Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Super Star

You can still buy tickets for Friday's York Hall show, as part of ROH's UK tour. The first three rows are 80 A TICKET! Rows four and five are 50 A TICKET! Ridiculous pricing. You could see NJPW's top guys at a Rev Pro show for half this price.
Unread 10-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Rookie

So Maria Manic has officially resigned, maybe they will actually have her wrestle?
Unread 10-24-2019, 09:43 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
So Maria Manic has officially resigned, maybe they will actually have her wrestle?
They better have her do quite a bit, I think first time around we were all just supposed to be wowed by her aura by osmosis and it just wasn't happening.
OOOOOH!! "Maria Manic". I'm scared. The name sounds like a bad e-fed character and they should didn't do anything with her to make her feel meaningful enough to overlook that.
Unread 11-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Living Legend

Joey Mercury quit ROH and went on a rant online

https://www.bodyslam.net/2019/11/01/...ions-and-more/
Unread 11-02-2019, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Poor attendances. Rumblings of New Japan thinking twice about their partnership. Could be an exodus coming (Scurll, Rush, Bandido, Lee, Klein). According to Joey (backed up by Kelly Klein and BJ Whitmer) management is incompetent and Sinclair are doing nothing about it. They will be in a worse state than Impact by the end of the year if they aren't already.

Last edited by milamber : 11-02-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Unread 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
Poor attendances. Rumblings of New Japan thinking twice about their partnership. Could be an exodus coming (Scurll, Rush, Bandido, Lee, Klein). According to Joey (backed up by Kelly Klein and BJ Whitmer) management is incompetent and Sinclair are doing nothing about it. They will be in a worse state than Impact by the end of the year if they aren't already.
I'd say they are already in a worse state then Impact. Impact's book has really tightened up in recent years and the incompetents in their management were gotten rid of, plus they've build a really good roster. Not as good as AEW or New Japan obviously but still, it's a solid crew.

ROH meanwhile is run by incompetents and the guys with the purse strings don't care and talent is constantly being mismanaged. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them actually show up on Impact (or AEW, or MLW or even NWA Powerr) sometime in the future.
Unread 11-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Super Star

It's a similar situation to TNA years back in that you cannot question the ability of the talent. Great people and great wrestlers getting a raw deal from the people in charge. They are dying too. Look at this attendance: https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/st...29693257175041

Even for a nothing show, it's amazing how so few people will part money to see their product. They're on the road to nowhere at the moment and partially, as cappyboy said earlier, it's because they price their shows like they are the best promotion in the world and yet that's not been the case for somewhere close to a decade now.
Unread 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootinie View Post
They're on the road to nowhere at the moment and partially, as cappyboy said earlier, it's because they price their shows like they are the best promotion in the world and yet that's not been the case for somewhere close to a decade now.
And I wish this were a new problem. Or even a comparatively new program like the over-reliance on brand names from outside the promotion. But there's always kind of been this cliquey, elitist air over Ring of Honor. Back before Sinclair bought the company, I literally couldn't follow them. Just as folks were describing AEW as a t-shirt company the first half of this year, it felt back then like RoH was a DVD company. For a fan in a market where they didn't hold shows, you pretty much had to throw large sums of money into videos in order to follow the promotion closely. Granted that was pretty much every indy at the time but it meant more with RoH because they were the one everyone wanted to see.

It wasn't until Sinclair come along and started putting RoH on local syndie stations that it became easy to follow them. And for a while that was good. But then around the time of the SCUM angle and Jay Brisco getting stripped of the World Title over social media controversy, a new problem sprung up. Let an emergency tournament be needed. Or a creative substitution become necessary. Any event that might radically alter the landscape and you might as well not visit wrestling corners of the Internet at all if you were a TV only fan. Whole tournament fields and such could be announced and dissected ad nauseum online before any need was ever demonstrated by the TV show.

And then there's now. Where TV is essentially "let's show you clips of what your betters who have Honor Club got to see live a couple weeks ago." Where a show that used to be presented as a mini-card unto itself and feel current enough is mostly an infomercial for a service that may not be in every fan's budget. Even TV staples like the Top Prospect tournament are behind the velvet rope now. If that were merely an act of ego based on outdated laurels, that would be bad enough. But for a fan on a budget, that feels like them just being true to a darker corner of their history.

