Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
All Star

Sanity has prevailed: ROH is now going to show the 10th Anniversary on iPPV (and, in honor of it being the 10th anniversary, it'll be $10 instead of the usual $15.)
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Countdown View Post
Sanity has prevailed: ROH is now going to show the 10th Anniversary on iPPV (and, in honor of it being the 10th anniversary, it'll be $10 instead of the usual $15.)
YES. Very happy about that. Now let's hope for a good main event. Steen vs Richards anyone?
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Hall of Fame

Greatly enjoying the Edwards/O'Reilly feud. It's always been weird the Team Richards/American Wolf divide, and I'm glad it's finally becoming something. Wonder how Adam Cole is going to fit into it.

Not great actors, but a cool relationship-based story that I enjoy.
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Living Legend

Well I saw some good news yesterday (well good news for me at least), ROH is finally being shown in my market! I wonder if it is being done in order to not alienate their fans in New England.
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM
All Star

Is there any way to catch their events Live from the PC? In a legal way, obviously. As I'm at home atm, I finally have some bandwidth left to burn on interesting stuff. University was kinda sparse with it.
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Is there any way to catch their events Live from the PC? In a legal way, obviously. As I'm at home atm, I finally have some bandwidth left to burn on interesting stuff. University was kinda sparse with it.
Live? Not the TV show. They tape about a month's worth of that at a time. They do put the show up on their website for free though.

You can watch the iPPVs live on your PC, though. The next one is the 10th Anniversary on March 4th, and they'll also have a pair of shows on iPPV over the Wrestlemania weekend (Friday and Saturday.)
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self View Post
Greatly enjoying the Edwards/O'Reilly feud. It's always been weird the Team Richards/American Wolf divide, and I'm glad it's finally becoming something. Wonder how Adam Cole is going to fit into it.

Not great actors, but a cool relationship-based story that I enjoy.
Cole fits in just fine. I dig it, although based on the whole "show don't tell" adage, I wish he'd been on screen to see the tension building.

Edwards vs O'Reilly on this week's TV was ace.
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
All Star

Quote:
Edwards vs O'Reilly on this week's TV was ace.
Good match, yeah.

I don't mind the Richards/O'Reilly vs. Edwards/Cole story, and I'm sure it'll be a good match, but I would have liked to see a more significant match headlining the 10th anniversary. Oh well; it should still be good, and I'm excited for the Briscoes vs. Young Bucks match. As long as they add a couple more matches I find interesting, I'll probably buy it.
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Not sure if it was just because they knew it was going to be a free episode, but the 28/01 RoH show was basically: Good match -> hype -> Grizzly Squash, LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAADDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS OF HYYYYPEEEEEEEE -> Good main event tag.

Kevin Kelly was on screen more than Triple H used to be on Raw.

Is that normal for RoH's TV nowadays? Or was that just because it was going to be a free show uploaded to Youtube? At one point there were two back-to-back segments that were just 10th Anniversary hype. At another point, there was a segment dedicated to KK hyping the O'Reilly/Richards/Edwards feud (Cole wasn't even mentioned) that we'd just seen a five minute video about.

#IWantWrestling, damnit! Especially from RoH!

I have no problem with good promo segments (always enjoy me some Steen promo), but a huge proportion of the show was Kevin Kelly's not-exactly-aesthetically-pleasing face shouting (can he not talk normally? Even Hog could get that bit right) about the 10th Anniversary show. And his commentary during the Grizz segment was cringeworthy (thought it was ok the rest of the time).
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Countdown View Post
Good match, yeah.

I don't mind the Richards/O'Reilly vs. Edwards/Cole story, and I'm sure it'll be a good match, but I would have liked to see a more significant match headlining the 10th anniversary. Oh well; it should still be good, and I'm excited for the Briscoes vs. Young Bucks match. As long as they add a couple more matches I find interesting, I'll probably buy it.
I agree with this statement. To me you need a stronger main event for your tenth anniversary show. It should be a title match, not a tag team match. Like you said I really do like the storyline of the main event, I think it is very well done and there is no doubt that the match will be good.

I am just not sure a tag match should be headlining their Wrestlemania. The undercard looks to be great. I am looking forward to the Steen/Jacobs match even though I felt that it was set-up in a rush job manner. To me they could have built it up a little better.

