Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Hate the Game

The date is Saturday, December 23rd, 2000.

Our scene is a Christmas party, a rich man’s party. Champagne and caviar flows freely, as well dressed guests chatter amongst themselves about stocks, bonds, rental properties, vacations, and other general things that the “one percenters” care about most. One finely suited guest, the man throwing this entire shindig, floats around the room shaking hands and small talking as he moves past his fellow business owners. He then notices a man sitting alone at the in-house bar, not in a fine suit but clad in a leather jacket and blue jeans – which doesn’t suit the gray haired man wearing them.

But this is the man who was sent an invite, despite how many people said that it wasn’t a good idea. Our host walks over to him, watching him sip at a bottle of beer, before greeting him.

“Hey there, Eric; you look like you need some company.”

He glances up from his bottle briefly, a defeated look in his eyes. “What am I even doing here? I barely work for the company anymore, and once the merger goes through, I’ll be out the door even more; Hell, we probably all will be on our asses.”

“Well that’s why I invited you! Because you were the man who made it happen. You turned my baby into a profitable man for years, and I think you could do it again.”

“That’s just a pipe dream now. Vince is breathing down our necks. We won’t last until April at this rate. I spoke to that Kellner at the party earlier, and as soon as the merger goes through, he’s kicking us off the air.”

“It isn’t that bad. Our last shows were pretty good! The fans can come back, we just need to keep with what’s working.”

“With what? We barely have two dimes to rub against one another at this point.”

“That’s where I can come in, one final time, my friend.”

“What are you talking about? I thought your whole amount was tied up in legalities?”

“The company is still mine at this point, I don’t care what they keep pushing on the news. And that means I can still sell a part of it off if I want to, especially a part that they don’t want. Kellner knows some of the other guys, and they’re a little shady… I don’t want them to have the fate of my baby. You go home, and on Monday, stop by the offices. Come right into my office. I’ve had a paper drawn up for months now, just waiting for your signature. It won’t promise any money, but what it does promise is three months of hope.”

“I can’t pay anything for it. My investors aren’t guaranteed yet.”

“Don’t worry about it. Just come on Monday.”

“But why would you do this, when you can make more money by selling?”

“Eric, I’m getting to be an old man. My company is being merged out of my hands. Jane sleeps in a separate room, I think she wants a divorce. And the last thing I want to see is Vince’s faces on my networks ever again. What I want is to be able to sit down at the end of a long Monday and watch some ‘rasslin’.”

The fire is in Eric’s eyes, the defeated man gone, as he listens to the speech.

“I don’t want to lose my baby without having a say in it. So come on, Eric; make me some good ‘rasslin’ again.”

The date is Monday, December 25th, 2000.

A secret board meeting has just happened. There were only three people in the room.

Ted Turner, Eric Bischoff, and Sophie Burns, the secretary, as a witness.

As Eric heads back home, his signature on legal documents that sell him World Championship Wrestling as of January 2nd, 2001.

And all he had to give for it was one dollar and a promise.

That he would take the company and continue making good ‘rasslin’ for Ted Turner.

“Let’s get back to work.”

-----

The date is Monday, January 1st, 2001.

Vince McMahon is just biding his time, waiting for WCW executives to call him.

But the call has never come.

The ratings have been declining slowly, not enough to be a problem yet but also just enough to be a concern. He has cranked up the McMahon drama to unseen levels, knowing that is what the crowd wants for sure. That’s what he can count on. The crowd just doesn’t know it yet.

Why in the Hell hasn’t Kellner called yet? Heyman has already been on the phone, the deal is about as done as it can be without ink on paper yet. My monopoly is so close to being completed, but the major player hasn’t showed his hand yet.

The show for tonight has already been taped, and there is no new Nitro to oppose it. If fans want wrestling tonight, they’ll watch. And then next week, we can start building for the Rumble. That always brings them back around. And then WrestleMania, my baby, my greatest creation! They always come in droves for WrestleMania!

But why in the Hell hasn’t Kellner called yet? Vince appeases himself by sitting back and thinking about the past year.

“It should only be a matter of time.”

-----

Quote:
So yes, this is my new toy. Is 1994 dead? Well, for now, yes. I needed something new, fresh, and shiny, and now I have it, thanks to MrCreative and his brand new January 2001 mod.

And yeah, a few people knew I had this planned out for a few months now... I did not rip off TFC by starting a WCW 01 diary!

The way I’m doing this is not as complicated as I’m about to make it sound. I am playing all three major American companies in this, WCW and WWF and ECW, as Eric, Vince, and Paul. But I am only going to be really giving a weekly write-up to WCW. The WWF will be given a brief, brief look, while ECW is only going to have one final show: the pay-per-view Guilty as Charged. I am only playing as Paul basically long enough to let ECW die, so that the AI doesn’t try to rescue it. I know that is likely to be an unpopular decision, but I hope you’ll stick with me despite it.

