Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2010 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmor View Post
But, but ... excuse my ignorance here but why go through that hassle if you can just edit a guy in the editor to your liking? Am I missing something? I mean both is more or less cheating, right?
I think you're missing the point of it.

In previous games (when I used this tactic actively), TEW had a really hard cap on certain things (overness/popularity being one of them). So let's say you start a game intending to push a worker to 'International Superstar' but then you find out their overness is capped at 45. You'd use this tactic to "bust" that cap so you could actually get the worker to the level you want. In previous games, this happened a lot with women (which is why I used it so much) because so many of them lacked star quality in large amounts (which led to their destiny rolls/caps being low).

As far as skills are concerned, I could see this being a valid tactic to "seed" the world with people whose performance skills aren't capped at a low level. As we know, the game world begins to collapse on itself when you get 15+ years in since people don't tend to have the performance skills to really support a thriving scene (mainly psychology is lacking). Think of how many new workers debut with basics under 50 and abysmal psychology. So, you take a few workers, give them a maximum potential skill level in basics, psych, safety, selling, consistency, and release them "into the wild".

Or, you can do something like Eidenhoek said.
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Minor League

What am I doing wrong with gimmicks? When a worker has really bad momentum or a bad gimmick rating I try to freshen them up with something new and usually fit them with a gimmick that suits them as well as a gimmick that would be around their heel/face performance but more often than not when they change the gimmick it ends up getting a horrible rating and then the worker gets pissed for having a crappy gimmick and personally I don't feel it's all that crappy for them, it's not like I make them the Gobbly Gooker.
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
I think you're missing the point of it.

In previous games (when I used this tactic actively), TEW had a really hard cap on certain things (overness/popularity being one of them). So let's say you start a game intending to push a worker to 'International Superstar' but then you find out their overness is capped at 45. You'd use this tactic to "bust" that cap so you could actually get the worker to the level you want. In previous games, this happened a lot with women (which is why I used it so much) because so many of them lacked star quality in large amounts (which led to their destiny rolls/caps being low).

As far as skills are concerned, I could see this being a valid tactic to "seed" the world with people whose performance skills aren't capped at a low level. As we know, the game world begins to collapse on itself when you get 15+ years in since people don't tend to have the performance skills to really support a thriving scene (mainly psychology is lacking). Think of how many new workers debut with basics under 50 and abysmal psychology. So, you take a few workers, give them a maximum potential skill level in basics, psych, safety, selling, consistency, and release them "into the wild".

Or, you can do something like Eidenhoek said.
Gotcha - to follow your example, if I set the worker with the 45 overness cap to 100 overall in the editor, would the game (cause of the cap still at 45) reduce the guy again, say after a loss or so...?
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohns44 View Post
What am I doing wrong with gimmicks? When a worker has really bad momentum or a bad gimmick rating I try to freshen them up with something new and usually fit them with a gimmick that suits them as well as a gimmick that would be around their heel/face performance but more often than not when they change the gimmick it ends up getting a horrible rating and then the worker gets pissed for having a crappy gimmick and personally I don't feel it's all that crappy for them, it's not like I make them the Gobbly Gooker.
How often are you changing a gimmick for a single worker? Pretty sure you need to wait at least 6 months or the gimmick rating is going to tank anyways.
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmor View Post
Gotcha - to follow your example, if I set the worker with the 45 overness cap to 100 overall in the editor, would the game (cause of the cap still at 45) reduce the guy again, say after a loss or so...?
No. The worker would lose overness after a loss, yes, but they'd probably never see 45 again. You see, once you get to a certain level of overness (I think it's 91.1%), you gain what's called an overness floor. It was a feature added to prevent people from jobbing popular workers to oblivion (i.e. 0 overness). I believe once you break 91, the floor is 60 or something.

