Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-09-2019, 12:13 AM
Living Legend

As a Giants fan I knew going into the season they were not going to be great. But I also was not expecting them to be that bad. Oh well they will probably suck for the next five to ten years, win a Super Bowl and then the cycle will start all over again. Such is the way of the Giants.
Unread 09-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
As a Giants fan I knew going into the season they were not going to be great. But I also was not expecting them to be that bad. Oh well they will probably suck for the next five to ten years, win a Super Bowl and then the cycle will start all over again. Such is the way of the Giants.
Didn't realize this until I heard it today, and had to double check. Eli is a .500 QB for his career. Unbelievable.
Unread 09-17-2019, 12:23 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQI13 View Post
Didn't realize this until I heard it today, and had to double check. Eli is a .500 QB for his career. Unbelievable.
Wish I could say I'm surprised. But it's not like you can hang that all on him as much as many would like too. The Giants have struggled to remain a fully constructed team over the course of Eli's tenure. When they've had the good years, they were terrific. But all too often during Eli's career, there's been that gaping hole. If it wasn't the run game it was the receiving corps. Get the receiving corps firmed up, the O line was allowed to go to seed. Eli's done all he could. Can only imagine what he might have done with a coaching staff and front office as committed as the ones in New England or Pittsburgh. I know the Giants are often held up as a similarly model franchise but sometimes I wonder if they should be given the inconsistent results they compared to teams like the Steelers or the Kraft-era Patriots
Unread 09-17-2019, 01:01 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyboy View Post
Wish I could say I'm surprised. But it's not like you can hang that all on him as much as many would like too. The Giants have struggled to remain a fully constructed team over the course of Eli's tenure. When they've had the good years, they were terrific. But all too often during Eli's career, there's been that gaping hole. If it wasn't the run game it was the receiving corps. Get the receiving corps firmed up, the O line was allowed to go to seed. Eli's done all he could.
They always seem to have a terrible OL. He seems to get battered around so much that I am honestly surprised he is still able to play.

Quote:
Can only imagine what he might have done with a coaching staff and front office as committed as the ones in New England or Pittsburgh. I know the Giants are often held up as a similarly model franchise but sometimes I wonder if they should be given the inconsistent results they compared to teams like the Steelers or the Kraft-era Patriots
Well only the Packers and the Bears have more championships than the Giants, so I can see why they are always held in high regard. Also, the do play in the largest media market in America so that helps keep them relevant even when they actually are not relevant (Same goes for the Jets but the Jets have been bad for so long they just do not have the same prestige).
Unread 09-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Wish I could say I'm surprised. But it's not like you can hang that all on him as much as many would like too. The Giants have struggled to remain a fully constructed team over the course of Eli's tenure. When they've had the good years, they were terrific. But all too often during Eli's career, there's been that gaping hole. If it wasn't the run game it was the receiving corps. Get the receiving corps firmed up, the O line was allowed to go to seed. Eli's done all he could. Can only imagine what he might have done with a coaching staff and front office as committed as the ones in New England or Pittsburgh. I know the Giants are often held up as a similarly model franchise but sometimes I wonder if they should be given the inconsistent results they compared to teams like the Steelers or the Kraft-era Patriots
Oh, for sure. I'm not pinning the blame on him. Though he's the QB, so he gets it anyway, right?

In all seriousness, it was just something that despite all of those bad years recently, it's still 2 time SB MVP Eli Manning. He can't be a .500 QB. Yet there he is.

As to your point of the franchises, Colin Cowherd had something that made sense on that. Sometimes the brand is so powerful that people can't accept it's no longer great. The example he gave (and the numbers support it): People believe that NO's offense is dynamic - when they've been average at best since Thanksgiving last year.
Unread 09-17-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQI13 View Post
In all seriousness, it was just something that despite all of those bad years recently, it's still 2 time SB MVP Eli Manning. He can't be a .500 QB. Yet there he is.
I've always been a guy who thought Eli was over rated which is a shame, cause I like Eli. You look at his two superbowl years and, yeah, I'll give the man credit for arguably having his best year of his career in 2011, 4900+ passing yards (highest of his career), 29-16 TD-Int ratio (16 is a lot of interceptions though), 61% completion rate. That's pretty good. He also balled in the post season that year (1200+ passing yards, 9-1 TD:Into ratio and 65% completion rate).