The stage is set for World Championship Wrestling and Eric Bischoff to make one more big go at the top here – so it’s time to see what they could do now that they aren’t on the chopping block.

Just remember; make sure you don’t hate the player. Just hate the game.

Last edited by Beejus : 06-03-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Unread 01-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Hall of Fame

Default World Championship Wrestling as of January 1st, 2001

World Championship Wrestling
Owner: Eric Bischoff
Headquarters: Atlanta, Georgia
Figurehead: Goldberg
Size: Cult
Ranking: 2nd

Quote:
World Championship Wrestling as of January 1st, 2001

Broadcast Information

WCW Live Pay-Per-View Events
Held Live at Primetime on Time Warner
Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Scott Hudson, and Mark Madden (who was recently released)

WCW Monday Nitro
Held Live on Mondays at Primetime on TNT
Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Scott Hudson, and formerly Mark Madden

WCW Thunder
Shown on Wednesdays at Late Evening on TBS
Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, and Stevie Ray

WCW Worldwide
Shown on Saturdays at Afternoon on Syndication
Announcers: Mike Tenay and Scott Hudson
Quote:
WCW Championships

WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Current Champion: “Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner
Held Since: November 26th, 2000 (WCW Mayhem)
Previous Champion: Booker T

WCW World Tag Team Championships
Current 2-Time Champions: The Insiders: Kevin Nash (7) and Diamond Dallas Page (4)
Held Since: December 17th, 2000 (WCW Starrcade)
Previous Champions: The Perfect Event

WCW United States Championship
Current 2-Time Champion: General Rection
Held Since: November 26th, 2000 (WCW Mayhem)
Previous Champion: Lance Storm

WCW Hardcore Championship
Current 2-Time Champion: Terry Funk
Held Since: December 17th, 2000 (WCW Starrcade)
Previous Champion: Crowbar

WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Current 2-Time Champion: Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Held Since: December 4th, 2000 (WCW Thunder)
Previous Champion: Mike Sanders
Quote:
WCW Employees
On-Screen Authority Figures
WCW CEO: “The Nature Boss” Ric Flair
WCW Commissioner: “Above Average” Mike Sanders

Active Roster
Alex Wright
“The Beast from the East” Bam Bam Bigelow
Buff “The Stuff” Bagwell
Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Crowbar, with Daffney
“The Sarge” DeWayne Bruce
Diamond Dallas Page
Ernest “The Cat” Miller with Ms. Jones
Evan Karagias
The Filthy Animals: Konnan, Billy Kidman, and Rey Mysterio Jr., with Tygress
“The Man” Goldberg
The Harris Brothers: Big Ron and Heavy D
Jamie Knoble
“The Chosen One” Jeff Jarrett
“Hacksaw” Jim Duggan
The Jung Dragons: Kaz Hayashi and Yang, with Leia Meow
“Big Sexy” Kevin Nash
KroniK: Brian Adams and Bryan Clark
Kwee Wee with Paisley
“The Total Package” Lex Luger
The Mamalukes: Big Vito and Johnny the Bull
“The Monster” Meng
The Misfits in Action: General Rection, Corporal Cajun, and Sgt. A-WALL
The Natural Born Thrillers: “The Main Event” Chuck Palumbo, “Perfect” Shawn Stasiak, Mark Jindrak, Sean O’Haire, and Reno, with Mike Sanders
“Screamin’” Norman Smiley
“Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner with Midajah
“The Franchise” Shane Douglas
Sid Vicious
Terry Funk
Three Count: “Sugar” Shane Helms and Shannon Moore
Team Canada: Lance Storm, “Canadian Career Killer” Mike Awesome, and Elix Skipper, with Major Gunns

WCW Broadcast Team
“Mean” Gene Okerlund
“Iron” Mike Tenay
Scott Hudson
Stevie Ray
Tony Schiavone

WCW Officials
Billy Silverman
Charles Robinson
Nick Patrick
Scott Armstrong

Backstage Road Agents
Arn Anderson (occasionally seen on-screen with Ric Flair)
Johnny Ace
Terry Taylor

Absent from Television
Booker T (injury leave)
Disqo (injury leave)
Dustin Rhodes (suspension)
Eric Bischoff (leave)
Glacier (being promoted after a long absence)
Kanyon (leave)
Madusa (leave)
Rick Steiner (leave)
Stacy Kiebler (between storylines)
Sting (leave)
Vampiro (injury)
Quote:
Current Storylines

The Stories So Far
The World Championship Cluster%@(#
At WCW Mayhem, Scott Steiner finally achieved what people had been saying he should have had for years: The World’s Heavyweight championship. “Big Poppa Pump” put Booker T on the shelf in the process, as well as having put Sting on that same shelf. He felt that he had disposed of Sid Vicious at Starrcade as well, but reports say that Sid is not as injured as the champion would believe. “The Nature Boss” Ric Flair, in the interest of setting up a world class title match for WCW Sin, has announced a special three way dance for the World title. Steiner’s somewhat ally, “The Chosen One” Jeff Jarrett, won his way into the bout with a one-night tournament victory, but the third participant only Flair knows. Who is the mystery man? Can Steiner overcome these odds? And is Jarrett really in the match to help Scott as he claims, or is he out to win his fifth World championship?

