Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Grey Dog Software General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Low Minors

Default Website Renovation

Hello,

I would like to formally introduce myself! My names Will and im addicted to Greydog Software....

The truth is, although I'm a fan i am also the owner of Will Designs a full service Graphic, Web and Print Design company and I'm in the process of revamping GDS.com

I have spoke with Arlie and have gotten input and permission from him to ask for your advice. As the consumers and fans of GDS what would you like to see on the new updated website? Remember not everything will happen, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Unread 08-09-2017, 12:28 PM
GDS Developer

More modern design that does not rely on Flash to load should be the top priority, IMHO.
Unread 08-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Locker Room Leader :)

Something that ensures the latest games and their latest updates are readily available on the first page. Most games on here have Technical Support forums with the latest patch a available in them, so having direct links to those pages would be a top priority to ensure the best possible support for the user base.
Unread 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Low Minors

The new website is going to be a lot more modern and even mobile friendly. As well as my goal is to allow for more updates and games to be posted on the website's first page more frequently.
Unread 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Minor League

Would love compatability with Tapatalk for mobile browsing on the go.

Spice up the colors a little bit.
Unread 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Low Minors

No guarantees, but i will see what i can do. The site itself will be alot more mobile friendly, however with Tapatalk being an external application, i will try to see what i can do to make it compatible.
Unread 08-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzy1051 View Post
No guarantees, but i will see what i can do. The site itself will be alot more mobile friendly, however with Tapatalk being an external application, i will try to see what i can do to make it compatible.
A website built on wordpress core with a responsive theme would be awesome.
Unread 08-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idolized View Post
A website built on wordpress core with a responsive theme would be awesome.

That is actually what im building it on. The wordpress core has tons of capabilities and I am currently converting the current website to the wordpress core.

As for the responsive theme, it will be responsive however it will be a custom built theme and layout.
Unread 08-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
More modern design that does not rely on Flash to load should be the top priority, IMHO.
I would like to second this. Most of the stuff on the front page doesn't work if you are using a tablet or smartphone because of the Flash requirement. I don't really use the front page so it doesn't really matter to me, but if I needed to use something on the front page than it would be important for me.
Unread 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM
GDS Developer

Azul, that's been the main catalyst of the site change. I was going to take it on myself but I'm very happy Will came along for me to hire. He's doing a much better job than I ever could - plus I really didn't have the time to mess with it.
Unread 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Living Legend

Get rid of star ratings on threads please.
Unread 08-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
An update to the new IPB software would make the forums so much more user friendly.
Unread 08-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
keep them
Unread 08-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaken View Post
keep them
They don't really serve a purpose though? No one one stars a thread and then says why which just leads to demoralisation and projects being cut off before they get going. Places like here thrive on creativity and feedback and right now, we only got half of that.
Unread 08-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Super Star

Remove star ratings. They do more harm than good. People get their Dynasty five-starred by some stranger and then sometimes they don't even get nominated for DOTM. At this point it's a useless, counter-productive and frankly dated feature. It was a smart little vBulletin feature years ago, now it's a weapon for the trolls because of its anonymity.

Add a like / upvote feature to posts. Sometimes I like a post, I like what the person is saying but I don't want to make a post to that effect because if we all did that, the forum would wind up hella cluttered with lots of spam. These work really well on every other forum I'm on and encourage positive interactions.

Clean the site up a little. The index is very cluttered and it doesn't need to be. Here's some things I would do:

Move the Grey Dog Software Think Tank section of the forum up and place within it the Grey Dog Software General Discussions sub-forum and The Dog Pound sub-forum. Putting all the non-games related stuff in one area is smart and will encourage traffic to those areas.

Put the Total Extreme Wrestling Discussions 2016 General Discussions sub-forum in the Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 forum. And then do the same for all the other games. Having one dedicated area for it means that when somebody wants to talk TEW2016, it will all be in one place.

Stick all the dated versions of games within a large Archive forum. Now there's TEW 2016, there's no reason for three sub-forums from TEW2013 to still be visible on the home page. Putting them within an archive of-sorts means that it's all in one place, easy to reach and isn't filling up the home page with rarely visited sub-forums.

Customisible profiles! I'm on another forum that lets you have a cover photo and add lots of little personal details to your profile, a bio, a location, a gender, etc etc. It also tracks all of your forum activity so I can see my first post, see when I've liked something, see every reply I've made to every thread. After so long, you can also have a Custom User Title so that promotes activity and allows you to continue building your "persona" so to speak.