Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Star

Default Improved Hiring Ideas

I've been back in TEW lately, making changes to a TEW2013 mod with 2016 updates. Here's some of the ideas I had:

Improved hiring ideas:

Instead of just having a big searchable list of potential hires, have your "able to hire" list restricted based on factors related to your size and prestige. If you're running a Southeast regional promotion, you don't have contact information for New York guys, your pool would be limited to southeast wrestlers.

Hiring pipelines: the exception to the above would be that if you employ someone with a relationship to a worker outside your region, anyone they know can be brought in. So if you sign Harvey Wippleman, you can get Sid Vicious on the phone. Basically the same way territory alliances let you bring in guys that might otherwise be off-limits, a relationship pipeline would let you bring in guys that might not ordinarily have a relationship with your promotion. Back in the territory days, passing someone along to a new territory was the norm, as Mick Foley talked about in the early chapters of his book. It would also allow you (or the AI, who needs to be smarter about hiring in general) to bring in groups, like Team Canada in TNA, or Eddie Sharkey's Minnesota guys, based on their shared relationship to a trainer or wrestler.

Smarter Goals for Hiring: in TEW2016, even with requesting raises, way too much of the motivator for hiring someone is just cash, even when it's less cash over more time. While that might make sense for a legend on the way down, it's pretty silly when Steve Austin accepts a deal with All Japan for five years making $5,000 a month over a WCW offer for $6,000 for 3 years. Right now the AI just sees that the first offer is worth more money, instead of considering that 3 years in WCW will lead to a bigger contract from WCW or even a bigger company, and that a lot of guys would rather settle down close to home if the money is even close.

Less guaranteed cash: this is maybe the biggest change I'd like to see. Right now it's hard to accurately re-create anything smaller than a very big indy, because ppa contracts are way too high: I think they're there to recreate merch and other costs, but the result is paying way more than actual salaries in basically any time in history. CW Anderson has talked about making $75 a night in ECW. WWF at its Hogan peak was based on a model of running a gazillion shows, so most performers were only making guarantees of $100 a night, with TV and other bonuses factored in. Especially for anything below cult, there should basically be an acknowledgement that if you're an enhancement, you're being paid in tacos, and if you're a regional name you're getting a hundred dollars and a plastic table to sell merch out of.
Unread 08-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
I've been back in TEW lately, making changes to a TEW2013 mod with 2016 updates. Here's some of the ideas I had:

Improved hiring ideas:

Instead of just having a big searchable list of potential hires, have your "able to hire" list restricted based on factors related to your size and prestige. If you're running a Southeast regional promotion, you don't have contact information for New York guys, your pool would be limited to southeast wrestlers.

Hiring pipelines: the exception to the above would be that if you employ someone with a relationship to a worker outside your region, anyone they know can be brought in. So if you sign Harvey Wippleman, you can get Sid Vicious on the phone. Basically the same way territory alliances let you bring in guys that might otherwise be off-limits, a relationship pipeline would let you bring in guys that might not ordinarily have a relationship with your promotion. Back in the territory days, passing someone along to a new territory was the norm, as Mick Foley talked about in the early chapters of his book. It would also allow you (or the AI, who needs to be smarter about hiring in general) to bring in groups, like Team Canada in TNA, or Eddie Sharkey's Minnesota guys, based on their shared relationship to a trainer or wrestler.

Less guaranteed cash: this is maybe the biggest change I'd like to see. Right now it's hard to accurately re-create anything smaller than a very big indy, because ppa contracts are way too high: I think they're there to recreate merch and other costs, but the result is paying way more than actual salaries in basically any time in history. CW Anderson has talked about making $75 a night in ECW. WWF at its Hogan peak was based on a model of running a gazillion shows, so most performers were only making guarantees of $100 a night, with TV and other bonuses factored in. Especially for anything below cult, there should basically be an acknowledgement that if you're an enhancement, you're being paid in tacos, and if you're a regional name you're getting a hundred dollars and a plastic table to sell merch out of.
I have a few thoughts about this I'd like to throw your way. In today's day in age, with Twitter and Youtube don't I have the ability to contact anyone? Regional promotions bring people in from out of the region on a regular basis. For instance, Jericho and Storm got booked in Smokey Mountain Wrestling when they were living and working in Canada all because Cornette received a tape in the mail.

I understand your point about the money guys make -- but the numbers in TEW have always been inflated, because most indy companies don't have the kinds of budgets TEW companies start with. We're looking at companies that start with six-figures in the bank when in reality, ECW was working with far less in the bank than say MAW does in the game.

