Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Minor League

I'll echo Wolf. I think the new format really makes the monthly events "pop" in a way that sets a really nice rhythm and pace for your storylines. You've got a solid wrestling show going, and storylines seem to naturally develop, in a way that things aren't predictable, but they're not out of the blue, either. I feel like you're hitting a real stride in your storytelling

Opening Match: ??? vs Cherry Bomb Shockwave Title match
I think Perez vs. Cherry is a money match for a midcard title, and a good way for CB to put over a younger talent as she nears the end of her career. So whoever Cherry selects, I think she manages to escape with title in hand.

Match 2: Etsuko Arihyoshi vs Maribel Mercado
Maribel probably needs the win more than Etsuko at this point. I think Etsuko puts up way, way more of a fight than Maribel expects, and the quest to impress Kass continues.

Match 3: Juana Huracán & Pamela Rojo vs Anderson & Snyder
If there's a wedge forming between members of the Jaguar Clan, a loss to the steady, if not spectacular, Anderson & Snyder would be another crack in the foundation.

Match 4: Teresa Perez & Gemmei Oonishi vs Special Edition
Ronin 3 is dangerous, but they're not built as an invincible force - particularly if Jillian Jarvis isn't in the match. Perez picks up a win and makes herself look like more of a threat to Cherry Bomb's championship.

Match 5: Higa vs Spectre
Higa isn't Spectre's main target, and I don't think she (kayfabe) brings quite the same intensity as she might otherwise. Which is not a good idea when taking on Higa.

Main Event: Guardians vs The Untouchables Tag Team Title match
Intriguing. Why run the same match twice, and so soon? I don't think you're getting cold feet on a Guardians tag team run yet. There's a possibility that Foxxy LaRue is signing with a bigger company, I suppose, but I don't think that's it. Maybe it's just a match you know you can count on to deliver in a weekly show main event?

Bonus Questions:
Who does Cherry Bomb picks as her next opponent?
Cherry picked a legit opponent last time. Now I think she pulls a Steph Blake and picks on Aguila Azul Celeste.

How many titles change hand?
It's good to change titles occasionally on a weekly show, but I don't think there's really a build for any titles changing hands. So I think we have zero changes this time out.

Tie Breaker: What’s the attendance? (Last time in the Mid West, QAW sold out the Starland Ballroom for a 2,200 gate. )
I'm guessing you're going for a larger venue? So I'll say 2,450.
Unread 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM
Major League

The Wrestling Gazetteer

Army of One Event Review

Billy Barton

This is the event review for the Army of One show, Monday week 1 of December in Huntsville, Alabama. 2,753 people found their way to the Fairgrounds for the show. You can see that it was a smaller show from the number of big names getting the night off - no Paige Croft, no Chitose Ariwara, no Jillian Jarvis, to name three. But at the same time, we get Cherry Bomb’s fifth title defense and Guardians’ third.

/Billy Barton

Hannah Potter Cherry BombShockwave Champion 
Show opens in Hannah Potter’s office. Cherry Bomb is there with the GM, and the question of Cherry’s next opponent has just been broached when the door swings open and Ariel Breaks is there, alerting Hannah of a fight going on in the locker room, between Spectre and Higa. Running out to snuff out that fire, Hannah turns to Cherry and tells her, she picked a good opponent last week, so Hannah offers her to select her next opponent as well. She doesn’t stick around to hear Cherry’s choice, but we see Ariel standing there, and Cherry giving her a long look, then smiling to herself with the look of a fox left alone in the hen house..
Segment Rating: D+

Shockwave Championship

Cherry BombShockwave Champion
Ariel Breaks vs Cherry Bomb (c) Shockwave Title match
For a few moments, it looks like Ariel can actually hang with the Shockwave champion, deftly dodging big clotheslines as she runs the ropes and hitting Cherry with a couple of drop kicks, but she soon gets a reality check as Cherry’s hard hitting offense gets rolling, and when Ariel is hit with Cherry’s finisher the Cherry Bomb, Ariel’s already quite out of it, giving Cherry a convincing win.
Cherry Bomb wins by pinfall in 6:18
Match Rating: D+

Maribel Mercado Killer Kass 
Much like in the past, Maribel wants to show Killer Kass that she’s worthy of joining Bad Girls Inc, but Kass blows off Maribel. Once the match starts however, we still get a shot of Kass watching the match on a tv screen backstage with detached interest..
Segment Rating: D+

Etsuko ArihyoshiMaribel Mercado 
Etsuko Arihyoshi vs Maribel Mercado
Initially Maribel does well as it seems she has Etsuko’s number, but overconfidence leads to showboating, which allows Etsuko to catch her off guard and start a come back that culminates in a Canadian Destroyer that has Maribel out cold.
Etsuko Arihyoshi wins by pinfall in 8:59
Match Rating: D+

Pamela Rojo Juana Huracán Hannah Potter 
Pamela Rojo and Juana Huracán seeks out the GM Hannah Potter and informs her that they are forming a tag team together. Hannah ask them what they want. They shrug, saying all they want is to compete, so give them a strong opponent to test themselves against and show they should be in the title picture. Hannah agrees and books them to face Anderson & Snyder.
Segment Rating: C

Juana HuracánPamela RojoAva AndersonLily Snyder 
Juana Huracán & Pamela Rojo vs Anderson & Snyder
It’s hard fought match, Anderson & Snyder using every dirty trick in the tool box, but Juana and Pamela give almost as good as they take. Not cheating, but ruthless killer instinct. The match ends with Juana on the outside suplexing Lily Snyder into a crowd barrier, leaving Ava alone in the ring with Pamela Rojo who hits her running power bomb and covers Ava for the 1-2-3.
Pamela Rojo wins by pinfall in 9:49
Match Rating: C-

Hannah Potter Cherry BombShockwave Champion 
Backstage, Hannah Potter calls in Cherry Bomb to her office and berates her for her choice of opponent earlier during the night. Cherry defends her choice, pointing out Hannah gave no specifications about what kind of opponent to choose. Hannah then says it’s over with, Cherry choosing her own opponents. Instead she says, Capitano should be eager to get one back at Cherry after her betrayal back in September. Cherry does not look happy, though you can tell she’s not afraid of Capitano either.
Segment Rating: C-

Teresa PerezGemmei OonishiCharity SweetDeborah Young
Teresa Perez & Gemmei Oonishi vs Special Edition
By and large, Charity and Gemmei cancels out each other, as often providing high flying offense as ending up in terrible peril leaving Teresa Perez to face the towering Deborah Young. It looks like it can only go one way with the monster heel dominating the ring, but Teresa combines flashy offense with scrappy savviness which means it always feels like she has a shot - even when she’s being hoisted in the air for a power bomb - which is exactly what happens, only she attempts to counter into a hurricanrana which Young is able to resist with pure strength, but on the rebound she’s tricked thinking Teresa is trying to do the same thing again, but instead she’s spun off her feet into the Around the World armbar. Looking desperately to her ring corner for Charity to rescue her, there is nobody in sight as Gemmei and Charity has laid each other out on the outside, and Deborah taps out.
Teresa Perez wins by submission in 9:54
Match Rating: C-

BB: While Teresa and Gemmei never teamed as a tag team before, it was obvious how well well they gel together. If the Birds of Prey somehow doesn’t work out for Gemmei, this pairing could have a great future.

