Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > World of Mixed Martial Arts 1/2 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Low Minors

Default wow...make sure to backup your E license key

My primary hard drive crashed resulting in me losing my e license key. Want to talk about a headache trying to get access to the product again Lot of waiting and thumb twiddling for something that should be so simple.

E license is a nightmare. I'm sure it slightly benefits the company because it makes the software a little harder to pirate...but it does annoy actual paying customers. In my opinion, honest people are going to pay for the software regardless, and the scumbags are always going to find a way to hack/ripoff the product. And measures like E license only dis-services paying customers. It does nothing to slow down the scumbags. And you can only reset your license key once? Better pray you don't have a string of bad luck

Been trying to reinstate my license key for 3 days so far. Scott apparently checks his email once a day, and he finally reset my license key but I still need my order number, (sheesh) and there is nowhere to access that information on the E license website unless you send THEM an email which they forward to Grey dog software which starts the entire process all over.

So BACKUP YOUR KEYS!! Or be prepared to jump through firey hoops while juggling
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Low Minors

Not meaning to be deliberately contrary, but I have always found Elicense to be rather helpful. I seem to lose an order ID about every 6 months and they always come to the rescue. They typically take about 12 hours (but don't seem to work weekends), but considering I am generally asking for an ID for games purchased 2+ years ago, it would be grumpy to complain too much
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Low Minors

well your pretty fortunate..Im STILL waiting for them to email me my order ID. They already reset the license key, but somehow didn't bother to send the order ID. This has been going on for 4 days now.

Was thinking about grabbing TEW 2007 to check it out...but I don't think I'm going to buy any more greydog products unless its something I REALLY want. (like the next WMMA or something)

Process of just accessing what you paid for in an event like this is just too over the top for me.
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:56 AM

So did you just delete the email and forget to print out the page that says 'print this page?'

I also have found e license to be helpful usually same or next day, and for hard drive crashes. I can tell you that they have given me more than one license that has been lost.
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:12 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvnukervx View Post
well your pretty fortunate..Im STILL waiting for them to email me my order ID. They already reset the license key, but somehow didn't bother to send the order ID.
There are numerous warnings that you should keep your order ID somewhere safe - and specifically not on the same PC as the game - in order to help us quickly resolve your problem. If you've chosen to ignore that, I think it's a little rich that you're then laying all the blame back on us, as it seems that part of this delay is down to your own choice of ignoring our advice.
Unread 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Locker Room Leader :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvnukervx View Post
E license is a nightmare. I'm sure it slightly benefits the company because it makes the software a little harder to pirate...but it does annoy actual paying customers. In my opinion, honest people are going to pay for the software regardless, and the scumbags are always going to find a way to hack/ripoff the product. And measures like E license only dis-services paying customers. It does nothing to slow down the scumbags. And you can only reset your license key once? Better pray you don't have a string of bad luck

Been trying to reinstate my license key for 3 days so far. Scott apparently checks his email once a day, and he finally reset my license key but I still need my order number, (sheesh) and there is nowhere to access that information on the E license website unless you send THEM an email which they forward to Grey dog software which starts the entire process all over.

So BACKUP YOUR KEYS!! Or be prepared to jump through firey hoops while juggling
The whole process is simple if you read (and follow) the instructions you're given. To the best of my knowledge, E-license has not been cracked at all by anyone. Any software using it is pirate-proof (Arrr!!) and the only way to even vaguely get an "extra" license out of it is by getting it reset repeatedly. The fact that people DO get it reset at all when the company doesn't need to do it is pretty good customer service, I would say.

In future, I recommend either writing down your IDs and keeping them somewhere safe or save them in your email somewhere. At least your email is computer specific so you shouldn't be able to lose that.
Unread 02-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland View Post
There are numerous warnings that you should keep your order ID somewhere safe - and specifically not on the same PC as the game - in order to help us quickly resolve your problem. If you've chosen to ignore that, I think it's a little rich that you're then laying all the blame back on us, as it seems that part of this delay is down to your own choice of ignoring our advice.
Never laid the blame on greydog. Just simply stating that the process is a pain. Order ID retrieval in my opinion should be as painless as possible. My complaint had nothing to do with listening or not listening to Grey Dogs Advice, simply the difficulty associated with a very human mistake.

Quote:
The whole process is simple if you read (and follow) the instructions you're given. To the best of my knowledge, E-license has not been cracked at all by anyone. Any software using it is pirate-proof (Arrr!!) and the only way to even vaguely get an "extra" license out of it is by getting it reset repeatedly. The fact that people DO get it reset at all when the company doesn't need to do it is pretty good customer service, I would say.

In future, I recommend either writing down your IDs and keeping them somewhere safe or save them in your email somewhere. At least your email is computer specific so you shouldn't be able to lose that.
Not even going to get into it with you. There's no such thing as pirate-proof software, just leave it at that. And yes, I will DEFINATELY be writing down my IDs from now on.
Closed Thread