And by no means do I suggest this is RoH's only problem. The over-reliance on outside stars has been an ever-present issue over the last five years. Questionable booking moves and short shrifting of guys has been going on far too long. The issues are many. But those other problems just make this one all the worse. If there's ever a moment to be big timing your own audience and being the status symbol of your field, it's not when your house is a shambles as RoH's is right now. Should the worst happen, RoH wouldn't be the first company that mistake killed off. In any field. Nor would they likely be the last. But it would be all on them for being so narrowly focused.
Unread 11-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyboy View Post
And I wish this were a new problem. Or even a comparatively new program like the over-reliance on brand names from outside the promotion. But there's always kind of been this cliquey, elitist air over Ring of Honor. Back before Sinclair bought the company, I literally couldn't follow them. Just as folks were describing AEW as a t-shirt company the first half of this year, it felt back then like RoH was a DVD company. For a fan in a market where they didn't hold shows, you pretty much had to throw large sums of money into videos in order to follow the promotion closely. Granted that was pretty much every indy at the time but it meant more with RoH because they were the one everyone wanted to see.

It wasn't until Sinclair come along and started putting RoH on local syndie stations that it became easy to follow them. And for a while that was good. But then around the time of the SCUM angle and Jay Brisco getting stripped of the World Title over social media controversy, a new problem sprung up. Let an emergency tournament be needed. Or a creative substitution become necessary. Any event that might radically alter the landscape and you might as well not visit wrestling corners of the Internet at all if you were a TV only fan. Whole tournament fields and such could be announced and dissected ad nauseum online before any need was ever demonstrated by the TV show.

And then there's now. Where TV is essentially "let's show you clips of what your betters who have Honor Club got to see live a couple weeks ago." Where a show that used to be presented as a mini-card unto itself and feel current enough is mostly an infomercial for a service that may not be in every fan's budget. Even TV staples like the Top Prospect tournament are behind the velvet rope now. If that were merely an act of ego based on outdated laurels, that would be bad enough. But for a fan on a budget, that feels like them just being true to a darker corner of their history.

And by no means do I suggest this is RoH's only problem. The over-reliance on outside stars has been an ever-present issue over the last five years. Questionable booking moves and short shrifting of guys has been going on far too long. The issues are many. But those other problems just make this one all the worse. If there's ever a moment to be big timing your own audience and being the status symbol of your field, it's not when your house is a shambles as RoH's is right now. Should the worst happen, RoH wouldn't be the first company that mistake killed off. In any field. Nor would they likely be the last. But it would be all on them for being so narrowly focused.
He wasn't stripped of the title over a social media controversy. When he was stripped of the title it was because he'd tried to leave the company as champion (or at least that's what I'd heard) and they did an injury angle to cover for it. The social media controversy came later and rather then costing him a title ROH actually gave him a second title run a little while after that. I remember because that was the first time I stopped watching ROH.
Unread 11-08-2019, 01:10 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDavidson View Post
He wasn't stripped of the title over a social media controversy. When he was stripped of the title it was because he'd tried to leave the company as champion (or at least that's what I'd heard) and they did an injury angle to cover for it. The social media controversy came later and rather then costing him a title ROH actually gave him a second title run a little while after that. I remember because that was the first time I stopped watching ROH.
Okay. So a fuzzy memory caused me to merge two events into one. We're both discussing the same time frame. And it doesn't change the greater point that during said period the people who could go to shows and pay for content had one timeline and people who had to rely on TV had another. Or that the two timelines were so off-kilter it made the TV-dependent audience look foolish by comparison.
Unread 11-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Rookie

Sinclair Broadcasting announced that they have purchased the Fox Sports channels. And guess what? Ring of Honor gets shown on Friday Night at Midnight.

This right here is a major problem. If Sinclair has any hopes of Ring of Honor reaching new people and actually growing, they need to get them in a better time slot.