Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Grey Dog Software Think Tank > Mafia games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Locker Room Leader :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_lit_tears View Post
MmmmHmmm.

@Anti.

I have a feeling those will go into one of the many posts Derek told me to reserve.

Yup, game types and setups was one of the things I particularly wanted to talk about. We've had a number of variations of games on here and I think it would be if great benefit to new players and future mods alike to know about setups. But enough of that in here... lets all take the discussion to the discussion thread where it belongs.
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comradebot View Post
Heard about it mentioned waaaaaay back in SWM2, think it was a role used in one of the early GDS games.

Basically, at night you target someone and EVERYONE who targets you will instead target them. I think there may be a limit to how many times/how often you can do it. It's not exactly a common role.

EDIT: Upon hearing about it, I proceeded to start speaking in the thread with the Seinfeld "voice". "He's as slippery as an eeeeeeeeeeel. LA HA HA!!!
First time seen here was in the Outlaw's Forum Wars game. I got the role and it worked how you described. I targeted someone every night and as a result anyone who targeted me would then get redirected to my target.

The name of the role goes back to 'Bangers Rocky and Bullwinkle game when Bluestar and Slim Jim (both members of the red scum team) both fake claimed Maybe Dick (a mechanical whale) in an effort to get Slim cleared as town as Blue would be lynched and shown not to be Maybe Dick. The plan backfired though as no one believed a mechanical whale would be in the game lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
What about Game types?

Barebones, Themed, Kingmaker, then there is the DAM/Dust Variant.. not sure what that is called. Map based or movement based?
I would put DAM/Dust into a Survival category as it is necessary for townies to survive the game to win in that type of game.
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarevenant View Post
First time seen here was in the Outlaw's Forum Wars game. I got the role and it worked how you described. I targeted someone every night and as a result anyone who targeted me would then get redirected to my target.

The name of the role goes back to 'Bangers Rocky and Bullwinkle game when Bluestar and Slim Jim (both members of the red scum team) both fake claimed Maybe Dick (a mechanical whale) in an effort to get Slim cleared as town as Blue would be lynched and shown not to be Maybe Dick. The plan backfired though as no one believed a mechanical whale would be in the game lol

I would put DAM/Dust into a Survival category as it is necessary for townies to survive the game to win in that type of game.
LA HA HAAA!!
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarevenant View Post
Well, only if the mod says so. Those are just two exceptions. Outbreak was going to have movement and HP and locations, but not a survival clause (for everyone). You can't describe stuff too specifically. I'd go as general as listing elements that can simply be "on" or "off" as mods can easily pick and choose what elements to include.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:21 PM

Can you add Pro-town to the list? Thanks
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:29 PM

This looks great MLT thank you for taking the time to put this together, it's really helpful to have a reference guide for newer users like myself. You did a really good job on this!
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelliousangel View Post
This looks great MLT thank you for taking the time to put this together, it's really helpful to have a reference guide for newer users like myself. You did a really good job on this!
*cough* and Derek *cough*
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Star

I'd also like to thank both moon_lit_tears and derek_b for creating this stickied thread.
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Hall of Fame

Just read this, awesome job on it, MLT!
Unread 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Major League

Thanks to both derek b and mlt for putting this together. I know that it would've helped me alot when I first started, and it will make it so that (hopefully) no rookies will end up in a situation like I did.
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Super Star

At least you've now learned from your previous mistakes, Wrestling Century, though you still are prone to mislynches, as am I.
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Lastly, all mods reserve the right to decide who they prefer to have play their games. While "first come, first served" has been a common policy for deciding a player base there is no requirement for a mod to adhere to this policy, especially if they feel that adding different players would result in a more enjoyable game for all involved. Naturally, the reserve list will play home to any player who wants to play the game and doesn't make the cut.
I just want to draw attention to this as it's a new addition to the rules. It's never really been made clear before now but after some discussion with a number of players (you know who you are ) I added that in to the general rules so that it was clear. I know in the past that I openly banned at least one of JJreid's accounts from games I was involved in and others have said/done similar things. This is just an extension of that rule, written down for the benefit of future mods so that they know they can do this if they wish to and if numbers allow.

Ideally it'll never need to be used but in cases where a mod feels their game would be better off by selectively editting the player base to suit this will ensure they know they have that power and that they don't have to allow the first X number of players to sign up to be the player base. It is recommended that anyone signing up for a training game be allowed to play though... it's what they are for afterall, though sometimes establishing who is training and who is mentoring might be beneficial for those playing.
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Star

It's sad that I seem to offend some people but if they don't want me explicitely to play their games I'd rather they jut said that, as opposed to creating additional rules in order to halt my participation. I will try to improve relentlessly so that this rule will no longer apply to me specifically.
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
It's sad that I seem to offend some people but if they don't want me explicitely to play their games I'd rather they jut said that, as opposed to creating additional rules in order to halt my participation. I will try to improve relentlessly so that this rule will no longer apply to me specifically.
If you read the game threads you'd already know everything I sent you via PM, as it's been a common theme in every game that you have been a part of for a long time. As you never seemed to acknowledge it, it became clear you needed a push to make sure you understood it.

This isn't even a new rule, as it has been done before. It IS a reminder to mods and players alike that it can happen. Hopefully it motivates you and anyone else it affects to try to raise their game so that it is never an issue. We all want the best games possible and sometimes that involves pushing players to become better players.
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Star

I do read all of the game threads, obviously. Who else have you decided to send PMs to?