Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Living Legend

JR wasn't that great the last few years of his run...Hell, he hasn't been that great since late 1990s/early 2000's. It got really old hearing him call moves by the wrong names on a regular basis. I'm not saying Cole and Company are any better, but I don't think JR is the answer. I wish they had kept Matt Striker or that they'd force Lawler to retire and have Regal move up to commentating the main roster.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Major League

But he understood important moments and added to the drama. I haven't watched for a while but there were several occasions when they would talk through the Wyatts' entrance, for example, and it completely killed the mood/aura. And I'd take JR miscalling moves but having some emotion to enhance the feel of the match over Cole miscalling moves and spouting bollocks, or bickering with JBL, while a match goes on underneath it.

I do agree about both Striker and Regal, though. Striker genuinely loves wrestling, I don't get that feeling from Cole at all.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Can you really blame them? Both Cole and JBL have been awesome in their own right on commentary but it was on Smackdown...the show that Vince has never cared about. Even today they are much better on SD than raw though half is because Lawler has been awful for 10 years and the other half is because that's not saying much
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:25 AM
All Star

On the subject of RAW I thought it was a three hour piece of garbage, nothing of value happened in it outside of maybe the closing segment but otherwise it was just awful. It may the worst episode of Monday Night RAW I have ever seen. As a wrestling fan I never regret sitting down and dedicating two or three hours of my time to a wrestling show but that changed last night because that RAW was beyond terrible.
Unread 08-06-2014, 02:46 AM
All Star

One of the dullest and worst RAW ever. The only thing I could save it's the Ambrose-Rollins feud.

I'm lucky I can watch the live RAW without commentary and fast forward a lot of segments. My personal commentary table could be Joey Styles, William Regal and Renee Young.
Unread 08-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Living Legend

I often wonder how much of it has to do with Vince yelling in their earpiece about what to say (I am not sure if he still does this or not.). I mean Vince was a pretty bad announcer and he is now telling others what to say. Plus they have to plug stupid crap like what is trending on Twitter. Just because something is trending on Twitter does not mean it is bringing in viewers, it just means your current viewers are talking about the product.

I don't even bother with the WWE. I will catch it during the commercials for whatever I am watching at the time, which is usually Teen Wolf (Hey don't judge it is a good show and plus we are wrestling fans so we should really not judge the viewing habits of others.) or Under the Dome, but I cannot remember the last time I have actually sat through an entire RAW.
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
I cannot remember the last time I have actually sat through an entire RAW.
Last night was the first full episode of RAW I have watched in maybe a year if not qutie a few months. I don't have cable so i used to watch RAW on Hulu but got rid of that about 3 months ago. Since then I haven't watched anything except WWE Network PPVs.

Last night I downloaded RAW and watched it. I actually enjoyed most of it. I think the build for Rollins vs Ambrose is great. Dean Ambrose is their next big face star. People like to say Roman Reigns is but Ambrose is connecting with the audience on an organic level which doesn't seem as forced as Roman.

Reigns vs Orton and eventually HHH is also a nice build. They have a jet back on Roman and are letting him move to the top of the card.

I thought the Lesnar vs Cena video was the best promotional video the WWE has done since the Miz's on Wrestlemania that one year. Excellent work as always by WWE production staff.

I even like the Swagger vs Rusev old school feel. Who would of thought Jack Swagger would get one of the bigger face pops?

I didn't even mind the Steph vs Bella build all though I thought it shouldn't of been the ending of RAW. I think that was rather dull.

Overall I feel like for the first time in a long time they are building more than just 2 or 3 matches for the PPV. When is the last time there was actually build for a PPV from top to bottom?

Cena vs Lesnar
Rollins vs Ambrose
Reigns vs Orton
Swagger vs Rusev
Steph vs Brie
Jericho vs Bray

I think people are just too emotionally invested into wrestling and get too critical over every little thing. I agree with the announcing being awful. Jim Ross brought emotion to the table. I love the Face Announcer/Heel Color combination. I feel like JBL, Lawler and Cole are all too buddy buddy. It's a sad day when I would take Heel Cole back.

And for all the haters...WWE just trolled the heck out of everyone with the $9.99 stuff. It was hilarious.
Unread 08-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabataged View Post
Cena vs Lesnar
Rollins vs Ambrose
Reigns vs Orton
Swagger vs Rusev
Steph vs Brie
Jericho vs Bray
AND AJ vs Paige.
Unread 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabataged View Post
I think people are just too emotionally invested into wrestling and get too critical over every little thing. I agree with the announcing being awful. Jim Ross brought emotion to the table. I love the Face Announcer/Heel Color combination. I feel like JBL, Lawler and Cole are all too buddy buddy. It's a sad day when I would take Heel Cole back.

And for all the haters...WWE just trolled the heck out of everyone with the $9.99 stuff. It was hilarious.
If you don't watch every week you don't get to see Cody/Goldust vs Rybaxel each week or Kane/Reigns every week so that makes a huge difference. The amount of repetitive booking is ridiculous. If two people are in a feud they are paired exclusively with each other every week because they dont think the audience can remember anything unless it is drilled into them with their "subtlety" hammer.
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
Hey don't judge it is a good show and plus we are wrestling fans so we should really not judge the viewing habits of others.

Unread 08-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Rookie

Apparently Alberto Del Rio was released, according to the WWE Facebook page
Unread 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_dbacks01 View Post
Apparently Alberto Del Rio was released, according to the WWE Facebook page
It's on the website too quoting "an altercation with an employee" and unprofessional conduct as the reasoning behind the release.
Unread 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Living Legend

I love how on WWE.com home page it says "WWE announced the release of Alberto Del Rio due to unprofessional conduct." and then there's a button that says "Full Story". Once you click it, all it says is "WWE announced the release of Alberto Del Rio due to unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee."

They didn't wish him best in his future endeavours, nor did they address him by his real name like they do when they release people. It seems odd.
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
I love how on WWE.com home page it says "WWE announced the release of Alberto Del Rio due to unprofessional conduct." and then there's a button that says "Full Story". Once you click it, all it says is "WWE announced the release of Alberto Del Rio due to unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee."

They didn't wish him best in his future endeavours, nor did they address him by his real name like they do when they release people. It seems odd.
Hmmm, Storyline maybe?
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post

Del Rio is one the best in-ring performers in WWE but his character is boring and his mic work is below average. A kayfabe firing followed by an "illegal" return where he shows up to beat the crap out of a popular babyface could make him interesting again.