Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Bowl Bound General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM
buckeyefan buckeyefan is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default recruiting

Has anyone had difficulty recruiting? I am still getting the hang of this game in general, but I am really struggling with recruiting. I almost never land the recruits that are interested in my program, even when I have selected the pitch that is very important...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 10-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Cooleyvol's Avatar
Cooleyvol Cooleyvol is offline
Phenom
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Union City, TN
Posts: 720
Default

I've been playing this game since its release and I'm just now really getting the hang of what to do during recruiting.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
fudgums fudgums is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Default

at first recruiting is very hard but once you find out a system that works for you, you will have very good classes every year
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 10-22-2007, 07:25 PM
dhouston1 dhouston1 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 22
Default

Do any of you have any strategies that you could post to help those of us who are having difficulties?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
jammy jammy is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Read your emails.
Go after only players who are also interested in you!
Read your emails.
Don't "go for broke" ... have middle of the road guys recruited as well.
Learn when to surrender and move on
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
hornfan hornfan is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 20
Default

What does others mean in one of the emails. It says name, interest, "others" and then offers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:00 PM
buckeyefan buckeyefan is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default

ok, allow me to rephrase my question then:

What is your average recruiting class size; and how many 4 and 5 star guys do you get?

right now I am able to land about 4-5 total and 1 5 star guy if i am lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
wareagle's Avatar
wareagle wareagle is offline
Low Minors
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 193
Default

Well I am in my sixth season at UAB and I have not landed a five star recruit yet but I have had decent classes.

In my third year (might be my best) I landed 12 recruits... of these, 2 were four stars, 8 were three stars, and two were two stars.... This same year I landed three transfers... two of these four stars, and the other three stars.

This said, all in all I have competed well in Conf USA, winning it my fifth year (when the above mentioned class were Jr/RS So).

Oddly enough, my class last year consisted on 10 recruits (all being three stars) after winning the conference. My guess is that Ala / Aub / UGA all had great years making my region recruiting that much tougher.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 10-24-2007, 01:21 AM
udlb58's Avatar
udlb58 udlb58 is offline
Low Minors
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
I've been playing this game since its release and I'm just now really getting the hang of what to do during recruiting.
Ya, win 50 games in a row
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
fudgums fudgums is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Default

iv had a system for a while and it gets my 5 star recruits and alot 4 star recruits. but i cant tell u it
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
mkpeak mkpeak is offline
Low Minors
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 114
Default Lol

Never recruit when tired or distracted.

You have to look at the schools being considered and to what degree they are being considered, analyze your recruiting opponents rosters, look where the player is from, and consider your current depth chart in terms of talent, # of players and class breakdown.

Doing all of the above will give you a good idea as to what is "Very" important to a player.

Another key is to get on a player early. If I am reasonably confident in what is important to a recruit I pitch it in the first week of recruiting, max recruit him, offer and accept a visit from said recruit asap.

I have 3 straight #1 ranked recruiting classes and am almost always top 10. But it's hard work and fairly time consuming. I spend an evening taking notes and developing a watch list before I begin recruiting the next evening.

Speaking of recruiting...I have a recruiting class to work on this evening.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
RyanCane26 RyanCane26 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Default

Does anyone think it hurts you if a player officially visits without having a pitch set? In week one I scout every player I've offered so I never put a pitch.. would that hurt me on the first 5 guys that visit
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
heywood63 heywood63 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCane26 View Post
Does anyone think it hurts you if a player officially visits without having a pitch set? In week one I scout every player I've offered so I never put a pitch.. would that hurt me on the first 5 guys that visit
I can't say that it would hurt at all because I do it a lot. Course you have to get your pitch in as fast as you can, but if I don't have a clue about a player I usually wait until the next week.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 11-11-2007, 10:03 AM
cubsfan23's Avatar
cubsfan23 cubsfan23 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
Default

I am not an expert, but in my MSU Dynasty (Started at Mississippi State and then got hired by Michigan State after 4 years), after 25 years I have about 15% 5 Star and 40% 4 Star recruits. I am sure there are lots of folks with better recruiting ideas, but I select the best 4 and 5 Stars that are passing (2.0), and have a 7 or better interest. I only go to a 3 Star recruit at a position when I can't get one of the above to sign. I always use "Chance to Win". Usually TE and FB are the toughest for me to recruit.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
Has anyone had difficulty recruiting? I am still getting the hang of this game in general, but I am really struggling with recruiting. I almost never land the recruits that are interested in my program, even when I have selected the pitch that is very important...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 11-15-2007, 12:34 AM
udlb58's Avatar
udlb58 udlb58 is offline
Low Minors
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan23 View Post
I am not an expert, but in my MSU Dynasty (Started at Mississippi State and then got hired by Michigan State after 4 years), after 25 years I have about 15% 5 Star and 40% 4 Star recruits. I am sure there are lots of folks with better recruiting ideas, but I select the best 4 and 5 Stars that are passing (2.0), and have a 7 or better interest. I only go to a 3 Star recruit at a position when I can't get one of the above to sign. I always use "Chance to Win". Usually TE and FB are the toughest for me to recruit.
Steve
Actually, it's a 2.2 GPA or a qualifying exam score
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Array [all_times_are_gmt_x_time_now_is_y]


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.