Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-27-2019, 07:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Ended up getting all 3. SC6 was meh, but Odyssey turned out ti be a gem. Did NOT expect that from f'n Ubisoft. I guess not having played an AC game since brotherhood made me crave this title. I really recommend it though it strays from the traditional AC experience and just turns you into a mass murderer instead. But if you like that timeframe you will love this.
Unread 08-06-2019, 09:50 PM
All Star

Question for the European gamers out there. Have seen some Tour de France games on PS Now when trying to decide what I want to play next. So I was wondering what y'all thought of these games and how they played. Are they management sims or are you riding the race yourself? Would they be worth the time for someone who doesn't really know the sport or particularly care to watch it? Been curious how such a game would work but haven't been able to talk myself into trying them yet. Should I look into changing that? I haven't done any sports games on Now since getting it in January so it owuld be something different at the very least.
Unread 08-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Hall of Fame

I used to be a megafan of those games back in the day, but I'm talking about 10+ years ago. At the moment the games are really just carbon copies of the last version, so I'd recommend getting one of the cheapest ones on Steam. It doesn't matter what year.

On PS they take a more "racing" approach, but nominally they are manager games quite like TEW. It's a lot of fun to race yourself but you can just sim the stages and focus on the management: who's riding when, when are the riders peaking, etc. Just get it on PC though. It's crazy to imagine it on PS. The only one I've played on console was the first one, and that was laughably bad. I almost won the TdF with Cancellara.
Unread 08-07-2019, 07:46 AM
Hall of Fame

Just heard that Yukes and 2K are no longer cooperating. This means we might see a second WWE game pop up, which has been ages (since the console three-way split, namely RAW, SD! and DoR).

Here's me crossing my fingers for something great, because lately their games have been mediocre imho. I've caved and purchased the last one relatively early, but it wasn't worth the price.
Unread 08-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyboy View Post
Question for the European gamers out there. Have seen some Tour de France games on PS Now when trying to decide what I want to play next. So I was wondering what y'all thought of these games and how they played. Are they management sims or are you riding the race yourself? Would they be worth the time for someone who doesn't really know the sport or particularly care to watch it? Been curious how such a game would work but haven't been able to talk myself into trying them yet. Should I look into changing that? I haven't done any sports games on Now since getting it in January so it owuld be something different at the very least.
I got the Pro Cycling Manager from last year. Has improved in the last couple of years but set-up is still the same. You do have a career mode now as well (<> management only mode). Replace the default DB with a better one (PCM Daily I think) and you got a decent (but still buggy) game.
Unread 08-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Just heard that Yukes and 2K are no longer cooperating. This means we might see a second WWE game pop up, which has been ages (since the console three-way split, namely RAW, SD! and DoR).

I hope if they do, it's a more arcade-y type of game. Like Wrestlemania The Arcade Game for a new generation.
Unread 08-30-2019, 01:23 AM
All Star

Default check it out?

Some of my newest ventures if anyone is interested

https://www.facebook.com/mrselfdestructgamer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483511248425419/
Unread 09-11-2019, 07:27 PM
All Star

Anyone else on Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled?
Unread 09-26-2019, 10:10 PM
Super Star

Just finished the Gears 5 campaign, it's.. short. Like really short, like finish it in one sitting short (though I didn't do this due to work and so on).

Looking back the game is still great but there's a lot of stuff that they out and out just don't wrap up and feel unfinished. I'm not going to go into any spoilery territory here, but I will say the "big" fight at the end that the Gears games usually give never comes (though they try and fail) and it's a shame.

Personally, I would have gone about it differently and the campaign could have been much better and longer but they went a different direction and honestly, as a Gears fan, I feel unfulfilled. This doesn't take away from the fun I had but I read somewhere that they were taking a more "storyline" based approach to Gears 5, when the Gears of War games (especially 1-3) have excellent campaigns and storylines, though 4's isn't amazing it has an excellent ending and 5 has an excellent beginning to tie up that ending but they shouldn't have changed the formula that was working. Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Overall, I'd recommend the game to Gears fans only, don't pick up this game without any experience of the previous games cause a) there's a lot of lore and history that you need to know to understand what's going on and b) this is not the type of game to start your experience of a franchise cause you will be confused and probably stop playing it. If you want to try Gears out play Gears 1 first and make your way to Gears 5.
Unread 10-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Hall of Fame

So... who's preordering the new WWE game? I know, I know. I got the game relatively early last year and barely played it and spend more time managing the rosters in Universe mode than anything else, but I'll play more this year damnit!

To be honest, the new DLC concept with thematic updates seemed missable at first, but then I saw the arenas. Good lord that looks awesome, though the novelty will wear off soon I reckon. Despite a bad track record and despite GM mode still isn't back in - next year they really don't have an excuse; it's mainly a couple of cosmetic changes and some programmed events, guys... - I think I might just preorder it and play it when it's been patched.

And there's just not many games out there for me this year (Gears5 is not for me at all). I still have a backlog from the last few years to get through after FINALLY finishing AC:Odyssey (150 hours?). I didn't get through the last segments of Atlantis as it was too much of a grind to progress. Not to "level" but the story segments are locked until you "clear" the map, which is ridiculous given the game has so many content. They don't need to artificially lenghten it at all. Still got Heavy Rain, Beyond:two souls, Divinity OS 2, and Pillars of Eternity 2. But I'll probably skip the latter as it's just too hard to immerse yourself into.
Unread 10-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Star

Quote:
So... who's preordering the new WWE game? I know, I know. I got the game relatively early last year and barely played it and spend more time managing the rosters in Universe mode than anything else, but I'll play more this year damnit!

