Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Finish Line Ultimate Racing General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you fall on the "multi-car, multi-race at the same time" issue?
I think the game would be badly incomplete without, probably wouldn't buy. 35 36.84%
I think the game is fine as is, assuming the feature gets added later to this version. 60 63.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 10-29-2014, 01:57 PM
GDS Developer

Default FL Feature Survey

Just looking to get an overall opinion on this issue that fusionfreak has brought up to see if others feel the same. I don't agree that a single-car, single-race format is the same as "using 7 players in a baseball game" but others may disagree.
Unread 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM
GDS Developer

See the Dev Journal #10 thread (starting around the middle of Page 2) for more details on this if you haven't read for awhile.
Unread 10-29-2014, 03:22 PM

I'm sure the game will still be fun and challenging, and this will not be a deal breaker for me, but one thing I would be concerned about at some point in playing the game, would be the replay value. I do believe that with the option to have a multiple team, or due to finances, just starting out with one car, and then as the season progresses, or more to reality, once the season ends, you do have the choice to add another car or two(if you have the finances), would give the game more "replay value"

I'm just wondering, with the availability of having a one car team, how many scenarios can you really play out? Other games that I play, and have now played for years, is mainly due to their replay value. And no, you don't have to throw everything at us in version one. Too much for you to take on, and from a business standpoint, why would we even buy a version two, if you gave us everything in the initial version. I get that.

I still think that a solid AI, and a bug free game is number one, but a very close second would be to add this feature, either initially, or in a patch.

Then, let us play our brains out with version 1, and then in version 2, add some lower division racing leagues. And give us the option to start at the lowest level, and work our way up. Add additional tracks, and allow us to create our own schedule. Have other teams aggressively pursue our drivers at the end of a season, and we are then kicking ourselves for not giving this driver a longer contract, etc. Eventually include contract negotiations to the mix, etc. I think the options could be endless, and carry you into many versions moving forward. Wow, this was long!
Unread 10-29-2014, 03:24 PM
GDS Developer

Contract negotiations are in this version, and (sort of) working already. And i'm considering the "lower leagues" idea (mentioned in the #10 Dev Journal thread) for the patch already.
Unread 10-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Rookie

I'm really hoping for that feature, but I'm probably going to buy it regardless.
Unread 10-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Super Star

I think that you have done really really well with the making of this game so I would emplore to follow what you believe to be the best idea for the game.

You have gotten somebody like me, who has no interest in NASCAR or Formula 1 or any other kind of car racing, interested in buying this game and with every update I get even more impressed. And I must give you huge props for that.
Unread 10-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Personally, I love the idea of being able to have multiple drivers in a race. I think it would would make the experience more intriguing to have the dynamics of team members working for (and against) each other in a race and then having to manage potential conflict. Team chemistry would be a very important influence. Friends could turn into bitter rivals, or vice versa. If you have a team of superstars who hate each other, its probably not going to make for a very successful team. I just find the idea of managing that fascinating, if its done right.

I also like the idea of having lower-tier racing circuits to groom and farm future drivers. It could also be used to "reboot" a driver's career if they lose too much in the big leagues, giving them a second chance. It would also be interesting to build up an organization (owner) from the lowest levels of racing to the most prestigious.

All that being said, this game looks great already and I will be buying it. But, it would be awesome to see additional content like what I mentioned above added via patches or a sequel.
Unread 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Star

Definitely a big plus in my opinion, but not a deal breaker if it is not in immediately. I believe as the game evolves having this option opens up a lot possibilities, team chemistry, mentoring, etc. Obviously those things are well down the road, but I would really love to see at least 2 driver teams at some point in this version.

Still buying this either way.
Unread 10-30-2014, 11:34 AM

I am fine with having only one car in the initial release.

If (and, apparently - when) there are more cars allowed, I would very much like to see it as an option. So that we might stay with one car, or select more than one. I'd probably opt for 2.

My brother and I used to attend stockers back in the old days, 60s and 70s.

Therefore, I would very much like to see car models (as nice looking as the ones you've displayed thus far!) from that era. Say, 1957 to 1975. Will this be possible?

