Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-10-2019, 02:51 AM

Default Fan Variations

I just came up with this idea and thought I'd suggest it before I forget about it.

Fan Variation or whatever you'd like to call it, but basically, different types of fans. I've thought up 5 that could work with the game. The whole point of this is too add more strategic elements into the game.

Your product usually caters to specific types of fans, right? But nothing other than that is said in the game. I'm thinking that if there were diverse sets of fans, it could raise the bar on the marketing aspects of the game. (which aren't really there..)

So let's say you're USPW or SWF. You want casual fans similarly to how WWE wants them in real life. Sure, you'll take hardcore (fans looking for workrate, etc) because they're the backbone of almost all promotions, but you primarily want casuals.

So, your marketing (pre-match bookings, ticket prices, etc.) caters to them.

Now let's say you're CZCW, MAW or NYCW. You'll want those previously mentioned hardcore fans because you don't necessarily rely on entertaining and charismatic wrestlers. Casuals may watch, but only occasionally and so you need the hardcore fans to stay afloat.

As said above, marketing caters to them specifically.

Those are the best examples I could come up with.. But anyways, onto the different types of fans that I think could be implemented.

Casual Fans

These are the fans who'll watch hours and hours of SWF/USPW and never get bored, reeled in by the stars they have, the cool look, and obviously - the never-ending soap operas they hold week in and week out.
They're more willing to pay more for ticket prices, and usually flock to SWF, USPW, Sometimes TCW, and other Pop>Perf companies. If you can connect with these fans (through your product) - you'll be able to gain popularity faster than other types of companies, but you'll need to be able to make sure they don't get bored with your company - which could have the opposite effect.

[(+)Faster Popularity Gain, (+)Higher Profits, (-)Potentially Devastating Attendance Drops/Popularity Losses]

Hardcore Fans

Obviously every promotion has these. Fans looking for those Daniel Bryans or Johnny Gargano's on your roster. Wanting to see them in the Main Event. These fans don't care about the soap opera or flashy lights, they want to see pure wrestling. There's less of them, and they won't pay the high prices to get into an SWF show (they'd rather watch it at home), but are willing to spend heftier prices to go watch companies like MAW, NYCW or basically any Japanese company. Because of the fact that there are less of them, you rise in popularity slower if you cater to them, but it has the positive effect in that you really can't lose their interest, which means once they're devoted to you, they probably won't ever walk away.

[(+Dedicated to your promotion, (-)Slower Popularity gains]

Extreme Fans

Pretty self explanatory. Screaming, loud and obnoxious - these are the fans who come out to watch PSW shows (or ECW in real life). Publicly humiliating wrestlers, and basically deciding the main event stars with their voice. They are the bookers. They choose who stays and who leaves. These fans never really watch other products, but they flock to Hardcore Wrestling and/or Risquť content, and if you don't do as they say - you'll pay. Quite literally, as if they see something you've done as 'wrong' they will stop showing up until they hear its gotten better or you've done what they wanted.

[(+)Make Hardcore Promotions easily stay afloat, (-)Attendance Rates may Drop]

Very Casual Fans

These fans really only recognize the legends - Jack Bruce, Champagne Lover, etc. and usually follow suit with the casual fans. They are kind of like the backbone of companies like SWF and USPW. The only difference is that they only watch once in a while. And if a show is near them by a company with Pop>Perf they'll likely go see it just to watch it and/or fill their time. They don't recognize many promotions outside of National levels in there area. No specific product caters to them as these types are purely cosmetic in terms of strategic usage.

[(+)Certain Regions may have higher attendances, (-)Aren't dedicated and get burned out very quickly]

Normal Fans

These fans are willing to watch nearly anything, and pay for average and below priced shows. They aren't dedicated to specific promotions but make up a majority of TV Viewers. They don't typically go out to live shows and will pay for 1-6 of a Major companies PPV's throughout the year (usually of high importance) just to keep up with whats going on.

