Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Arcadia: Guild of Heroes General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-11-2013, 05:49 AM
GDS Developer

Lightbulb Brief Update/Brainstorming

Hey everyone,
Hope all are enjoying the 1.5 version of Arcadia! Just wanted to let you all know i'm still here if anyone has questions, etc.

Just have been taking a week or two break to clear my head after all the furious work that went into the game and the two patches. I really like where the game is at right now.

So the next question should be: What features could be added to make it better, more fun, deeper, etc? Let's all brainstorm, and i'll be paying close attention to all the posts for either another patch or the next version.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Low Minors

Just thinking aloud (I like the game as it is).

-Items that can found via Quest, monster, or random treasure which could boost attributes for a while before losing their charge (or be permanent).

-A quest based on the news headline that is displayed.

-Classes incorporation, maybe from a school?

-Simple database to view character/party history, maybe unretire legendary characters?

-Character can tell you why he's angry, or you can view why his morale is a certain way.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Major League

To expand on items, you could make it so we can equip items to our party members. This could open up the option for a "shop" where we can buy items to equip, elixir's to boost health, etc. Maybe you could even have the grand quest location sold on a map for a higher price that opens the quest up for the next turn automatically?

I think I've mentioned it before, but maybe changing the season turns into weeks, so having 52 weeks a year, and each quest can require a different amount of weeks to complete. The more weeks it takes, the higher the reward.

Classes would be a nice touch, as would races. It just adds another small detail that helps to immerse yourself into the game world.

Maybe you could buy upgrades to you home base? They could help heal quicker, help boost stats faster, etc. you could even do it in a system where you own a hut, then an inn, then two inns, then the village - or something like that - and each upgrade gives you extra income each turn.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:26 AM
GDS Developer

All great ideas so far! The equipable item slot for characters is something I toyed with already, and would go into a new version for sure. Upgradable guild house is good too.
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Hall of Fame

A collection of (extremely) random thoughts...

=I think any way to have the characters feel more 'real' or at least more fleshed out and different from one an other would be a huge bonus to a game like this.

=Pictures would be an obvious suggestion, although I can understand how it might be difficult to find enough for a game like this.

=Small biographies perhaps? If they could be done in the same way TEW generates biographies would be more than adequate. If you haven't seen them it's a combination of where they come from, their strengths and their finishing move. A similar thing could be done with this game...
"CHARACTER hails from LOCATION. Extremely STRENGTH, CHARACTER is proficient with a WEAPON. However, CHARACTER must be careful that his/her WEAKNESS does not get him/her into trouble!"
Or something to that effect! Obviously the ability to make locations, weapons etc. moddable would be great too.

=Perhaps a variety of traits a la Crusader Kings. I know there are some already, but all seem to impact on treasure finding (or at least, having played the demo that's the only type I saw). Traits that influence their reaction to decisions, to each other etc. would be good.

=As mentioned before, races and classes would be a good way to differentiate characters.

=At this stage I've only really had chance to check out the original demo, but I thought a more involved questing system would be good. Perhaps involve some sort of moral choices whereby you could choose to save a village from a rampaging horde for prestige and no gold, or

=When I was playing I found the Quests to be over too quickly. Unless you had the choices (which were good), there was nothing between choosing the quest and seeing the results. Some sort of summary of the quest would just add a bit more...reason...for doing the quests. I'm sure with a forum like this you'd be able to come up with more than enough "storylines" to differentiate some of the quests. Even if it was just a case of stringing together a series of plot points (in which case you'd need a lot obviously) into a "Quest Log" at the end of the mission. For example you could have...
"The adventurers left for PLACE in the middle of a terrible SEASON storm. Midway to their destination the party were waylaid by enemies and had to defend themselves. TEAM MEMBER suffered INJURY during the ensuing battle.

After reaching their destination some days later, the adventurers found TREASURE."
Obviously it'd be a bit more interesting than that (and without the Baldur's Gate reference), but hopefully you get the idea!

=Random events. Perhaps having done all the hard work a party of evil adventurers nicks all your loot. Maybe having found the plunder of a lifetime a terrific storm forces you to dump half of the treasure in order to survive. Maybe on the way home a kind stranger takes you in to heal your wounds. Perhaps a witch curses you, a priest blesses you, you find a dog and take it home, or you save a horse from a burning barn. Just something small that might make you stop and think "that quest was different".

Hope that helps. If I think of anymore I'll be sure to post!
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:26 AM
GDS Developer

Jhd: The new 1.5 demo and full version adds more involved questing and choices, and the Prestige stat you can use. otherwise, some good thoughts.
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
Jhd: The new 1.5 demo and full version adds more involved questing and choices, and the Prestige stat you can use. otherwise, some good thoughts.
I thought it might. I have downloaded it actually, I just haven't had chance to fire it up yet!
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Low Minors

Was thinking about released warriors being able to stay in the hireling pool instead of being deleted. Also, not sure if the hirelings age or not (they should).

Prestige points used to resurrect.

I second a way to give the warriors more personality or flair, perhaps a bond that can make contract negotiations easier or a person quest.

The game is fine as it is, though.
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:57 AM

I would love to see Pictures of the warriors similar to the workers in the wrestling games (TEW, Spirit, etc)
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:07 PM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
I would love to see Pictures of the warriors similar to the workers in the wrestling games (TEW, Spirit, etc)
As discussed somewhere in another thread, since the warriors are randomly generated, this really isn't viable or even necessary really for this type of game. Perhaps I could consider letting players add their own "portraits" and leaving a space for them down the road, or even something like FaceGen?
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:12 PM
GDS Developer

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming! I do actually read and/or catalog them all.
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
As discussed somewhere in another thread, since the warriors are randomly generated, this really isn't viable or even necessary really for this type of game. Perhaps I could consider letting players add their own "portraits" and leaving a space for them down the road, or even something like FaceGen?
I think the only way around this would be to not have characters randomly generated, and instead have a database of warriors, where the information (name, age, stats, image) are added to it manually. It'd mean a lot of work on the initial database, but would allow the images. But I think that's something that would be in a follow up, rather than this version, due to the sheer amount of work it'd take to implement.
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Derek - I don't know if you've seen much of TEW in action, but would a similar feature to the Free Pictures section work? Basically, you assign a picture a set of categories based on gender, size, race and potential use (i.e. wrestler, referee, announcer etc.). When a new character is created it then chooses one of the pictures that matches its own settings. That way you can have as many or as few pictures as you like and with the option to add or remove as preferred. You can even include only a handful of template/silhouette type images to fill in for the various settings (for example, I'm using a silhouette wearing a ref's shirt for created referees in TEW rather than actual referee renders).
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:27 PM
GDS Developer

I thought of using the silhouette type approach and then "outfitting" it with various headgear, faces supplied by players, etc. Seems like the most flexible for a game like Arcadia.
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Hall of Fame

You could always turn to the forums for help. We have a tremendous number of quality renderers that seem more then willing to help out.

For CBH I created a fantasy world mod and gathered 30+ 'fantasy' renders without much trouble. I also know Adam has tapped some of the more prolific and talented users to help populate updates to the C-verse.