Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-14-2019, 11:53 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullMETAL View Post
While I dig that Black Lightning's gonna be part of the Crisis crossover next month, I'm a bit apprehensive about that because BL has such a separation from the other shows and feels fairly "insular" compared to them, which do semi-frequently operate outside the scope of their core cities (Batwoman being in the previous crossover is why I include her in the latter rather than the former).

Like, just as a hypothetical, if Kasnia from Supergirl and Markovia from Black Lightning had just been merged to be the same country, that would've been an interesting thread to tie BL to at least Supergirl.
I could be wrong but I believe that, that is intentional. I think that BL and Supergirl are not in the same time stream (alternative earth's for lack of a better term) as Arrow and The Flash. I am not sure where LOT and Batwoman fit in. I would assume that LOT probably take place in the same universe as Arrow and Flash due to the Sarah connection. I have never watched Batwoman so I have no idea if her earth is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingRider View Post
Yeah...first episode of Mandalorian was great. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Jon Favreau stuff.

Any one else watching Watchmen? How about Wu Tang: An American Saga on Hulu?
I fell asleep while watching the first episode of the Watchmen and have not watched any of it yet. I am iffy about watching it though because from what I have heard it has a lot of far-left talking points in it and that is not something I want to see. I hate shows that try to preach a political agenda on either side of the coin. Like Jasin said, I might give it a shot when the season is over so I can judge for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Iíll probably check Watchmen out when the season is over.

Probably going to check out NOS4A2 after I finish Castle Rock. Anyone see either of those?

Also got Disney+, so probably going to watch Gargoyles and the 90s Marvel cartoons.
NOS4A2 was hit and miss with me. There were some great episodes and some dull ones. Overall I would say it was decent. I was shocked that the lead was not American (I can't remember if she is English or Australian) because she nailed the New England accent (I live in New England, in fact the show was filmed in my state.).
Unread 11-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Rookie

Just finished S2 of The End of the F*g World. No surprise the creators opted out of a season 3. The first 2 seasons combined are a masterpiece and I thought the ending was perfect. I love the characters and actors so much that I'll definitely miss it.
Unread 11-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
I fell asleep while watching the first episode of the Watchmen and have not watched any of it yet. I am iffy about watching it though because from what I have heard it has a lot of far-left talking points in it and that is not something I want to see. I hate shows that try to preach a political agenda on either side of the coin. Like Jasin said, I might give it a shot when the season is over so I can judge for myself.
You do know that Watchman itself was a leftist book, right? Alan Moore is an anarcho-communist who wrote Watchman to critique the Reagan administration the same way V for Vendetta was written to critique the Thatcher administration.
Unread 11-17-2019, 12:13 AM
Minor League

Quote:
I could be wrong but I believe that, that is intentional. I think that BL and Supergirl are not in the same time stream (alternative earth's for lack of a better term) as Arrow and The Flash. I am not sure where LOT and Batwoman fit in. I would assume that LOT probably take place in the same universe as Arrow and Flash due to the Sarah connection. I have never watched Batwoman so I have no idea if her earth is different.
They're alternate Earths. Arrow, Flash and LOT all take place on Earth-1, while Supergirl is on Earth-38. Batwoman is either 1 or 38 (I'm not sure which). As for BL, nobody knows what Earth they're on yet.
Unread 11-17-2019, 05:43 AM
Rookie

Batwoman (and by extension the missing Batman) is Earth-1, first established in her Elsewords appearance last year. Many of the other Earths have already been destroyed in the lead-up to Crisis.

There's a possibility they all get merged during Crisis but I'd prefer Supergirl (and the future Superman show) and BL stay separate as it gives them more leeway with their world building.
Unread 11-19-2019, 01:50 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swanton825 View Post
You do know that Watchman itself was a leftist book, right? Alan Moore is an anarcho-communist who wrote Watchman to critique the Reagan administration the same way V for Vendetta was written to critique the Thatcher administration.
I am fully aware of his political standings. I just read an article where he said the racist group that was formed in the southern states of America during reconstruction era right after our Civil War (I am not sure if the group's name is flagged on here) where comparable to modern day superheros. In that they both wore hoods and capes. He then said that Birth of a Nation (which was a silent film that glorified that group.) was the first superhero movie.

Needless to say I am not sure Alan is dealing with a full deck.

I am not sure why you responded to my post the way you did though. I knew going into the show what his political beliefs were and so I know what to expect from the show.

But as I said, I have yet to watch the show. If I find it too political or too bluntly political I probably will not watch it.

I find shows that are too bluntly political to be boring. I much prefer shows that dress up the topics like the original Twilight Zone or the original Star Trek. There is a beauty in being subtle but still getting your point across (see The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street and Let That Be Your Last Battlefield).

Modern day shows have no such subtlety.
Unread 11-19-2019, 03:09 AM
Rookie

Watchmen is great.

Anyone still watch Mr Robot? The last episode was one the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. Can't stop thinking about it. It's currently #2 on the IMDB highest rated TV episodes list.
Unread 11-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Phenom

Quote:
I am fully aware of his political standings. I just read an article where he said the racist group that was formed in the southern states of America during reconstruction era right after our Civil War (I am not sure if the group's name is flagged on here) where comparable to modern day superheros. In that they both wore hoods and capes. He then said that Birth of a Nation (which was a silent film that glorified that group.) was the first superhero movie.

Needless to say I am not sure Alan is dealing with a full deck.

I am not sure why you responded to my post the way you did though. I knew going into the show what his political beliefs were and so I know what to expect from the show.

