Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-14-2019, 03:19 AM
Living Legend

I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday afternoon and it was decent. Nowhere near as good as the hype for it. It was what it was, an good homage to the 1960's. I mean where else would you ever hear Efrem Zimbalist Jr.'s name being mentioned? The ending was terrible.

I would say that Quentin Tarantino is losing a step but I said that after Inglourious Basterds and then he came back with Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight and it reminded me just how good he is. For me I think he should stop making movies that have real life people in them. This is from a more me standpoint because I have friends who are very historically ignorant and they believe that the stuff happening in these movies might be true.

For instance upon seeing Inglourious Basterds, my buddy asked me if that is how the leader of World War II Germany (I can't remember if his name is banned from this site) died. After laughing, I told my buddy how he really died. My buddy did not believe me and had to look it up on his phone (Yes some of my friends are really that dumb).

I will say this though, Margot Robbie was once again the scene stealer of the movie. With The Fearless Vampire Killers being the only movie I ever saw Sharon Tate in, I cannot speak on how good of an impersonation Margot did.

She looked amazing as Sharon Tate, especially when she wore the black turtle neck sweater, white skirt, and white boots. Man she is beautiful and she is a great actor as well.
Unread 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Hall of Fame

Decided to check out Captain Marvel after all, and I don't really get the whole "SJW" craze behind it. Must've been tied to her real-life persona and quotes perhaps. In the movie - which was average but watchable - she does stuff other superheroes have done in the past. They are not shoving feminism in your face like the Batwoman trailer. There is some in the music selection, but in a way, it makes sense.
Unread 08-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Decided to check out Captain Marvel after all, and I don't really get the whole "SJW" craze behind it. Must've been tied to her real-life persona and quotes perhaps. In the movie - which was average but watchable - she does stuff other superheroes have done in the past. They are not shoving feminism in your face like the Batwoman trailer. There is some in the music selection, but in a way, it makes sense.
The movie wasn't "Bad". Heck, it made a billion dollars, I don't care, that alone should tell you it wasn't bad because with those numbers people watched it more than once. The acting wasn't bad either. I took it as she was brainwashed and certain emotions aren't supposed to come out. Overall I enjoyed the movie. I know probably a few hundred mill is made just because it's a Marvel movie in the MCU, since I felt that Shazam was as good if not better... sorry, can't help the comparison "Captain Marvel vs Captain Marvel" thing in my head, not to mention Wonder Woman was a better movie overall as well.

Umm... I can't really explain the Aquaman thing, although I love it making a billion (and being top DCU movie). Not sure it was any better Than Shazam, or Thor Ragnarok.
Unread 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Living Legend

Shazam was great. I really enjoyed it.
Unread 08-14-2019, 11:57 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djthefunkchris View Post
The movie wasn't "Bad". Heck, it made a billion dollars, I don't care, that alone should tell you it wasn't bad because with those numbers people watched it more than once. The acting wasn't bad either. I took it as she was brainwashed and certain emotions aren't supposed to come out. Overall I enjoyed the movie. I know probably a few hundred mill is made just because it's a Marvel movie in the MCU, since I felt that Shazam was as good if not better... sorry, can't help the comparison "Captain Marvel vs Captain Marvel" thing in my head, not to mention Wonder Woman was a better movie overall as well.
Making a billion dollars is not proof that the movie was good. Avatar made that and the movie was decent but nothing great. Just like movies bombing does not mean they are terrible. It's a Wonderful Life was not successful when it first came out, but now it is considered a beloved classic.

I hardly ever put much stock in how movies do at the box office or how critics rate movies (A lot of critics now have a clear agenda in the movies they praise vs the movies the do not.).

As I have said before, Captain Marvel benefited greatly because it came out a few weeks before End Game. A lot of fans went and saw Captain Marvel because the character was going to be in End Game and therefore fans thought they had to see her standalone movie first.

