my lack of knowledge of today's A listers to actually be an advantage for me. Since I don't know my Cooper Bradleys from my Jay Laws, hiring stars I know something about and can relate to comes without the price tag that genres in your comfort zone would. I think that's also why you were seeing Russel do animated films like Madeline and Greenwater Amusements before he got banned. With voice actors, even top level talent like Tom Kenny and Tara Strong will come much cheaper than live action A listers. After all, it ultimately doesn't matter who played ParaNorman, who voiced Elsa in Frozen, or who did Riley and her emotions in Inside Out. As long as kids love the characters, the film will work.
I can definitely agree that A-listers cost a boatload of money in real life. This game actually keeps that in check and is more "producer friendly" than hollywood simulation video game where an actual A-lister can cost like 20-30M to hire. My issue with budget is that all the things in my brain kinda takes a lot of budget to make. I am sure one can make budget movies with every genre, like The Raid: Redemption vs Fast & Furious, but my imagination tends to lean toward the F&F side on most parts.

Also, good point on animation films. I guess real life Hollywood doesn't really need to hire their A-listers to voice the characters anyway. Kids aren't going to check behind the curtain, that's for sure.
Unread 06-30-2018, 01:04 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath764 View Post
My issue with budget is that all the things in my brain kinda takes a lot of budget to make. I am sure one can make budget movies with every genre, like The Raid: Redemption vs Fast & Furious, but my imagination tends to lean toward the F&F side on most parts.
Another good reason to do animation if your story themes aren't too mature. It costs a lot less to draw stuff blowing up on a computer than it does to blow real stuff up. Not to mention that all your characters will happily do their own stunts. Your cast needn't care. They just have to give the characters a voice.
Unread 06-30-2018, 03:49 PM

sorry guys this is my final decision for my first flick i promise. wow finding a good first flick is difficult.

Titan Film's debut flick:
MOVIE DETAILS
› Title: The Hangout Project
› Genre: Horror
› Brief Summary Of The Plot: : A group of five friends who are uninvited by a popular student due to bullying in school plan revenge with a dose of humiliation and party crashing for fun. However, things take a turn for the worst when the party goers and the host are revealed to be violent, bloodthirsty mutants who stalk the five party crashers, hell bent on but satisfying themselves with guts and gore.
› Rating: : Rated R for intense strong violence/gore, sexuality/nudity, drug use, and pervasive language - all involving teens.
› Production Cost: Have yet to calculate
› Marketing Cost: "

TALENT CASTING
› Director: Thinking of who can tackle a project like this and succesfully take it in the direction we want them to... Offer to Adam Wingard

› Lead Role:

Damon Lerman- The main protagonist of the movie. He is a cocky, athletic 19 year old dude who enjoys playing guitar and hanging out with friends.
Offer to Josh Hutcherson, Tye Sheridan

Lead Role

Sean Davidson - The secondary main protagonist of the movie. He is a quiet, smart, but also not a very sociable 17 year old kid.
Offer to
Tom Holland, Timothee Chalamet

Major Role
Frank Dempsey - An average weight, lazy but funny 20 year old stoner who loves to hang out with Damon and his best friends while also studying houses.
Offer to Will Poulter, Rj Cyler

Major Role
Kendra Burgos - A hot, sassy, but charismatic 18 year old cheerleader in high school who is dating Bradley after breaking up with Damon.

Offer to Zendaya, Chole Grace Moretz

Major Role

Bradley Lawrence - A cocky, egotistical 21 year old college student who specializes in boxing and other combat skills (like Sean) and is one of Damon's best friends, dating Kendra.
Offer to Ansel Elgort

Minor Role
Elissa Santos - A queen bee who relishes looking down at the unpopular people, treating them with disrespect.
Offer to Olivia Cooke

This will be a found footage film

Last edited by ComicFighter : 07-02-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Unread 07-02-2018, 06:44 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicFighter View Post
would it be alright for me to just skip negotiations all together because i already have the cast for the film mapped out and chosen, and i already have the script for The Hangout ready to go as well, i promise this wont be a recurring issue.

The Cast
Josh Hutcherson as Damon Lerman
Tom Holland as Sean Davidson
Will Poulter as Frank Dempsey
Zendaya as Kendra Burgos
Ansel Elgort as Bradley Lawernce
Olivia Cooke as Elissa Santos
I'm sorry, dude. That dog won't hunt. If you do that, how are you going to be able to do your budgeting? You can't figure production and marketing budgets if you don't know what your talent costs are. Not to mention, can you really be sure these people will be interested in doing a horror movie or settling for the size of role you're offering. You gotta play the game as it's designed. You never know what curveballs may pop up in negotiation.
Unread 07-02-2018, 09:33 PM

Sorry to annoy you Cappyboy but i could get permission to enter the negation phase it's okay if you dont want to i can wait
Unread 07-03-2018, 05:08 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicFighter View Post
Sorry to annoy you Cappyboy but i could get permission to enter the negation phase it's okay if you dont want to i can wait
Please, read the rules man...

1. You don't need a permission to enter the Negotiation Phase...
2. As the Gamemaster FlameSnoopy handles negotiations, just look a couple of pages in the past.
3. Since you already offered the roles to actors, all you have to do is to wait for FlameSnoopy.
Unread 07-03-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
Please, read the rules man...

1. You don't need a permission to enter the Negotiation Phase...
2. As the Gamemaster FlameSnoopy handles negotiations, just look a couple of pages in the past.
3. Since you already offered the roles to actors, all you have to do is to wait for FlameSnoopy.
im sorry about being annoying i can wait for snoopy i was just clueless about the rules my fault
Unread 08-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Rookie

While we wait for it to continue or restart, if anybody is interested, they can join a similar game.

To not look like a jerk I have not posted link to it in the thread. If anybody is interested I will message them with Link.