Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Grey Dog Software Think Tank > Mafia games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Living Legend

Just noticed that the Inventor role does not seem to be listed here. Unless I missed it while looking through the list.
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
Just noticed that the Inventor role does not seem to be listed here. Unless I missed it while looking through the list.
Skitzo isn't listed either.
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Locker Room Leader :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
Nope, just forgot to add it when we were making the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws7297 View Post
It's not a common role so it didn't make it into the common roles section. One day I'm planning to write a section for the more uncommon roles, but the section that is up is meant more as a quick reference for players who are getting the hang of things rather than an all encompassing glossary of mafia terms. Don't want to overload people with info when all they need to know is what something does and perhaps some hints on how to play the role.
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws7297 View Post
Skitzo?
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak42 View Post
Skitzo?
Example ^^

Derek, it seems half the players that aren't even so new don't know what a skitzo is.

Bak, look at my role in Sean McFlea's Classic Mafia game.
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:34 PM

I look up the mafia wiki page and the thread I'm in now and I see no mention of the judge role.

When I put a judge in my game on NLW, I thought it was a reasonably common role(not in that many games but in enough to keep it from being considered too rare).

A judge is someone who, by activating their power, forces all the players in the game to only vote for two people chosen by them.

Like if there were 6 players

player a
player b
player c
player d
player e
player f

Lets say the judge finds the two highlighted players as being the most suspicious. He/she activates their power and all players can only then vote for players b & d. One of them must be then lynched in that phase(but obviously if one of them is the mafia don or some other unkillable role, they would survive this).

Last edited by Rabbitman : 11-14-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:57 AM

Gus Griswald was a skitzo too(Recess & GDS Mafia Mafia).

Yeah Rabbitman, not sure if that one's ever been used here, but if it has it must be a shoe-in for the uncommon list. If you need some more roles for quick reference derek, maybe usurper, gunsmith and the siblings/lovers mechanic could be put up there.
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Black Phenom View Post
Gus Griswald was a skitzo too(Recess & GDS Mafia Mafia).

Yeah Rabbitman, that one's never been used here. If you need some more roles for quick reference derek, maybe usurper, gunsmith and the siblings/lovers mechanic could be put up here.
TBP what does the gunsmith role entail? I have never heard of that one before.
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:00 AM

In retrospect I'm not sure how common it is, but the role itself is rather simple - a player who targets another at night to see if he has a gun on him, and/or any other miscellaneous weapon on their person.
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:06 AM

It took me forever to figure out what an ursurper was..... I didn't kniw what it was till I read Dj's role pm in Classic mafia.
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Black Phenom View Post
In retrospect I'm not sure how common it is, but the role itself is rather simple - a player who targets another at night to see if he has a gun on him, and/or any other miscellaneous weapon on their person.
Only gunsmith I ever remember was MNN's claim in Lakeside. No one's ever really been one here, have they?
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Major League

All for having roles posted here. Let's try to hold the chatter down though. Don't need the thread closed.
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:13 AM

My most favoured role was where I picked 4 names and something random happened to the 4 people.

-One was killed.
-One was investigated.
-One was roleblocked.
-One was protected.

Have there been many similar roles to the above, used in GDS mafia?
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Let's see, there's some other uncommon roles:

Aides: (aka nurse, deputy, backups) When a primary power role dies, the aide can then step in and fill that role. For example, a Nurse (who is the back-up doc) might not have any ability at the start of the game, but when the town's doctor dies, the nurse gains the doctor's ability to save their target.

Inventor: Can create "items" that provide abilities that are then given to other players. Often the items are 1-shot abilities and the inventor may or may not get a choice in what's being invented (it could be chosen randomly or in a pre-set order).

Juggernaut: A super-powered SK designed to ensure the SK, a traditionally very difficult position, has an even shot at succeeding. A Juggernaut is an SK that is also bulletproof and has lynch resistence (but not immunity). OR a Juggernaut could be completely invulnerable to traditional mafia deaths (lynching or night kills) but might require some mechanism unique to the theme of the game to be brought down. (see mjd's Outbreak).

The towni equivalent is the Superman.

Mime: (aka mimic/clone/doppleganger) The Mime can copy the abilities of their target. There are often restrictions to preserve game balance by making them target the same person consecutively for a # of times before gaining an ability, or the ability is only in the form of a 1-shot ability, or even that the mime does not know what the ability does but they are forced to use it.

Mute: Cannot posting during specific phases (day phase or night phase). Often (should be) combined with useful and/or powerful abilities to offset the negative play experience of being unable to participate.

Pacifist: Can never cause death. Does not have a night kill, is unable to use night kills if given the ability (via cult recruitment, scum recruitment, inventor etc.) nor can their vote cause a lynch (i.e. their vote counts for 0)

Radio: Can send or recieve one-way messages. The purpose of this role is to allow private communication between one (or multiple) individuals without letting those individuals know who is on either end of the communication. These messages may or may not be posted publically as part of the theme of the game.

