Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 07/08/2010 > Total Extreme Wrestling 07/08/2010 Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM
All Star

Default Trell's Render Tutorial

*IF I CAN GET THIS STICKIED AT SOME POINT BY A MOD IT WOULD BE APPRICIATED *

Ok, because I am getting sick of hearing people say there is a huge learning curve to Daz Studio, and hearing about how people dont have the skills to make renders in Daz, I have decided to walk you through a basic way of making a WMMA2 Render, this render will go from nothing to something(except for the skin texture and lighting because that is for the next 2 tutorials). so I hope everyone enjoys it, and if you have any questions please ask them either in the thread of by PM.

DAZ STUDIO - http://download.cnet.com/DAZ-Studio/...-10717523.html - FREE - MUST SIGN UP ON DAZ3D.COM TO GET A FREE SERIAL FOR IT

MICHAEL 4 BASE: http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/m...item=7877&_m=d - SAME AS PROGRAM, MIGHT HAVE AN ACCOUNT TO GET FREE MODEL

THE GLOVES USED IN THIS TUTORIAL CAN BE BOUGHT HERE: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/i...rd+of+the+Road PRICE 12.95

SHORTS USED CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE: http://hotfile.com/dl/49317693/8f0b9...or_M4.rar.html

GOOD TEXTURES FOR SHORTS CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/frees...?item_id=52976 PRICE: FREE - SAME WITH RENDEROSITY, SIGN UP FOR A FREE ACCOUNT TO ACCESS THIER FREE SECTION.

ACTUAL SET OF MMA GLOVES AND SHORTS: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/i...D=11219.151201

Ok, I’m going to show you how easy it is and how it wont cost you more than an xbox360 game to get what you want out of Daz3d for WMMA 2 Renders.

First thing I’ll do is a simple render without the Morphs++ to show you how simple it is to make a character in Daz3d.

First thing you want to do is load the M4 Figure, he is located under Figures/Daz People

Something like this should show up, you probably wont have a lot of these if your just starting out,

load what you have there.

This is what should appear

The next thing I do is load the free shorts I found on Daz3d.com, which can be found under figures/Channing.
This is what it should look like after you have loaded the shorts

The next thing I want to do is make them fit M4, you can do this by hitting the Fit to button on the right of the screen

When you select Michael 4, you should get this result

The next thing I do is add the gloves which can be found under Figures/Powerage/Lord of the Road

Ok, now before I pose I like to put the textures on the shorts and gloves, I’ll do the shorts first

First I make sure that I have the surface tab put onto the right side of the screen, you have access this tab by going into VIEW/TABS/SURFACES

Something like this should have popped up

I just move it up next to the parameters tab to save on room

Ok, next thing is to find the shorts in the surfaces screen

Now I am going to use a custom Texture, to show you how to put textures on

First thing you have to do is hit the little arrow to bring up a drop down menu

Next you want to hit Browse, and then locate your texture, for the shorts it would be under TEXTURES/ Kethaera/M4 Exercise

Now pick one, and it should look like this

Now the next thing I will do is to take the blue out of the shorts, this is as easy as hitting the blue bar on the right and turning it white

This should be your results

Ok, next I want to do the same thing for the gloves,

but this time the texture is going to be under textures\Powerage\LordOfTheRoad

And now select one of the textures, and you should see your texture change, it might not be that visible right off the bat but it will be once you pose him

ok, now that we have both textures, we are ready to pose him, I would normally add a skin texture to him but I don’t want to do that in this because I will do that in a later tutorial

ok, now to find a good pose for him, to find the poses go under pose, and you should have some free ones under POSES/DAZ Michael 4

ok, make sure M4 is selected under the Scene tab before picking the Pose

Now select the pose and see him go into it

Now just go up to the render option and click render settings

now this window should show up

Now what I do is go under the pixel dimensions and change it to custom

and unclick the contrain purportions button and now put 440 in the top left box and 610 in the top right box.

Also I like to go into the render to section and pick New window

Now, you should see something similar to this

Now I go up to the Maginfier and zoom him in and I use the cross arrows and the 3d button next to the magnifier to make him fit so the logo on the shorts are right above the cut off point and that his arms are still in the render

this is what it should look like

Now I hit render and you’ll see a window open and the render start to appear.

Now I know it doesn’t look like what others have put up

and that is because I didn’t have you add a skin texture or add custom lighting, but I will get to that in my next tutorial, this was just to show you how to do a basic WMMA2 Render, I will be sure to be back soon to get you going on lighting and skin textures
J

Last edited by Trell : 02-07-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Updated Shorts work working Link
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM
All Star

!Tyrese for M4 – Free - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/frees...?item_id=56240

Ok, well I’m back with Part 2 of my tutorial, I would suggest going through and doing part 1 of my tutorial because that’s what I’m going off of for this tutorial.

Ok first thing to do is find a texture that you like, I’m going to use a texture called !Tyrese for m4(which you can find the link for above)

First thing you want to do is go into pose and find the texture, it is located under pose/!Tyrese, once again make sure m4 is selected under the scene tab or it wont work.

Next you want to scroll down till you see something that says Tyrese full body MAT

You want to pick that, and you will see the model take the texture, now the 2 icons below the INJ and REM will not work if you don’t have the Morphs++, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t see a change in the character.

Now you should save and hit render again, to see the difference in what you had before till now

And here is a quick comparision incase you didn’t save your render(because I forgot to tell you to )

Now I’m going to say that if you are starting to get Daz I would definently invest in getting the morphs++ for M4, I know it is a little expensive but you cant do any morphing of the face or body without it, that includes adding muscle and adding different ethnicities to the faces. But if you want to put a little more in I would suggest getting M4 complete, because you get the Morphs++, a White skin texture to go with your Tyrese one, a short hair to use in the renders, and also some more clothes, if you check it out at daz3d it will give you full rundown, here are the links for the Morphs++ and the M4 Complete.