And perhaps I am jumping the gun so to speak (IE, further along in the Dev Diary), but what will the actual racing display be like? I surely hope it won't simply be text-based scrolling. Even a periodic display would be OK, so long as we can follow the race as it progresses.
Unread 10-30-2014, 01:06 PM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshift View Post
Therefore, I would very much like to see car models (as nice looking as the ones you've displayed thus far!) from that era. Say, 1957 to 1975. Will this be possible?

And perhaps I am jumping the gun so to speak (IE, further along in the Dev Diary), but what will the actual racing display be like? I surely hope it won't simply be text-based scrolling. Even a periodic display would be OK, so long as we can follow the race as it progresses.
You can use any kind of car you wish in the display, so long as it fits into that pixel range (149x119 or thereabouts) and is a .PNG file.

The actual race display was loosely inspired by the RaceView feature from NASCAR, I really like the overview of that, modified to be made cleaner and even distinct and will include sound effects and lap by lap position updates.
Unread 10-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

I was actually going to ask if it was going to be close to what the trackpass app thing is. I love watching all that. Compliments the TV perfectly. Be pretty awesome if you could zone in on a driver and check out his throttle and brake, etc. I'm fine with the single driver for now as long as multiple will be added. I'm in on this regardless.
Unread 10-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Minor League

I understand Derek's dilemma here. While I'm sure he wants to include everything in the initial release, trying to do so can be a big mistake. When you're dealing with something as complex as auto racing, if you try to accommodate everyone's wishes you can easily end up doing everything poorly.

A perfect example of this is the initial release of FHM by OOTP. They tried to make a hockey sim that was all things to everyone and it ended up being a disaster where nothing was done well. They've alienated a large number of their customers and engendered a lot of ill-will. Hopefully they'll recover and the game will go on to be a success, but they certainly did themselves no favors.

I think Derek's approach of first getting a narrowly-focused core developed very well and then adding features in later additions is 100% the right strategy. Of course, the trick is deciding what features need to be in the core release. Is having the ability to have multiple drivers in a race a necessity, or is that an added complexity that can wait for a future release? Obviously there is a strong disagreement on that point.

There will always be another feature that somebody will think is essential, and ultimately Derek will need to decide where to draw the line. I wish him luck.
Unread 10-31-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
You can use any kind of car you wish in the display, so long as it fits into that pixel range (149x119 or thereabouts) and is a .PNG file.

The actual race display was loosely inspired by the RaceView feature from NASCAR, I really like the overview of that, modified to be made cleaner and even distinct and will include sound effects and lap by lap position updates.
That's one of the best features I've heard so far, I love RaceView and I think it'll be a great layout for this sim.
Unread 10-31-2014, 09:20 AM
All Star

I've been following a long here and there. This looks like it'll be an excellent racing sim. I enjoy seeing the screen updates and the features you've added. Can't wait to try it out when it becomes available. Keep up the great work, Derek!
Unread 10-31-2014, 12:57 PM
GDS Developer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero Firpo View Post
I understand Derek's dilemma here. While I'm sure he wants to include everything in the initial release, trying to do so can be a big mistake. When you're dealing with something as complex as auto racing, if you try to accommodate everyone's wishes you can easily end up doing everything poorly.

A perfect example of this is the initial release of FHM by OOTP. They tried to make a hockey sim that was all things to everyone and it ended up being a disaster where nothing was done well. They've alienated a large number of their customers and engendered a lot of ill-will.
Exactly! FHM was Exhibit A of caving in to pressure from some (not all actually) and trying to pile on too much too soon, and it ended up a train wreck. The producer Jeff admitted publicly they bit off too much and should have been more focused from the start, and it would have turned out very differently.

My goal here to to not repeat that mistake, and make it finely focused out of the gate so it can be the best racing management sim it can be, then building on that strong foundation later. I hope the 30% who voted not to buy the game based on this feature will reconsider and join me in building this game down what may be a conservative road, but hopefully a relatively bug-free and rewarding one.