The Streak Redux
When Vince Russo was in charge of WCW, he made Goldberg an ultimatum: if he can once again gain his 176-0 streak, then he will be given a shot at the WCW World championship, but if he loses along the way and he must leave WCW! This has led to plenty of men coming along to try and put down “The Man” so they can be the one who retires the former champion. Currently, “The Total Package” Lex Luger has laid his claim to trying to eliminate Goldberg, and he nearly did so at Starrcade with the help of a turning Buff Bagwell. Now, Totally Buff are pooling their resources to achieve their goal, and are doing so by placing Goldberg in an almost no-win situation: forcing him to team with his old Power Plant trainer “The Sarge” DeWayne Bruce at Sin against the two world class athletes! Standing now at 33-0 after a match on the final Thunder of the year, can “The Man” get through these incredible odds to get to the WCW World championship again?

Inside the Thrillers
Kevin Nash had been the coach of the Natural Born Thrillers, but when they turned against him, he knew that he had to look to his past to get through the onslaught in his future. Joining forces with Diamond Dallas Page, “Big Sexy” and he won the WCW World Tag Team championships from The Perfect Event and have been keeping ahead of the Thrillers since. However, Commissioner Mike Sanders has proven to be a thorn in their sides, wanting the belts back around his men’s waists. Ric Flair overruled Sanders trying to simply place his stablemates into contention, instead forcing them into a tag team battle royal, but Sanders stopped the match when it was O’Haire, Jindrak, Palumbo, and Stasiak remaining, and said that he will not reveal which two will take on Page and Nash until Sin. Mystery surrounds the evening as The Insiders have no idea which of these four young, hungry studs they will have to face off against!

Blame Canada? Blame Yourself!
Team Canada have just gotten a huge shot in the arm as of the final Thunder of 2000 when they dumped Jim Duggan and picked up Mike Awesome! Awesome, shedding his “70s Guy” persona, has dubbed himself the Canadian Career Killer, and he wants to get back all the time he wasted. The Canadians have been having some problems with the Filthy Animals, but this problem has just escalated with the addition of Awesome.

Misfits No More?
The Misfits in Action, after Lt. Loco left them, seem to be in the brink of collapse. General Rection, the reigning WCW United States champion, is trying to keep Corporal Cajun and Sgt. A-WALL banded together, but “The Franchise” Shane Douglas isn’t helping matters as he routinely attacks Rection. Douglas is simply after the championship gold, but he could help to tear the MIA apart in the process!

Who’s Hardcore?
Terry Funk won the WCW Hardcore championship from Crowbar at Starrcade. Crowbar, who was joined with Mike Awesome in the 70s getup, threw all that away the next night as he attacked Meng with a wrench in order to ensure that Funk would retain the belt until he got a shot at it! The old crazy Crowbar is back along with “The Scream Queen” Daffney, and they are looking to put that title right back around his waist! But… what about Meng?

The Rematch Clause
“Sugar” Shane Helms and Shannon Moore co-won the tag team ladder match at Starrcade, only for Helms to defeat Moore in singles action the next night on Nitro to secure himself the WCW Cruiserweight championship match at Sin. Or did he? Crafty champion Chavo Guerrero Jr. has made it clear that if he loses the belt between now and Sin, then Helms is out as Chavo would use his rematch clause to get his match back! Helms is now in a do-or-die situation, as he is forced to assist his opponent so that he doesn’t lose his hard-earned title shot!

Brotherly Bonds
When Johnny the Bull decided to turn on Big Vito, Vito brought in his brother, Reno, for backup against the Natural Born Thrillers. But it ended up all being a ruse, as Reno turned on Vito to join the Thrillers also! Johnny then turned right back against the NBT, rejoining Big Vito to reunite the Mamalukes, but one thing is left: showing Reno that if you mess with family, you sleep with the fishes!

Blood Runs Colder
Everyone has laughed as vignettes have begun to occasionally run again to redebut Glacier, now dubbed as “Blood Runs Colder”. Everyone, that is, except for “Screamin’” Norman Smiley, who feels that this is what WCW needs: a real hero!

Matches Set Thus Far for WCW Sin
WCW World Heavyweight Championship
“Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner © vs. “The Chosen One” Jeff Jarrett vs. ???