To be honest, the new DLC concept with thematic updates seemed missable at first, but then I saw the arenas. Good lord that looks awesome, though the novelty will wear off soon I reckon. Despite a bad track record and despite GM mode still isn't back in - next year they really don't have an excuse; it's mainly a couple of cosmetic changes and some programmed events, guys... - I think I might just preorder it and play it when it's been patched.

And there's just not many games out there for me this year (Gears5 is not for me at all). I still have a backlog from the last few years to get through after FINALLY finishing AC:Odyssey (150 hours?). I didn't get through the last segments of Atlantis as it was too much of a grind to progress. Not to "level" but the story segments are locked until you "clear" the map, which is ridiculous given the game has so many content. They don't need to artificially lenghten it at all. Still got Heavy Rain, Beyond:two souls, Divinity OS 2, and Pillars of Eternity 2. But I'll probably skip the latter as it's just too hard to immerse yourself into.
I just got 2K19 from a 3 for 25 deal from Gamestop alongside Horizon Zero Dawn and another game I don't recall. I don't see paying full price for a 2K next year version.
Unread 10-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Major League

I always wait for the Deep Discount on the WWE 2k full-package version to get it for roughly $25-30 at around March of the next year.

That way, not only will the game be out long enough to patch out most of the bugs, but the majority of modding for that version will have been optimized enough by that point to also have less bugs than at launch.
As well as having WAY more CAWs, Arenas, and Belts available on CC than at launch.
Unread 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Yeah that way is the smartest way to go(for practically all games btw), which also limits frustration because somehow you just KNOW something will always be off. And the thing is that WWE2k19 still works fine and is relatively up to date. It baffles me that some people knowingly pay to get frustrated. There's 3 things I try to avoid in life:
1. Overpaying for things
2. Getting frustrated
3. Wasting my time
Funny enough you're doing all three at once when you preorder games nowadays. Yet people keep on rollin'.

The first image I saw was an entrance from Bayley, which ironically highlights the fact that the game is always outdated upon release (as she seems to have switched character). So why would anyone want to play as her previous persona while they have 2k19 or before? You want the new deal and while the community will create the attire, any new music will be completely off the menu, given they somehow cut support for mp3's for a decade now. I'm just saying that no one should be overly excited to play the game on day1 as there's really no benefit unless you crave for 'new' storyline content.

With just a week to go, there's no official gameplay videos yet, which is kind of a red flag to the quality of the game. We've seen cutscenes or entrances, but that's not what people want to see. I've seen cutscenes online where long hair is all over the place, which would piss me off. So I'm probably not preordering at all. And by the time it's 35-50% off you can get the DLC included for the same price as the original.

It's a pity that their sales keep them comfortably releasing the game yearly (as people seemingly buy it "no matter what", look at FIFA...). They should try a different approach and provide dynamic content with roster updates and more DLC packages with new workers. They're saving on development times (but let's be honest: they're half-assing these games so often) and you're still saving on cash.

Last edited by Blackman : 10-16-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Unread 10-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Hall of Fame

What interests me most is hearing that one of the long time developers is no longer working on the game (I want to say Yukes) so there's a slightly different set of hands working on this one. Could mean they're going to be overwhelmed and deliver a shoddy product. Could mean fun new ideas.

I bought the last version on Steam, but it ran in slow motion so I got a refund. Kind of expecting the same this time, and I doubt there will be a switch release. Probably not missing much, but as I probably haven't played a WWE game in a decade, I likely wouldn't be as frustrated as most. Novelty would be there.
Unread 10-17-2019, 12:16 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
And there's just not many games out there for me this year (Gears5 is not for me at all).
Same here. I was just thinking about that the other day. The last game I bought was Red Dead Redemption 2. I have beaten it twice now and I really have no interest in it anymore.

I have yet to beat Fallout 4 (despite having had the game since 2016), so I have been playing that a lot again. I was also thinking about going back to Witcher 3.

I really want another GTA or Elder Scrolls game but who knows when a new GTA will be coming out (GTA Online still makes them a ton of money, so they have no real reason to release a new game). The last time I read anything about Elder Scrolls it seemed like the earliest we would see that was in 2021 or 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self View Post
Probably not missing much, but as I probably haven't played a WWE game in a decade, I likely wouldn't be as frustrated as most. Novelty would be there.
Same here. I think the last WWE game I bought was WWF Smackdown that came out in 2000 for the original PlayStation. After that I just rented them and not very often. I just could never get into their games, I am not sure why that is the case.

I have a question to the people who do buy them. Do they follow the Madden model where they remove features for a few years and then bring them back as "new" features? That used to piss me off when Madden did that. It was the main reason why I stopped buying Madden (well that and the gameplay became dog crap).

With Madden I never got how there were games in the series that came out in the early to mid-2000's that were far better than the games that came out later (Not graphics wise obviously, but gameplay wise.). I always thought that the newer versions should be better than the older versions. Guess not in the world of EA.