Talia QuinzelWorld Champion Claire Winters 
Talia Quinzel and Claire Winters take the ring in possession, Talia running down her opponents from last week, proclaiming this the era of the Untouchables. After a while of describing how great they are, Talia is interrupted by a music theme blasting out:

CapitanoTag Team Champion Foxxy LaRueTag Team Champion 
With the tag team titles on their shoulders, Capitano and Foxxy LaRue comes out. They give credit to Talia for the World title defense, but reminds them that as far as tag teams go, it’s been well established that the Untouchables are not in fact, untouchable. Talia and Claire gets angry and claim Capitano and Foxxy had the referee on their side, got lucky, any other excuse they can come up with. In the end, Capitano asks how many chances they need, and they agree to another title match, tonight.
Segment Rating: B-

HigaSpectre /w Dharma Gregg Killer Kass 
Higa vs Spectre /w Dharma Gregg & Killer Kass
What started out as an argument back stage turns into a scrappy grudge match where Spectre tries to put Higa in a submission hold and Higa tries to connect Spectre’s head with the ground. The big turn in the match happens when Dharma Gregg distracts the referee, allowing Killer Kass to briefly insert herself in the match, but Higa dodges the haymaker Kass aimed at her, having it hit Spectre instead. That allows Higa to hit Spectre cleanly with the Higa Green Driver and that’s good for the win.
Higa wins by pinfall in 16:11
Match Rating: C

CapitanoTag Team ChampionFoxxy LaRueTag Team Champion Talia QuinzelWorld ChampionClaire Winters Juana HuracánPamela Rojo
Guardians make their entrance and are on their way down the ramp when they’re attacked from behind by Talia Quinzel and Claire Winters. They start beating down on the champions, but are soon interrupted as Pamela Rojo and Juana Huracán run in and break up the fight. Capitano and Foxxy thank them, they shake hands, but it is clear from body language and facial expressions that Guerreros Azteca are very interested in the belts the Guardians are wearing.
Segment Rating: C

Tag Team ChampionshipTag Team Championship

CapitanoTag Team ChampionFoxxy LaRueTag Team ChampionTalia QuinzelWorld ChampionClaire Winters
Guardians (c) vs The Untouchables Tag Team Title match
The match plays surprisingly straight, Claire and Talia starting out hot, hoping to take advantage of the beating they gave Capitano and Foxxy before the match, doing their best to cut the ring in half but otherwise not a terrible lot of underhanded tactics. As the match goes on, the Guardians slowly work their way back into the match. Talia often looking dominant in the ring but Foxxy going toe to toe with her looks strong enough that the idea of a challenge for the world title does not seem completely unreasonable. In the end, Talia looks fed up of being mobbed by Capitano and Foxxy working so well in tandem that she tags in Claire and pretty much abandons her partner in the ring to her fate while Talia spends the last moments of the match berating front seat fans that has been booing her and Claire. Meanwhile, Claire has been hit by a sequence of big attacks from both Foxxy and Capitano, culminating with a Captain’s Order, and Capitano covers Claire for the pin.
Capitano wins by pinfall in 17:27
Match Rating: C+

Perhaps concerned that Talia might be out for blood, Capitano and Foxxy make a reasonably hasty retreat, celebrating their win on the way out.

Melody 
Left in the ring is the knocked down Claire, and a fuming Talia, when the big screen blinks on, and Melody appears, seemingly sitting in a booth in a bar somewhere. She asks if it isn’t time for Talia to focus on the title that she does hold instead of the one that got away. She’s beaten Claire, and now she wants a match against Talia.

Talia flat out refuses, but Hannah Potter comes out from backstage and says that with Melody’s track record in QAW and her strong performance last time out, she’ll be a good opponent for Talia’s next title defense, and the match is booked for Army of One two weeks from now, but already next week, they’ll meet, but in a tag team match.
Segment Rating: C+

Event Rating: C+ (67)

Last edited by Dr_Avalanche : 06-17-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Unread 06-18-2017, 03:51 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
I'll echo Wolf. I think the new format really makes the monthly events "pop" in a way that sets a really nice rhythm and pace for your storylines. You've got a solid wrestling show going, and storylines seem to naturally develop, in a way that things aren't predictable, but they're not out of the blue, either. I feel like you're hitting a real stride in your storytelling
Thank you very much! That means a lot. There was a mental hurdle I got over when I decided I would only write out the segments I really cared about. They will primarily happen at the monthly shows, but I think there will be one at a weekly show two weeks from now, if I remember correctly.

Opening Match: Ariel Breaks vs Cherry Bomb Shockwave Title match

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWolf101 View Post
So that was a suckers bet. Interesting that Cherry is getting outperformed recently. I wonder if she is starting her decline. Even so, I don't see her losing (I don't think Perez would cash in yet).
As far as I can tell, still no sign of decline. She even improved in some performance attributes recently. QAW just have a rockin’ good roster of wrestlers…

Maybe I should have had it as a bonus question whether Teresa cashed in her title match opportunity, but with her booked in another match already I thought it was fairly transparent that she wasn’t.

Quote:
I think Perez vs. Cherry is a money match for a midcard title, and a good way for CB to put over a younger talent as she nears the end of her career. So whoever Cherry selects, I think she manages to escape with title in hand.
I think you are at the very least partly correct. Cherry is very useful no matter what region we happen to be putting up shows in, and Teresa is a show stopper.

Match 2: Etsuko Arihyoshi vs Maribel Mercado
Quote:
Kass is not impressed.
No. No, she’s not.

Quote:
Maribel probably needs the win more than Etsuko at this point. I think Etsuko puts up way, way more of a fight than Maribel expects, and the quest to impress Kass continues.
*sigh*, Maribel has a bright future, but the card is so stacked. A win would have made sense, but I think Etsuko is more important to me, despite the lack of a storyline. Maribel will just have to keep chasing that big win.

Match 3: Juana Huracán & Pamela Rojo vs Anderson & Snyder
Quote:
I'm liking how this story is building, and this would be a good follow up. I'm trying to figure out who Anderson & Snyder remind me of, as a team that is always a threat no matter how much they lose.
It’s not a one to one match, but in my mind they’re a bit Gallows & Anderson minus the toilet humour. I feel I could start giving them a push at any time and their wins would feel believable.