Sheep/Shepherd: A sheep is "lost" and needs to be found. At night the shepherd targets people, and if he targets the sheep then one or both of them may unlock new abilities (commonly they can form a mason group and communicate outside of the game). Altneratively, the sheep can look for each other.

Slaver/Sylar: A scum or SK role that has a night kill as usual, but also has the ability to absorb and use the abilities of their victims. This is usually restricted by allowing them to store only a single power at a time or only able to use one power at a time to prevent game unbalance.

-Team: A -team is added onto other roles where the power of the role is split among multiple people. Often 2-man teams are used, but there is no limit to the size of a team. Teams are almost always mason groups (so the players can coordinate their powers) and are often allowed to target either the same target for maximum effectiveness or multiple targets at a reduced effectiveness.

Thief: The thief can "steal" items or abilities from their targets. Often these become 1-shot abilities but care must be taken to acknowledge that thieves can also become investigative roles in the hands of clever players.

Time Bomb: A caveat added to some roles, which could be known or unknown, but when a specific action or event happens, the role radically transforms. This is usually related to the theme of the game. For example, when his love is lynched, a bodyguard might transform into a serial killer.

PP's theoretical ones that may or may not have ever been used:

Fixer: Can "repair" broken abilities. A counter to Silencers/Thieves/Roleblockers/Busdrivers/Framers. The fixer targets a person and that person's ability will go through and cannot be thwarted by someone targeting them. Note that a protector is targeting a victim so would still block a kill, but that kill couldn't be redirected or stopped via roleblocks.

A fixer could also be used to elimnate chance from an ability (so instead of having a 50% chance at doing something, the fixer boosts it to 100%).

Finally, the fixer could provide an ability to "cure" negative side effects of powers, like turning a paranoid cop (always turns up scum results) into a normal cop (results are based off of target's alignment).

Kryptonite: The antithesis to the Juggernaut, the Kryptonite role provides the mechanism for stopping an otherwise unstoppable character.

Patron/Mercs: Patron can put out bounties enabling Mercenary to perform NK's against them. This is often a scum group but one where the players do not know who their scum buddies are.

Traitor: Wins when his faction loses. A scum traitor would win if town wins, a town traitor would win if scum wins.

Spy: Someone belonging to multiple groups that allow extra-game communication. For example, a cultist who is also a member of a mason group, or a mason who is also part of a scum group. Often this transition happens during gameplay but could theoretically be built at the start of a game.

Suicide Bomber: A "bomb" role with the ability to target someone at night. If the Suicide Bomber is killed at night, they will not only take out their attacker, but also the Suicide Bomber's victim as well.

Fanatical -: Added to another role that has conditional triggers. For example, a bodyguard normally only stops kill attempts but a fanatical bodyguard would stop ALL attempts to target their target. A bomb normally explodes only when targeted with a night kill but a fanatical bomb would explode whenever they are targeted by anything. Obviously, care should be taken when creating a fanatical role.

Also, as a note about game design I think we should have someone talk about how careful you should be about introducing random chance abilities into a mafia game. Mafia games are very difficult to keep balanced, and with all the different variables (i.e. players and abilities) occuring, adding random chance, especially as a crucial component to the game, reduces and possibly even eliminates skill effecting play for favor of random chance. Random chance is not predictable and thus there is no way to forecast the effects on a game.

Adding in an additional serial killer with only a 20% chance of killing can at the min/max result in 0 kills the entire game or an additional kill every single night. Having random inventions could result in multiple occurances of extremely powerful abilities or completely useless ones. Finally, having random chances at investigative results usually ends up being more distracting then helpful to a town.

In my opinion, a better way would be to instead plan it out so there is an actual system in place, even if the player's don't know about it. Instead of giving an SK a random chance of killing, have him kill every other night (or every third night). Instead of an inventor getting a random item, have a pre-planned set of inventions, preferablly increasing in potency as the game goes on. Instead of having a cop with a 50% accuracy, have him flip from paranoid to naive for example.

Having these known elements allow both the moderator to be able to treat each role as a known quantity and thus balance things accordingly (for example, most moderators should realize that having a paranoid or naive cop is actually a detriment to town and thus town should overall have increased power to accomidate for that).
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by praguepride View Post
Adding in an additional serial killer with only a 20% chance of killing can at the min/max result in 0 kills the entire game or an additional kill every single night.
True - but the two boundaries there are also the boundaries about putting an additional SK in and them hitting a PGO on Night 1 and lasting the entire game.

You just have to accept that games with high impact individuals (Serial Killer and Cult Leaders) can swing massively depending on how far those roles end up surviving. The game can't be perfectly balanced with them both being killed Night 1, as well as still being balanced with both being fully effective up to Night 8. As such having these individuals with percentage based abilities is just fine, just as long as you realise they could go off / not go off for several turns running. Just because the game swings in (say) scum's favour because the additional SK gets busy on the town shouldn't break the game, so much as turn it in one groups favour (and we've had several games this year where the side that "should" have won when the game has ended up out of balance for whatever reason haven't0.

If we want to run perfectly balanced games we need to keep the numbers down to under a dozen. I prefer games a bit larger and a bit more swingy (makes pulling out victories all th more memorable).