If Goldberg or Bruce get pinned, both must retire!
Totally Buff vs. Goldberg and “The Sarge” DeWayne Bruce

WCW World Tag Team Championships
The Insiders © vs. Two of the Natural Born Thrillers

WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Chavo Guerrero Jr. © vs. “Sugar” Shane Helms

WCW Hardcore Championship
Terry Funk © vs. Crowbar
Looking over all the information that he had gathered, Eric Bischoff shook his head. The days of the New World Order, of Hogan and Savage and Piper and Hart bringing in money and ratings hand-over-fist were long gone. Even the days of the exciting matches put on night after night by Benoit and Guerrero and the like were gone. Ugh, thanks a lot, Kevin. Hope you’re enjoying your miserable life on the unemployment line.

“Let’s face it… Vince won this battle.”

He sighs, sitting back in his chair and running his hands over his face. He had made a few stars over the years, but not many; they didn’t need to make new stars before, because why should they when they were promoting the legendary icons of wrestling? New stars were the people that those guys went over to stay on top! Or at least that’s what Terry and Kevin had instilled in him. Russo had his faults, but at least he gave new people a chance. People like Jarrett and Booker may not be the full answer right now, but at least they were talented enough to put on some interesting main events. And that’s what all the dirt sheet and internet whiners said, that main events in WCW were never any good because the main eventers were too old and broken down to put on good matches. Maybe we did let them coast on their name value a little too much, but there’s something to be said for known commodities. However, it’s a new day. Our ratings may stink, but Raw is slipping. Just like in 1995, that sort of slip could be just what we need to jump up and try to overtake them again. And this time there are not as many cooks in the kitchen from Turner to hold us back.

“He may have won this grueling five year battle. But the war is still coming.”

Thunder for the third of January was long ago taped and sent to TBS, there’s no way we could change anything about it. But Eric began jotting down notes and ideas on his personal roster sheet, crossing names and scratching arrows here and there with people who can start feuding. He looked at the clock to see that it was almost 2 AM, and at Loree who was long ago in bed. Tomorrow he needed to make a few calls to some people. He may not be able to change the world in one night, but the Xcel Energy Center was only a short drive away from home.

And he planned to have a brand new booking sheet ready to go for some people who are going to be very surprised to see his face show up backstage.

Last edited by Beejus : 07-23-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Unread 01-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Super Star

Excited to see what comes out of this, Beej.
Unread 01-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Very excited to see what you do with WCW in it's later days!
Unread 01-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Phenom

Location: The last house down on the left, right near the other other street.

I will be following; I gotta' thing for old school saves. Excited to see all of this folds out!
Unread 01-01-2017, 06:05 PM
All Star

Quote:
And yeah, a few people knew I had this planned out for a few months now... I did not rip off TFC by starting a WCW 01 diary!
Pfft, yeah, sure. That's a likely story!

And here I thought I was going to be all alone in 2001, with a sea of dynasties (many of them excellent) set in the mid-90s. Way to crowd me, ya jerk.

Seriously, you know I'll be following.
Unread 01-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Major League

I am hyped
Unread 01-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Major League

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, man. 2001 is an interesting--not to mention challenging--year for WCW, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing your take on it.
Unread 01-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the warm response so far, I'm always glad to see that I have such a dedicated cult-um, uh, I mean, following around the board.

I have filled in the roster post now along with another brief backstory segment. Hope you enjoy! I will hope to have a show posted by the end of the weekend.

A quick note, there will be a prediction contest for Sin, even though there are really only like three shows until it's here. But the card that I already posted isn't full, so that will wait until I post a full card after the second Thunder.

Last edited by Beejus : 01-02-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Unread 01-05-2017, 12:01 AM
Super Star

This somehow snuck past me. Subbing on up.
Unread 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Hall of Fame

Default New Years Raw 2001

Something that I hadn’t planned to do a week ago, I sat down and watched Raw on my New Year’s evening. Gotta get my head back into the game if I’m going to start competing again.

They started by recapping what happened on SmackDown last Thursday, which is great because I certainly wasn’t watching. Seems like Stephanie was screeching all over that show too, with her playing evil boss and getting the Dudleyz and Jericho beaten up, but Steve Austin pouring beer all over her earlier in the night. She had Rikishi, Steven Regal, and Kane defeat Undertaker and Rock in a handicap match. Are we sure they didn’t rehire Russo? (B-)

“Stone Cold” arrives and is met by Earl Hebner (who, as you all remember, helped screw Bret; but we’re in Texas and not Canada, so he gets a free pass) who tells him that Stephanie wants to see him. Thus begins The Stephanie Show. (B-)

So “Good old JR” informs everyone that we’re having a mini tournament tonight, where the winners go to Thursday to wrestle and the winner of that gets Kurt Angle next Monday. Undertaker takes on Fatu and then Kane against Rocky. Not a bad lineup, that’s two pretty big matches. (B-)

