Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Bowl Bound General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM
GDS Developer

I'm not sure what to say on this. I just started a new career, advanced to the season and stopped in week 8. At that point, I had numerous +1 to +5 values on many of my younger players. Attributes rarely have inseason changes because the physical traits rarely change much during the season. Most of the changes involve the football skills grouping.
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Phenom

Wait a second, Arlie. You play your own game?

Anyhow, I, too notice changes throughout the season.
Unread 11-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Is it possible that I just wouldn't get any changes due to my coaches being bad? My OC is average for Developing OL, and I have a couple SO OL starters who are 1.0/2.0, so I expected to at least get a couple improvements with those guys over a 16 month period, but maybe not? I also have a redshirt FR OG with a 1.0/3.5 but I thought maybe redshirt guys didn't improve. I also have a JR TE starter who is 2.0/3.5 and a SO OLB starter who is 1.5/3.5; I kind of expected these two to have some sort of development despite me having bad coaches, but maybe not? The OC and DC are bad for development in all other areas (other then OL). I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some option I needed to check because having zero guys on the squad have any change at all in skills seemed suspicious to me... And it seems I'm not the only one to see this...

I just purchased the game yesterday, downloaded the latest off viatech (1.1 I think), downloaded the 1.5 patch, installed icy's real patch (would be surprised if this broke development), and started a brand new league. It seems unlikely I did anything in the installation process that would mess up player development.

I normally view my skills in the 1-20 range, but I've been setting the option to 100 to try and see if there has been any development (since nothing was showing in the 0-20 either). Do a midseason swap of the skill rating format shouldn't break development should it?

My game crashed when I fired my ST coach, so I have to restart in week 8 again. That gave me a chance to see if I see the exact same behavior (0 change) through the second half of the season again. I forgot to look at the ratings in week 16 , but I'm pretty sure there was no development. Looking at the screen in the offseason I have all " - " still, although I don't know when this resets...

Last edited by Rockpsl76 : 11-16-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Low Minors

I just finished up a season that was started in 1.49 and finished with 1.50. I had totally forgotten about this new feature until I read the post about them. I went in to check them, and I had no movment at all in the Attributes except in weight, but the skills (I think, dont have the game in front of me) had alot of movement.

Once the season ended, I believe I had a lot of attribute movement showing. The thing I dont like about it is that it appears that its on a 1-100 scale. I play 1-10 scale, so seeing a guy go up +28 in speed seems kind of weird. I just divide the number by 10 and round up or down and figure it that way (so the guy above would move +2 to +3 in speed). I have no idea if thats a correct ratio though. Doing that is doing math though, and the last thing I need to do to play a game is math

Actually, should I look at it as a 28/100 jump in speed, so if a guy has a 4 in speed the gain would be 4/28% = 1.12 = +1 gain.......?

Last edited by Nukester : 11-16-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Unread 11-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Just my $0.02. I've been playing my new career. To be honest, I can't remember if I started with 1.49 or 1.50. I think 1.50.

During the first season, I'm in week 9 and so far not seeing anything under player development. I'm checking the checkbox and going to Off/Def ratings.

The first season might be an easier time to see if this is working. That's because the first season doesn't begin with a training camp. So there was no player development prior to the first season. And thus the only numbers you'd see in year 1 would be the in-season development.

After year 1, at least in earlier versions of the game, you'd always see the changes from the previous training camp. That's where I'd expect to see some freshman I'd brought in get a +20 or something under a skill. I guess there was a lot of room for improvement.

A couple of notes: I usually play with a 1-10 ratings scale. But the numbers I've seen under the player development checkbox appear to be on the 1-100 system. Thus a "+6" is really the same as a "+0.60" change to my 1-10 style ratings.

Second, would there be a way of telling the in-season development from the pre-season numbers? I know you aren't working on this game much after the patch, but maybe its an idea for the pro game. Something like color coding or 'bolding' the numbers that change in season might be a nice aid here.
Unread 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
GDS Developer

yeah, the changes are on a 1-100 scale for player development on the roster screen.
Unread 11-16-2006, 03:58 PM

I tried simulating through seasons with BC and Notre Dame (better coaches), and I got the same results. No player development. I also checked all the other teams in the league and they showed no development, although I don't know if I'm supposed to be able to see development for other teams or not. I noticed everyone who was actually getting player development had upgraded mid season from 1.49. I'm wondering if there is something missing in the 1.5 upgrade that was in the 1.49 upgrade.
Unread 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM

Ok. So I reinstalled version 1.11. Then I applied patch 1.47. Then I applied patch 1.49. Then I applied patch 1.50. Then I started a new League and played as SDSU (great dev coaches). After simming through the first 15 weeks of the season I still show " - " for EVERY rating under the Off/Def Skills view with the "View player development" box checked. Skill ratings were being viewed on a 0-100 scale.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Arlie is the only one who actually has in-season development. I think everyone else reporting development is actually confussing off-season development with in-season development. Arlie, I think you must have forgot to switch some boolean or something in the release you built for download.
Unread 11-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpsl76 View Post
Ok. So I reinstalled version 1.11. Then I applied patch 1.47. Then I applied patch 1.49. Then I applied patch 1.50. Then I started a new League and played as SDSU (great dev coaches). After simming through the first 15 weeks of the season I still show " - " for EVERY rating under the Off/Def Skills view with the "View player development" box checked. Skill ratings were being viewed on a 0-100 scale.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Arlie is the only one who actually has in-season development. I think everyone else reporting development is actually confussing off-season development with in-season development. Arlie, I think you must have forgot to switch some boolean or something in the release you built for download.
I dont know. This screenshot was taken during week 21 just after the championship game was simmed, but before pressing the "Advance Stage" to Job Offers. I would think this would still be considered "in-season". I dont have an earlier save though

Unread 11-16-2006, 05:26 PM

But that is your second season. So that screen shows all of the player development from the previous year's training camp. Given the rather small numbers you have, I'd guess its not showing anything in addition to the training camp development...
Unread 11-16-2006, 05:48 PM

Here is a screen shot after playing through a full season. This is taken after the first year, so before any training camps are executed. As you can see there is NO development despite this team having a great Defensive Coordinator (Good/Good/Average for development skills).

Unread 11-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Low Minors

Yes, my picture was from the end of season 2. So I started a new league with 1.50. Simmed through weeks 7,8,12,15,and playoffs, checking along the way, and I did not get any movement in off/def skills. I simmed to halfway through recruiting and still didnt have any movement. Then my game crashed (That very very rarely happens, and I just think it was a memory thing where I should have saved and restarted the game after simming for a long time)

But, no, I did not get any movement during that first season. I am using a modified pstats file, but Im not sure how that would effect it. The only other thing I changed from default was I changed the scale to 1-10 (although I changed to all of the different scales and did not get any movement numbers either) and took over Air Force, and changed all of the options over to CPU delegation.
Unread 11-16-2006, 11:09 PM

I was using a Icy's mod originally, but when I tried reinstalling I did those runs with a totally unmodded system. So that screen shot above is without any mods being applied. It looks like what we are seeing is that player development is only working for Arlie, which would suggest maybe Arlie needs to rebuild the 1.5 patch...?
Unread 11-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Low Minors

I'm getting the same thing Arlie.
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Low Minors

Default player development

its working for me