Quote:
If there's a wedge forming between members of the Jaguar Clan, a loss to the steady, if not spectacular, Anderson & Snyder would be another crack in the foundation.
The Jaguar Clan is changing, but maybe not the way it seemed before this week’s show.

What I *kind of* regret is that they didn’t lose the previous match against Anderson & Snyder, but what’s done is done.

Match 4: Teresa Perez & Gemmei Oonishi vs Special Edition
Quote:
So of course the one time I go against my Teresa fandom it comes back to bite me. If Perez is going to go against Cherry at some point, she needs some momentum back, so even though they are not a named team, I'll go with Birds of a Feather.
Alright, I give. If Higa and Gemmei are Birds of Prey, Teresa and Gemmei are Birds of a Feather. It’s a kind of symmetry I like. I really like Teresa as a singles competitor, it’s a little troublesome how good chemistry she has tag teaming with all kinds of people. It makes it tempting to keep her in these tag teams.

Quote:
Ronin 3 is dangerous, but they're not built as an invincible force - particularly if Jillian Jarvis isn't in the match. Perez picks up a win and makes herself look like more of a threat to Cherry Bomb's championship.
Ronin 3 might be changing too. It’s true though. Like Anderson & Snyder, Special Edition has kind of turned into midcard gatekeepers. You both pin pointed exactly what this match was all about. Reminding that Teresa is a class performer, when pushed a border line main eventer.

Match 5: Higa vs Spectre
Quote:
I have no confidence in this pick. If the show was in the Mid South, no way I could see Spectre winning. I don't even know if Higa would agree to lose this match. At the same time, what a better way to cement Spectre as a threat than have her topple Higa.
There was a bit too big difference in status between the two. Had I let Spectre go over, there would have been a one woman riot. I think if I had done this match in more long form, it would have looked clearer that this was the start of a new feud/fascination for Spectre as she kind of moves on from Capitano, at least for the time being.

Quote:
Higa isn't Spectre's main target, and I don't think she (kayfabe) brings quite the same intensity as she might otherwise. Which is not a good idea when taking on Higa.
She is now. From a booking perspective, Capitano simply had too much to do, and Higa gets to pick up the baton. There is a kayfabe reason for it, which I hope I’ll be able to show eventually.

Main Event: Guardians vs The Untouchables Tag Team Title match
Quote:
For whatever reason? That's either very meta or there's something going down at the next show. This realy could go either way, and though you are striving to get more clean finishes, I'm thinking something weird happens here.
Quote:
Intriguing. Why run the same match twice, and so soon? I don't think you're getting cold feet on a Guardians tag team run yet. There's a possibility that Foxxy LaRue is signing with a bigger company, I suppose, but I don't think that's it. Maybe it's just a match you know you can count on to deliver in a weekly show main event?
It was very meta. While booking this show the game crashed for me, I used the recovery function, booked the show again, and somehow got a bit confused where I was in certain storylines which meant we got Guardians vs the Untouchables Part 2 (and Huracán & Rojo vs Anderson & Snyder Part 2). I think I was able to explain the existence of those matches reasonably well, but it was a pure mistake.

Kayfabe I justify it as being practically a house show with a couple of matches they had performed well just two weeks earlier, so it was “safe” booking.

Bonus Questions:

1. Who does Cherry Bomb picks as her next opponent?

Quote:
Ariel Breaks, because heels don't stay honorable for long.
In the head of Cherry Bomb.

Quote:
Cherry picked a legit opponent last time. Now I think she pulls a Steph Blake and picks on Aguila Azul Celeste.
Exactly correct reasoning, wrong target, but AAC would also have been a good choice.

2. How many titles change hand?

Quote:
Huh, I'm going to say none, but why do I have a sneaking suspicion that you wouldn't ask unless there was going to be one.
Nah, I ask that all the time so I can surprise you a little the day there is one.

Quote:
It's good to change titles occasionally on a weekly show, but I don't think there's really a build for any titles changing hands. So I think we have zero changes this time out.
I have a set of guiding principles that has sort of grown over time. The World title is primarily and almost always defended on the big PPVs and often once between those at one of the weekly shows, but more than two defenses per month is rare. All the other belts are up whenever I feel like it and can potentially change hands whenever. There is sort of an inofficial third tier of shows. Beside the events, there are first the weekly shows at home in the Mid South, and then there are the weekly shows on tour. I think there is a falling scale of likelihood of a title change between these tiers, but I never want to say never, or the title matches become too predictable.

Tie Breaker: What’s the attendance? (Last time in the Mid West, QAW sold out the Starland Ballroom for a 2,200 gate. )

Quote:
Seems like either the economy or the industry is in decline in the US (maybe both) but I'll still say 2,400.
Correct. They are both in sharp decline (though still not in terrible shape - economy is at a C-, wrestling industry a B-)

Prediction Results:

MrWolf101: 5/6 matches, 2/2 bonus points
kingjames: 4/6 matches, 1/2 bonus points

Congrats to MrWolf101. I have a small prize for you I'll PM shortly.

Card for Army of One Week 2 December

Held at the Ranch of San Antonio

Pre-show Match 1: Bessie Psycho vs Jillian Jarvis
Pre-show Match 2: Thea Davis vs Lucy Trigg
Pre-show Match 3: Águila Azul Celeste vs Jaguar Queen

Opening Match: Ariel Breaks vs Charity Sweet /w Deborah Young

Ariel seems particularly easy to pick on, and Ronin 3 likes to pick on people. But is a crack starting to show in the Ronin 3?

Match 2: Chitose Ariwara, Etsuko Arihyoshi & Maria Guest © vs The Franchise Players Shockwave Trios title match

An even month after losing the trios titles, the Franchise Players finally get their rematch against Chitose’s fox squad.

Match 3: Birds of Prey vs Guerreros Azteca (Rojo & Huracán) vs Top Dogs Tag Team 3-way Top Contender match

The Untouchables thoroughly defeated, it is time to select a new challenger for the tag team straps.

Match 4: Capitano vs Cherry Bomb Shockwave Title match

Maybe Cherry Bomb’s toughest opponent yet, and the one most emotionally invested. But will Teresa Perez use her option to insert herself in the match? Or even replace Capitano?

Main Event: Melody & ??? vs The Untouchables

For the first time, Melody faces off with Talia in the ring, one week before their World title match. All she has to do is find someone willing to team up with her against the destructive Untouchables.

Bonus Questions:
  • Who is Shockwave Champion after the show?
  • Who teams up with Melody? (It’s someone currently on the roster)

Tie Breaker: What’s the Attendance (Last time in the Mid South attendance was 8,886)

Last edited by Dr_Avalanche : 06-18-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Unread 06-19-2017, 12:45 AM
Phenom

Good to hear that Cherry isn't in decline. I think by this time in my game she was already sub-40 in stamina, so definitely a better destiny roll here. She is a legtimizing force, even when outperformed, though I'm sure the latter says more about her opponent than her.