2007 is vastly different. He led the league in interceptions with 20 and only had 23 TD's. 3300+ yards but threw the ball 529 times for a completion rate of 56% with 5.6 average yds/throw. Not including his rookie season, this was his second worst year for QB rating. He was terrible this year. He was pretty good in the playoffs to be fair (where I guess that's where it matters), but with how good that defense was, if the Giants got 20 or more points, he was more than likely winning.

My point is just because a QB wins a SB MVP or two doesn't mean that he is a great player. This is a team game and there have been many bad, average and above average QB's and players who have rings and SB MVP's (Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Malcolm Smith, Santonio Holmes). I'm not surprised to hear that Eli is .500 QB in his career.
Unread 09-18-2019, 03:12 AM
Living Legend

I was thinking about this the other day, mainly due to the Antonio Brown signing (There is something fishy about that signing. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that he was in contact with the Patriots prior and then he intentionally acted like an ass to get the Raiders to cut him). Back in the late 1990's-early 2000's the Boston faithful were bitching about how it was not fair that the Yankees were buying their championships. How it was not fair that the Yankees kept on winning every season. The Yankees were the "Evil Empire" and all that was wrong with baseball.

Odd how that same fanbase does not seem to mind the Patriots winning all of the time.
Unread 09-18-2019, 09:16 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
I was thinking about this the other day, mainly due to the Antonio Brown signing (There is something fishy about that signing. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that he was in contact with the Patriots prior and then he intentionally acted like an ass to get the Raiders to cut him). Back in the late 1990's-early 2000's the Boston faithful were bitching about how it was not fair that the Yankees were buying their championships. How it was not fair that the Yankees kept on winning every season. The Yankees were the "Evil Empire" and all that was wrong with baseball.

Odd how that same fanbase does not seem to mind the Patriots winning all of the time.
Can't agree with you at all on the Antonio Brown thing. For better or worse, I can't envision him having that kind of artifice. For all the things you can get on his case about, Brown shows you exactly who he is. He's just the classic diva receiver and people will put a lot of negativity on those guys whether it actually fits or not. Just because the attitude rubs them the wrong way. And I will admit there have been times I've been just as guilty of that as anybody else.

As for the Boston fan thing, I've referenced living within the swirl of Boston fandom and the different standards each team gets. This phenomenon you're describing reminds me of old time hockey fans. They'd all complain about the thuggishness of a Marty McSorley, a Chris Nilan or a Tie Domi until that guy signed for their team. Then it became "He may be a goon but he's OUR goon." The Boston fans may have complained about the Yankees buying titles but that's because the big rival was doing it. If you believe Kraft is guilty of the same, he's doing it in their name so its okay.
Unread 09-19-2019, 01:09 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
As for the Boston fan thing, I've referenced living within the swirl of Boston fandom and the different standards each team gets. This phenomenon you're describing reminds me of old time hockey fans. They'd all complain about the thuggishness of a Marty McSorley, a Chris Nilan or a Tie Domi until that guy signed for their team. Then it became "He may be a goon but he's OUR goon." The Boston fans may have complained about the Yankees buying titles but that's because the big rival was doing it. If you believe Kraft is guilty of the same, he's doing it in their name so its okay.
That is the way it is with most fans bases though. It is always when the team I cheer for does something like that it is okay, but when it is another team it is not okay.

The thing with Boston fans is they somehow try to paint themselves as the perpetual underdog (even when it is not the case). Like they somehow have morals that are above all others. However, when they do the very same stuff that they accuse others of doing you never hear a peep about it.
Unread 09-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Phenom

So I think we can all agree at this point that there is something medically wrong with Antonio Brown's mind and I suspect it has something to do with that hit from Vontaze Burfict in the playoffs where he tried to take Brown's head off.
Unread 09-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Living Legend

Browns are number one in the AFC North

*Edit* Minshew magic! Jags win even without Ramsey!

Last edited by Jaysin : 09-29-2019 at 08:07 PM.