But to bust the cap, you'd set their overness back to its original level. Then, once they pass whatever the floor is, they won't be able to fall too far beneath it.
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
How often are you changing a gimmick for a single worker? Pretty sure you need to wait at least 6 months or the gimmick rating is going to tank anyways.
Does the game predetermine when the wrestler started with the gimmick like how it predetermines a wrestler's last heel/face turn, I'm not sure how to find that out and it may be the cause of it.
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Does the game predetermine when the wrestler started with the gimmick like how it predetermines a wrestler's last heel/face turn, I'm not sure how to find that out and it may be the cause of it.
If you are trying to change the gimmick that a worker started the game with then it shouldn't penalize you for changing the gimmick to early, but when you change a gimmick then you have to wait a minimum of 6 months from the time you changed it before it can be changed again.

As far as penalties go there are penalties for switching to a gimmick that requires time off-screen, too early. Like if you pick say the Biker gimmick at the bottom of the gimmick change screen it will say "In order for this gimmick change to be properly effective the character must be kept of screen for X amount of days". If you pick a gimmick that has that and you put them on screen the next day the gimmick will bomb also. Another thing is if you assign a gimmick change on the same show a worker is set to turn it tends to get a lower rating also. Its better to turn the worker on one show, and then change their gimmick on the next show. I'm not sure but I also think the segment rating the gimmick change takes place in might have an effect on the rating of the new gimmick.
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:20 AM
All Star

Quote:
If you click on the gimmick button on the worker's profile (the hat iirc) then at the top it tells you the current state of the gimmick (stale / stable / too soon to change etc) - so long as it doesn't say it's too soon, then you can safely change gimmick
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Living Legend

It's one of the things I find annoying about the game - you can't easily have a worker turn and switch to a completely different gimmick in close succession. I understand why not, but it seems so difficult to improve a gimmick rating that the simulating a truly drastic character shift is virtually impossible.

It'd be nice to be able to have a slow-burn turn option, for things like CM Punk's conversion from straight edge face to straight edge cowardly cult leader - not to mention how big a penalty the game'd give for his switch last summer from New Nexus leader and JTTS to straight edge company MVP
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Minor League

I think that is the problem, having the eye to switch when it is stale or keep it if its's stable despite how the gimmick rating is before trying to switch. The old if it aint broke adage. Another problem may be that running a show on the booking screen and going to the roster to switch a wrestler's gimmick and then having them debut it on that show may be a factor, even if the note says they can use it immediately.
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
No. The worker would lose overness after a loss, yes, but they'd probably never see 45 again. You see, once you get to a certain level of overness (I think it's 91.1%), you gain what's called an overness floor. It was a feature added to prevent people from jobbing popular workers to oblivion (i.e. 0 overness). I believe once you break 91, the floor is 60 or something.

But to bust the cap, you'd set their overness back to its original level. Then, once they pass whatever the floor is, they won't be able to fall too far beneath it.
Dang never knew this, thanks a bunch.
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Hey all. New. Ish. So bear with me please. Couple questions.

1. Is momentum/overness related to the entire game world or to your promotion only? As in if it's whole world, I have a guy with C, then for this small company he's in, that's pretty much maxed out. Vs if it's in the promotion then he should be able to get to A.
2. With the Antidote Web as his finish, is there some sort of spider infatuation to Joey Poison? If so, was thinking of bringing him back, turning face, & team with Jett as Spiders on a Plane.
3. Had some others but can't recall at the moment. Be back when I do.

Thanks.
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Rookie

Does post match and pre match affect rating?
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Living Legend

1. Momentum is internal to the company. Overness is the same wherever - C is a C whether you're in MAW, SWF or WEXXV. As you say, though, a C is worth more in a smaller company than a bigger one.

2. There's a Japanese worker with a spider attached to his face, I think. Sort of a mask-but-not-really. Might even be called Spider something. As for Joey, I think it's just a Poison/Antidote thing.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nova View Post
Does post match and pre match affect rating?
Short answer: No.