I guess there are worse fates for Teresa than being someone that people have great tag team chemistry with. After all, it allows you to keep her in different feuds when you don't have anything for her on the singles scene. Plus, who knows, she could catch fire in one of those tag feuds and that will help you launch her to a World title reign (I can dream I know ).

I can see what you mean by Anderson & Snyder reminding you of Anderson & Gallows. It's probably the best current comparison that can be made, but at least neither Anderson nor Snyder have to go bald to be legit.

Pre-show Match 1: Bessie Psycho vs Jillian Jarvis
At least Bessie will still have a great name after Jarvis hurts her.
Pre-show Match 2: Thea Davis vs Lucy Trigg
Thea gets a win! I'm interested to see how both of your new signing fair since they appear to be randomly generated.
Pre-show Match 3: Águila Azul Celeste vs Jaguar Queen
I feel like this is a bit of trolling here. What happens when a stoppable force meets a moveable object? Really just picking off of personal preference. I believe Celeste has more to offer, though storylines seem to dictate that Jaguar Queen needs the win.

Opening Match: Ariel Breaks vs Charity Sweet /w Deborah Young

This was actually a little tough for me to pick, but I think Ariel will be in building mode for quite awhile. Meanwhile, Charity gets an opportunity to see what she can do in singles competition.

Match 2: Chitose Ariwara, Etsuko Arihyoshi & Maria Guest © vs The Franchise Players Shockwave Trios title match

Enough time has past since the the champs won the Trios titles, so it wouldn't feel strange for the Franchise Players to win the titles back here, but I'll say no title change quite yet.

Match 3: Birds of Prey vs Guerreros Azteca (Rojo & Huracán) vs Top Dogs Tag Team 3-way Top Contender match

Ah! Honestly, I had each team as my pick at some point. Each can make a case for having a good feud with the Guardians, but I feel like Top Dogs are the most natural feud for the champions. Rojo & Huracán might remain in the mix somehow though.

Match 4: Capitano vs Cherry Bomb Shockwave Title match

Perez's option looms over this, but I don't think she is ready to cash in yet. Maybe she watches the match from the front row, only to have Cherry Bomb put on an impressive display in beating Capitano.

Main Event: Melody & ??? vs The Untouchables

Creative control makes me think Melody isn't losing this one. I think Talia ultimately comes out on top in this feud, but Melody can stagger her way to victory in this one to build some heat for the eventual blow off match. Interesting with Talia abandoning Claire during the last show, though I'm not sure if Claire will look for revenge quite yet.

Bonus Questions:

Who is Shockwave Champion after the show? Ah, Perez has the briefcase, and I don't think you would restrict yourself to having the title switch on a PPV-like event. Still, Cherry Bomb is walking out Shockwave champ.
Who teams up with Melody? (It’s someone currently on the roster) I was going to say Lauren Easter until you said it was some on the roster. Chitose seems to be the best fit, but I'll go a little out of left field and say Paige Croft, thinking you are planting the seeds for a Talia vs Paige feud down the road.

Tie Breaker: What’s the Attendance (Last time in the Mid South attendance was 8,886) Even with the decline in industry/economy, your shows are strong, so I'll go 8,900.
Unread 06-20-2017, 03:10 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Pamela Rojo wins by pinfall in 9:49
Unread 06-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Major League

So, reading a bit between the lines it sounds like you like Pamela Rojo a bit, yeah?

I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks, leaving on Thursday. I *think* that's too early to get another update out the door so the diary is likely to see a bit of downtime. Though you never know. Last time I was on vacation I spent the whole time just writing.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to be sure to get in on the prediction contest don't linger, but at the same time be prepared updates might be a while.
Unread 07-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Major League

The Wrestling Gazetteer

QAW In Review - December through February

Billy Barton

This is a summary of events, storylines, big matches and news from backstage of QAW from the months of December 2018 through February 2019.

December:

Cherry Bomb  Teresa Perez 
Cherry Bomb defend her Shockwave title against Ariel Breaks in a farce of a title match. The next week she loses the title to Teresa Perez. Behind the scenes, Cherry Bomb is very unhappy with the booking decision, and receives a lot of heat for botching a move in the match, injuring Perez in the process. She’s being asked to take the rest of the month off, in hopes that things will cool down. For her part, Teresa Perez is out of commission for a month with a torn pectoral.

Charity Sweet 
Charity Sweet’s storyline keeps developing where her soft spot for the rookie Ariel Breaks divides the Ronin 3. The storyline would continue into the new year.

Chitose Ariwara Etsuko Arihyoshi Maria Guest 
Fox Squad (Ariwara, Arihyoshi & Guest) successfully defend their trios titles against the Franchise Players. Signs start to show of a crack between Brooke Tyler, Anderson & Snyder.

Pamela Rojo Juana Huracán 
Guerreros Azteca, Pamela Rojo and Juana Huracán turn heel, attacking the Birds of Prey after a match.

Melody Talia Quinzel 
Melody has a program with Talia Quinzel for the World title, but at QAW Naughty or Nice ultimately fails to take the belt in one on one ladder match after interference from Claire Winters. Behind the scenes, we learn that Talia has twisted her knee, and will be out for four weeks.

Spectre Higa 
Spectre takes an interest in Higa and they start feuding.

Killer KassSpectre Foxxy LaRue Higa 
Naughty and Nice, the new annual event is a success draws 9,389 people to the Ranch of San Antonio for the big Christmas event. The unusually risque show (for QAW at any rate) is well received despite (or thanks to) its mildly scandalous presentation. The little Santas helpers wrestling outfits were particularly popular. In different events, Top Dogs, Foxxy LaRue and Higa win the right to future title matches.

January 2019:

Cherry Bomb 
A week before she’s slated to return from her paid time off, Cherry Bomb hands in her papers, resigning from QAW.

Fox Squad successfully defend their trios titles against Ronin 3, who show poor cohesion as Charity Sweet doesn’t seem to be on the same page as the other two members. Two weeks later they again defend their titles, this time against a Jaguar Clan team consisting of Jaguar Queen, Pamela Rojo and Juana Huracán.

Purple Viper Capitano 
The old simmering feud between Purple Viper and Capitano flares up again, and they face off in a couple matches culminating at New Beginnings in a mask vs hair match. Purple Viper cheats her way to victory and shaves the hair off Capitano afterwards.

Foxxy LaRue 
At New Beginnings, Foxxy LaRue calls in her title shot in a match against Talia Quinzel for the World title, but comes up short.

At the same event, Higa and Spectre face off in a Last Woman Standing Match. During the match, Higa accidentally tears off Spectre’s mask, revealing that behind the mask is her nemesis from back in Japan, Shiori Jippensha. While Shiori is upset to have been revealed, the surprise is enough to throw Higa off her game enough to tip the match in Shiori’s favor, but what should have been the end of their feud now seems to only be the start of it.