Granted I cannot prove my theory, but I would have loved to see Captain Marvel come out like a year to six months before End Game just to see how much box office it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Shazam was great. I really enjoyed it.
I still haven't gotten a chance to see Shazam. It is at the cheap movie theater near me, but it has always been playing at times I cannot go see it.
Unread 08-15-2019, 01:21 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
I would love to see them do a movie with Mickey and company. When was the last one of those to come out? The last Micky related movie that I can think of off the top of my head was Who Framed Roger Rabbit and that was only a cameo.
There was a Three Musketeers movie with Mickey, Donald and Goofy that was pretty fun.
Unread 08-15-2019, 03:19 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Making a billion dollars is not proof that the movie was good. Avatar made that and the movie was decent but nothing great. Just like movies bombing does not mean they are terrible. It's a Wonderful Life was not successful when it first came out, but now it is considered a beloved classic.

I hardly ever put much stock in how movies do at the box office or how critics rate movies (A lot of critics now have a clear agenda in the movies they praise vs the movies the do not.).

As I have said before, Captain Marvel benefited greatly because it came out a few weeks before End Game. A lot of fans went and saw Captain Marvel because the character was going to be in End Game and therefore fans thought they had to see her standalone movie first.

Granted I cannot prove my theory, but I would have loved to see Captain Marvel come out like a year to six months before End Game just to see how much box office it did.
I definitely think the timing gave it a bump, but I mostly attribute its extraordinary success (above the usual MCU millions) to how it was positioned as 'important'. Much like Black Panther, the marketing pushed that this as a new exciting hero; the first to represent a particular (large, underserved) group and people felt like that was an important enough thing to leave the house to go see. Earnestly too. My gut instinct is to always go cynical, thinking people are posturing, but no. Folks were genuinely excited to see the first headlining female in the MCU.
Unread 08-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Super Star

Saw 'Us' the other day. Fun movie with a believably set up WTF moment.

'Patriots Day' was also very good in keeping with what really happened while adding a character to tell the story through.
Unread 08-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Living Legend

Watching Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus and laughing hysterically.
Unread 10-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Super Star

I don't care what the haters say, I liked Rambo Last Blood.
Unread 10-06-2019, 12:54 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk8492 View Post
I don't care what the haters say, I liked Rambo Last Blood.
The Rambo movies are just like horror movies in that most critics will never like them no matter how good they are. I did not see the last Rambo movie yet (I saw Joker which was good but very depressing) but everyone that I know who saw it gave it rave reviews.

I think there is a pretty big gap between reviewers and the general public as to what folks like. Anything that is overly PC or an art house is usually praised.

For instance Midsommar was praised as being this great horror movie and I will admit I fell prey to the critics and decided to see it. I mean it is rear that a horror movie gets praise and that was the driving force for me to go see it. My thought process was, "If critics are praising a horror movie, which is something they hardly ever do, it might be worth checking out."

Oh boy do I wish I never paid to see that steaming pile of horse dung. The movie just went on and on and to me just came across as a cheap art house ripoff of the Wicker Man. No not that crap that Nicholas Cage made, I am talking about the Edward Woodward/Christopher Lee classic.

Circling back to Captain Marvel, there was a rumor online that Disney was using the marketing budget for the movie (Captain Marvel) to buy tickets and thus inflate the box office numbers. Now I would not put it past Disney to do this, but it could also just be, and I hate to use this term, fake news.

Last edited by BHK1978 : 10-06-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Just fixing typos and adding words I left out
Unread 10-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Minor League

On the subject of Rambo I also saw and enjoyed Last Blood though I saw it at the end of a Rambo marathon. Watching all of the movies that way I must say while none of the movies are as great as the first one (that also has Stallone’s best acting performance) they’re all pretty consistent in quality and story. My only complaint with Last Blood was it seems like the Villains pretty much forget about him for seemingly a week or so after talking about wanting him dead but movies will be movies.
Unread 10-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Super Star

Quote:
I think there is a pretty big gap between reviewers and the general public as to what folks like. Anything that is overly PC or is usually praised.
Yep. A good example of this is Warcraft (2016). 28% on Rotten Tomatoes, with an average rating of 4.3/10, but rated 6.8/10 on imdb.
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Living Legend

Finally watched Venom tonight. Loved it.
Unread 11-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Living Legend

Watched Spider-Man: Far From Home this evening. Loved it. Not as much as Homecoming or Into The Spider-Verse, but still a fun ride.