But as I said, I have yet to watch the show. If I find it too political or too bluntly political I probably will not watch it.

I find shows that are too bluntly political to be boring. I much prefer shows that dress up the topics like the original Twilight Zone or the original Star Trek. There is a beauty in being subtle but still getting your point across (see The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street and Let That Be Your Last Battlefield).

Modern day shows have no such subtlety.
Well I was confused why you were watching an adaptation of an arguably far-left book if you dislike shows having political message. Alan Moore's political messages have all the subtlety of a brick to the face so I imagine the show is even less subtle as every adaptation of his work takes out a lot of the substance for the message the director or screenwriter wants instead.

I'm sorry if I came off confrontational about it. In addition to my IRL resting b face, I seem to have resting smug post.

And living in the American South, I can sadly confirm there are more than few people here who genuinely view said group of monsters as their own personal superheroes.
Unread 11-20-2019, 05:34 PM
Major League

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bak42 View Post
They're alternate Earths. Arrow, Flash and LOT all take place on Earth-1, while Supergirl is on Earth-38. Batwoman is either 1 or 38 (I'm not sure which). As for BL, nobody knows what Earth they're on yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
Batwoman (and by extension the missing Batman) is Earth-1, first established in her Elsewords appearance last year. Many of the other Earths have already been destroyed in the lead-up to Crisis.

There's a possibility they all get merged during Crisis but I'd prefer Supergirl (and the future Superman show) and BL stay separate as it gives them more leeway with their world building.
Elseworlds also showed us that there are Earth-1 versions of the Supergirl characters (minus Supergirl herself, and I think minus J'onn), and while I'd like to see the "National City without Supergirl" explored a bit more, I worry that it'll just be sacrificed to unify the official Superverse into the Arrowverse and outright overwrite the Earth-1 versions.

With Batwoman (and by extension, at least 1 version of Batman--I'm hoping that's the Kevin Conroy version we're gonna see in Crisis) being in Earth-1, I'm hoping we'll get to see more Gotham/Central City cross-travel post-Crisis, especially with Arrow ending, though I'm legitimately hoping for more Batwoman/Supergirl crossovers in the future (kind of at least as a callback to all the Batman/Superman team-ups), though unless they regularly hop between the two dimensions or the aforementioned unification-via-Crisis, I'm a bit pessimistic about that actually managing to take place.

I also wouldn't mind (in an upcoming Supergirl season) eventually seeing Lois (freaking Juliet from Grimm) and Lucy Lane (Jenna Dewan) actually interacting with each other, being sisters and all. It always annoys me when a thing is talked about rather than actually seen in a TV show.
Like, it took a couple of seasons, but we finally got to see Superman on Supergirl.
It took like 4 seasons, but we finally got to see Lois Lane and Lex Luthor, after seeing Lucy for a season first and introducing Lena on the show before Lex.

If we get a TV version of actual Wonder Woman at ANY point in the CW-verse (and not just the wink-wink of having Lynda Carter on the show) after Legends introduced Themyscira at the end of their Helen Of Troy episode, I will legit lose my g-dang mind over it.

Related, other than the narrative thing of "Laurel wants her Earth-2 back", I actually wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if it stayed gone, other than wanting at least Jay Garrick and his wife to survive/return at the end of Crisis, because we actually got a full season on Flash of connecting with Jay (such as it was with the whole "Zoom masquerading as Jay"), as opposed to 1 single episode of barely connecting with the E-2 Arrow characters who aren't Laurel, only to literally erase them at the end of it.

I'm also gonna wildly speculate out my butt that the Future Arrows might end up calling their team "Young Justice" by the time Arrow finishes. XD XD
Unread 11-22-2019, 11:09 PM
Living Legend

Well three episodes in and the Mandalorian is becoming one of my favorite Star Wars tales ever. So good.
Unread 11-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Rookie

Just binged Undone. The rotoscoped animation took a couple of episodes to get used to but it's a perfect fit for this show. The story and characters are interesting but it's worth the price of admission just for Rosa Salazar and Bob Odenkirk.
Unread 11-30-2019, 02:26 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullMETAL View Post
I'm also gonna wildly speculate out my butt that the Future Arrows might end up calling their team "Young Justice" by the time Arrow finishes. XD XD
I read that it was going to be called Green Arrow and the Canaries. With his daughter, Dinah, and Laurel as the leads. It makes sense because I remember Katie Cassidy signed a long term contract a few years ago. Not sure if/when that contract was/is up but it was for like five or six years and it seemed like she signed it only two or three years ago.
Unread 11-30-2019, 04:21 PM
Living Legend

The Mandalorian is amazing. Every episode is better than the last.
Unread 12-01-2019, 02:25 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Agree x1,000,000. I haven't been huge on a lot of what Disney's put out since they bought Star Wars, but The Mandalorian is unbelievably great. Pedro Pascal deserves all the awards for being able to convey his character and emotion without showing his face. He was highlight on GoT as Oberyn Martell, but this is on a whole different level of acting talent. Something I never thought I'd say about a live action Star Wars character.

Also, The Child is sickeningly cute and everything he does melts my cold dead heart.
Unread 12-01-2019, 03:45 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Well Rian Johnson wants to direct some season two episodes. So it being good might not last very long. Though I guess as long as he has no writing input, it should be fine.

I am waiting for Moon Knight to show up on Disney+ before I try it out. It has just gotten to the point where I have streaming fatigue. I just dropped Netflix last month and I do not miss it one bit. Though I might now, because there is usually nothing good on TV until February.