The show starts with Mark and Fatu? What logic is this? Did they not know that Nitro was running a New Year’s Special and aren’t live? Anyways, Undertaker wins with a DDT, which makes no sense because wrestling has said for years that Samoans have notoriously hard heads. Maybe they have hard heads but regular sized necks? I’m thinking that someone else in the WWF has a hard head, but he wasn’t on the show tonight. Undertaker moves on to SmackDown. (B-)

The Stephanie Show sees Austin in her office, where she tells him that he has to be a beer and hot dog vendor. Wait… are they recycling my old material? Because it sure looks like it. Austin beats up the previous vendor to the apparent delight of Texans everywhere. (B-)

And then we have a recap of the segment we just saw post-commercial break. (B)

Kurt Angle, Edge, and Christian arrive at the arena and are met by an interviewer. He fills the three in on the mini tournament and that they have a tables match tonight. Basically just a hype segment so fans stay tuned. (C+)

The Acolytes are out along with Jacqueline, and then Billy Gunn. I don’t know if there’s ever been a more misfire in wrestling history than Vince’s almost constant push of Billy, but if I were Gunn, I wouldn’t complain either. Ugh, that siren… they face three of Right to Censor, with Billy pinning Val after a lame duck match that only pushes this Ivory and Chyna feud forward. Bradshaw really was the star of this match, it looked like he was showing off for his hometown Texas crowd. Buchanan couldn’t keep up with everyone. It continues as Billy tries to hit a piledriver on Venis, but the RTC get away. So which of the gimmicks are deader in the water at this point; “The One” or the RTC? At least the APA are a hit, especially in Texas. (C+, D)

Steve Austin is backstage again as we move into part three of The Stephanie Show. At least even in the nWo’s heyday, I tried to only book myself once an hour so it didn’t get overly repetitive. She harasses him about hot dogs, he sprays her with mustard. I chuckled. She at least does have her dad’s lack of shame about looking bad for the camera. (B-)

After a break, Austin is sampling beer. I’m not sure if this is for storyline value or if they just left the camera on Austin backstage and then decided to air it. (B)

The Stephanie Show is now in her office on the phone with Vince, whining about Austin. He tells her she’s a McMahon dammit until Trish comes in. She flirts with Vince on the phone, but once it’s hung up she and Stephanie snipe at one another. This whole family drama is so riveting… I suppose. (B-)

Bubba and D-Von are backstage with an interviewer, and D-Von talks while Bubba spraypaints their opponent’s names on a table. They’re ready to “have wood” I guess. (C)

The WWF Rewind shows Raven winning the Hardcore title. (C-)

Scotty is out for a match, but he takes a microphone first and proclaims this The Year of The Raven. More like year of the drug orgies if Scott is allowed his way. Tazz’s music cuts him off from going on any further. (C+)

The Hardcore title is defended, they go all over the arena including into the women’s restroom (Kevin? Did you get hired along with Russo?) when the Hollys and Blackman get involved. For some reason, Raven pins Crash to win the match against Tazz. Look, I don’t much mind when something like this happens, but don’t do it after roasting WCW for years about doing it. Raven runs away while the Hollys and Blackman fight among themselves. Anyways, there was a good match here somewhere, but it got lost in the overbooking of the whole mess. (C-)

Austin now only has one beer remaining, and I guess he’ll pay for it himself as he brings it to the ring. (B-)

But first, the WWF Slam of the Week, which is Austin pouring beer on Stephanie last Thursday. We saw this at the beginning of the show, remember? (B-)

Austin hits the ring and demands his title shot. Stephanie says he didn’t sell all the food, but a cute nod to the other gimmicks of the company as he reveals he sold it all to the Acolytes and their poker players. Stephanie makes a third tournament match for tonight, which turns SmackDown’s match into a triple threat, between Austin and Steven- sorry, William Regal. Force of habit. Austin finds a way to rip Stephanie’s shirt off and she runs backstage covering herself. Ten minutes of my life I’m not getting back. (B)

JR hypes the tables match, which he says is “Tonight” but is actually next. (C+)

Well, after more Stephanie Show, as we recap her announcement and Austin ripping off her shirt. How many recaps can one show take? Find out on Raw! (B-)

Chris Jericho comes out and runs down Stephanie on his way to the ring, as now even people not involved with the storyline are talking about her. Kurt, Edge, and Christian talk on their way to the ring about beating everyone in the ring last Thursday, but Jericho makes a crack about Stephanie that, for some reason, pisses them all off. (B-)

Jericho and the Dudleys win the tables match, with a 3D on Edge through a table. Not a bad match, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Jericho is upset at not being pushed very well. He left us because he thought he was just spinning his wheels and not going any higher, but what’s he doing now? (B-)

Test is backstage, and Trish tries to act. That’s all you really need on this one. (C-)