Purple Viper 
With Teresa Perez back from her injury, Purple Viper waste no time challenging her for the Shockwave title, but by the skin of her teeth Perez manage to retain.

Less than two months after the Women’s Wrestling Alliance was formed, it now appears to be dead in the water. After an initial exchange where Melody went on loan to QAW in return for Brooke Tyler to NOTBPW, the Canadian promotion announced that they were pulling out of the alliance, expressing displeasure at how little they had gotten out of the alliance. In the end they even cancel the loan of Brooke Tyler halfway through the contract, only using her for three of the six agreed upon appearances she was signed for.

February:

Brooke Tyler Ava Anderson Lily Snyder 
After another failed attempt at the trios titles, Brooke Tyler blames the failure on her teammates and in particular Ava Anderson, and attacks her in the ring. Lily Snyder steps in to defend her friend, and the Franchise Players have split up. Over the next couple of weeks, Ava and Lily transitions from heels to babyfaces, still rough and tumble, but giving respect to hard working opponents.

Charity Sweet Brooke Tyler 
Charity Sweet keeps being harassed by the remainder of Ronin 3, and her problems are compounded when Brooke Tyler takes her place in the gang, and eager to impress her new want one-up the torment, but in Ariel Breaks, Lily Snyder and Ava Anderson Charity eventually find a group of friends willing to stand up for her. There is even signs of romance, or at the very least close friendship budding between Charity and Ariel.

Juana Huracán Pamela Rojo 
At the new February PPV “Bloody Valentine”, Guerreros Azteca take revenge for their previous loss to the Guardians and capture the tag team titles for the Jaguar Clan.

Teresa Perez Claire Winters Brooke Tyler 
Shiori Jippensha complains that her Bad Girls Inc sister Cherry Bomb lost her Shockwave title in a “shitty multi women match”, and if Teresa Perez thinks that was an honorable way of winning the title, she should defend her title in the same way. So at Bloody Valentine, Teresa defend her title in a 4-way ladder match against Shiori, Claire Winters and Brooke Tyler, but somehow manages to retrieve the strap before anyone else.

Melody Claire Winters Talia Quinzel 
Melody returns, challenges Talia to fight her one more time, and fight clean this time, without the aid of Claire Winters. Talia agrees to a rematch on condition that it is a no DQ, no countout match, but the stipulation is added that if Claire Winters interferes, Talia will lose, and she will lose the title. That leads to a couple of comedy segments where Claire “blackmails” Talia to treat her like a princess ending in Claire being escorted onto a flight to Cancun over the event weekend. The match at Bloody Valentine is a brutal affair, Talia retains and Melody says her farewell to the QAW audience for this time.

Title holders at the end of February:

World Championship
World Title:
Talia Quinzel, 5 defenses since October 2018

Shockwave Championship
Shockwave Title:
Teresa Perez, 3 defenses since December 2018

Tag Team Championship
Tag Team Titles:
Guerreros Azteca (Juana Huracán & Pamela Rojo), 0 defenses since February 2019

Shockwave Trios Titles:
Fox Squad (Chitose Ariwara, Etsuko Arihyoshi & Maria Guest), 5 defenses since November 2018

/Author's notes: Well, taking a break from writing is dangerous, because it can remind you how nice it is to NOT write. Talking with MrWolf101 about it, I got to think about what my goals with the diary actually is. The idea that it would be endless, without any end in sight was a demoralising insight. I see two possible milestones that could function as end game for the save. Either when QAW reach Cult status, or perhaps more realistically, when the company signs a TV deal. At current pace, that would be about 3-8 years of diary writing before I hit either goal. I don't know if I'll be writing diaries in three years from now, but I'm confident I won't be plowing eight years into this diary in its current form.

SO, I've decided to essentially speed run the game. Storylines become even more blurry in shape, but I think I'll keep reporting the progress something like this, in 3-month chunks. I'll present storylines in broad strokes, title defenses, news and tidbits as they happen. It is possible I flesh out some story developments into a full post if I find it particularly interesting, but I think it's more likely to happen with behind the scene stories.
Unread 07-14-2017, 05:37 AM
Minor League

It's sad to see so many great developments, events and storylines not get the proper extended presentation, but I totally understand your point of view. Been running and presenting (elsewhere) my own Road to Glory game for over 13 in-game years now and I just struck a TV deal, which means 5 shows per month to write up. It can be exhausting.

That said, you're still great as a booker and presenter, so even if it's a speedrun summary, I'll take what I can
Unread 07-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Major League

I totally get that. My first instinct when I came to this realization was that "this is it", that I'd be done with the diary entirely. That there would be no point if I abbreviated even more than I had already done, but I think I realized that it would at the very least have a value for myself in forcing myself to maintain some semblance of story coherence even if I play much more fast and loose with storylines now. And for those that are interested in what happens to these characters going forward it provides at least a bare minimum.
Unread 07-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Major League

The Wrestling Gazetteer

QAW In Review - March through May

Billy Barton

This is a summary of events, storylines, big matches and news from backstage of QAW from the months of March through May 2019.

March

Juana Huracán Pamela Rojo Jaguar Queen Hannah Potter Maribel Mercado 
The newly turned heel Guerreros Azteca make a point of showing the new power dynamic in the Jaguar Clan. The Jaguar Queen might sit on the throne, but it is Huracán and Rojo that make the decisions. Together, they strongarm the general manager Hannah Potter, reminding her who originally paid her paycheck, previously in the employ of the Jaguar Clan to treat her old benefactors more favorably, and as part of that, QAW start making regular visits to Mexico, putting on a monthly show in Tijuana. Guerreros Azteca themselves headline the show, defending their new tag team titles against Birds of a Feather (Perez & Oonishi). Maribel Mercado fails spectacularly in her attempts to join Killer Kass’ gang, come running back to the Jaguar Queen who perhaps in her first act of not seeming hopelessly ineffectual accepts Maribel back with magnanimous grace, and together they make up the new tag team “High Society”. It’s not like they put the world on fire, but they do start to pick up the occasional win.

Teresa Perez Killer Kass   
At the following show, Teresa Perez retain the Shockwave title against Maribel Mercado but is attacked afterwards by Killer Kass, Shiori Jippensha and Lucy Trigg, Shiori demanding a match against Teresa for the Shockwave title. Teresa responds the next week by rejecting the challenge, but thanking them for the reminder that she still has unfinished business ruining Bad Girls Inc after what they did to her and Christy Higgins. The following weeks, Teresa will interfere in Killer Kass’ matches anytime it looks like she’s about to win, a storyline that get a bit sidetracked in April but culminates at Memorial Day Mayhem in May - more on that below.

At the big March finale Ides of Madness all the titles were on the line. Fox Squad retains the trios titles against Ronin 3, but without Jillian Jarvis, replaced with Lucy Trigg, who seems to have loyalty to nobody.