All the numbers are inflated in TEW, so companies would have to be adjusted as well. Also, wrestling doesn't work like it does in the 1980s now where you could be working for a national company and just have a guarantee and were paid by the gate. Guys during Hogan's day and age were getting paid off a percentage of the gate. Typically one third of the gate went to talent and that was broken down based off your place on the card. That would be incredibly difficult to implement in a game, I think.

Though, that being said, I would love for most talent to be cheaper. Not enough guys are willing to take 200 or 300 a night!
Unread 08-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post
I have a few thoughts about this I'd like to throw your way. In today's day in age, with Twitter and Youtube don't I have the ability to contact anyone? Regional promotions bring people in from out of the region on a regular basis. For instance, Jericho and Storm got booked in Smokey Mountain Wrestling when they were living and working in Canada all because Cornette received a tape in the mail.
Tapes from young lions would also be another good way to make the feature work better. My point is, it should feel less like doing an excel spreadsheet search, and more like actually finding wrestlers organically in a way that encourages immersion.

Yes, in today's day, it's easier to get in touch with talent, but any mod set any time before 2010 could use a better hiring process that encourages actually finding people. And would also replicate the sort of "package deal" where you'd get a tag team or a manager thrown in along with a wrestler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post
I understand your point about the money guys make -- but the numbers in TEW have always been inflated, because most indy companies don't have the kinds of budgets TEW companies start with. We're looking at companies that start with six-figures in the bank when in reality, ECW was working with far less in the bank than say MAW does in the game.

All the numbers are inflated in TEW, so companies would have to be adjusted as well. Also, wrestling doesn't work like it does in the 1980s now where you could be working for a national company and just have a guarantee and were paid by the gate. Guys during Hogan's day and age were getting paid off a percentage of the gate. Typically one third of the gate went to talent and that was broken down based off your place on the card. That would be incredibly difficult to implement in a game, I think.

Though, that being said, I would love for most talent to be cheaper. Not enough guys are willing to take 200 or 300 a night!
Do you know that historical mods exist and are pretty popular? Saying repeatedly that "wrestling doesn't work that way anymore" kind of ignores why I want the feature I'm talking about. And I don't know that it's that difficult, or even that uncommon in the rest of the world, even now.
Unread 08-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
Do you know that historical mods exist and are pretty popular? Saying repeatedly that "wrestling doesn't work that way anymore" kind of ignores why I want the feature I'm talking about. And I don't know that it's that difficult, or even that uncommon in the rest of the world, even now.
I do know that historical mods exist -- because I play my fair share of them - but while the game is designed to allow it to be modded, it's also designed to play in the current eras that it has. Changing the money system to reflect whats real also means that you have to change how much money companies make -- and it also does not take in to account that until guys were getting a specific amount for an appearance, for most of wrestling's history they were paid based of the gate. Most had a minimum guarantee (for instance, the minimum in Dallas was, for years, $50), and you would make a percentage of money based off the house with the main events getting paid more money, etc.

I don't think that system can be properly replicated in a video game, nor is it a system that exists in today's market place spare show bonuses (which do exist in the game) so it's asking for a system to be created specifically for historical mods.

The game also has a lower ceiling for wrestlers on their wages. For instance, a mega star like Nicky Champion or Rocky Golden may make close to $60,000 a month in the game (though, I think Rocky Golden in my current Cverse game actually makes like $44,000 a month), and Champagne Lover is the highest paid wrestler in my game, I think, and he makes $89,000 (and some change) a month, which is just over a million bucks in the year. For comparison, Roman Reigns made something like 4 million last year.

My point for all of this is, the numbers are higher at the bottom and smaller at the top, so it evens itself out. The game is balanced so that while yes, lower wrestlers may make more in the TEW universe per appearance than they'd make in real life -- the companies also have more money than they do in real life. Only three companies in TEW 16 start with $100,000 or less in the bank: ACPW, MAW, and SAISHO [which all start with $100,000). 19 companies start with at least $250,000 and no more $1,000,000. 22 companies in the game start with at least $1,000,000. That's a whole lot of money for those companies. In real life, only two wrestling companies have that kind of cash flow, WWE and NJPW. Ring of Honor and Impact do not have that kind of cash on hand.

So from an argument's sake, the game has balanced the money. Yes, it can be frustrating (and I have been frustrated) when guys want money and you're like what the hell? But it balances out by having you make more money per show and your companies be worth more money, etc..

And I understand from the historical mod perspective it can be frustrating, but I think the game's money works pretty good for what it's supposed to do. The game is designed to be played with the current database -- and people are able to mod it.