Morphs++ - $29.99
http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/m...item=7878&_m=d
M4 Complete - $49.99
http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=7879

Like I said if you are happy with making bald renders with the stuff I’ve supplied then I think the Morphs++ will work, but it cant hurt to get the complete because you never know what you are going to need down the road.

Last edited by Trell : 06-19-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
All Star

I’m back for Part 3 and probably the most anticipated part of the tutorial and that is lighting in Daz studio. they are very close to what Self and jtlant use and look at there amazing work, and plus they are FREE, which is always a bonus.

The lights I’m going to use are the ones Weidt used for his renders, and they can be downloaded here
http://hotfile.com/dl/49336209/99487...esets.zip.html

ok, this is going to be a little more difficult than most lights for daz that you might find online because these are not part of an installer and they must be merged with the scene itself. I’m going to say again that you should go through Part 1 and 2 if you haven’t because that’s what I’m going to base this off of.

Ok first thing you want to do is to figure out where you saved the lights and make sure you unrar them,

Next you want to go into Daz and hit FILE and MERGE

It should open a window like this(your foler will say something different, I have them labeled so I know whose lights I’m using as I have 10 different lights I use) when it does, just locate your lights and click Open

This is what you should see when you merge the lights with your previous scene

Now I’d say Render it and see how it looks, and if you don’t like it then use the Y Translate to move the light up or down, this is what I got when I rendered it with the light where it is

I think it looks pretty good there, so I’m going to leave it as it is, and now here is another example of what we started with and what we have now, in the 3 stages we have done.

ok, well that is the basic rundown of what it takes to get the lights going in Daz, as you can see from the 3 tutorials, we have gone from nothing and into a render that you can put into WMMA, I forgot to point this out earlier when you render and you save it, save it as a PNG, it will not have a background when you open it in Photoshop or Gimp and it will be easier to convert to a GIF which is what WMMA uses. I also recommend a PNG if you are using your Renders for TEW because then you dont have to cut a background out when you are putting it onto a Backgroud for TEW.

I"m going to be back tommorow at the same channel if you are interested in adding Muscles using the Morphs++, till then I hope you guys find these tutorials Helpful.

Also here is a total money spent update:

GLOVES $13.00

Last edited by Trell : 06-19-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
All Star

Tutorial for Masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlant View Post
Ok, very briefly...

To make a very simple, old school, two color mask...

1. Open the trans map that I posted in GIMP/Photoshop/any image-editing program. (My explanations will be in GIMP, so some tools may have different names in PS)

2. Using the fuzzy select tool, click on the white area of the mask. Then, Invert (Ctrl+I) the selection so that the black parts are selected. Now, Grow (under the Select menu in GIMP) your selection 25 pixels.

3. Now create a new layer that is above the trans map template. With this layer selected, use the Bucket Fill tool to fill in the selected area with the color of your choice. I'm using a yellow for this one. Clear your selection.

4. Now create another layer, placed under the layer you've created in step 3. Use the Bucket Fill again to fill the whole layer with the color of your choice. I'll use a blue.

5. Now save the mask as a jpeg, and you're done.

And you're done. You should end up with something like this...

I'm not sure if you're familiar with using textures in DAZ or not but, if not, just load up the mask and pull down the surfaces tab. Select the mask and select Browse from the drop down menu under the Opacity slider. Find the original transparency map and select it. This will put that shape onto the mask prop. Then select Browse from the drop down menu under the Color/Diffuse bar, and find your colored texture you just created. Now light and render.

This is about as simple as masks get, and the more intricate ones take some time to construct, but this should get you on the right track.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Trell : 10-05-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
All Star

Reserved 4 just incase
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Living Legend

The links to download the free shorts is not working. (The link you supplied to the forum works, but to actually get to the downloading portion from the forum is where the problem lies)

Nice tutorial there. I have been playing around with it for a bit this week and seem to be getting the hang of it. The problem for me is that I want to created people who look individual and I struggle to see how that can be done with limited hairstyles etc. I look forward to your next installment.
Unread 06-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Living Legend

Pretty awesome that you take the time to do this, Trell. Thanks a ton.
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM
All Star

ok London, give me like 5 minutes to find it on my External and I'll upload it to my hotfile account, then I'll update the link

thanks for the kind comments guys

EDIT: ok London, I uploaded the files, hope they work for you now

Last edited by Trell : 06-18-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Hall of Fame

This is helpful thanks.

Question: I just made a render quickly just to test it out and it came out very small what have i got to change to make it the correct size and what size would you recommend
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
All Star

it all depends on what you are using it for, For WMMA I would say 440 x 610 for the body and 300 x 300 for the head, if you are doing full body shots to display then I would say 1500 x 1500 would work well, thats what I usually use for my renders.
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Major League

Awesome start Trell. As someone who has struggled in all my attempts to even begin to understand daz, you've helped me make my first slightly human looking thing!

It doesn't have the gloves and looks completely generic in every respect, but it is a start haha.
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:04 PM
All Star

Thats why I did the tutorial, to show people how set up a scene everytime I do a WMMA render, atleast now you can have a starting point and go from there , eventually you will get your own style like everyone else has and you wont need my tutorial anymore
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Will be keeping an eye on this. Especially for the lighting tutorial, since imo that can be the difference between a render looking good or amazing
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM
All Star

That will probably come after the skin texture tutorial because the render looks better with a skin texture than it will with the plain texture
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Oh no doubt. And hopefully you'll be able to give some specularity schooling to curb people from making oiled-up plastic people with your skin tutorial