During the break, Steven Regal leaves Stephanie’s office with a smile on his face. So either he saw her changing or he got good news about his match. (C+)

Benoit defends the Intercontinental title against Test. Albert and Trish interfere to cost Test the title match. And so just like Jericho, who left WCW because he wasn’t getting anywhere, here stands Benoit, spinning his wheels just as much. (B-)

Test chases Trish away and then brawls with Albert as JR gets a barbeque flavored hard-on about two big hosses fighting. At least he can’t go on about football backgrounds. (C+)

William Regal – see, I’m slowly getting used to it! – is back with Debra McMichael – oh, there I did it again – and he tells her to tell Austin that there’s a surprise referee for their match tonight. (B-)

And then we recap that William Regal talked to Debra about a surprise referee. So are we running the show for 5 year olds who don’t have long term memories, or is it for teenagers who are going to roll their eyes at all these time wasting recap segments? (C+)

Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn with Terri join commentary for the next match. I know that one could say in WCW we never gave Malenko any personality, but what the hell is this ladies man crap? Ross immediately calls out on him being married, and the storyline should be ruined right there, but it goes on. (C-)

Kaientai come out to put over their dubbing gimmick, the same one we gave to La Parka ages ago. (C)

The Hardy Boyz defeat Kaientai pretty easily while Dean puts over this crap storyline. My WCW would have just had them put on great tag matches against one another, not have short matches and then spat about some married man wanting a piece of the rat at ringside. The crowd didn’t really care about this match at all. (C-)

And then Lita and the Hardys jump Perry, Dean, and Terri, laying them out and leaving. Babyfaces, ladies and gentlemen. Cheer. (C)

Kane and The Rock are seen heading for the ring for their match, so I guess Austin and Regal are now the real main event. (B)

JR and Lawler take time to talk about the triple threat match on SmackDown, and how Kane or Rock and Austin or Regal will face Undertaker on Thursday. Something seems fishy; no way do they throw Mark, Rocky, and Austin in a triple threat when it isn’t on pay-per-view. That is way too big a level of guns for a common TV show. (B-)

In a surprise move, Kane wins the match against Rocky when Angle runs in and hits Rock with the World title belt. I suppose that keeps Rock away from Austin now that he’s almost guaranteed a slot in Thursday’s triple threat. (B-)

During the break, Angle runs to E&C’s getaway car, and we get another recap video of what we literally just saw two minutes ago before we went to commercial. (B)

Regal comes out and shares some words of enlightenment to the crowd about being fat, stupid Texans in order to get all the cheap heat possible, before bringing out Stephanie as the surprise referee. I’m not all that surprised with this surprising development. (B)

But first, a Royal Rumble Replay video, as Mick Foley entered the 1998 Rumble three times. I don’t remember that happening, probably because at the time I was too busy counting the money I was making off beating Vince’s ass every week. (B)

So in the McMahon tradition of screwing people over, Regal defeats Austin via a fast count. So either something is getting changed on Thursday before the match starts or else Undertaker is getting the title match next Monday, because no way does Regal or a heel Kane get the match. (C+)

Ugh, then Stephanie screeches over the microphone. I mute the TV, so I don’t know what she says, but she gestures at Austin so it must have been some sort of taunting. Show ends with Austin looking pissed off. (B)

So that was a real s***show. Stephanie everywhere, Vince wasn’t on the show at all, a tournament that changed it’s rules without warning… are we sure Russo hasn’t gone back to the WWF while I was out of the loop? I can’t imagine fans, or TNN, being all that pleased with how this episode went off. If this is what they’re calling “top notch programming” then getting back to the top may not be as hard as I was thinking.

WWF Jakked was taped before Raw and aired on 1/6/01.
Raw/SD Recap: The McMahons conspire to put Steve Austin IN the World title match? (B)
K-Kwik defeated Essa Rios (C-)
D’Lo Brown defeated Grandmaster Sexay after Tiger Ali interfered on D’Lo’s behalf (C-)
Scotty Too Hotty defeated Chaz when Grandmaster Sexay stopped D’Lo from interfering (D+)
Too Cool dance for the crowd (B-)
Raw Rating: C+
Jakked Rating: C

Quote:
I'm probably not going to have Eric recap WWF shows too often. But with no Nitro to book on that evening - I purposely didn't book one for the first of January, because WCW didn't have a Nitro until 1/8 - I felt like I wanted to get something posted. So consider this as a backstory post that I actually booked. It helps to lead into the things that are going on in the "big two", and you can follow along on things as Eric is re-learning what is happening. I would assume that he would have kept up with WWF and WCW after he was cut loose from running WCW in 2000, but it fits my narrative better that he didn't. This show, along with Thunder and SmackDown, I booked basically minute-for-minute with what happened on the show.

