Friday | August 22nd, 2014 | Phoenix, Arizona
FRIDAY | AUGUST 22ND, 2014 | PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Friday Night Smackdown kicked off with Dolph Ziggler, the man who beat The Miz at Summerslam to become the new Intercontinental champion. Ziggler had a loud ovation from the fans when he entered and thanks them for their support. "The Show Off" said it was a pleasure beating Miz and winning the title, all in one night, and states that the belt is going to be around his shoulder for a lot more longer than it's been on The Miz. "Night of Champions is coming up and you know the usual: a night where every title is defended. So, with that being said, your new champion needs a new challenger.." Dolph said that he's laying down a challenge for anybody in the back who wants their shot at him and his title. "Quiet on the set, can we please have quiet on the set?" Moments later, The Miz walked out from the back, very angry and stepped into the ring. "There is only one man on this roster that's going to beat you and take that title and that's me!" Miz tells Ziggler that he won't make it to Night of Champions with the belt and that's because, tonight, The Miz gets his rematch with Dolph Ziggler!
"The Show Off" is now aware and he is ready for the fight. "I've already beaten you once, Miz, and just like Summerslam, I'm going to beat you again and steal the show." Dolph Ziggler drops the microphone and looks to exit the ring but The Miz pulled him back, yelling in his face, telling him he's not allowed to walk away from Miz while he's talking! Ziggler gets a little bit annoyed and he strikes his challenger, which ignites a fist fight between the two. The Miz swung his arm and Dolph ducked, going for a Superkick, but Miz dropped and rolled out of the ring, avoiding the attack. "The Most-Must See WWE Superstar of All Time" was seconds away from getting his lights knocked out and Dolph taunted at him and it looks like their match is bound to get very interesting.
1. EMMA def. SUMMER RAE; Summer Rae fell victim to the Emma-Lock and Emma was awarded the win.
After the match, as Emma danced, Summer Rae tried to attack her opponent but failed! "The Dancing Queen" quickly handed Summer Rae by hitting the VenEmma on her, shades of Santino Marella.
Backstage, we see Corporate Kane in his office, on the phone. Cesaro stepped into the scene and Kane had to end his call early to see what "The Swiss Sensation" wanted. "Well, Kane, I'm sure you watched Monday Night Raw and I'm sure you seen what I did to Sheamus and Rob Van Dam. I believe that was enough to prove why I deserve a shot at the United States title." Kane did indeed watch what happened; "Sheamus almost took your head off of your shoulders with a Brogue Kick but you quickly rolled out and retreated." He gets upset at Kane and the Director of Operations admits that he does think Cesaro is ready for a shot but it's not gonna' come that easy.
"How about this? Tonight, I want you to compete in a fatal-four way match and the winner becomes the new number one contender to the WWE United States Championship." Cesaro likes the idea but quickly changed his mind when Rob Van Dam was revealed to be one of the participants in the match. "The Whole F'N Show" will cross paths, once again, with "The Swiss Superman" on Smackdown!
2. THE WYATT FAMILY (ERICK ROWAN and LUKE HARPER) def. LOS MATADORES (DIEGO and FERNANDO) W/ EL TORITO; Harper and Rowan secured the win after Diego was nailed with a Discus Clothesline from Luke Harper.
After the match, Luke Harper and Erick Rowan was attacked from behind with Steel Chairs, by Chris Jericho! Jericho beat down on Harper and Rowan with a Steel Chair before sending them out of the ring. Y2J sent a message to Wyatt, here tonight, on Friday Night Smackdown.
Michael Cole put over the fatal-four way that will be taking place to determine a number one contender for Sheamus' United States title is up next.
3. NUMBER ONE CONTENDER'S MATCH TO THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - CESARO def. ALBERTO DEL RIO, ROB VAN DAM and SIN CARA; "The Celtic Warrior" Sheamus was at ringside to witness an impressive showcase from these four men, here on Smackdown. The fans were amazed with high flying action from Rob Van Dam and Sin Cara, who worked together against Cesaro and Alberto Del Rio. RVD and Sin Cara eventually went up against each other, countering each other's moves, until Van Dam knocked Sin Cara off of his feet with a Hurricanrana. Cesaro went off on all of his opponents, dishing out European Uppercuts left and right! Even sending his rival, Rob Van Dam, soaring through the air, only to get knocked out cold with a Swiss Death. "The King of Swing" picked up the win after he planted Sin Cara with the Neutralizer when he miscalculated a Springboard Rana.
We see Cesaro get on the top turnbuckle, taunting, specifically at Sheamus, who stood up and raised the belt in the air. Sheamus, say hello to the new number one contender to the WWE United States Championship.. Cesaro!
Paige finally arrived after her hot win at Summerslam, where she defeated AJ Lee to become a two-time Divas champion. "The Anti-Diva" said it felt good to be champion, once again, and it felt even better when she heard the referee count to three and was given the belt. "You know, 2014 has been a wild year for me, I mean.. I debuted after WrestleMania 30, I beat AJ Lee for the WWE Diva's title in my debut match, I ran through half of this whole division and fell short to AJ Lee. But.. the title just seemed to always come right back to where it really belongs. Over my shoulder." Paige hoped that AJ learned her lesson and that Paige is not someone to mess with! "The Diva of Tomorrow" raised the belt in the air for everyone to see and then AJ Lee made her presence known in the US Airways Center.