Killer Kass Teresa Perez Purple Viper 
Capitano faces off against Killer Kass and wins - thanks to Teresa Perez interference. Teresa Perez herself defends her Shockwave title successfully against Purple Viper in one of the best matches of the year.

Higa Gemmei Oonishi Charity Sweet Jillian Jarvis Brooke Tyler Deborah Young 
Guerreros Azteca drop the tag team titles against Birds of Prey, Fuyuko Higa and Gemmei Oonishi capturing their first straps in QAW. The storyline of Charity Sweet leaving Ronin 3 seemingly culminates when Charity stands up to Jillian and challenges her to settle things once and for all in a cage match. It does not turn out anything like what Charity wanted, Brooke Tyler and Deborah Young both manage to invade the cage, but it establishes Charity as a true babyface, the underdog that won’t quit.

Talia Quinzel Foxxy LaRue 
The match everyone talked about afterwards however was the world title match between reigning champion Talia Quinzel and Foxxy LaRue. The match, fought under Last Woman Standing rules ended up a mayhem as Quinzel injured LaRue during the match, but no worse than LaRue chose to work through it. In the next sequence, LaRue returns the favor, injuring Quinzel in a move so bad that the two decide on the spot to call an audible, changing the intended winner from Talia to Foxxy LaRue. QAW has a new world champion, for the fifth time, more than anyone else, Foxxy LaRue. Afterwards LaRue caught quite a bit of flak backstage for the move that injured Quinzel, but others meant that it was the inexperienced Quinzel that had braced herself the wrong way. After the match, LaRue was out for a week with her minor injury while Quinzel considered surgery for her torn bicep, but in the end chose to wait it out, taking two months off to recover.

April

Jaguar Queen Juana Huracán Pamela Rojo 
During April, Capitano and Killer Kass continue to feud, but Teresa Perez keep interfering, and soon the pestering is enough that Kass shift her attention to Perez instead.
In Tijuana, Perez wins by DQ against Brooke Tyler, that way successfully defending her Shockwave title, while Fox Squad fall to the Jaguar Clan, allowing Jaguar Queen to raise the trios titles in QAW for the first time with the aid of Gurreros Azteca.

Jillian Jarvis 
Jillian Jarvis win the right to Foxxy LaRue’s first World title defense in a 3-way match against Paige Croft and Killer Kass, with Teresa Perez *again* ruining Killer Kass shot at a day in the sun.

Brooke Tyler 
Brooke Tyler starts a campaign for another Shockwave title shot, and when she finally gets it at Roll the Bones, Killer Kass is there for payback, brutally attacking the reigning Shockwave champion on the way to the ring. The match itself is a one-sided affair as Brooke Tyler ragdolls Perez around the ring until she has no fight left in her. Tyler wins the Shockwave title.

Capitano Higa 
Also at Roll the Bones: The Miss Mexico trophy is moved to be defended in April at Roll the Bones in a big battle royal. Capitano wins it despite the Jaguar Clan coming out in numbers. Birds of Prey somehow retain the tag team titles against Top Dogs but are brutally assaulted by their opponents after the match. Higa takes another crazy stunt, injuring herself in the process. Fortunately it’s a relatively minor injury to the eye socket, and Higa is back in matches two weeks later.

Foxxy LaRue Jillian Jarvis 
Foxxy LaRue defend her World title against Jillian Jarvis. Foxxy wins, but the referee fails to notice Jarvis rope break at the 3-count. In the following weeks, this leads to Ronin 3 arguing for a rematch.

Maria Guest Miss Mexico Deborah Young 
Backstage, the atmosphere is deteriorating. Shiori Jippensha is starting signs of going nuclear as she first gets into a big argument with Maria Guest over a rental car they had gotten together, then gets into a fist fight first with Miss Mexico and then with Deborah Young. That Sarah Wilkes choose to fine Jippensha for her behaviour make her absolutely furious. The writing seems to be on the wall for the Japanese star, but for the time being, she is still a member of the roster.

Claire Winters 
The contracts of Claire Winters and Laura Flame expire in April and rumour has it that the initial plan was to resign Winters but let Flame go at the end of her contract, not because the company was unhappy with her performance, but because they didn’t have much in plan for her and the roster is considered too big for a promotion QAW’s size. The problems with Jippensha seems to have changed their minds as in the end, extensions of both Winters’ and Flame’s contracts are announced. More contracts are due to expire in the next few months.

May
In Tijuana, Teresa Perez gets her rematch against Brooke Tyler but is tricked into a countout loss. Tyler for her part is not interested in giving Perez any more opportunities as “there are many worthy opponents knocking on the door. It’s time for Teresa to get back in line.”

Charity Sweet Etsuko Arihyoshi Deborah Young 
Thinking she’s out of hell, Charity Sweet voluntarily gets herself into it again when she sees Deborah Young going after a new bullying victim, this time Etsuko Arihyoshi. Charity and Deborah start feuding, culminating at Memorial Day Mayhem in match with high stakes: The loser leaves town (or QAW as it were). Charity stands tall, and Deborah Young curses her on her way out.

Capitano Higa 
The feud between Shiori Jippensha and everyone (or at least Higa and Capitano) flares up, and it starts building to a second loser leaves town match mirroring Charity and Deborah’s, but between Shiori and Higa instead, but there is a switcharoo as Higa has “responsibilities” to defend the tag team straps, and so Capitano is sprung with the unenvious challenge. The match breaks down with run-ins, interference and counter-interference, but somehow Capitano stands as the winner in the end. The chaotic way the match ended however leaves a sliver of an opening for Shiori to renege on the conditions of the match.

Killer Kass Teresa Perez Christy Higgins 
Killer Kass takes on Teresa Perez in a No DQ match, promising a blood bath. Just as it looks like Kass is going to make good on her promise, Christy Higgins run in to save the day, nine months after her last appearance. Together she and Teresa stand tall, and the Bubblegum Brawlers are together again.

Brooke Tyler Lily Snyder 
Brooke Tyler takes on Lily Snyder for the Shockwave title and retains, but Snyder carries herself well and there might be more singles matches in the future for the larger half of the long time tag team Anderson & Snyder. And Jillian Jarvis gets her rematch for the World title, but Foxxy LaRue wins again, clean this time.

Backstage, Shiori isn’t the only one who is very unhappy. Christy Higgins come back and is in a terrible mood over the release of her good friend Alexis Lee (which happened when? Six months ago? Get over it, Christy…) Her contract is also up soon, so it might not be the right time to stir the boat. Deborah Young is still officially on the QAW roster a few days into June but apparently she has not been offered a new contract.

In Japan, DEVIL Karube stepped down as head booker for 5SSW, and there was buzz about QAW booker Sarah Wilkes possibly being in the running for the job, but ultimately nothing became of that as 5SSW brought in Sadakuno Nishimuraya as their new booker.