I have first week of shows done, so I am at the point where Eric would be taking over WCW. So expect those and then another in-character backstage post before I get to the actual Nitro. Until then, I hope you enjoyed Eric Bischoff watching Raw is War on New Years Day 2001!
Unread 01-08-2017, 01:08 PM
All Star

I actually thought you hated the game. I'll be following this one, my friend.
Unread 01-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Phenom

All you need is .... The Gambler!
Unread 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Default WCW Thunder: 1/3/2001

I sat down to watch Thunder on Wednesday, despite Loree telling me that I was watching a little too much wrestling for not being on the road again yet. I told her that I needed to focus up since I’d been out of the game for a few months, to make sure that the transition can be as seamless as possible. Johnny has been more or less running things while I’ve been away, so let’s see how he was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Thunder, Taped 12/22/2000
  • We open in the parking lot with Lance Storm, Elix Skipper, and Major Gunns. I wonder if having Tylene out in the freezing air was just to see if we could get a shot of pokey nipples? Mike Awesome shows up, and he looks like a whole new man without that damn mullet anymore. He shows them his 70’s bus is now repainted to be a Team Canada bus, which I am assuming will be destroyed either later tonight or is planned for demolition on Monday. (D+)
  • Inside the barely-halfway-full Mid-South Coliseum, Ric is out in the ring after the opening plays, where Flair talks about the two main events for Sin next Sunday. There’s the whole mess with the mystery man in the triple threat main event, and the bigger mess that has “The Sarge” in a major match on a pay-per-view. Scott Steiner is “suspended” Jeff Jarrett comes out to talk, so Flair books him to face Sid in tonight’s main event, and if Sid wins he gets added to the triple threat match in place of Jarrett. Sid joins us to chase Jeff away, and someone gives him a microphone. He doesn’t say anything embarrassing, just a generic “I’ll beat you and then get the belt back” type promo. (B)
  • After a break, Flair is talking to Mike Sanders about where The Insiders are tonight. He says he doesn’t know, but once Ric is gone and Sanders goes into the Thrillers’ locker room, we hear Shawn Stasiak talking on a phone and he reveals that Mike screwed up their travel plans. He tells Perfect Event, Jindrak, and O’Haire to go talk about the Insiders tonight, and tells Reno that he was going to book him against Johnny the Bull but instead he’s putting him against “The Cat” Ernest Miller tonight, since he’s already beaten Cat. (B-, C)
  • “Mean” Gene is back with Crowbar and Daffney, who talks about how he grew up idolizing Terry Funk and how much it hurts him to beat up his idol, but he’ll rip the Hardcore Torch away from Funk. He has a chair match against Meng tonight because he didn’t like seeing Terry get beaten up by Meng. (C-)
  • It’s been twenty minutes and now we are finally getting a cruiserweight match. The crowd already don’t care enough, which is why I always tried to put them closer to the top of the show than this. “Sugar” Shane Helms defeats Jamie Knoble in a pretty solid match. Maybe we can rebuild the cruiser division pretty easily, we just have to feature these kinds of guys a lot more and a lot smarter. Russo did some pretty big damage to them, but good matches can wash that away some. After the match, Evan Karagias attacks Helms, Shannon Moore comes out but gets attacked by Evan and Knoble, Helms rallies back to take down Evan and Knoble, and then Chavo Guerrero Jr. hits Shane with the title to end the segment standing over all of them. (D, D-)
  • A quick recap goes back to 12/20 when Konnan locked Elix Skipper in the Tequila Sunrise. This leads into Skipper running into Konnan backstage, bumping him and then running away to lead him right to Awesome, who lays Konnan out. Both Awesome and Team Canada really needed this shot in the arm. (D, C-)
  • Back to “Mean” Gene, who’s with The Cat and Ms. Jones. He just talks about his match with Reno and how he wants another shot at Mike Sanders. Miller is pretty funny here though, polishing Gene’s head and picking at Gene’s age. (D+)
  • Backstage, Jarrett finds the Harris Brothers laid out. No help from them tonight. (C-)
  • It feels like it’s been another half an hour and we get another match. Corporal Cajun and Sgt. A-Wall against Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire. Simple match, O’Haire wins it with the Seanton Bomb on Lash. After the match comes the heel beatdown, Hugh comes out to help, but Chavo comes out to help which causes a confusion, and Shane Douglas runs out to attacks Morrus. (D+, C-)
  • Gene talks to Shane after that, and he talks about having a Chain on a Pole match at Sin for the US title. Wait... did WE hire Russo back? (C-)
  • Elix Skipper is outside in the Team Canada bus, singing his theme music. Cute. Jim Duggan rushes into the bus and attacks him, which is not so cute. (C)
  • The Filthy Animals are backstage talking about Team Canada. (D+)
  • The Mamalukes are backstage talking when they run into The Cat, and they talk about Reno. (D)
  • “Mean” Gene is joined by Totally Buff. Bagwell meets “The Sarge” tonight, they talk about beating him up at Sin. (C+)
  • A montage video for Bruce? What? Who greenlighted this? (D-)
  • Team Canada are shown backstage tending to Skipper, and they announce Awesome against Duggan for tonight. (D+)
  • Back to the Filthy Animals, who want revenge on Team Canada for them beating up Konnan earlier. (D+)
  • The Thrillers are celebrating their victory earlier when Flair comes in. He tells Reno that he must be alone against The Cat tonight and tells Jindrak to be ready, he has a match tonight. (C)
  • More of “Mean” Gene! This is some crack induced time filler, none of these segments are going much longer than a minute or two. Russo? Is that you? Okerlund is with Sid, who blathers about Jarrett. I take a drink, because this show is only half over. I can’t wait to get back into the driver’s seat. (C)
  • Chair on a Pole match?! What?! Where is Russo? Meng beats Crowbar in the match. (D)
  • Ric Flair is shown backstage talking to and shaking hands with Totally Buff. Huh? (B-)
  • Mark Jindrak is out for his match, and he’s against Goldberg. Goldberg runs through him to move up to 34-0 in his new Streak. He takes a microphone to run down Totally Buff, saying that they’re next. (C-, B)
  • More of “Mean” Gene makes me realize we need more people to hold microphones. Jeff Jarrett talks about Sid and staying in the match against Scott Steiner and the mystery man. (C)
  • Kronik are shown backstage talking to Totally Buff. (B-)
  • Reno takes on The Cat in a fairly ugly match. Cat wins, we move on. (D)
  • Mike Awesome against Jim Duggan lasts slightly less time than Cat and Reno until Awesome hits the Frog Splash and wins. Team Canada attack afterwards until the Filthy Animals make the save. They graffitied the bus (there’s our bus destruction, I called it) and run through catchphrases at the Canadians. “Mean” Gene catches up to Team Canada backstage where they make a challenge to the Filthy Animals for Sin. That should definitely be a solid match. (D, D+, D)
  • Laurinaitis really backloaded the matches on this show. We head right back to the ring for The Sarge against Buff Bagwell. But before that starts, we see Kronik fighting with Goldberg backstage and loading him into a box, which they send out of the arena on a forklift. Luger hits the ring and Sarge ends up winning by DQ. They Pillmanize his arm, and I hope I can find a way to spin this match into something better next week. (B-, D, C-)
  • As the Natural Born Thrillers are leaving the arena, The Insiders appear from inside their limo and beat them up. So happy to see Kev, in his twilight years, letting the young guys get over on him like always. Yes, that was a little bit of sarcasm. I love Kevin, but we have to do something. (C)
  • In the main event, Sid defeats Jarrett by DQ when the mystery man runs down to attack Sid. He unmasks, and it was Scott Steiner. That was an alright little ending, now let’s see what I can do on Nitro to right this. (C-)

