Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
So looks like they are really stacking the first TV show. They announced that they will be crowning their first Women's champion on the very first show as well as the already announced matches.

All I can say is please don't screw this up and put it on Brandi, I am already not a fan of the heel Brandi/Awesome Kong duo, it screams corrupt GM to me and we just don't need that.
Kong would be a better choice.
Unread 08-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Super Star

The first Women's Champion will be Britt Baker if she's healthy. She was signed from under ROH's nose, she appeared on the rally show thing they did, she's been front and center on promo material and I believe she's appeared regularly in Being the Elite. It was pretty telling how quickly Britt made her Twitter profile pic the one of her on an AEW background and started pimping the promotion way before Double or Nothing happened. Kylie Rae and Nyla Rose were signed at the same time but were still using old profile pics and pimping upcoming indie appearances. I feel like Britt was always earmarked for something greater.

Of the female talent they have, Britt has the best profile too. She can carry the character of a confident champion, the very best of a competitive division far better than any other talent they have. She comes across as that person, somebody that can be brash and arrogant when heel, but capable and credible when face.

Kylie Rae is going to be better chasing, she's obviously compared to Bayley too often but the role of bridesmaid and never the bride suits her down to the ground. From a story perspective, starting her off at the top doesn't make much sense. She's got that underdog charisma, somebody that is going to resonate more with audiences the more the odds are stacked against her.

Nyla Rose will win the belt within the first couple of years just so they can have a monster champion "of sorts" but she's not polished enough yet to carry a burgeoning division that will live or die on match quality at first. It's dead in the water if it starts on the wrong foot. Britt is more reliable and more malleable a talent. She reminds me of Tessa, both of them can have a decent match with anybody but you have to put some serious talent in there with Nyla to get a good match out of her. She can work but she's not at the level they need her to be to be setting the standard.

As for Brandi and Awesome Kong, they'll do the Aja Kong match and then I'm not sure after that. Kia Stevens has been a revelation in Netflix's GLOW so I'm holding out for her branching away from the Awesome Kong gimmick and doing more. I get the impression that Brandi has signed her specifically to work with her so I could see a long-term Brandi and Awesome Kong storyline, perhaps with some moving parts, over either of them winning the belt at first.
Unread 08-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Rookie

I think Britt vs Kylie would have been booked but Kylie was in a car accident in June on the day of her university graduation so she's been MIA.

Britt has said that she hopes to be cleared soon and they hinted at FFTF that she would be feuding with Bea. I expect Kong & Brandi vs Kong and Allie to be a match at All Out so that would put them all out of title contention barring a stipulation.

Based on win/loss records, only Riho has 2 wins. Everyone else has 1 or 0 so I have no clue what they intend to do.
Unread 08-03-2019, 11:03 PM
Living Legend

I hope Tessa Blanchard ends up in AEW.
Unread 08-04-2019, 03:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
I hope Tessa Blanchard ends up in AEW.
When she leaves Impact she's going to have a lot of bargaining power.
Unread 08-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
When she leaves Impact she's going to have a lot of bargaining power.
Yes she will gotta give Impact credit for booking her well along with credit to Tessa for her effort and talent.
Unread 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Big news for the women's division:

https://youtu.be/H5_bODS2130

And Boston & Philly confirmed for weeks 2 & 3 of the show:

https://youtu.be/HvQIi7-5Tbo
Unread 08-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Living Legend

Ivelisse!!!!

Just watched the contract signing for Cody vs Spears, really liking Tully as Spears’s manager. Gives him some legitimacy

Last edited by Jaysin : 08-08-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Unread 08-08-2019, 11:13 PM
Living Legend

Apparently WWE is in talks to buy Fite.
Unread 08-09-2019, 12:23 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Apparently WWE is in talks to buy Fite.
Hopefully they don't sell.
Unread 08-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Road to All Out 4, 5 & 6:

https://youtu.be/H5_bODS2130
https://youtu.be/mqdmj3ouwQM
https://youtu.be/rzKr9jUkyJk
Unread 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM
Super Star

Tony Schiavone to AEW. That's the biggest news in the history of our sport!
Unread 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Major League

If Tony Schiavone joins the commentary booth and replaces Alex Marvez, I think we're going to end up seeing the rise of Excalibur of all people possibly becoming the actually objectively best commentator OF ALL TIME.

