Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Major League

I've been super into The Wire lately. It's an HBO original, but a few years old now and it available streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

If you've never heard of it, It's a classic cop show set in Baltimore. Amazing cast. Idris Elba is so good. Just started Season 3 and was pleasantly surprised to see the guy who plays Littlefinger show up pre-GOT. Vladimir Kozlov showed up as some silent muscle! I think he did the show before he got into pro wrestling.
Unread 10-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Living Legend

Thereís two types of people in the world, those who love The Wire and those who havenít seen The Wire.
Unread 10-21-2019, 01:27 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingRider View Post
I've been super into The Wire lately. It's an HBO original, but a few years old now and it available streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

If you've never heard of it, It's a classic cop show set in Baltimore. Amazing cast. Idris Elba is so good. Just started Season 3 and was pleasantly surprised to see the guy who plays Littlefinger show up pre-GOT. Vladimir Kozlov showed up as some silent muscle! I think he did the show before he got into pro wrestling.
It is so weird for me to see someone discover the Wire so many years later. I laughed a little at the Littlefinger sentence because when GOT initially came on the air I remember saying, "This show has Tommy Carcetti, the cranky guy from The Station Agent (Peter Dinklage) and Sarah Connor (Lena Headey)." To you he was Littlefinger on The Wire and to me he was Tommy Carcetti on GOT.

When the Wire aired I did not know that Idris Elba was British. I was thrown through a loop when I read that he was British, mainly because his American accent is so spot on. I was so used to British actors doing terrible American accents (Peri from Dr. Who is a very good example of what I am talking about) that I did not think any of them capable of pulling off such a good American accent.

Obviously I am not sure what shows you have watched but if you are into the Wire I have some I would recommend to you. Check out Homicide: Life on the Streets, it aired in the 1990's on NBC and it may come across as a little dated (I have not watched any episodes since they originally aired) but it was a great show and a lot of actors from it show up on The Wire. It was written and produced by David Simon who created the Wire.

Also check out the Corner which was a mini-series that proceeded the Wire on HBO and it was also written by David Simon. This show focuses on drug use and how it impacts family. I am not one to get emotionally attached to characters but this one got me.

Then there is David Simon's current HBO show The Deuce. This deals with some of the same elements that the Wire deals with. I am not sure how much I can talk about this show on here, I do not want to go against the TOS here. This show deals with NYC in the early 1970's up until the mid-1980's. More specifically Times Square back during that time, which was a hellhole back then.

Lastly, I would say check out OZ if you have not already done so. Most people would say The Wire or Sopranos were the best dramas on HBO and it is hard to argue that. To me OZ was always my favorite. When it first came on the air there was nothing like it on television. It was almost a shock to the system. Granted now it will probably come across as dated because we are used to seeing this sort of stuff on television, but it was such a great show.

Also, a lot of actors from OZ showed up on the Wire. Including Seth Gilliam who seems to show up on every television show I have watched in the past twenty years (OZ, Teen Wolf, Walking Dead, The Wire)
Unread 10-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Living Legend

A few actors from The Wire were also in the mini series The Kill Point. Which is an excellent bank robbery/hostage series.

Iíve been watching American Housewife a lot lately, but Iím a sucker for cheesy sitcoms.

Just started Genndy Tartarovskyís new series Primal. Super dark and violent

Last edited by Jaysin : 10-22-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Unread 10-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Living Legend

After seeing the trailer for season two I decided to check out Castle Rock. Enjoying it quite a bit so far.
Unread 10-28-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingRider View Post

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Never heard about this show plus I like Idris Elba as an actor. Thank God in my Pattaya estate here I have HBO working again, I had some problems with if for the last days. Thank you for the tip, now I have a new show to watch.
Unread 10-28-2019, 06:29 AM
Major League

Anyone else checking out Watchmen? I watched the first episode but haven't seen the second yet. Pretty good so far but I have a lot more questions than answers. That might not be a bad thing.