Title holders at the end of May:

World Championship
World Title: Foxxy LaRue, 2 defenses since March 2019

Shockwave Championship
Shockwave Title: Brooke Tyler, 2 defenses since April 2019

Tag Team Championship
Tag Team Titles: Birds of Prey (Higa & Oonishi, 2 defenses since March 2019

Shockwave Trios Titles: Jaguar Clan (Jaguar Queen, Huracán, Rojo), 2 defenses since April 2019

Popularity:

Mid South: 66, South East: 34, Mid West: 31, South West: 30, Northern Mexico: 27, West Central Mexico: 16

Economy and Wrestling Industry:

USA: D/C- (Falling/Falling)
Canada: D-/E (Rising/Rising)
Mexico: C-/D (Rising/Rising)
Japan: C-/C- (Falling/Falling)

Last edited by Dr_Avalanche : 07-16-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Unread 07-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Phenom

As DarK_RaideR said, there are some awesome moments described here, but I can get why you've gone this way. I can't imagine how long it would have taken you to write this many shows (probably six months? nine months?).

Happy to see Teresa pick up the Shockwave title, so of course she gets injured in that match (story of her career).

The situation with Cherry was bound to happen at some point. With how over your roster is, and how demanding Cherry is of being protected, you couldn't keep her happy forever.

The Charity face turn sounds like a great moment, as does the return of Higgins. Hopefully the latter gets over Alexis' release in 6 months.

Also happy to see Brooke rising through the ranks. My guess is when it's all said and done, she will have held every title in the company.

I'm surprised that Shiori was Spectre, but I'm not surprised she is driving everyone crazy backstage. I guess that makes her the Shawn Michaels to Higa's Bret Hart.

The audible in the title match is something I've never seen before, but it seems like you were able to adjust on the fly. After getting injured twice in six months here and in kingjames' diary as well, maybe Talia is injury prone?
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Major League

Quote:
As DarK_RaideR said, there are some awesome moments described here, but I can get why you've gone this way. I can't imagine how long it would have taken you to write this many shows (probably six months? nine months?).
I just breezed past six months of shows - 30 shows all in all. If I took a week and a half per show, that's nearly a year's worth of writing.

Quote:
Happy to see Teresa pick up the Shockwave title, so of course she gets injured in that match (story of her career).

The situation with Cherry was bound to happen at some point. With how over your roster is, and how demanding Cherry is of being protected, you couldn't keep her happy forever.
To her credit, until she started getting unhappy about the booking, she was a model roster member. But once I realized that the only booking she would be satisfied with had her go over, I decided to just bite the bullet.

Quote:
The Charity face turn sounds like a great moment, as does the return of Higgins. Hopefully the latter gets over Alexis' release in 6 months.
Yeah, Charity breaking off from Ronin 3 is the storyline I was most tempted to pull on the break for and actually type out. But by now I wouldn't even know where to start. It also has the potential to change Jillian, seeing her loyal band dissolve around her. Not sure how yet - I don't think turning her face would do any good. She's too good a heel for that.

Quote:
Also happy to see Brooke rising through the ranks. My guess is when it's all said and done, she will have held every title in the company.

I'm surprised that Shiori was Spectre, but I'm not surprised she is driving everyone crazy backstage. I guess that makes her the Shawn Michaels to Higa's Bret Hart.

The audible in the title match is something I've never seen before, but it seems like you were able to adjust on the fly. After getting injured twice in six months here and in kingjames' diary as well, maybe Talia is injury prone?
I just wanted to collect the best wrestlers. That it ruined my locker room was an unfortunate side effect.

Brooke will be good. I think unlike Cherry, the title will actually do something for her.

The audible was such a strange thing. Foxxy has been an all star for me, but I had NO plans on putting the belt on her again anytime soon, so that was a curveball. Now that she has it, everything changes. The Contender's Crown tournament is coming up, and I had an idea how I wanted it to play out with Talia as champion, but with Foxxy I have to rethink everything. QAW doesn't have a whole lot of main event level heels to challenge a babyface champion.

You might be right about Talia. It's her second injury during her title reign, I almost had her vacate the title the first time she got injured but that time I decided to stall for time as it was just a month that time.
Unread 07-20-2017, 06:51 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Avalanche View Post
It also has the potential to change Jillian, seeing her loyal band dissolve around her. Not sure how yet - I don't think turning her face would do any good. She's too good a heel for that.
Maybe the experience rekindles a fire inside her and she's able to focus all the emotion into being vicious, kind of a vengeful betrayed heel thing. Just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Avalanche View Post
QAW doesn't have a whole lot of main event level heels to challenge a babyface champion.
The best way to work around it seems to be a multi-woman match. Have someone question the way Foxxy earned the title or something, then put it up for grabs and let a heel win it.
Unread 07-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarK_RaideR View Post
Maybe the experience rekindles a fire inside her and she's able to focus all the emotion into being vicious, kind of a vengeful betrayed heel thing. Just an idea.

The best way to work around it seems to be a multi-woman match. Have someone question the way Foxxy earned the title or something, then put it up for grabs and let a heel win it.
Jillian Jarvis, Vengeful Spirit of QAW would be a fun weird gimmick if taken literally.
But yeah, up until now, there has been something redeeming in how Jillian ran her gang. It was a psychopath in charge, but of a somewhat egalitarian group. She was not *just* a bad guy. She might come out of this if possible a darker character.

I think Ronin 3 will reform in a new form. Brooke Tyler is already part of it, and there is a free agent available on the market that I'm not sure if I can resist. I'll report on it if a deal goes through... It could well be the strongest version of Ronin 3 yet if it happens.

Regarding Foxxy, I think I will sit still in the boat for the moment. Kayfabe, there was nothing wrong with how she won, it was just kind of an upset, but how surprising is it *really* when a four time world champion happens to beat the upstart first time champion to capture the belt for the fifth time? It might not have been intended, but it's like accidentally putting the belt on John Cena. Oops, didn't mean that to happen, but we have been here before, everybody involved knows what to do.

It might be a good story going into the Contender's Crown tournament without Talia having been given her rematch, and what happens if someone else wins the trophy? *Then* we might have a 3-way title match on our hands. Good thing Talia will be back in time to participate in the tournament this time, so that's something.
Unread 07-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Major League

The Wrestling Gazetteer

QAW In Review - June 2019

Deborah Young 
Summer started with a press conference where Hannah Potter confirmed that two wrestlers had left the QAW roster. Shiori Jippensha’s contract had been cancelled due to personal reasons and the Japanese star had returned to her home country to focus on 5SSW, and the contract of Deborah Young had not been renewed when it expired. At the same time, two new signings were presented:

Amber Allen, the Women’s Wrester of the Year 2018, former NOTBPW women’s champion who had left the Canadian promotion on bad terms in February smiled and expressed how pleased she was at having joined the number one women’s wrestling promotion, but had not expected to be overshadowed by the young woman next to her. Yuki Moore, the wonder kid had gained national celebrity among a host of children’s morning tv hosts, but unlike her colleagues she never showed any desire to make a career in pop music. Many shrugged their shoulders when she declared she was starting a wrestling career, but among fans of women’s wrestling it was soon clear that the same drive that had gotten her national fame in the entertainment industry was propelling her forward in her new career as well. Just a year into her career, there were rumours that she was negotiating a contract with QAW but the deal fell through. After tearing it up on the indie circuit for the next six months, QAW were not prepared to wait any longer and snatched up the future star, not willing to wait for someone else to steal her before their eyes.