WHY? (slaps head, then arms, then snaps fingers)
HERE'S WHY:
(raunchy guitar riff)
So, according to his wiki entry (I've actually never watched PWG, so bear with me there), when Ex retired in '07, he became a commentator full-time.
Nothing new, nothing special, right? Wrestlers become commentators all the time, with varying results.
So then apparently he winds up good enough (again, since I've never watched PWG, I wouldn't have first-hand knowledge of how good he was at the table there) that he gets tapped to man the booth at All In with Don Callis, as well as working with Sean Mooney, both seasoned vets with lots of experience and highly-regarded talking skill, and lots of wisdom and knowledge to pass down.
(I DID see All In, and happened to agree with the majority consensus that Excalibur was quite awesome at commentary.)
So then he calls Double Or Nothing, with none other than Jim Ross, one of, if not THE, greatest storytelling commentator in the HISTORY of professional wrestling.
And surprise of surprises, you could've knocked me over with a feather (/s), Excalibur not only held his own, but excelled.

I mentioned over on a Discord chat the following scenario with Schiavone at the table:
Quote:
I think if it's just Ross, Ex, and Tony, they COULD wind up being quite good -- at this point, JR's the Storyteller type of the group, the guy to connect the current workers to the past workers, Tony will carry most of the load for Play-By-Play and take some of the burden off of JR, and then Excalibur can provide the Color Analyst role, basically being a much much MUCH better Matt Striker, instead of Ex having to carry his own AND Marvez's loads.
Btw, in this particular context, I refer to Matt Striker as actually quite knowledgeable (I'm one of those people who thinks Striker is in fact quite good), and when he's not trying to read from a script, he can actually keep up and hold his own when calling a match. I thought the earlier days of his WWE commentary were better than the end of his run there because at the end it felt like he was doing the "getting told in his ear what to say" thing (but that's just me).

So, now that Tony Schiavone's in AEW, that means Excalibur, who's already quite good himself at commentary after more than a decade doing it, has another very experienced, very competent voice of wrestling to work with regularly and learn from.

Quote:
mark my words, by the time Excalibur reaches Tony Schiavone's age, and then Jim Ross's, he'll likely become the BEST commentator EVER somehow

I'm definitely gonna double down on my prediction that Excalibur will, within 20 years, become the objectively best wrestling commentator ever, even if opinions will still put others ahead of him

Basically, the TL;DR of what I'm saying is that the biggest beneficiary of Tony Schiavone signing to AEW is/will be Excalibur, because working with JR AND Tony will only IMPROVE Excalibur's already excellent booth-work to the point where he can elevate basically anybody else just by being next to them...and that even INCLUDES...Alex Marvez.

Tony Schiavone just might be the missing piece of the puzzle that can actually make Alex Marvez into a better, more confident commentator, if only just by secondhand osmosis through Tony working with Excalibur, let alone firsthand help directly FROM Tony.
Unread 08-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Star

I was thrilled to see Tony Schiavone join AEW's commentary team. He was one of the voices of wrestling when I was a kid in the 80s, and then, he was a big part of the Monday Night Wars as well. Plus, you never know what might happen during those commercial breaks. With Schiavone on board, at least we can all rest assured that those tape machines will indeed be rolling.

Can't wait to start watching the TV show every week. Good times coming.
Unread 08-20-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdWarrior View Post
With Schiavone on board, at least we can all rest assured that those tape machines will indeed be rolling.

Just once I wanted them to come back from commercial and the match be over. Damn you Schiavone!!