[(+)Will come out to shows nearby, (+)Average Profits, (-)Slower Pop Gain, (-)Aren't dedicated to certain promotions]

This is the best I could explain this all and looking back at it it doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas but I'll still post it and see what everyone else thinks. I'm not good at explaining things so this is the best I could put it. And basically they contribute to a companies profits/pop gains/losses during the month, with different types contributing higher/smaller gains or losses based on your companies product.

tl;dr
Casuals & Very Casuals -> Perf>Pop Companies, Larger pop gains & profits but low stability and can lead to devastating losses.
Hardcore -> Perf=Pop, Perf>Pop Companies, Smaller pop gains but a dedicated fanbase.
Extreme -> Pop>Perf/Hardcore companies, don't watch anything else
Normal -> Pop>Perf, Perf=Pop, Perf>Pop Companies, but contribute smaller gains/losses.
Unread 02-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Major League

Totally agree with this. Fans should also tie in with workers and pop, so say a worker with massive pop moving promotions would gain a shift (temporarily) at least in casual fans (even if the promotion doesnít lose fans the other one would gains some fans tuning in)

Say if an A pop American star went to Japan that would also gain a few fans temporarily from America, leading to the opportunity for the next few shows to keep these fans and build on it.
Unread 02-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Major League

Isn’t this what product setting does?

By definition, hardcore fans are fans who are always going to be around because they love wrestling.

As much as people like to crap on WWE, they are still tuned in whether it’s watching or following it through various ways on the Internet because they are hardcore wrestling fans.

A product catering to mainstream has everything to do with making money. Those casual fans arent sticking around so its about getting new viewership. Sponsors favor to mainstream type of content.

As for separate popularity, I always thought some sort of reputation stat or rating (that increases by putting on good matches) would simulate those guys that won over wrestling fans and that would always get a good reaction from that crowd (vocal crowd note).

Maybe if TEW went in the direction of WMMA with it’s expanded prestige ratings for company, something like reputation for companies could be a thing and it’s raised by putting on good wrestling matches.
Unread 02-10-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Isnít this what product setting does?

By definition, hardcore fans are fans who are always going to be around because they love wrestling.

As much as people like to crap on WWE, they are still tuned in whether itís watching or following it through various ways on the Internet because they are hardcore wrestling fans.

A product catering to mainstream has everything to do with making money. Those casual fans arent sticking around so its about getting new viewership. Sponsors favor to mainstream type of content.

As for separate popularity, I always thought some sort of reputation stat or rating (that increases by putting on good matches) would simulate those guys that won over wrestling fans and that would always get a good reaction from that crowd (vocal crowd note).

Maybe if TEW went in the direction of WMMA with itís expanded prestige ratings for company, something like reputation for companies could be a thing and itís raised by putting on good wrestling matches.
You have a good point but the idea is to implement a system where the player can manually market shows and matches, rather than the game simulating how many people are gonna show up to Event X or TV Show Y.

I have an idea of how a system could be implemented but its a lot of explaining to do but basically you take the type of fan (and a rough percentage that your fanbase is of it) and multiply it by your pop in a region (or across an area for TV shows/National companies) and that'll determine how many fans come out/watch - and this is also dependent on the core audience. In the end Casuals & Very Casuals give you larger audiences, Hardcore smaller audiences that won't get burnt out (or hardly ever), Extreme gives you the vocal, risky audience and Normals will just give you an average turnout.

Each type of the five fans (excluding Very Casual) basically just effects your pop and profit gains/losses - depending on which is your core audience.
If this were ever done I think it'd be something that should have the option to be toggled on/off.

I'm trying to make the idea make sense as best I can but as I said before I'm bad at explaining things so bear with me lol.

On another note, a few ideas popped into my head while writing this.

1) Crowd Incidents - rare incidents that include Fans hopping the barricades, Wrestlers showing up in the crowd, and Wrestlers assaulting your wrestlers from the crowd. These can be resolved one of three ways: Fine, Lawsuit and Ask To Leave.

2) More Backstage Rules/Crowd Rules: Do Not Wear Merch from other promotions (unless they are in an alliance or working agreement with us) & Tell fans to leave if they are wearing rivals' merchandise.

Lemme know what you think (and hell, these've probably already been suggested but I don't care lol!)