Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
I just wish the tag titles and national title werenít so hideous.
I agree 100% with you, but according to Dan (of Belts By Dan, who made the belts), Corgan & Lagana were VERY specific about what they wanted with them, in that they wanted the classic Tags (which got made using the original Mulkavich molds) for the tags, and they wanted the National belt to look like the old US belt (this one was acid-etched as a standard-style belt, presumably because Dan didn't have access to the old mold for the original), right down to the material and shaping of the leather.

They did the same with the new version of the NWA Women's belt that they just presented to Women's Champion Sienna/Allysin Kay, making it look like almost exactly like the original Mildred Burke belt.

Personally, I would've preferred they went with other designs in Dan's portfolio (many of which were done by yours truly), but given the history behind all 3 of those styles, I won't begrudge them their choices.

Right now, I'm trying to pitch a couple concepts to one of their go-betweens to update the North American and Junior Heavyweight belts with (both concepts being inspired by classic designs, to stick with their "what's old is new again" motif), once they turn their attention over to those, and I'm hoping they end up getting the okay so that Dan can start on those for them.
Unread 10-10-2019, 12:54 AM
Living Legend

I thought the show was okay, not great, but okay. To me there were far too many squash matches. Which I understand is a good way to get your stars over and it did go hand and hand with the retro feel of the show. But I thought they could have put maybe a squash match and two competitive matches on.

I did enjoy the main event and I liked the sit down promo with Tim Storm (Who I have never even heard of until that show and I have been watching wrestling since 1986.). I loved how they had their interview section, it reminded of the 1980's NWA (To an extent the 1980's WWF as well. After all the Barbershop and Piper's Pit were not very big sets. If I recall correctly only Brother Love's set was big.).

If they had maybe one more competitive match I probably would have enjoyed it more. That is why I have become a big fan of MLW. Sure they have squash matches but the matches always seem to be competitive and I often cannot say for certain who is going to win before the start of every match.
Unread 10-10-2019, 01:55 AM
Living Legend

There were two squashes, two competitive matches, and a throwaway match. I feel like it was pretty well spaced out.
Unread 10-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Minor League

NWA Powerrr Thoughts (Stupid name? wtf does power have multiple Rs?)

(Be wary these are just MY thoughts)

Straight out of the gate i loved the vibe. As someone who was born in the late 90s i never watched any Studio Wrestling this has a really cool vibe about it.

Eli Drake Promo was great but he needs to find his own light and stop trying to be like The Rock so much.

I skipped the Dawsons tag team match because they look like crap.

No entrance music and people just kind of turning up on set is kind of odd? maybe they should explain this?

Big fan of Thomas Cameron & Royce Isaacs as the wildcards but their gear is very raven-rip off

Will there be a match on this card that i cant predict? doubt it.

Eddie Kingston is the man. We need more of Eddie Kingston.

I was loving the stuff with Jocephus and then James Storm showed up and buried the shit out of him. Great. another TNA guy.

Nick Aldis is great! he shines as a champion but his character is still so boring and plain the best thing about him is Kamille.

Last match was super predictable because who the hell is Tim Storm? 50+ years and ive never heard of him yet somehow takes the NWA champion to the limit? ehh

It was a really good show and i enjoyed it for what it was. I cant say im too keen for future episodes tho the stories are just not very interesting and it comes across to me as a TNA Spinoff. Will the Nostalgic feeling carry this show?

Last edited by Astyn : 10-13-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Unread 10-14-2019, 04:19 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astyn View Post
NWA Powerrr Thoughts (Stupid name? wtf does power have multiple Rs?)

(Be wary these are just MY thoughts)

Straight out of the gate i loved the vibe. As someone who was born in the late 90s i never watched any Studio Wrestling this has a really cool vibe about it.

Eli Drake Promo was great but he needs to find his own light and stop trying to be like The Rock so much.

I skipped the Dawsons tag team match because they look like crap.

No entrance music and people just kind of turning up on set is kind of odd? maybe they should explain this?

Big fan of Thomas Cameron & Royce Isaacs as the wildcards but their gear is very raven-rip off

Will there be a match on this card that i cant predict? doubt it.