Alexis Lee 
Two former QAW stars has decided to hang up their boots this month. Alexis Lee was cut from the QAW roster toward the end of 2018 and did some independent shows in early 2019 but after not finding a more permanent arrangement decided to call it quits. The two time Shockwave champion, one time tag team champion and one of the original wrestlers of QAW, Alexis Lee is a candidate for the QAW Hall of Fame.

Cherry Bomb left the company shortly after losing the Shockwave title in December and spent the months afterwards deriding her successor Teresa Perez in social media. After spending six months thinking about her future, Cherry Bomb officially announced her retirement.

Jaguar Queen Hannah Potter 
The Jaguar Clan continued to set the agenda, controlling everything from match booking to event scheduling through the increasingly yielding Hannah Potter, leading to QAW travelling back and forth to Tijuana, giving the Jaguar Queen and her subjects home turf advantage in the weeks leading up to the biggest tournament of the year. One critical event backfires however for the Jaguar Clan. In a plan to get rid of last year’s winner Chitose Ariwara, a qualifying match is arranged between Ariwara and Purple Viper. The planned interference backfires, and instead it is the Jaguar Clan’s biggest hope that is left out of the Contender’s Crown tournament.

Brooke Tyler  Jillian Jarvis 
Brooke Tyler defends the Shockwave title three times in June, first against Maria Guest, then against Charity Sweet and finally at Storm Warning retained the title in a four way match against Teresa Perez, Lily Snyder and Amber Allen - where any doubt whether Allen was a babyface or a heel was shed as she mid-match actively sided with Brooke. After the match, Jillian Jarvis came to the ring and Amber was presented as the new third member of Ronin 3.

Talia Quinzel 
Talia Quinzel returns after nearly two months, immediately demanding her rematch for the World title. It takes a while, but at Storm Warning, Foxxy and Talia meet again. Most had expected the story to finally resolve here, but the double count out finish have the two enter the Contender’s Crown tournament with their feud unresolved.

Claire Winters 
Leading up to Storm Warning, there has been tension mounting between Talia and Claire Winters, highlighted after a loss for the duo against a team of Foxxy LaRue and Paige Croft where Claire loudly refused to take the blame for the loss, and while they’re still a unit there’s a general feeling that the duo might be heading toward a split.

Capitano is on the injured reserve for the entire match from a knee ligament injury suffered in her Memorial Day Mayhem match against Shiori Jippensha in a high flying spot that may have been well meaning but completely reckless. She returns for Storm Warning, just in time to slide into a trios team with Yuki Moore and Laura Flame that captures the Shockwave Trios titles on their first attempt against the Jaguar Clan.

Chitose Ariwara 
Another significant injury: Chitose Ariwara suffers a sprained ankle at Storm Warning, bad timing for the reigning Contender’s Crown champion days before the tournament. Nothing is said officially, but the schedule of the tournament looks peculiar enough that it’s reasonable to believe that it was changed to suit Ariwara’s recovery time.

Contender’s Crown Preview

It’s the third year in a row the Contender’s Crown tournament is decided in the month of July. Like last year, 16 participants are divided into two round robin groups. Matches have a 30 minute time limit, a win earns the victor 2 points, in the case of a draw the points are split. The winner of each group face each other in a final at Contender’s Ball. The winner gets to main event for the World title, traditionally at the next major event, this year that is the August event Crossroads. Unlike last year where the schedule was compressed by having one and a half match day take place on each show, it has now been spread out so that each show, one group completes one round. Previous winners are in 2017 Chitose Ariwara (who went on to become World champion) and Lauren Easter in 2016 (who never used her right to a title match before she left QAW for NOTBPW).

Group A
  • Capitano
  • Christy Higgins
  • Claire Winters
  • Higa
  • Jillian Jarvis
  • Paige Croft
  • Talia Quinzel
  • Teresa Perez
Notes: Three former World champions in Talia Quinzel, Paige Croft and Jillian Jarvis plus the reigning Queen of the Ring champion Higa. Those four has to be considered the favorites here, while Capitano, Teresa Perez, Christy Higgins and Claire Winters are strong enough to cause an upset on any given night but might weigh a little light in the long run. If any of them are looking to have a strong tournament, my money would be on Claire Winters who clearly is stepping into the tournament with something to prove. Some interesting matchups: Teresa Perez and Christy Higgins sorted out their beef with each other last year, but Higa and Christy might have a thing or two to say each other. And Teresa v Higa is a match between friends we rarely see outside tournaments.

Group B
  • Brooke Tyler
  • Charity Sweet
  • Chitose Ariwara
  • Etsuko Arihyoshi
  • Foxxy LaRue
  • Killer Kass
  • Pamela Rojo
  • Yuki Moore
Notes: The World champion Foxxy LaRue, former World champion and reigning Contender’s Crown champion Chitose Ariwara, Killer Kass the dominant leader of Bad Girls Inc together with Shockwave champion Brooke Tyler make up the favorites, but there are plenty of dark horses. The Japanese submission specialist Etsuko Arihyoshi is waiting for her breakout moment, the hard hitting representative of the Jaguar Clan Pamela Rojo is looking to prove they are not to mess with, Charity Sweet goes in with an all or nothing, do or die attitude, and then there is Yuki Moore. She has already captured gold in the form of the Shockwave trios titles, but how good is she really? Interesting matchups in this group: In round 6 we get champion v champion as Foxxy LaRue and Brooke Tyler square off. And another matchup between friends in the same round as tag team partners Chitose Ariwara and Etsuko Arihyoshi face each other.

Schedule:
  1. Monday week 1: Army of One, Group A round 1
  2. Wednesday week 1: Contender Series I, Group A round 2
  3. Friday week 1: Contender Series II, Group B round 1
  4. Sunday week 1: Contender Series III, Group B round 2
  5. Monday week 2: Army of One, Group A round 3
  6. Wednesday week 2: Contender Series IV, Group B round 3
  7. Friday week 2: Contender Series V, Group A round 4
  8. Sunday week 2: Contender Series VI, Group B round 4
  9. Monday week 3: Army of One, Group A round 5
  10. Wednesday week 3: Contender Series VII, Group B round 5
  11. Friday week 3: Contender Series VIII, Group A round 6