Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Default Ambitious suggestion for future game: Towns/Counties

After listening to thousands of hours of podcasts and shoots, I have come up with an idea, an ambitious one, I dunno if its realistic even, but hey, you never know unless you ask.

So how about dividing regions further down into towns/counties? Especially from having listening to Jim Cornette regarding his time owning Smokey Mountain Wrestling (which I think is utterly profound knowledge to have for this sort of thing as he's the only individual owner fully opening up about the business), it seems that even Regional territories needed to be wary of which towns were being run. For instance, several have said if Cornette had secured Knoxville, he'd still be in business. He has also said part of Crockett's problem was going into towns they had little interest from but still costing a ton of money. Then, of course, was the big oil bust of the 80s that flattened Texas and Louisiana and not much else. So the idea would be to micromanage to the sub-region level.

Example: Dividing Mid-South into Louisiana, South Texas, Amarillo, Dallas, Houston. Dividing Tri-State into Philly, Pittsburg, Upstate New York, Metro New York, Long Island, Atlantic City, and Jersey.

Perhaps the size of the sub-region would put a hard cap on how big a venue you can get there. Like, maybe you need a certain size city/county to have a stadium that seats over 60,000 people. This would also allow a proper and clear distinction between Local, Small, and Regional promotions. A Local in central Illinois will probably still be unheard of in upper Minnesota until it starts being exposed there (just like Cornette explained when talking about towns he would run and why).

I have little else on this idea for the moment, it just kinda hit me and I was here already with another suggestion, so I decided to toss a couple pennies in there to scavenge.
Unread 08-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Phenom

I actually have wished for this idea for a lot of reasons, but here is my main one.

It allows me, with out creating a venue, to say that I'm running a specific area. Take Mid Atlantic Wrestling, in my head, I had always imagined them running in North Carolina, probably Charlotte or Greensburg, much like the old Crockett Promotions -- but instead Stanley Hall, their main venue, is actually in Maryland. Never knew that, but is cool to know.

I'd love to see a further breaking down of regions into sub-regions or something so you can try to better replicate things. If that can't happen, I'd love to see more venues in the different part of a region so that you have more options. I know I can always go into the editor and create them, but sometimes it's more fun.

On the subject of Cornette, his deep dives both into SMW and OVW are fantastic. Have you checked out the Back to the Territories series from Kayfabe Commentaries where he sits with different people and discusses a specific territory? If not, I highly recommend it.
Unread 08-14-2018, 10:06 PM
Super Star

I can answer this. I wanted things like Africa, Asia, South America in game and Adam indicated that game design and performance wise the number of sub regions was pretty much optimal. So to reflect South America which has 50 active small feds in the real world something would have to go, say Iberia and France combining to open a slot. So breaking regions down even more would potentially be a very difficult thing and might effect run times

I like what you are suggesting in theory but unfortunately it would mean more things the game would need to manage and that probably slows it down. It's one of those balancing acts for Adam.
Unread 08-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Phenom

I'll be honest when I say that I don't mind if it loads slower, but I'm probably in the minority there. I would love to see the game open up more to allow more regions/more workers, etc.., but I also understand the limitations and that it probably won't happen because of that. I can dream though!
Unread 08-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha2117 View Post
I can answer this. I wanted things like Africa, Asia, South America in game and Adam indicated that game design and performance wise the number of sub regions was pretty much optimal. So to reflect South America which has 50 active small feds in the real world something would have to go, say Iberia and France combining to open a slot. So breaking regions down even more would potentially be a very difficult thing and might effect run times

I like what you are suggesting in theory but unfortunately it would mean more things the game would need to manage and that probably slows it down. It's one of those balancing acts for Adam.
Curious as to if it depends on the type of specs your computer has. In which case, we already have the ability to turn off certain regions so why not allow that choice so users can play based on what their computer can run?
Unread 08-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Rookie

A way to turn off sub-regions, I like it. Good addition to the idea. It sounds like we might be at the TECHNICAL limits of TEW for this, though. Maybe.