Eddie Kingston is the man. We need more of Eddie Kingston.

I was loving the stuff with Jocephus and then James Storm showed up and buried the shit out of him. Great. another TNA guy.

Nick Aldis is great! he shines as a champion but his character is still so boring and plain the best thing about him is Kamille.

Last match was super predictable because who the hell is Tim Storm? 50+ years and ive never heard of him yet somehow takes the NWA champion to the limit? ehh

It was a really good show and i enjoyed it for what it was. I cant say im too keen for future episodes tho the stories are just not very interesting and it comes across to me as a TNA Spinoff. Will the Nostalgic feeling carry this show?
Aldis is fine, he's come such a long way from "Brutus Magnus" and the angle they're doing with Kamille is interesting enough. Storm's storyline was done well enough. Classic one-last hurrah leads to unexpected success story. See: The Natural both novel and movie. Prefer the novel, and apparently so does NWA. It would probably have helped if they recapped the story better leading up to this, or built this match up for the PPV and not did it here, but this is your self-funded TV pilot, you want to show off your best. So I get it.

The Dawsons are a nice little southern heel tag-team that should fill that slot. The entire idea of the squash match is to be a live-action highlight reel. Great way to introduce them and get another tag-team through the door. Can't call them TNA Spinoffs and in the same breath bury new talent.

Honestly, people are so terrible on the stick in this era that a dude doing a The Rock lounge act is like... the best promo in the world right now. Keep at it, Eli.

It definitely would be better with some music, but... this is a TV pilot and Corgin and Lagana have been crystal clear that without a TV partner reasonably soonish this isn't sustainable.
Unread 10-14-2019, 05:31 AM
Minor League

Its just my opinion they just look like bums to Me and thats a big emphassis on Me
Unread 10-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Living Legend

First time seeing Ricky Starks and Iím officially a fan. Little bummed Murdoch lost, but Starks could be a star for the new NWA
Unread 10-20-2019, 05:14 AM
Minor League

I tried watching the first episode yesterday, and I think I just had my most bizarre experience watching a wrestling show, ever. Bizarre doesn't actually mean bad.....just really unusual and weird. Basically, I enjoyed almost everything except the actual matches. I loved the overall presentation of the show, I actually think it's better than all the other current-running American weekly wrestling shows in that regard. They do a good job of introducing characters to me even though I don't recognize 90% of the roster. I enjoyed most of the promos and interviews, particularly the main event. Never watched Tim Storm before, but the pre-match promo package and his interview did a great job in getting me invested in the story. Then the bell rings, and I keep finding my attention wandering and struggling to stay engaged. The structuring of the match story is fine, but the action just doesn't excite me. And the post-match stuff with Aldis was perfect too. If only I can care about the matches, it would be my favourite American wrestling show right now.

Usually when I find that the match style isn't my cup of tea I simply stop watching a show, but I'm really conflicted about this. This is the only time ever when I want to keep watching a wrestling show purely for the non-wrestling segments..... :S
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM
Living Legend

NWA had another solid show. Seems like the tag division is gonna be a big part of the show going forward.
Unread 10-23-2019, 06:03 PM
Major League

Royce Isaacs has been one of my "power players" ever since I first saw him last year in Championship Wrestling From Hollywood.

Guy's an absolute star, and he makes it feel like he's been that way from Day 1.

Once the brass reactivate the Junior Heavyweight Championship, my top pick for the belt is a wrestler named Chris Bey (aka "The Ultimate Finesser"), who recently made appearances in ROH (Future Of Honor match and Death Before Dishonor Fallout match), WWE (205 Live vs. Ariya Daivari), and Impact (vs. Jake Crist).

Last edited by fullMETAL : 10-23-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Unread 10-24-2019, 07:53 PM
Rookie

The no entrance music thing was a staple with studio wrestling. The show is being presented as authentic as possible.

I have enjoyed the first 3 episodes so far, you know what I love the most tho? THERE'S NOT SPOT MONKEY WRESTLING!