AJ skipped out from the back and all around the ring, ruining Paige's moment and eventually entered the ring. She was given a microphone and quickly told Paige "congratulations" and that she was right, 2014 had been a wild year for AJ Lee, as well. "Vickie Guerrero put 13 other Divas in my way at WrestleMania 30 and I still retained my title. Then, the next night you come a long and next thing you know, Paige is the new Divas champion. But then, here's the best part: I beat you in my return match for that title, remember?" AJ Lee also gave credit to Paige's incredible wrestling skills but she still believes AJ Lee's talent is inferior compared to "The Anti-Diva". She tells Paige that she wants to close this chapter of her career, she wants to end this 'rivalry' with Paige, once and for all. "AJ, I was thinking the same thing. But it's not up to us, it's up to them!" Paige pointed at the WWE Universe and asked if they wanted to see AJ Lee versus Paige, one.. more.. time and after a couple of "Yes!" chants from the fans, it looked like it was going to be made official.
"Well that's too bad, you're not getting one." said Paige as she laughs and the fans boo "The Anti-Diva". She informed AJ that their chapter ended at the exact moment she was crowned the new Divas champion. "So, you can take your proposal and shove it! You are not touching this title, anytime soon, AJ and there is nothing you can do about it." AJ Lee laughs and said that it was an excuse. AJ knows the real reason why Paige won't give her a rematch! "It's because you're afraid that I'm going to beat you again for the Diva's title, isn't it? It's happened before, so you know it can happen again, don't you?" Paige looks confused and denies it, claiming she isn't afraid of anything and if she isn't afraid, then why won't she give AJ the rematch "she deserves". "I know what you're trying to do, AJ, and it's not gonna' work!" AJ Lee looks at her confused, questioning Paige, wondering what she means. Paige is unsure and a smile erupts on AJ's face moments later before continuing to try and get into Paige's mind. "Do the right thing, Paige, don't just prove to me, prove to these people that you aren't afraid of me. Prove that you aren't afraid to handle what's coming.." AJ drops the microphone and rolled out of the ring as her music played again.
"The Anti-Diva" was left in the ring, frozen, as we headed into commercial break.
4. NAOMI def. ALICIA FOX; Naomi and Alicia Fox went back and forth but it came to an end with the Rear View!
5. BRAY WYATT def. R-TRUTH; In quick fashion, "The Eater of Worlds" picked up the win with a Sister Abigail. Wyatt was clearly frustrated after the attack from Jericho on his Wyatt Family brethren.
Speaking of the devil, Chris Jericho made another appearance, this time he came out from the entrance! Jericho slid inside the ring and tackled Bray Wyatt to the floor before the two traded blows. As Y2J got the upper hand, the Wyatt jump scare popped up and the lights in the arena went off. Moments later, as the lights returned, The Wyatt Family stood off with Chris Jericho, seeking revenge on Jericho for his attack. The two go straight after Chris Jericho, stomping on his body, before Bray joined in and all three worked together to beat him down. Rowan and Harper set "The Best in The World At What He Does" up for another Sister Abigail from "The Eater of Worlds"! Wyatt got on his knees, right next to Chris Jericho, before shouting.. "Follow the Buzzards!"
A hype video is played to put over the WWE World Heavyweight Championship match, which will feature the champion, Brock Lesnar, and the challenger, John Cena.
Following the video, the cameras show, both, The Miz and Dolph Ziggler walking down the hall as we get ready to see the two clash.
5. WWE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - DOLPH ZIGGLER (C) def. THE MIZ; Just like Summerslam, Dolph Ziggler was victorious in defeating The Miz. The two went back and forth, not stopping at any given moment to beat the other, they were at each other's neck! A near fall occur'd after "The Most-Must See WWE Superstar of All Time" caught Ziggler with the Awesome Clothesline in the corner. Fans were relieved when "The Show Off" kicked out at a late two. It was crunch time in the final moments of the match, Dolph Ziggler missed a Superkick and it led to a Roll-Up pin by Miz, which the champion was able to kick out of. As soon as Dolph got back up, The Miz went in for an attack, but Ziggler weaved and nailed the Superkick, following it up with a Leaping DDT! "The Show Off" was feeling it, calling for the Zig Zag, but The Miz rolled out of the ring to avoid the finisher. Eventually, Miz returned to the ring and the action resumed and Dolph Ziggler knew exactly what he had to do. After countering a Skull Crushing Finale, he hit another Superkick and finally dropped The Miz with the Zig Zag maneuver, getting the win and retaining the belt.
The WWE Universe cheered as Dolph Ziggler retrieved his belt from the referee and celebrated with the title. On the other side of the ring, we saw The Miz, looking up at Ziggler in shock. The Miz has just lost to Dolph Ziggler, two times in a row! "The Show Off" has stole the show once again and rubbed the win all in Miz' face before he was done celebrating. Smackdown ended with a spectacular match between two great talent. Tune in, next week, for more.