Thunder Rating: C+
Worldwide Rating: C-
I’m sure there have been worse shows that WCW have put out, some of them even under my watch. The thing is, at this point expectations are so low that this actually comes off like it’s a decent showing. The edges need ironed out again, and hopefully on Monday I will be getting that taken care of.

They taped a match for Worldwide at the show too, Shane Douglas beating Norman Smiley (C-). I always felt Worldwide was worth keeping around as a recap and exclusive matches type show, so next week I plan on making it a little more worthwhile again.

I didn’t catch SmackDown on Thursday, but I looked up what happened on the show. They started a feud between Jericho and Benoit – just goes back to what I said about the two of them spinning their wheels. Sure enough, Steve Austin attacked Regal to put him out, and then Vince put Austin in the triple threat main event. They booked their first match for the Rumble, Edge and Christian against the Dudleys for the Tag titles. Angle defeated Rock by DQ when Rocky went crazy on some refs. Vince and his family drama took up some time on the show, around him announcing himself as the “troubleshooting referee” for the main event. He counted the three to put Austin through, so now it’s Steve Austin getting a title shot at Kurt Angle on Raw. Seems like something you’d hold for pay-per-view, but I’m not a billionaire genius, so what would I know. But it does look like something we need to do some serious building toward to try and pull some ratings in Nitro’s direction, so it’s time to buckle down.

I have a big meeting to attend on Monday to inform some people that the boss is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author
We are nearly through week one, which will be time for Eric to move in and take control. However, there is one more show to deal with: Guilty as Charged 2001. I wrote it up in this style (only without Eric, because I can't figure he would have watched it) so I will post it within the next few days. I'm still kinda figuring out how I want to write everything, I am definitely doing more pictures when I get to the meat of the game so it won't be this same wall of text in the future. Let me know what you think so far! I know there isn't a lot to go on given at this point I haven't changed anything, but I'm always interested in seeing what people think of where it is or where it could be heading.