I haven't read the comic in like 10 years so trying to remember some of the finer details has been tricky. Hopefully it doesn't require all that much familiarity with the original source material.
Unread 10-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
It is so weird for me to see someone discover the Wire so many years later. I laughed a little at the Littlefinger sentence because when GOT initially came on the air I remember saying, "This show has Tommy Carcetti, the cranky guy from The Station Agent (Peter Dinklage) and Sarah Connor (Lena Headey)." To you he was Littlefinger on The Wire and to me he was Tommy Carcetti on GOT.
Not going to lie, upon initially watch GoT, I recognized Dinklage from Elf.

Quote:
When the Wire aired I did not know that Idris Elba was British. I was thrown through a loop when I read that he was British, mainly because his American accent is so spot on. I was so used to British actors doing terrible American accents (Peri from Dr. Who is a very good example of what I am talking about) that I did not think any of them capable of pulling off such a good American accent.
He nails the accent beautifully. It reminds me of the urban legend of Hugh Laurie's casting on House. The story goes that after the audition the director/producer said "That's what I'm looking for! An American!"

Quote:
Obviously I am not sure what shows you have watched but if you are into the Wire I have some I would recommend to you. Check out Homicide: Life on the Streets, it aired in the 1990's on NBC and it may come across as a little dated (I have not watched any episodes since they originally aired) but it was a great show and a lot of actors from it show up on The Wire. It was written and produced by David Simon who created the Wire.

Also check out the Corner which was a mini-series that proceeded the Wire on HBO and it was also written by David Simon. This show focuses on drug use and how it impacts family. I am not one to get emotionally attached to characters but this one got me.

Then there is David Simon's current HBO show The Deuce. This deals with some of the same elements that the Wire deals with. I am not sure how much I can talk about this show on here, I do not want to go against the TOS here. This show deals with NYC in the early 1970's up until the mid-1980's. More specifically Times Square back during that time, which was a hellhole back then.

Lastly, I would say check out OZ if you have not already done so. Most people would say The Wire or Sopranos were the best dramas on HBO and it is hard to argue that. To me OZ was always my favorite. When it first came on the air there was nothing like it on television. It was almost a shock to the system. Granted now it will probably come across as dated because we are used to seeing this sort of stuff on television, but it was such a great show.

Also, a lot of actors from OZ showed up on the Wire. Including Seth Gilliam who seems to show up on every television show I have watched in the past twenty years (OZ, Teen Wolf, Walking Dead, The Wire)
All of these are on my list to watch at some point. Particularly the Corner.
Unread 11-06-2019, 09:48 PM
Living Legend

Watching Bojack Horseman from the beginning. Third or so time Iíve seen the first season and I still crack up.
Unread 11-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Living Legend

The Mandalorian is ridiculously good.
Unread 11-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Currently watching: The Mandalorian, Counterpart S2, Rick & Morty S4, The End of the F*g World S2, Black Lightning S3 and His Dark Materials.
Unread 11-14-2019, 12:02 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
Currently watching: The Mandalorian, Counterpart S2, Rick & Morty S4, The End of the F*g World S2, Black Lightning S3 and His Dark Materials.
I like Black Lightning my only complaint is they sometimes play the background music too loud and it drowns out what the actors are saying. I have not really noticed it during this current season, but in previous seasons it was very noticeable. It got so bad that I started to watch it with the CC on because the was the only way I could understand what they were saying.
Unread 11-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Major League

While I dig that Black Lightning's gonna be part of the Crisis crossover next month, I'm a bit apprehensive about that because BL has such a separation from the other shows and feels fairly "insular" compared to them, which do semi-frequently operate outside the scope of their core cities (Batwoman being in the previous crossover is why I include her in the latter rather than the former).

Like, just as a hypothetical, if Kasnia from Supergirl and Markovia from Black Lightning had just been merged to be the same country, that would've been an interesting thread to tie BL to at least Supergirl.
Unread 11-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Major League

Yeah...first episode of Mandalorian was great. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Jon Favreau stuff.

Any one else watching Watchmen? How about Wu Tang: An American Saga on Hulu?
Unread 11-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Living Legend

Iíll probably check Watchmen out when the season is over.

Probably going to check out NOS4A2 after I finish Castle Rock. Anyone see either of those?

Also got Disney+, so probably going to watch Gargoyles and the 90s Marvel cartoons.