Guys are actually having to tell a story in the ring, they aren't out there to hit 20 high spots and go home. This drives me insane with a lot of wrestling these days. Guys go out and hit nothing but high spots, and flips n flops and dives. Do they not realize that 2 high spots are better and more meaningful in a match then 30?

I am happy to see tho that their first ppv sold out, and happy to see that Corgan and Lagana are really trying to make the NWA a household name again. Best of luck, and I will be along for the ride.
Unread 10-26-2019, 03:45 AM
Minor League

Episode 2 was a better viewing experience for me, since I actually enjoyed 3 out of 4 matches, especially the opener. Also perfect post-show reactions for both wrestlers in that match. It's a relief, since I had been struggling to decide whether I should keep watching a wrestling show where I'm not enjoying the matches. The promos are still of high standards, and it's something I wish there's more of in AEW.

I don't think I'm going to be a fan of the Wild Cards though, since that's 2 weeks in a row that I can't stay interested in their matches. I didn't even care that the match ended via no contest due to interference. On the other hand, though, Nick Aldis might be the best-portrayed World Champion in American Wrestling right now.
Unread 10-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Minor League

NWA POWERRRRRRR (Episode 4 - Thoughts)

- James Storm v Cabana? Are we meant to like Storm because he comes across as a dick.
- Why does Eli run in an try and motivate everyone? Is this his gimmick? I like him but this part of his character is just weird.
- Nick Aldis is great and saves this segment.
- Harley Race. Dory Funk. Ric Flair. but dont forget Ron Killings.
- Joe Galli is a pest - go away heat from this guy
- Yess! I love me some Trevor Murdoch this guy deserve the world title.
- Evolve's JD Drake would be amazing here.
- Murdoch v Jocephus was bad.
- Not a fan of Aron Stevens new character.
- Umm wtf? Ricky Starks & Aron Stevens? Are we meant to like one of these guys?
- Dawsons vs Homicide and Kingston - I really dont like The Dawsons im hoping this is their last match in NWA and Homicide and Kingston can move on from these lumps
- please end this match this is not fun.
- I need to stop watching this show live so i can skip some of this shit (NO MORE DAWSONS!)
- not a fan of the buddy-buddy dynamics in the womens division are these the best women wrestlers or Allysins Kays friends?
- Marti Bell v Ashley Vox - i was just hoping Thunder Rosa would come and squash them both. NEXT.
- and they introduce Thunder Rosa like that...
- Aron Stevens should become Jocephus stunt double.
- its good to finally see Aron Stevens wrestle! The show has finally lifted
- Bad finish. Again im confused if Rickys heel or not?
- I actually hate Aron Stevens when he talks. Im back to where i felt during the Dawsons match. I dont know if i can took much more of this.
- Maybe their is no face/heel divide? Maybe youre just not meant to like anyone.
- Whats are the stakes for everyone else in this 6 man tag match why would Wildcards want to help Storm? Are Kingston & Homicide going to come out? The Dawsons?
- Jim Cornette had the perfect explanation of Elis gimmick - "He was just standing there"
- I HATE wrestling punches.
- End of a meh 3 v 3 yeah that was a shmoz
- this is definetly the worst NWA episode ive seen so far and last live viewing for sure.

Takeaways
- Eli Drake is the best but has nothing to do even though everyones got nothing to do.
- Dawsons suck.
- give Eddie Kingston the mic
- maybe its just my age but i do not understand old school style of wrestling. Is it meant to look more realistic? Because i definetly do not get that vibe from NWA it feels more like Cartoon Wrestling? Maybe im wrong
- Sign JD Drake hes perfect for NWA
-
Unread 10-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Living Legend

Probably the weakest over all show NWA has done in the Powerrr era. Still solid though.
Unread 10-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Probably the weakest over all show NWA has done in the Powerrr era. Still solid though.
It wasn't even that weak in my opinion. The main event was solid, The Dawsons were having a fun brawl with Homicide and Kingston until the Wild Cards interfered and no match was out and out horrible. A bit surprised they had Ricky Starks go over Aron Stevens admittedly but that's not necessarily a bad thing.