Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > World of Mixed Martial Arts 3 > World of Mixed Martial Arts 3 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM

Default Several suggestions

Several suggestions I've jotted down as I've been playing the game lately...

-Callouts and challenges. I know they're technically in the game, but they happen so rarely that I nearly made this post forgetting they were there at all. I'm currently on a UFC game, 40 events/409 matches in, and there hasn't been a single callout. Do they only happen with regen fighters, maybe? Either way, there should be far more, as there are in the real world. There are different ways to accomplish it - e-mails, Blurcat stories, post-fight interviews - and an algorithm to figure out who would challenge who shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe even base it on personalities somehow - loose cannons will challenge people way out of their league, short-tempered fighters will ask for title shots, serious fighters will look to challenge people they should be able to beat, etc.

-Better handling of retirements. I'm not completely against the "one fight or 12 months" rule, it's a lot better than "one fight or three months" was, but it seems really static compared to how retirements work in the real world. I don't have any issues with how the game determines which fighters retire, but I think there's the potential to mix up how the retirements work. Maybe some fighters say they'll retire at the end of their current contract, some say one more fight, some say one more loss, some say X amount of time regardless of number of fights, some retire immediately after a disappointing loss? There are any number of combinations.

-Post-fight interviews. I don't see why there can't be a one-line interview (or two, one with each fighter) after every fight, or at least every fight on TV/PPV. There's the existing "had a bad day" interviews, but you could play on the above suggestions and add call-outs or retirements (or "no, no retirement for me, I'm gonna keep going"), and there'd be more than enough material to have a strong rotation of generic interviews (whether completely generic like "it was a good fight and I'm happy to fight whoever they ask me to" or finish-based like "I've been working on my submission game so it was nice to see it pay off") for when there isn't some sort of other game dynamic coming into play.

-Fixing the weight class glitch. To give an example, I started a UFC game with Kyle Noke in the middleweight division, his default weight. After a couple bad losses, I dropped him down to welterweight. His first fight at welterweight, the weigh-in went fine, but when I clicked on the Tale of the Tape during the fight, he was listed as a 185-pound official weight. When I looked at his profile after the event, his 'weight class' was listed as Middleweight. The only way to tell he was in my welterweight division was through the 'Change Weight' button which showed him as welterweight. Don't know if this effects gameplay or not, but I've had a number of fighters switch weight classes and it's annoying to see the Tale of the Tape always listed them at the official weight of their old class.

-Have fighters fail drug tests outside of immediate post-fight tests. I'm not asking for a way to simulate Chael Sonnen and Alastair Overeem situations with multiple hearings and so forth as that would be incredibly dull, but the occasional out-of-competition suspension would provide a dose of realism.

-Bring back weekly TV shows, either as full-on weekly (like in WMMA1) or as seasonal (like Bellator in real-life and kind of similar to Touring companies in TEW). Obviously you won't have the roster to make it work unless you're playing as a UFC-type company, but for those times when you do have that massive roster, it'd be a nice option to have.

-Speaking of which, is there a code-related reason for the cap on the number of events and TV shows that can be booked at a time, or is it just to stop players from getting too far ahead of themselves? If it's not code-related, I don't really see the need for it.

-More variance in refereeing. The quick stoppages are nice, but other than when those are triggered, the game still feels very much like every fight is refereed by "Generic Competent Referee". Adding more randomness to how long before a ref separates fighters, stands fighters up, etc., could solve this without the need for adding referee characters. More missed calls would be nice too, whether it's missed low blows, late stoppages, point deductions for consistent fouling, etc.

-More situation-based fighting. Fighters who are clearly ahead on the scorecards going into the last round playing it safe, fighters who are clearly behind getting more and more desperate, etc. As well, if a fighter is 0 for 10 in takedowns in a fight, he should probably stop going for takedowns and start looking for another plan of attack. There doesn't seem to be much "this worked once so I'll try it again" strategy in the game on the part of fighters, more "I know I passed guard quickly last time, but the number generator says I shouldn't do it yet". That might be difficult to program though.

-More levels of fan feedback when matchmaking. WMMA1 had basically all the different rungs that fight ratings do (Excellent, Fantastic, Great, Good, etc...) and while going back that far isn't necessary, I'd like to know the difference between a co-main that could almost be a weak main and a co-main that the fans barely tolerate as a co-main. Or the difference between a prelim that almost gets 'decent undercard' status and pitting two unknowns against each other.

-More of an algorithm change, but along the same lines, I think name value should play an even larger part in fan feedback when matchmaking. To use a current UFC example, Tito Ortiz against absolutely anybody would be at least a decent undercard fight, because no matter how badly he does, he's Tito Ortiz and people will be willing to watch him fight (even if they might not pay for him, which is why he'd need the right opponent to be a co-main or main). But there are plenty of opponents who wouldn't get him to that level - so I guess maybe I'm saying the name value used in the calculation should be weighted toward the biggest name in the fight rather than being a strict average?

-Random incidents (like in TEW). Not often, obviously, but fighters do self-hype and get popularity boosts from it (Chael Sonnen!). There's already injuries and retirements, but I'd think the occasional other incident could make for a good addition. Maybe a fighter gets a big Reputation boost from winning a submission or kickboxing competition?
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPotatoHead View Post
-More situation-based fighting. Fighters who are clearly ahead on the scorecards going into the last round playing it safe, fighters who are clearly behind getting more and more desperate, etc. As well, if a fighter is 0 for 10 in takedowns in a fight, he should probably stop going for takedowns and start looking for another plan of attack. There doesn't seem to be much "this worked once so I'll try it again" strategy in the game on the part of fighters, more "I know I passed guard quickly last time, but the number generator says I shouldn't do it yet". That might be difficult to program though.
This especially. Some fighters are really dumb. I've had one fighter takedown an opponent in round one and two and been caught in a kimura sweep both times and had the rest of the round spent on his back getting bloodied up. What does he do in the third? Takedown, kimura sweep, TKO finish.

Same thing with leg kicks. I constantly have fighters kick the **** out of their opponents leg for the first and/or second round to the point where their opponent is falling over. And then in the third, they don't go for a single leg kick.

Good points all round, I endorse all of them.
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Low Minors

Really agree with these suggestions. They would be great to be implemented in WMMA 4 if/when it ever comes out.
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
All Star

Great suggestions indeed. Adam did warn us not to post with titles like 'several suggestions' and be more specific, but they are pretty diverse.

I'm also ALL in favour of a situational AI, as some are indeed pretty stupid. I've seen it happen irl too, of course, as the brain tends to be somewhat damaged in the ring (or instincts take over). Fighters with good skills on tactics should overcome this, though.