The WGTT vs. TANX will be great as well.
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Hall of Fame

It's not their Wrestlemania though, right? Final Battle's their big show. This just happens to fall on their Anniversary.

The match screams semi-main to me, but I'm into it. The rest of the card does next-to-nothing for me.
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
It's not their Wrestlemania though, right? Final Battle's their big show. This just happens to fall on their Anniversary.

The match screams semi-main to me, but I'm into it. The rest of the card does next-to-nothing for me.
Oh I did not know that Fnal Battle was their big one. Okay well I guess it does make sense having that as the main event.
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lyrium View Post
Not sure if it was just because they knew it was going to be a free episode, but the 28/01 RoH show was basically: Good match -> hype -> Grizzly Squash, LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAADDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS OF HYYYYPEEEEEEEE -> Good main event tag.

Kevin Kelly was on screen more than Triple H used to be on Raw.

Is that normal for RoH's TV nowadays? Or was that just because it was going to be a free show uploaded to Youtube? At one point there were two back-to-back segments that were just 10th Anniversary hype. At another point, there was a segment dedicated to KK hyping the O'Reilly/Richards/Edwards feud (Cole wasn't even mentioned) that we'd just seen a five minute video about.

#IWantWrestling, damnit! Especially from RoH!

I have no problem with good promo segments (always enjoy me some Steen promo), but a huge proportion of the show was Kevin Kelly's not-exactly-aesthetically-pleasing face shouting (can he not talk normally? Even Hog could get that bit right) about the 10th Anniversary show. And his commentary during the Grizz segment was cringeworthy (thought it was ok the rest of the time).
Yeah, I'm kind of with on that but I think that's the ROH TV formula: 10 minute opener / Hype or promo / possibly another short match / MORE hype / Then a 30 minute main event.

I don't mind since they do really well leading up to their main events especially since Lethal has been in many of them lately (like tonight, for me since I'm in central time, against Strong) and I'm not going to lie, I'm a huge fan of Jay Lethal!

Anyways, I think they hype more because they want people to buy the ippvs and dvds and stuff which is understandable because at the end of the day they gotta make moola! So yeah... I know you're post was a while ago but I figured I'd answer back.

BTW, is Chris Silvio supposed to be a hippy or something? I actually dig his wrestling style but didn't understand his tights and stuff.
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:33 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceP86 View Post
BTW, is Chris Silvio supposed to be a hippy or something? I actually dig his wrestling style but didn't understand his tights and stuff.
Tonight was the second time I have seen Chris Silvio, he didn't impress me the first time and I thought he was okay this time around. He might be a hippy that I don't know (if thats the gimmick they want to get across) but when I first saw him he reminded me of Superstar Billy Gram with the way he dresses so that might be the idea but I could be wrong.
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceP86 View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of with on that but I think that's the ROH TV formula: 10 minute opener / Hype or promo / possibly another short match / MORE hype / Then a 30 minute main event.

I don't mind since they do really well leading up to their main events especially since Lethal has been in many of them lately (like tonight, for me since I'm in central time, against Strong) and I'm not going to lie, I'm a huge fan of Jay Lethal!

Anyways, I think they hype more because they want people to buy the ippvs and dvds and stuff which is understandable because at the end of the day they gotta make moola! So yeah... I know you're post was a while ago but I figured I'd answer back.

I am not crazy about that formula either but I will say I would rather see it done this way then the typical 4 minute match that they have on RAW and Impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakerNGN74 View Post
Tonight was the second time I have seen Chris Silvio, he didn't impress me the first time and I thought he was okay this time around. He might be a hippy that I don't know (if thats the gimmick they want to get across) but when I first saw him he reminded me of Superstar Billy Gram with the way he dresses so that might be the idea but I could be wrong.
I think both of you are right he seems to be a hippy of some sorts. The thing is with that look you know he is a jobber right away. There is no way ROH would push a guy like that.

Also, I must say that now I get to see ROH on a regular basis I am not blown away by anyone as far as promos go. I kept on hearing how great Kevin Steen's promos are but to me they are kind of bland. The guys I think cut the best promos in the company are The Young Bucks. Even Jay Lethal's proms just do not seem as good as they were when he was in TNA.